Belfast Newsletter - 24 May, 1866


BEGLEY -- May 23, at Portaferry, the wife of Mr. George R. Begley, of a son.

CLARKE -- May 22, at the Gasworks, Monaghan, Mrs. James Clarke, of a son.

DEANE -- May 21, at Dorset Lodge, Killiney, the wