Belfast Newsletter - 8 March, 1852


March 2, at Montalto, Ballynahinch, the Hon. Mrs. Ker, of a son.

March 3, in Derry, the lady of Wm. Rogan, Esq., M.B., of a son.

March 1, at Lixmount, Edinburgh, the lady of Sir Graham Montgomery, Bart., of Stanhope, of a son.

Feb. 29, at Ballycommon Glebe, the lady of the Rev. Wm. Tarpin, of a daughter.

March 4, at Donoughmore, county Tyrone, the wife of Thomas Hamilton, Esq., of a son.


March 3, in the Parish Church of Dunean, by the Rev. Johnston Brown Godfrey, Mr. Wm. Dickey, to Miss Reed, both of Dunean.

March 2, at Ardglass, county Down, by the Rev. Chas. Campbell, Ernest, youngest son of Charles Thellusson, Esq., of Worthing, Sussex, to Emily, only daughter of Alfred Robinson, Esq., of Orchard Street, Portman Square, London.

In the Second Presbyterian Church, Omagh, by the Rev. Mr. Mitchell, Mr. Samuel Wauchob, jun., to Elizabeth, youngest daughter of the late John Tagert, Esq.


March 4, at Prospect, Letitia, eldest daughter of James Bristow, Esq.

March 2, Mr. John W. Moore, P.L.G., aged 44 years, son of the late Mr. Wm Moore, of Killairn.

Feb. 24, at 18, Windsor Grove, Old Kent Road, London, of rapid consumption, Henry Atkinson, formerly of Brookfield, Moy, and eldest son of the late Henry Atkinson, Ballyreagh House, county Armagh.

Feb. 29, at his residence, Caw Cottage, Berry, John Alexander, Esq., aged 82 years.

Feb. 28, at the Terrace, Frances, wife of James M'Crea, Esq., of Derry.

March 2, at Seaview, Joseph M'Blure Buchanan, son of the Rev. Alexander Buchanan, Presbyterian Minister, First Glendermott, aged four years and four months.

Feb. 29, suddenly, consequent on the rupture of a blood-vessel, John Fleming, C.E., Hill, Monaghan.

Feb. 29, at his residence in Merrion Square, Dublin, James Kenny, Esq., J.P., of Kilclogher, county Galway.

Feb. 27, at Portobello, the Lady Charlotte Erskine, third daughter of John Francis, twelfth Earl of Mar.

March 5, at 17, Rathmines, Dublin, of paralysis, Louisa, wife of Kenneth Cameron, Esq., Assistant Commissary-General.

March 2, aged 64 years, at his residence in Bookerstown Avenue, John Barry, Esq., for many years an officer of the Bank of Ireland.



Armagh, Thursday, March 4.

(Continued from last News-Letter.)


In the case of Ellen, Mary, and Catherine Maguire, indicted for the murder of a female child at Edenknappa, the court summed up, and the jury returned a verdict of guilty. Sentence deferred.

The court was then adjourned till next day.


The jury in the case of James Johnston, indicted for the homicide of James Galloghy, returned a verdict of acquittal.

The court then adjourned.

Armagh, Friday, March 5.


His lordship, Mr. Justice Ball, entered the court this morning at a quarter past ten o'clock.


The following gentlemen were empanelled as a Petit Jury to try the above case:--

Thomas Kerfort, Robert Moore, Henry Dickson, James Blair, George Hobson, John Caruthers, David Glass, J. M'Watters, J. Acheson, Christopher Cooke, Thomas Smith, and Henry Harcourt.

Paul Neal was indicted for the wilful murder of John M'Donnell, a labourer on the Junction Railway, in the parish of Newry, on the 15th November last.

Sir T. STAPLES stated the case for the Crown. The charge against the prisoner was for the wilful murder of John M'Donnell. Both the prisoner and the deceased were working at the railway, near Newry, and the last time the deceased was seen alive was in company with the prisoner. The prisoner was seen following the deceased along the banks of the Newry Canal, with a hammer which is used by the workmen on the railway. The evidence which would be submitted to them would be entirely circumstantial, no person having witnessed the murder. The body was found lying a short distance from Newry, with a frightful wound on the forehead, which might have been made by a hammer, such as the prisoner had in his possession, and which he had in his hand the day of the murder. The trousers' pockets of the deceased were turned inside out, so that the object of the murderer was evidently plunder. The learned counsel proceeded briefly to repeat the facts which would bo given in evidence, and then called the following witnesses:--

James M'Alister, examined by Mr. CRAWFORD -- I recollect the 6th of November last, being on the canal, between a quarter and twenty minutes past eight in the morning. It was on the Fatham line of the canal. I know what is called the Dublin Bridge. It was about seven hundred yards below it. I saw a man lying in the canal. He was lying on his back, and partially covered with the water. Part of his right foot was out of the water. I saw a hammer near him. It was in the county Armagh that the body was lying. [The hammer was here produced, and it looked a really formidable weapon.] I put a mark on it, and this is the same. I gave the hammer to Constable Bond. I took the body out of the canal, with the assistance of a man of the name of Joseph Rigby, and a man of the name of Wright. There was a knife, a snuffbox, two buttons, and a piece of sealing-wax, on the foot-path, about two feet apart. It was near the body. The body was dressed in moleskin jacket, vest, and trousers on. He had nothing on his head, and I saw no hat nor cap near him. I gave the things found to Sub-constable Wilson. His right hand breeches' pocket was turned inside out. His clothes, in other respects, were not disturbed. I observed on the hammer found the letters "W. D." The letters were stamped on it. The hammer was in the water. There was a house about one hundred and fifty yards from the spot where the body was found -- no person living in it at the time. There were vessels lying in the canal at the time. The nearest vessel was about two hundred yards off the spot.

Cross-examined by Mr. ROSS MOORE -- It was on the Fathom road I found the body. It was the high road leading from Newry to Carlingford and the ferry. The ferry was about four miles from Newry and ten from Carlingford. It was on Sunday I found the body. I did not observe any blood on the hammer. It was near Mr. Moore's property. I know the Warrenpoint Railway terminus. [A map was here produced of the terminus and the scene of the murder.] I know a man of the name of Francis Connor. He keeps a public-house. You must pass by Connor's house on going over the Dublin bridge, and round by the canal. The railway terminus is outside the town of Newry. You must pass over the canal and the river in going from the scene of the murder to the terminus. There is no bridge lower down than where the body was discovered. There were three vessels in the Albert Basin. One of them was a foreign vessel.

Joseph Rigby, sworn, and examined by Sir THOMAS STAPLES. -- Remembers the morning of the 16th November last. I was with the last witness. I saw the body taken out of the canal, and found two buttons and a piece of sealing wax on the pathway. The body was afterwards taken to the Ballybot Bridewell. I saw a wound on the right side of the head. It was a large wound, like as if it had been given by the blow of a hammer, with blood issuing out of it. There was also another small wound on the right side of the head. I and M'Alister went to the Police Barrack, and informed the police of the circumstance. We left two persons in charge of the body when we went to the barracks. I don't know the names of the two men. I held Wright's hand while he stooped down to the water to lift the body out. The body was in the same position when we returned as when we left it. Sergeant Bond and Constable Fry accompanied us from the barrack to the canal.

James M'Alister was recalled, and examined by Sir T. STAPLES -- There was a wound on the right side of the head and one on the left. There was clotted blood round the large wound. The wounds might have been inflicted by a stone or a hammer. I gave no charge to the parties I left with the body. Sergeant Bond and Head-Constable Whitley, and Sub-Constable Wilson, came with me to the body.

Constable John Bond, examined by Sir T. STAPLES -- The body was taken to a waste house. I saw the body at the inquest. Margaret O'Hare saw the body. The body, was clothed in moleskin jacket, vest, and trousers, with leggings, and gaiters.

Margaret O'Hare, examined by Mr. CRAWFORD -- I live at Knockanarny, in the county Down. It is within four miles of Newry. I lived with my father and mother on the 15th of November. I know a man of the name of John M'Donnell. On the 15th of November he was stopping at my father's. He was a lodger. It was on the Saturday before his death I last saw him. He belonged to Cork. It was between one and two o'clock on Saturday I last saw deceased. I gave him his dinner. He was dressed in a fustian jacket and waistcoat, to the best of my opinion. He had a "Scotch" cap on. He left our house when he got his dinner. She never seen him after till she seen him in Newry dead. About half-an-hour after he left I went on a message to Jerrard's Pass. I know a person of he name of Paul Neal. [Identifies him.] I met him

a little below my father's house, at the lock-house, that day. I spoke to him. I saw him before, but had never spoken to him. I never knew what he was called until I was brought into Newry. He asked me was it with me that John M'Donnell stopped. I answered and said that it was. I told him John M'Donnell was gone on before him to Newry. I said he would see deceased about the Dublin bridge, at Newry, or at the corner-house there. That was the message deceased left with me when he went out. Deceased was to meet the prisoner. I told Neal that was the message left for him. Neal had a stick in his hand, which appeared to be weighty looking, as I thought. It was nearly the colour of this board (pointing to the table on which she sat). The bark was off it. To the best of my opinion the stick was a yard or threequarters long. Prisoner also carried a small parcel under his left arm. The stick was tied up in a Turkey pocket-handkerchief with some few flowers in the border of it. Paul Neal was dressed in a dark one. [A red handkerchief produced.] The handkerchief with Neal was of the same colour. The prisoner had a pair of dark trousers on. To the best of my knowledge, he had a dark frock on. He had a black "jim crow" hat on. The crown was a low one. He had a black silk handkerchief on his neck. He was standing on the canal line when I met him. We both walked a little way along the line towards Newry. I had some conversation with him. I told Paul Neal that the deceased was in a sad state about the loss of his money. Neal said it was a pity of deceased. Neal also said that the deceased went down to his old lodging-house, at Poyntzpass, and the prisoner, who lived there, invited him to a cup of tea. I said to Neal that some of the labourers on the railway were making sport of deceased for losing his money. Paul then told me that the men said "the women" had taken it off him. I told Paul, as I walked along, that he (the deceased) could not have lost his money in our house. Paul then said, the deceased had given our house a good character. Prisoner then said to me, perhaps my brother and deceased might be in the "Pass" drinking. There were two public-houses at the "Pass," and I said he might go into the one house, and I would go into the other, and see if they were there, so that he might be detained. This was at Jerrards Pass.

To a JUROR -- I pass by Jerrard's Pass in going to Newry.

To Mr. CRAWFORD -- I parted with the prisoner at Jerrard's Pass. I did not see the prisoner that day. I saw him the next evening (Sunday). I saw him in my father's house. He asked me for a drink. I could not tell what dress he had on. It was a little before the candle was lit. He asked me if "the boys" were home yet. I said not. When the deceased left the house the day before, my brother was with him. I thought these were "the boys" he referred to. I asked him where deceased was. He said he was not with him. Paul said he (the prisoner) was detained on Saturday at Goragh Wood. Goragh Wood is between Jerrard's Pass and Newry. The prisoner said he was kept at Goragh Wood, on the repairs of the road, till after dark, and after that he "fell into" a sheeben house. He told me to tell M'Donnell, when he came home, that he would be "up" in the course of eight days. The prisoner said he could give the deceased and my brother work for a twelvemonth. I thanked him, and he then left the house. I saw the deceased dead on Monday, in Newry. It was at the inquest. The dead body I saw there was the body of the deceased. The clothes on the body were the same as deceased had on when he left our house.

Cross-examined by Mr. ROSS MOORE -- It was only two fields from my father's house I met the prisoner. It was on Friday I had the conversation with him. My brother and M'Donnell went out together. I did not see the road he took. The deceased was not courting me. My brother came home on Saturday night. We were all in bed when he came home. My brother went away on Sunday morning to Camlough. My brother was taken to Newry by the police. My father received a summons to bring my brother and I to Newry, and we came.

A number of additional witnesses were examined, after which his lordship charged the jury, who returned a verdict of acquittal.


At half-past one o'clock, to day, the Grand Jury came into court; and their foreman, Sir W. Verner, handed down a bill of indictment, charging John M'Guinness with having conspired, along with Francis Berry and others, to murder Meredith Chambre, Esq.

After some legal argument between the counsel for the prisoner and counsel for the Crown,

Judge BALL directed the bill to be received and entered in the Crown book.

Previous to the rising of the court, however, the trial of all the prisoners implicated in the attack on Mr. Chambre was postponed, at the instance of the Crown, till next Assizes.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


Friday, March, 5.

The Right Hon. Judge PERRIN entered the Court this morning at ten o'clock.

PETIT JURY. -- Messrs. David Anson, Charles Hughes, Michael Annesley, John Douglas, Owen Devlin, William Paul, William Allen, Benjamin Marshall, Alexander Gibson, John Dobbin, Robert Keegan, and David Irvin.

Bryan Dally, for having had in his possession, at Cregan, it being a proclaimed district, two ounces and a half of gunpowder, on the 12th of January last. The finding of the powder in the prisoner's house was proved by the police, and it was shown for the defence, by two witnesses, that the powder had been got for the purpose of curing wildfire on the prisoner's son.

Not Guilty.

NEW JURY. -- Messrs. Alexander Pringle, John Reilly, William Dunlop, John Calvert, Joseph Jackson, Andrew Lawson, Richard Lindsay, Nathaniel Greason, John Watson, Alexander Hamilton, Charles Poster, John Hughes.

Michael Mullholland, for having had in his possession, on the 20th of January last, one half pound of gunpowder, in the parish of Killeavy, it being a proclaimed district.

Head Constable M'Donnell, proved that he met the prisoner at the Railway, about two miles from the Wellington Inn, on the evening of the 20th of January last; that he was out looking for the parties who shot at Mr. Chambre; that he searched him, and found six ounces of blasting powder in his possession.

The defence set up was, that the prisoner was working at the railway, where a great deal of blasting was carried on, and that he had occasion frequently to make fuses for blasting, and that he had the powder in his possession for that purpose.

Evidence was produced as to character. Guilty.


A jury having been sworn, Francis Murphy, a respectable young man, and employed by the Grand Jury of Armagh as Collector of County Cess, was then placed on trial for having arms in his possession in Lislea, that being then a part of a proclaimed district.

The case was not very important, nor the proof very damnatory. A pistol was found in the desk of his office, and a gun in his house.

Mr. O'HAGAN addressed the jury, stating that the young man was not the owner of the arms, and had no guilty knowledge.

The case for the defence was adjourned to next day at ten o'clock.

-- -- -- -- -- --


Saturday, March 6.

Judge BALL entered the Crown court at a quarter past ten o'clock, when the following gentlemen were called and sworn on the

PETIT JURY. -- Messrs. Thomas Oliver, Andrew Templeton, John Rocks, Joseph Hare, Henry Magill, Robert M'Cann, William Marshall, Acheson Harden, David M'Cullough, Wm. Wright, Patrick M'Lorinan, and Samuel Scott.


Mary Murphy was indicted for the murder of her female child, on the 11th Nov., at Mullabrack.

Sir T. STAPLES stated the case for the prosecution, and then called the following witnesses:--

Margaret Shaw, examined by Mr. CRAWFORD. -- I live at Drumgean. I know Mary Murphy. I have known her three years. I lived in the house with her for a twelvemonth. She is not a married woman. We slept in the same bed. In the month of Nov. last she was in the family-way. I perceived it last on the morning of the 11th. I left her in bed when I went to my sister's. I returned home at eight or nine o'clock that night. She was not in the family-way then. She said she had taken a shivering and throwing off about two o'clock. I left home on Wednesday the 12th, in the morning early. I left the prisoner in bed. I returned that night. The prisoner was not at home then. I do not know what time she went away. She returned on the 14th. I supposed from what I saw that she had had a child. She let me in when I came home. The door was barred. She was not in the habit of barring it when I was out. I was in James Jackson's on the 14th. I saw Mary Murphy there. She came in a little after I went. She asked Mary Jackson the reason why I left the house. I left it because she had been two nights away. I did not sleep in the house when I found the prisoner not there. I went to my brother-in-law's, Thomas Campbell's, and stopped all night. I went back and stopped in my brother-in-law's again. On Friday I took my little things into James Jackson's, and remained there. I slept there on Friday night. She returned to her own house about two o'clock on Friday. The reason I gave to Mary Jackson for leaving was what I had seen in the house. The prisoner asked me what I had seen. I said no matter what I had seen. Mary Jackson then asked her would she like to know the reason. She said she would. Mary Jackson then said it was because she murdered her child on Tuesday night. The prisoner asked me did I see any signs of her murdering her child; I said I did not. I said I suspected she had had a child. I never saw a child with her. I saw her in her own house at dark on Friday. I left her in the house when I went out, and saw her come out of it in the morning about eight o'clock. I had no conversation with her on Friday. She came into James Jackson's on Saturday, and went away after a few minutes, I did not see her again till the police had her arrested.

Cross-examined by Mr. HANCOCK -- The prisoner had a child before. It died when it was about two years old. I have told all that passed on the occasion. I paid the prisoner for living with her. I paid the landlord for my part of the house.

To Mr. CRAWFORD -- I support myself by flowering, and a day's work when I can get it.

Mary Jackson, examined by Sir THOMAS STAPLES. -- I know Mary Murphy. I lived three or four perches from her. I saw her on the Monday. She was in the family way. I saw her, on Wednesday morning, washing an old cloth before the door. Her appearance had changed then. I was two or three perches off her. I was near enough to observe her. She came into my house, between one and two o'clock on the same day. She said she was trembling of cold, and sat down at the fire and warmed herself. She then went into her own house, and I did not see her again until Friday. She came into my house about two or three o'clock. My husband and I were in the house, and the last witness came in. The witness corroborated the evidence of the last witness, in several particulars, which it is unnecessary to repeat. She continued:-- I told the prisoner she was in the family way on Monday and Tuesday, and on Wednesday she was not. She said she had had two, and had killed them, and would kill two more before that day fortnight. She said the secret I did not know was the one I would keep best. I did not think she was serious, but I cannot tell whether she was joking or not. I said I would not keep it a secret, for I would have her taken prisoner before next day. She said she did not regard me.

Cross-examined by Mr. HANCOCK -- Margaret Shaw was present at the above conversation, and heard what was said. My husband was also present.

Mary Ann Munnion examined. -- I live at Mullabrack. I know the prisoner. I saw her on the evening of the 12th, with a little baby in her arms. I saw her on the road near Lord Gosford's cottage. It was about five o'clock in the evening. She had a cloak wrapped round her, and a bulk in her arms. A girl told me it was a dead child, and I asked her if it was. She said it was. I asked her when it died, and she said it died that day at eleven o'clock, in her arms. I asked her if she had got a husband, or where the father was? She said she was a married woman, but did not know where her husband was. She said she came from Gilford mill, where she had been looking for him. She went with me to my own house. I left her sitting on the road, and went to my own house. She came into my house the same night, about six o'clock, seeking lodging. After she had sat down, she took the child out, and laid it on a table. She stayed with me all night, and the child lay on the table. She took it away the next morning, saying she would go and see if some person would give anything towards helping to bury it. She returned in about an hour, and said she had got nothing. She had the same bundle with her, apparently, as she took away with her. She remained only a few minutes, and went away. I saw her again after dark. She came in and said she had got the child buried in Mullabrack Churchyard. I saw the child's face. It was red, and its mouth was nicely closed up. Its nose was a little flattened -- apparently pressed down. I thought the closing of its mouth was the cause of flattening the nose.

Cross-examined -- The prisoner made no difficulty to let me, or any one who came in, see the child.

John M'Stay, examined -- I am sexton of Mullabrack. I recollect Mary Murphy coming to get a child buried on the 13th November. She brought the child with her. It was in a little coffin. I buried the child. She said the child had died in her arms in convulsions.

Robert Hastings, constable, examined -- I was present shortly after the prisoner was arrested, on the 15th November. She was told by the head-constable she was arrested for either concealing the birth of, or making away with, her child. She said it was her good neighbours had "riz that upon her." She said she would make them all liars.

Dr. Joseph Lynn, examined -- I was present at the inquest. I examined the body of the child. It appeared to be a well-grown child. Its face and neck were preternaturally red. On the right side of the neck, about an inch below the ear, there was a mark of a contusion, and on the nose another. I then opened the body. The organs of the abdomen were healthy. In the stomach there was a small quantity of frothy blood. The lungs floated in water, in my opinion the child was born alive, and did not die a natural death. I think the redness was caused by blood being injected with violence into the vessels. The mark behind the ear had very much the appearance of being caused by the thumb. I think the hand being pressed on the nose to prevent breathing would account for the appearance there.

Cross-examined -- Dying of convulsions would have the effect of injecting blood to the vessels, and would cause a redness of the face. The redness of the face would not, however, in that case, remain.

Mr. Hancock addressed the jury for the defence, relying on the insufficiency of the evidence to warrant a conviction.

Judge BALL, then proceeded to charge the jury, who, after some time, returned a verdict of acquittal.


Mr. JACKSON here applied to his lordship, in the case of Samuel Warnock, convicted of manslaughter on Thursday, to have some witnesses examined as to character.

John Sturgeon said he was in his employment for two or three years, during which his character was good. He was a quiet and peaceable man.

Richard Hutchison gave similar testimony.

He was then directed to retire.

NEW JURY -- Messrs. Thomas Kirkwood, Wm. Boyd, jun., John Stanley, James M'Williams, Wm. Brownlee, Anthony Cowdy, John Dobbin, Henry Harper, Joseph Jackson, John Reilly, Wm. Dunlop, and John Deacon.


Michael Hart, for writing a certain notice, at Meigh, on the 2nd February, threatening violence and injury to any person who would pay rent in that district, distrain for rent, or take any land for which payment of rent had been refused.

The prisoner having been given in charge,

Sir THOMAS STAPLES stated the case to the jury. He did think it a most lamentable thing to see a person in the position of the prisoner, placed as he was. He had filled a most important post -- namely, the teaching of a national school. He had the teaching of the rising population of the country, and of instilling into their minds whatever he thought proper. He was possessed, of course, of extensive power, either for good or for evil. He was charged with writing two notices of the description contained in the indictment, which were posted on the Church and Chapel doors of Meigh, and on the Chapel door of Cloghoge. Sir Robert then read the first notice, which had underneath the figure of a coffin, and then that of a gun and a pistol. He also read the other notices, which were in similar terms, and had similar figures attached to them. He then called the following witnesses:--

William M'Donnell, head-constable, examined by Mr. JOY -- I know the parish of Meigh. It is situated in the barony of Upper Orier. Mr. Joy then put in the Gazette containing the notice proclaiming the portion of the barony in which Meigh is situated.

William Addison, sub-constable of police, examined by Mr. JOY -- I found the notice now produced posted on the chapel gate of Meigh. I know the school-house at Cloghoge. It is a short distance from the chapel. I took the notice home to my station, marked it, and gave it to Acting Constable Plunkett.

Cross-examined by Mr. O'HAGAN -- I heard of another schoolmaster being taken up, but I am not aware if it had anything to do with this business.

Margaret Lilly, examined by Mr. CRAWFORD -- I live at Clonlum. I took the notice handed me off the pier of the church gate, and gave it to Acting Constable Plunkett. I am sextoness of the church. I know the prisoner. I have seen him pass along the road.

Thomas Donaghoe, sub-constable, examined by Mr. PERRIN -- I found the notice handed me on the pier of Cloghoge Chapel gate, on the 2nd Nov. The school is about 8 or 10 yards from the chapel. Michael Hart is teacher of this school.

Thomas Plunkett, acting-constable, examined by Sir T. STAPLES -- I received the notice produced from Mary Lilly. I went to the residence of Michael Hart on the same day. I made search in the school-house first, where I found the documents produced. Hart was present when I found the documents. He stated they were in his handwriting. I got another from the prisoner, which I produce. He asked was he to be searched, when the other constable said he was, and he then put his hand in his pocket and gave the document. I found three documents in the desk. He admitted the handwriting of all to be his.

Cross-examined by Mr. O'HAGAN -- He told me where other papers were to be found, which I went and got.

Anthony M'Connell examined -- I am acquainted with the prisoner, about two years and nine months. I have been frequently at the school of which he was master. I have often seen him write. I am acquainted with his handwriting. The document No. 1, of the notices, I believe to be in the prisoner's handwriting. No. 2 I believe to be in his handwriting, also. No. 3, which is not specified in the indictment, I believe, also, to be in the prisoner's handwriting. No. 4, one of the documents found by the constable in the prisoner's desk, I also believe to be in his handwriting, as also all the others. I have seen some of them before.

The witness was cross-examined by Mr. O'HAGAN, with a view to shake his credibility, but nothing important was elicited. I have seen the prisoner write probably about fifty times. I never corresponded with him, however. It is from the style of his writing I swear to it. I cannot tell any grown person who saw him write in my presence. I have heard there was a reward offered in this case. I don't know the amount of the reward.

Thomas Seaver, Esq., examined -- I know the last witness. He has been in my service between two and three years. He brought two letters from the prisoner to me. He lived with my father as writing-master, and with me, from being an old retainer of the family. He got no wages, but I fed him and clothed him. He lived with the family altogether between twenty and thirty years.

Cross-examined -- I have been resident at Heath Hall only about three years. I was back and forwards previously. He takes care of my place, and does the writing that is required.

Rev. Richard Graham, Protestant clergyman of Meigh, examined -- I know the prisoner. I was in the

habit of visiting the school occasionally. The course I pursued was to examine the classes and make entries in the books. When I made the entry pointed out the writing with Hart's signature was not there. I am nearly certain of this. My impression is that the figures were there, but that the writing and signature of Hart were not.

Cross-examined -- The prisoner had been a long time teacher of the school.

The case for the prosecution then closed, and

Mr. O'HAGAN addressed the jury, in a powerful speech, for the defence, he urged that the evidence was insufficient to convict the prisoner with the writing of the notices in question. He then called witnesses as to character.

Samuel Ritchie, was acquainted with the handwriting of the prisoner. The documents shown to him are not like his handwriting. They are not his handwriting. His character has been good, and nothing else. He taught witness's children. Has been acquainted with him 23 years.

Cross-examined by Sir T. STAPLES -- The documents now shown him come nearer his handwriting than the others. These were the papers which the prisoner gave to the police.

Mr. O'HAGAN objected to the comparison of the handwriting in the two classes of documents.

The witness, however, continued to inspect those found by the police in the school-house, and said he believed them to be in the handwriting of the prisoner.

Thomas Fitzpatrick examined -- Received his education from the prisoner. Is able to form an opinion of his handwriting. The threatening notices shown him are not in the prisoner's handwriting.

Cross-examined by Mr. JOY -- The one now shown (one of the documents given by the prisoner to the police) is his handwriting. The prisoner does not generally write so small as in the threatening notice No. 1. The two are not in the same style of writing.

Rev. James Deering, P.P., was patron of a school which the prisoner taught in the county Monaghan. He taught there fourteen years. His character was excellent. Has frequently corresponded with him, and is acquainted with his handwriting. The threatening notice shown him is not, in his opinion, in Hart's handwriting.

His LORDSHIP then charged the jury, who had not returned their verdict when, our Reporter left.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


Judge PERRIN opened the Record Court at ten o'clock.

The jury, having answered to their names, the prisoner Francis Murphy, who was yesterday put on his trial for having arms in his possession in a proclaimed district, was put forward,

Witnesses for the defence were then examined, and proved that the public-house in which the arms were found was not the house of the prisoner, but was the house of his father, who had a license for having arms; that the prisoner only slept there occasionally, and had his office there for the collection of the county cess. One of the witnesses swore that the father's license was shown to the sub-inspector of police, when the gun was found; and that he had shown the gun to a policeman, about a fortnight previous to the time it was seized. He also deposed to the fact, that it was frequently behind the counter, so exposed that any person, entering the shop could see it.

Other witnesses were about to be produced by Mr O'HAGAN, when

Judge PERRIN intimated to the Crown that he thought they should not go farther, as there was no concealment, nor was exclusive possession of the arms by the prisoner proved.

Mr. JOY, on the part of the Crown, yielded to his lordship's suggestion, and the jury having found a verdict of Not Guilty, the prisoner was discharged.


Terence M'Ardle, for feloniously stabbing Hugh M'Cartin, at Derrynoose, on the 6th of May last, from the effects of which he died. There was a second count for a malicious assault.

The Crown, in this ease, entered a nolle prosequi, and the prisoner was discharged, on giving security, himself in 20, and two sureties in 10 each, to keep the peace for seven years.


Francis Murphy, who was acquitted of the charge of having unlicensed arms in his possession in a proclaimed district, was again put on his trial, charged with writing a threatening letter.

The Crown being unprepared to go on with the case, the prisoner was discharged on entering into his own recognisances to appear, if called on, at the next assizes, to take his trial.


Daniel Hardy was then put forward, charged with writing threatening notices in December, 1851. The prisoner was a national schoolmaster, and had been suspended by the Board until the result was known.

The Crown, in this case, as in the former, being unprepared to proceed, the prisoner was discharged on entering into his own recognisances to appear at the next assizes, on receiving a fortnight's notice from the Crown.

The court then rose.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


Downpatrick, Saturday, March 6.

About eleven o'clock to-day the following gentlemen were sworn on the Grand Jury before SAMUEL DELACHERIOS CROMMELIN, Esq., the High Sheriff.

1. Lord EDWIN HILL, M.P., Foreman. 2. David S. Ker, Esq. 3. John Waring Maxwell, Esq. 4. Roger Hall, Esq. 5. Robert Edward Ward, Esq. 6. William B. Forde, Esq. 7. Robert Gordon, Esq. 8. H. Montgomery, Esq. 9. R. B. Blackiston Houston, Esq. 10. John Sharman Crawford, Esq. 11. Charles Douglass, Esq. 12. Archibald Rowan Hamilton, Esq. 13. William Keown, Esq. 14. Robert Heron, Esq. 15. John Temple Reilly, Esq. 16. Henry Waring, Esq 17. George Dunbar, Esq. 18. Fitzherbert Filgate, Esq. 19. John Andrews, Esq. 20. George Shaw, Esq. 21. Philip H. Despard, Esq. 22. Thomas Gibson Henry, Esq. 23. Wm. R. Anketell, Esq.

The Grand Jury immediately proceeded to their room for the transaction of the fiscal business.

The County Surveyor (John Frazer, Esq.) read the following report:--


"MY LORD AND GENTLEMEN -- In accordance with the desire of the Grand Jury, the amount of applications for maintaining the public works is considerably reduced at this period. A larger levy was made at the last Summer Assizes for the purpose of meeting the expanses of an increased quantity of material, so that the chief coating of broken stone should be laid on during the winter season, and as little as possible during the summer. I shall, as far as practicable, endeavour to carry out the wishes of the Grand Jury.

"The works proposed to be raised off the county at large are as follows:-- "The sum of 92 10s. to repair the Diocesan School-house, situated close to Downpatrick. The repairs are quite necessary, to preserve this portion of the county property. To fit up three gas lights at the entrance of the County Court-house, 6 8s. 9d. Not only this part, but the different offices might probably, with economy and advantage, be lit with gas. To lower a hill in the town of Gilford, at a cost of 40. In the main street in the town there is a very short but precipitous and dangerous hill quite necessary to be levelled. The sum asked off the county is about one-third the actual expense of completing the work, the difference to be met by the inhabitants of the town of Gilford. To lower Walmsley's Hill, on the road close to the town of Kilkeel; amount, 362. The sum sought off the county is in aid of, and to complete, an unfinished work commenced under the Relief Act of 1847. The barony of Mourne has a continuous tax laid on it by the relief works; but, in addition, the cesspayers have, at the expense of the barony, completed works left undone under the Relief Act, doing all that they can to improve the main coast line from Kilkeel to Newcastle. The proposed work is very necessary, and should, in fairness, be levied off the county at large.

"For gravelling, fencing, and completing the works on the Ardglass road, there is asked the sum of 250 4s. 1d. The amount of this application need not necessarily be levied off the county at large. It may be levied off the county at large, or off the county at large and the barony of Lecale, in certain proportions, or entirely off the barony of Lecale, as the Grand Jury may think fit -- this arrangement having been, at the late Road Sessions, unanimously approved of, both in the barony of Lecale and county at large. The remaining items are instalments for work heretofore presented. As to the baronial expenditure in Upper Ards, an application appears for the sum of 90, to make 190 perches of new road. This sum will be about one-third the expense, the owner of the estate contributing the remaining two-thirds. 89 15s. has been approved of at sessions, for lowering a dangerous old bog road. This work is required.


"With the exception of 18 19s. 6d., to make a very useful and necessary footpath, in the town of Bangor, and the making of an approach to the Holywood Railway, there is nothing worthy of note.


"No. 58, 67, to lower Scott's Moss road. No. 76, 18, to lower hills in Ballynockan. Both necessary works.


"No. 101, 19 5s., to lower a hill, at Robert Shaw's land, in Cattogs. No. 112, 41, to re-build a bridge, at Mr. Porter's, in Lisleen. Both these applications are necessary.


"No. 8, 48 10s., to lower a hill, &c., at M'Master's, in Ballymacreely, road from Kilmore to Killinchy. This is a continuation of certain improvements carried along the line.


"No. 47, 25, to lower a hill, &c., at Arthur Magee's land, in Ballola, road Seaford to Dromore, at Ballylooly chapel. A necessary work. No. 144, 14 to lower a hill, &c., at Pat. M'Loughland's land, in Ballynagappog, near Cabragh chapel. No. 185, 70 to make 120 perches of a new road, between John Megraw's land, in Drumarkin, and ending on the post road, Mr. Peter's land, in same. A useful local road, near Rathfriland.


"No. 63, 60, to lower a hill, &c., &c., in Tanvally, road Banbridge to Castlewellan, near Monteith chapel, at Mr. Cleland's Mill. No. 99, 16, to lower, &c., in Tullymore, road Newry to Loughbrickland, near Glen chapel. A local line, but very useful to farmers.


"No. 65. 79 12s. 6d. to lower a hill, &c., at Mrs. Kerr's in Waringstown. The traffic upon this road is very great, besides, it is the mail car line, and leads from Banbridge to the Ulster Railway at Lurgan -- it is a very necessary work.


"No. 7, 34 19s 0d., to lower two hills, &c., at the end of the Gall Bog -- road Dromore to Banbridge.


"No. 55, 54, to lower a hill, &c., at Robt. M'Cammon's land -- road Castlewellan to Ballynahinch by Drumshad, much required.

"No. 82, 50, to lower two hills, &c., &. in Ballycrean and Magheraknock, road, Lisburn to Ballynahinch, on the old Lisburn line beyond Magheraknock Mill.


"No. 69, 250, for gravelling, fencing, and completing the works on the road from Down to Ardglass; or, as the Grand Jury may direct.


"The alteration of the works in the interior of the Court-house. I fear the sum stated in the application is rather limited to execute the works in a proper manner.


"No. 33, 49, to lower Adair's Hill, Kilkeel to Newcastle. A continuation of the improvements proceeding on the coast line to Newcastle.

"As to the general applications, as they appear in the schedule, I will endeavour to give proper information, by special reports, to the Grand Jury.

"As to the execution of the works on hand, the principal are:-- The lowering of Smith's hill, on the Scarva road. The works have been lying in an unfinished state during the winter season, and the inhabitants of the district have been much inconvenienced. On my noticing the contractor, he stated, that the wetness of the weather, and the clayey nature of the soil, quite prevented him from completing the work.

"The Scarva new road. -- The contractor has broken ground in several places along the line, and the works are being carried on remarkably well.

"The Rossconner hill, on the main line from Downpatrick to Ballynahinch, has, with the exception of the fences, been fairly completed.

"The new post road from the Quoile bridge, towards Killyleagh, has been well attended to by the contractor. The line will be opened to the public before next Assizes.

"Two hills, in the barony of Mourne, have been satisfactorily completed.

"The heavy rains which have fallen during a part of the winter having caused unusual floods, I regret to say that many sudden breaches have occurred in the bridges and roads of this county. Some of the principal are -- the Maze bridge, over the Lagan; Leggycurry bridge, near Hillsborough; Granshaw bridge, Dromara; Lisleen bridge; the Killen bridge; the Drum bridge; and the Kilmore bridge.

"The sea walls on the coast line, opposite Portavo, have been much injured, but no part of the works recently erected have given way.

"As to the different road sessions, held in last December, the road contractors, who had completed their contracts, received certificates, a liberal construction having been put upon the terms of the specification. Where the contractors have taken little or no care to fulfil their engagements, I have refused to certify.

"Prepared copies of the undischarged presentments are ready for examination. Statements and remarks are appended thereto, which will show the Grand Jury in how far road contractors have performed their contracts.

"In many cases there has been great neglect. Sums of money have been presented for useful and necessary works, which works have been left undone, or conducted in a manner very detrimental to the public.

"I beg leave to call the attention of the Grand Jury strongly to the non-fulfilment of contracts, and to request that the provisions of the 146th section of the Road Act may he consulted, to ascertain what can be done in the representing of the money of defaulting road contractors.

"During the late December Road Sessions, the magistrates and associated cess-payers in one barony allowed the applications for the payment of certain road contractors to whom I refused to give certificates. The view taken by the bench was, that when the stones were laid down and spread upon the roads, prior to the Road Sessions, the contractor had a right to put forward his accounts, which might, even on the refusal of the county surveyor to certify, be received and allowed by the court.

"On the other hand, the surveyor conceived that inasmuch as the mere fact of laying down the broken stones upon the roads forms only one part of the contract; and that, inasmuch as the specification agreed to by the contractors, expressly states that the contracts commenced at the Summer Assizes, 1851, and terminated at these assizes, during the whole of which time the contractor was bound to keep the road in proper repair, the county surveyor did not consider himself justified in giving certificates for post roads, and main lines, in the month of December last, for contracts which only terminate at these assizes.

"The prosecution of road contractors for non-fulfilment of contracts, as ordered by a late Grand Jury, will be fully detailed to you by Mr. Ruthven, the Sessional Crown Solicitor.

"In the month of last October, I examined many parts of this county, and found that road contractors had, in many cases, taken up too much of the roadway by heaps of broken stones. The offending parties were brought before the Petty Sessions, and, very generally, such fines were imposed as shall likely put a stop to such dangerous practices.

"In regard to the resolution of the late Grand Jury, to put the roads of this county under contracts for a term of years, I have been collecting such information as may be required, and necessary to maintain the roads in a fair state. In the drawing up of the specifications, I will endeavour to be as plain as possible, taking for a basis of such specifications the trimming of the sides of the road; keeping the road clean and level; the drainage of the road; the supply of best broken stone that can reasonably be procured; the keeping of the fences in order.

"These main points, if fairly performed, will secure good roads; and it is not unreasonable to expect, that any man taking a contract, should honestly fulfil his engagements to the public.

"I now lay a map before the Grand Jury, on which the mail car lines are coloured red; the main lines from town to town blue; whilst the main and cross lines are tinted yellow, which is respectfully submitted for their consideration.

             "JOHN FRASER, County Surveyor.

      "6th March, 1852."

After the reading of the above report, the ex-High Sheriff, Robert Heron, Esq., moved, and Thomas G. Henry, Esq., seconded, the receiving of the report, which was adopted.

The Grand Jury proceeded with the consideration of the presentments, going through the different baronies.

During the examination of presentments for the barony of Upper Castlereagh, one of the Grand Jury, Mr. Huston, of Orangefield, took occasion to state that since the introduction, by the county surveyor, of limestone gravel for the footpaths, and the basaltic rock for the repair of the roads, all taken from the county of Antrim, the roads and footpaths in the neighbourhood of Belfast, lying on the county of Down side, are very much improved.

The Judges are expected from Armagh on Monday. There are about sixty cases for trial in the Crown court, the majority of which are for very slight offences. There are seven records entered for hearings all of a trivial nature.


DESTRUCTIVE FIRE. -- TANDRAGEE, MARCH 4, 1852. -- A fire of a very alarming nature, and most destructive, broke out in this town last night, in the very neat steam-mill of Mr. Buckley. The mill quit work at eight o'clock, and Mr. Buckley and his clerk went through it and collected all the candles, and anything which might cause danger. Shortly before nine o'clock, Mr. Buckley went home, leaving all right, as he thought; but soon a fire broke out; and, at half-past one o'clock, the whole concern presented one mass of flame, nothing being left but blackened walls. There were 60 tons of oatmeal, 40 to 50 tons of Indian corn, and a large quantity of oats and meal, belonging to country people; and it is supposed that all has been destroyed. Every exertion was made on the part of the neighbours to stop the progress of the flames, but to no purpose; at half-past five o'clock, one side-wall fell, by which a policeman narrowly escaped being killed. He is severely hurt in the head. No clue has been had as to the origin of the fire; it seems to have been purely accidental. A shilling's worth was not insured, although Mr. B. had insured the mill sometime back, but let it drop. There are a number of men engaged in clearing away the ruins; the valuable machinery is nearly all destroyed, as is also a cottage which adjoined the mill, in which the clerk slept; nothing but the furniture of it was saved. The engine is greatly damaged. There may be some meal got, but it will be only fit for feeding pigs. Such a speedy havoc by fire has seldom been witnessed.


EMIGRATION TO VICTORIA. -- IMPORTANT TO THE INTENDING EMIGRANTS. -- We insert elsewhere a communication from Mr. King, which it is very necessary for the intending emigrants who have applied to him for free passages carefully to peruse. It will be seen that the issue of recent instructions causing the suspension of general emigration from Ireland, on the bounty system, does not apply to Mr. King's mission, for the present; but it is necessary that all who have received forms of application from Mr. King should send those forms to him without delay, accompanied with the requisite certificates, and that all who have not yet received such forms, if eligible persons, should take the means of procuring them which Mr. King recommends in his letter.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

THE EMIGRANT SHIP MILLAH. -- On Thursday last, in the Manor Court, the case of the unfortunate passengers by this vessel, which attracted so much attention when the details where brought before the magistrates at Petty Sessions, was again brought forward before Mr. S. M'D. Elliot, Seneschal, and a jury, by Mr. John Rea, solicitor, who appeared on the part of Pat. and James Duffy, against Mr. Thomas Quinn, by whom the Millah was chartered, to recover from him compensation for loss sustained in consequence of a non-fulfilment of his agreement to convey them to America in a proper ship. Mr. Seeds appeared on behalf of the defendant. The evidence adduced was similar to that formerly given before the magistrates at Petty Sessions, with the addition that the ship, besides being filthy and ill-ventilated, was "a floating brothel," in consequence of the gross immorality of the crew and some of the passengers. The defence was very ably sustained by Mr. Seeds. The jury could not agree as to their verdict, and were discharged. The case did not terminate until eight o'clock in the evening, but this was partly owing to the continued altercations between Mr. Rea and the Seneschal, the latter being obliged to call upon the solicitor to restrain himself in the choice of his expressions, and Mr. Rea persisting in his usual course, and in maintaining his right to conduct the case as he thought fit.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

SHOP LIFTING -- On the 4th inst, a decently-dressed woman came into a very respectable drapery establishment, in Lurgan, to purchase shoes, as she stated. It so happened that there were a good many pairs of fine boots lying on the counter at the time; and, as soon as the salesman turned round to get her the goods she asked for, she immediately made off, saying she had changed her mind. A short time afterwards, she went to the office of Mr. Wells to pawn a pair of boots, when Mr. Wells discovered that they were not fellows, and immediately gave her in charge of a policeman, who soon found that they were stolen from the establishment she had visited a short time previously. Informations have been sworn against her, and she is committed for trial.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

FIRE IN BALLYMENA. -- An alarming fire broke out in Ballymena on the night of Wednesday last, about half-past eight o'clock, in the shop of James M'Auley, haberdasher. The fire assumed a very alarming aspect at first, and numbers of the townspeople collected, with buckets of water, and used every exertion to subdue the conflagration. Several of the police exerted themselves, in a praiseworthy manner, under the directions of Mr. Jellett, to obtain ladders, and they succeeded in preventing other houses being burned, when there was imminent danger of their destruction. The premises in which the fire originated alone sustained serious damage -- the stock, shop fixtures, and a considerable sum of money having been entirely consumed.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

TESTIMONEY OF RESPECT. -- Mr. Nathaniel Wallace, of Drumawhey, very lately rented Hayfield, a farm in the immediate vicinity of Donaghadee. On Thursday, the 4th inst. (though the morning was rather unfavourable, and threatened rain), there was a good muster, and about forty ploughs entered the fields, to assist in expediting the business of the season, in presence of Mr. Samuel Douglass, jun. (one of the late proprietor's sons). The work was performed in a very masterly style. Mrs. Wallace, her sister, and her sister-in-law, gave a fair specimen of their hospitality in entertaining their numerous friends.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

SERIOUS ACCIDENT. -- On Wednesday last, at the Conlig lead mines, two men were nearly killed, and another severely injured. The miners on the evening shift had charged a "bore," and neglected to discharge it, and those on the morning shift having commenced to deepen it, not knowing it had been left charged, the "jumper" struck fire, and exploded, throwing the two men, one eighteen feet, and the other a shorter distance. One man had his under lip cut off, and some teeth broken; the second received severe bruises about the head and face, and it is feared will lose an eye; and the third got a serious wound in the knee. They are all progressing as favourably as can be expected.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

BANKRUPT. -- William Byrne, late of Comber, in the county of Down, and now of Belfast, in the county of Antrim, distiller, dealer, and chapman, the surviving partner of the firm of Byrne and Gaffikin (consisting of the said William Byrne and Arthur Gaffikin, now deceased), who carried on business as distillers and corn dealers at Comber aforesaid, to surrender on Tuesday, the 16th day of March inst., and on Friday, the 16th day of April next.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

On Monday last, the friends of Widow Molloy, of Clogher, near Bushmills (whose husband died of suffocation a few weeks ago), assembled on her farm, with twenty-one ploughs, and finished the ploughing of her land in good style before night. -- Coleraine Chronicle.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

BURNING. -- On yesterday se'nnight, a stack of oats, the property of Nicholas Scullion, of Ballyscullion East, in the Upper Half Barony of Toome, was set fire to, and burned to ashes. It is supposed to have been done maliciously by some person or persons unknown.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Samuel Murland, Esq., Woodlands, Castlewellan, has reduced the rents on his lately purchased property 17s, per acre, and has given his tenants every encouragement and assistance to build and improve.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

MARK OF ESTEEM. -- Mr. Alexander Crawford, of Ballyhay, lately purchased Green Hill, a farm not far from Newtownards. On the morning of the 26th ult, he had the pleasure of finding about twenty ploughs busily engaged in the fields. The day was unusually fine, and the work was completed to the entire satisfaction of all present, and especially the proprietor. In the course of the afternoon, Mrs. Crawford and her sisters entertained the large party to tea and its usual accompaniments.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

INCREDIBLE ATROCITY. -- Mr. Thomas Phillips, a respectable farmer of Brecknockshire, is now in custody, charged, on the information of a man lately in his employ, with having murdered his illegitimate infant, by causing it to be eaten alive by a sow! The mother of the child, who is alleged to have been present while the crime was being committed, is also in custody.





SIR -- During my recent visit to the North of Ireland, for the purpose of stimulating emigration to the flourishing colony of Victoria, it was currently -- and, as I have since ascertained, truly -- stated in the newspaper press, that the Government had issued instructions to their agents that no more emigrants should, for the present, be sent from that part of the United Kingdom to Australia. I must say I felt, at the time, a little surprised at the intimation; but as my mission had been undertaken at the express request of her Majesty's Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners, and as no official notice had been given to me of any change in the views and intentions of the Government on the subject, I completed the series of addresses on emigration, which I had previously arranged to deliver, in the full confidence that, if any such instruction had been issued, it was not intended to have reference either to myself or to the parties who might desire to emigrate consequent on my representations.

I am happy to say that, since my return to London, I have ascertained that I was not mistaken in my impression on this point; her Majesty's Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners have assured me, that, notwithstanding the issue of such instructions as I have referred to, and the consequent suspension of general emigration, on the bounty system, from Ireland for the present, free passages to the colony of Victoria will still bo granted to all eligible parties from the province of Ulster who may have been induced by my recent lectures to apply for the same. As this indulgence, however, can only be extended for a limited time, it will be necessary for those who received forms of application to have them carefully filled up and returned to me without delay, accompanied with the requisite baptismal and marriage certificates; and for such intended emigrants as I was unable to furnish with the necessary forms, when in Ireland, to send me a statement of their names, ages, and occupations, with those of their families, if any, before the 1st of next mouth, in order that application papers may be at once forwarded to them, should they be found eligible for free passages.

To guard against misapprehension, I would here repeat the statement which I made in all my addresses on the subject of emigration, viz., that free passages will only be granted to married agricultural labourers with their families, if not consisting of more than four children under twelve years of age, and to single female domestics servants when going out under the protection of a married couple. Applicants, when approved, will require to make contributions towards the purchase of bedding and mess utensils for the voyage according to tho following scale, viz:--

With grateful acknowledgments of the obligations I am under to yourself, and the other Editors of the newspaper press of Ulster, for your kind countenance and assistance, during my late emigration tour in that part of the kingdom, I beg to subscribe myself your very obedient servant,

Delegate from the Colony of Victoria.
23, Salisbury Street, Strand, London,
3rd March, 1852.


Why is a girl not a noun? -- Because alas (a lass) is an interjection.

Why are the crows the most sensible of birds? -- Because they never complain without a cause.

The most beautiful may be the most admired and caressed, but they are not always the most esteemed and loved.

Wisdom is the olive which springeth from the heart, bloometh on the tongue, and beareth fruit in the actions.

A poor spirit is poorer than a poor purse; a very few pounds a-year would ease a man of the scandal of avarice.

"They pass best over the world," said Queen Elizabeth, "who trip over it quickly; for it is but a bog -- if we stop, we sink."



THOMAS MOORE was born in Dublin on the 30th of May, 1780, the son of a small tradesman, who afterwards became a quartermaster in the army, It is not easy to decide when he first attempted verse. Upon looking back he could not discover when he was not a scribbler. In his thirteenth year he was already a contributor to a magazine; in his fourteenth he had addressed a sonnet to his schoolmaster; and some three years before he sent his production to the Irish periodical, he had distinguished himself in another branch of art by undertaking principal characters in amateur theatricals. Moore was privileged to be precocious without paying the penalty of precocity. When he was twelve years old, he accompanied his father, a Roman Catholic, to a patriotic dinner held in honour of the French Revolution, then a recent event, and regarded, as he himself tells us, as a signal to the slave, wherever suffering, "that the day of his deliverance was near at hand. Men's hearts, it has been written, are cradled into poetry by wrong. The early genius of Moore was, no doubt, nurtured by the sufferings of his race, and maintained in vigour and freshness until the decaying music of his native land came to claim him wholly as her own. The Act of Parliament having opened the University to Roman Catholics in 1703, the young poet immediately availed himself of this opportunity. The year following his admission, while still a child, he wrote and published a paraphrase of Anacreon's fifth ode, and then proceeded to the translation of other odes by the same poet, for which he vainly hoped the University Board might deem him "deserving of some honour or reward." Disappointed in his expectation he, nevertheless, continued his task, and occupied himself in improving his verses and illustrating them by learned annotations, until he reached his 19th year, when he quitted Ireland for the first time, and set out for London, "with the two not very congenial objects of keeping his terms in the Middle Temple and publishing, by subscription, his translation of Anacreon." The translation duly appeared in 1800. It was dedicated to George IV., then Prince of Wales, who, we may remark, received no further honour at the poet's hands.

In 1803, Moore had the misfortune to obtain worldly advancement. He was promoted to an official situation in Bermuda. In the year named, Moore set out for Bermuda, and subsequently visited the United States. The effects of the voyage were to subdue the admiration with which he had previously regarded "American institutions," and the publication, in 1806, of two volumes of Odes and Epistles. The well-known "Canadian Boat Song" owes its origin to this tour. In his passage down the St. Lawrence, Moore jotted down, in pencilling, upon a fly-leaf of a volume he was then reading, both the notes and a few of the words of the original song by which his own boat glee had been suggested. The volume was given, at parting, to a fellow-traveller as a keepsake. Years afterwards the book found its way back to its former owner, who, to his great surprise, discovered that the music of this celebrated glee was actually as much his own as the words. In the original note to the song, the reader is informed "that the words were written to an air which the boatmen sang to us frequently." Extraordinary as it may appear, the air had never been heard at all until Moore presented it, for all time, to the lovers of plaintive song and romantic imagery.

Two years after the publication of the descriptive sketches, illustrating the poet's travels, appeared the Works of the late Thomas Little, a gentleman, "who gave much of his time to the amatory writers." Long before his death Mr. Moore became thoroughly ashamed of Thomas Little and of the compositions of his wanton and salacious pen. The Fudge Family, written in 1817, after a visit to Paris with Mr. Rogers, the Twopenny Posting, and similar productions, full of point, wit, and polish, are unrivalled as political lampoons, and preserve to this hour their first exquisite relish. The apprenticeship of Moore was served when he commenced the Irish Melodies, which have rendered his name famous wherever music is cherished. From that hour his genius triumphed, and most deservedly.

The publication of the Irish Melodies commenced in 1807, and, continued at intervals, was concluded in 1834. They have been translated into Latin, Italian, French, and Russian, and are familiar as proverbs amongst the fellow-countrymen of the poet, and indeed wherever English is understood and music loved. A lengthened criticism of these admirable songs -- now sparkling -- now plaintive -- here glowing with fervour -- there laden with pathos -- all teeming with exuberant illustration -- is scarcely needed here.

The year 1812 found Moore, in his 23rd year, enjoying a well-earned fame, but on circumscribed ground. He had not as yet given to the world a long and continuous work, and shown how well he could sustain the brilliancy that seemed too keenly elaborate for a protracted effort. In that year, however, impelled by the suggestions of his friends, the poet resolved to take the field against his most favoured competitors, and to attempt a poem upon an Oriental subject, of the dimensions which Sir Walter Scott's then recent triumphs had rendered the poetical standard. A negotiation was at once opened with the house of Longman, but it led to no decisive result, and for two years the matter slumbered. Finally, an interview took place between Messrs. Longman and Mr. Moore, with a view to an arrangement, and before it closed, "much to the honour and glory of romance," as Moore with becoming pride relates, the publishers chivalrously undertook to pay the poet 3,000 guineas for his poem, even before seeing a single line of the production. In 1815, some progress having been made in the task, Moore wrote to his publishers, expressing his willingness to submit his manuscript for their consideration. The answer was in conformity with the magnanimity of the original engagement. "We are certainly impatient for the perusal of the poem," wrote Messrs. Longman, "but solely for our gratification. Your sentiments are always honourable." Another year elapsed, and in 1816, the work being complete, was placed in the hands of the publishers. In 1817 Lalla Rookh appeared, Messrs. Longman made no unsound or hasty calculation. The poem was hailed with a burst of admiration from sceptics as well as believers.

And no wonder! It was a triple triumph of industry, learning, and genius. The broad canvas exhibited a gorgeous painting; from beginning to end the same lavish ornament, the same overpowering sweetness, the same variegated and delicate tracery, the same revelling of a spirit happy in its intense enjoyment of beauty that characterised the miniatures and gems that heretofore had proceeded from the artist's pencil. So far from betraying a diminution of power, or an inability to maintain his high-pitched note, the poet pursued his strain until he fairly left his reader languishing with a surfeit of luscious song, and faint from its oppressive odours. We peruse the romance, and marvel at the miraculous facility of the writer who has but to open his lips to drop emeralds and pearls, like the good princess in the fairly tale. Nor does astonishment cease when we learn, that, eager and all but involuntary as the verse appears to issue from its source, the apparently effortless composition is actually a labour performed with all the diligence of the mechanic and all the forethought of science.

Moore had done something more than read over D'Herbelot. He had devoured every book he could get relating to the East, and did not rise from his occupation until he positively knew more of Persia than of his own country, and until his acclimated genius found it as easy to draw inspiration from the influences of a land he had never seen as from the living and silent forms by which, in his own country, he had been from his childhood surrounded. Eastern travellers and Oriental scholars have borne testimony to the singular accuracy of Moore's descriptive pen. Travellers, also, who followed the poet across the Atlantic, and visited after him Bermuda and America, dwell upon his scrupulous exactness in all his references to these regions, whether they regard monuments or manners. As far as Lalla Rookh is concerned, one extraordinary piece of evidence is most conclusive. The poem, translated into Persian, has found its way to Ispahan, and is thoroughly appreciated on the shores of the Caspian. In London, the poem looks like an exotic; there it is racy of the soil.

In the Autumn of 1817, and the fulness of his triumph, Moore visited Paris with Mr. Rogers, and picked up, as we have already noted, the materials of his Fudge Family, a satire written on the plan of the New Bath Guide, and intended to help the political friends of the satirist at the expense of their opponents. Time has taken away from much of the interest that attaches to those squibs of the hour, but age can never blunt the point of their polished wit or dull its brilliancy. The popularity of the Fudge Family kept pace with that of Lalla Rookh. In 1819 the poet went abroad again, this time with Lord John Russell. The travellers proceeded in company by the Simplon into Italy, but soon parted company, Lord John Russell to proceed to Genoa, Moore to visit Lord Byron in Venice. Moore had made the acquaintance of Byron in 1S12, when the latter, then in his twenty-fifth year, had just taken the world by surprise with his publication of the earlier cantos of Childe Harold, The poets took to each other as soon as they met, and their friendship continued unimpaired until death divided them.

Returning from Rome, Moore took up his abode in Paris, in which capital he resided until the year 1822. The conduct of the Deputy in Bermuda had thrown the poet into difficulties, and, until he could struggle out of them, a return to England was incompatible with safety. There were not wanting friends to run to the rescue, but Moore honourably undertook to provide for his own misfortunes. Declining all offers of help, he took heart, and resolutely set to work for his deliverance. After much negotiation, the claims of the American merchants against him were brought down from 6,000 guineas to 1,000. Towards this reduced amount, the friends of the offending deputy subscribed 300. The balance (750) was deposited "by a dear and distinguished friend" of the principal in the hands of a banker, to be in readiness for the final "settlement of the demand." A few months after the settlement was effected, Moore received 1,000 for his Loves of the Angels, and 500 for the Fables of the Holy Alliance. With half of these united sums, he discharged his obligation to his benefactor.

Great poets are, for the most part, masters of prose. In 1827, Moore appeared before the public as the author of a prose romance. The Epicurean, intended originally to be written in verse, retains the essential beauty of a poem. It reproduces the feeling and the fancy of Lalla Rookh, its soft and glowing colouring, and all its erudition. The spirit is borne along in the perusal with a soothing, dreamy, fascinating motion, yet is sustained throughout by a lofty, wholesome, and consolatory thought. In the Epicurean, Moore made amends for the levities of his youth, and for once the fancy of the poet was sublimed by the moral and religious aspirations of the teacher. Love had ceased to be mere gallantry. It is here the noblest, purest, best of human passions. The discontent of the Athenian philosopher -- his uneasy longing after immortality -- his communion with the devoted Alethe, move angelic in her nature than the angels of the poet -- her Christian martyrdom his own death, are all described with masterly skill, and with the finest perception of moral and artistic I beauty. If the eye of the sensualist is too palpably evident in many of Moore's metrical compositions, it is altogether invisible in the ethical romance, which is consecrated to piety alone. Never did meek religion present herself in more enchanting a guise before.

In 1825 (previously to the publication of the Epicurean) Moore wrote a Life of Sheridan, in 1830 he issued his Notices of the Life of Lord Byron, and in the following year the Memoirs of Lord Edward Fitzgerald, in all the biographies maintaining his well-earned position. In his Life of Sheridan he did not shrink from the difficulties of his task. To borrow the language of a critic at the time, "He did not hide the truth under too deep a veil, neither did he blazon it forth." Of Byron, Moore (influenced by his affection) thought more tenderly than the majority of his contemporaries. The character of the staunch ally, old associate, and brother bard, is finely painted in the Notices, and to the honour of Moore be it said, he knew how to stand by his departed friend while fulfilling his obligations to the public, whom it was his business to instruct. The History of Ireland, published from time to time in Lardner's Cyclopedia, we believe it to be the latest, as it is the most elaborate and serious, of our author's compositions.




SIR -- During my recent visit to the North of Ireland, for the purpose of stimulating emigration to the flourishing colony of Victoria, it was currently -- and, as I have since ascertained, truly -- stated in the newspaper press, that the Government had issued instructions to their agents that no more emigrants should, for the present, be sent from that part of the United Kingdom to Australia. I must say I felt, at the time, a little surprised at the intimation; but as my mission had been undertaken at the express request of her Majesty's Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners, and as no official notice had been given to me of any change in the views and intentions of the Government on the subject, I completed the series of addresses on emigration, which I had previously arranged to deliver, in the full confidence that, if any such instruction had been issued, it was not intended to have reference either to myself or to the parties who might desire to emigrate consequent on my representations.

I am happy to say that, since my return to London, I have ascertained that I was not mistaken in my impression on this point; her Majesty's Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners have assured me, that, notwithstanding the issue of such instructions as I have referred to, and the consequent suspension of genera! emigration, on the bounty system, from Ireland for the present, free passages to the colony of Victoria will still be granted to all eligible parties from the province of Ulster who may have been induced by my recent lectures to apply for the same. As this indulgence, however, can only be extended for a limited time, it will be necessary for those who received forms of application to have them carefully filled up and returned to me without delay, accompanied with the requisite baptismal and marriage certificates; and for such intended emigrants as I was unable to furnish with the necessary forms, when in Ireland, to send me a statement of their names, ages, and occupations, with those of their families, if any, before the 1st of next month, in order that application papers may be at once forwarded to them, should they be found eligible for free passages.

To guard against misapprehension, I would here repeat the statement which I made in all my addresses on the subject of emigration, viz., that free passages will only be granted to married agricultural labourers with their families, if not consisting of more than four children under twelve years of age, and to single female domestics servants when going out under the protection of a married couple. Applicants, when approved, will require to make contributions towards the purchase of bedding and mess utensils for the voyage according to the following scale, viz:--

Married couples under 45 years of age, 1 each.
Single men, over 14 years of age, and when going out as part of a family, 2 each
Single women over 14 years of age, 1 each
And children under 14 years of age, 10s. each

With grateful acknowledgments of the obligations I am under to yourself, and the other Editors of the newspaper press of Ulster, for your kind countenance and assistance, during my late emigration tour in that part of the kingdom, I beg to subscribe myself your very obedient servant,

Delegate from the Colony of Victoria.
23, Salisbury Street, Strand, London,
3rd March, 1852.


ARMY IN IRELAND -- February, 1852.

Six Regiments of Dragoons -- 2,050 Rank and File.

Royal Horse Artillery -- 2 Troops; 10 Companies Royal Artillery; Royal Sappers and Miners (a detachment of), and Officers of the Royal Engineers; 1,051 Gunners and Drivers; 18 Regiments of Infantry, and 16 Depots ditto -- 10,532 Rank and File.

Total, 19,693. Besides Recruiting Parties and Staffs of Militia Regiment, and 13,750 Constabulary and Coast Guards.

-- -- --

Major-General Bainbrigge, C.B., having proceeded from Belfast to England, on leave of absence, the troops serving in the Belfast district have been ordered to report to head-quarters, Dublin, through the District Staff, until the Major-General's return.


SALT-WATER A MORAL PHYSIC. -- A few days since, Mr. Samuel Black, of Kilnock, sent a servant to the Ballymena branch of the Ulster Bank with a cheque for a sum to the amount of 20. The servant did not come back, and Mr. Black hastened to Belfast, but failed in finding the runaway. The servant has since returned, and has given up all the cash minus some two or three pounds, which, he says, he expended. He states he intended to go America, but, on seeing the sea, he felt compunction for what he had done, and returned with the cash.


FATAL CATASTROPHE IN DUBLIN BAY. -- On Thursday morning, the Alert pilot-boat observed a brig between the Kish and Burford banks, apparently in distress. On coming up close, the crew of the pilot-boat hailed her, but receiving no reply, immediately launched their boat, when seven oF them succeeded in reaching the brig, six of whom got on board of that vessel. Having found her abandoned by the crew, they made all sail possible, steering for Kingstown Harbour. When they arrived, however, within one mile of the East Pier, she suddenly went down, and two of the pilots' crew were drowned. The crew had escaped in their boat, and were picked up by a smack and brought to Dublin.



BELFAST, MARCH 6. -- Wind, S.W. -- Weather, Gloomy.


MARCH 5. -- Blenheim, st., Fitzsimons, Liverpool; St. Julien, Curet, Nantes; Alida, Harding, Rotterdam. 6. -- Royal Consort, st., M'Kellar, Fleetwood.


MARCH 5. -- Prince of Wales, st., M'Neilage, Fleetwood; Lyra, st., Stewart, Glasgow; Erin's Queen, st., Silly, London. 6. -- Blenheim, st., Fitzsimons, Liverpool; Fire-Fly, st., Brown, Ardrossan; Laurel, st., Boyd, Glasgow.

-- -- -- -- --

Arrived at Cotton's Wharf, London, on the 2d instant, the Oscar steamer, from Belfast. At Liverpool, on the 2d instant, the Consbrook, Crosbie, from Corsica. At Dunkirk, on the 28th Feb., the Majestic, Ormston, from Belfast. At Bayonne, on the 27th Feb., the Hero, M'Glanahan, from Belfast. At Liverpool, on the 3d instant, the William Pirrie, Agnew, from New Orleans.

Sailed from Alicante, on the 23d Feb., the Julia, Gart, for Dublin and Belfast. From Queenstown, on the 1st instant, the Pilgrim, Harrison, for Newry. From Cagliari, on the 19th Feb., the Exchange, Thomas, for Belfast.

At Tarbert, Limerick, on the 2d instant, the Lima, Jones, for Belfast.

Entered for loading at Liverpool, on the 2d instant, the Indian Princess, M'Kinstry, for Leghorn.

Spoken, Feb. 29, off Cape Clear, the Lina, of Belfast, bound out. Feb. 26, the Ann Rankin, from New Orleans, for the Clyde.

The barque W. S. Hamilton, Murphy, from Glasgow three days out, for Galatz, on the 25th Feb., all well (no lat. or long. reported), by the brig Sarah, from Marseilles for Liverpool, put into Milford, Feb. 28.

NEATH, Feb. 28. -- Arrived, the Princess Royal, Leigh, from Glasgow; when off Port Patrick, on the 26th, calm and fine, a young man, named Walton, fell from the rigging overboard, and was drowned. It is supposed that his head, when falling, must have struck the ship's side, as he instantly disappeared. A ladder was hove overboard and also the boat, and every possible assistance rendered by the master and crew to save the young man, but all efforts proved useless.


For GLASGOW. -- The Royal Mail Steam-Packets Laurel, Stork, or Thetis, every evening (Sunday excepted), at 8 o'clock. Via Ardrossan. -- Fire-Fly, Tuesday, at 9 o'clock, evening; Thursday, at 9 o'clock, evening; Saturday, 1 o'clock, afternoon.

For LIVERPOOL. -- Tynwald, Minerva, Nimrod, Sabrina, or Ajax, Tuesday, 10 o'clock, night. Blenheim, Thursday, 11 o'clock, night. Tynwald, &c, Saturday, 6¼ o'clock, evening. Via Whitehaven. -- Queen, or Whitehaven, Wednesday, 3 o'clock, afternoon.

For LONDON. -- Oscar, or Erin's Queen, Friday, 8 o'clock, evening.

For DUBLIN. -- Prince, Queen Victoria, or Princess, Thursday, 2 o'clock, afternoon.

For LONDONDERRY. -- Fenella, Wednesday, at 8 o'clock, evening.

For MORECOMBE. -- Londonderry, Saturday, 5 o'clock, evening.

For FLEETWOOD. -- Prince of Wales, Monday, 4 o'clock, evening. Royal Consort, Wednesday, 5 o'clock, evening. Prince, Thursday, 6¼ o'clock, evening. Royal Consort, Friday, 6¼ o'clock, evening.

For WHITEHAVEN. -- Queen, or Whitehaven, Wednesday, 3 o'clock, afternoon.

For STRANRAER. -- Albion, or Briton, Saturday, 12 o'clock, noon.


^ top of page

Married couples under 45 years of age, ... ... 1 each.
Single men, over 14 years of age, and when going out as part of a family, ... ... 2 each.
Single women over 14 years of age, ... ... 1 each.
And children under 14 years of age, ... ... 10s each.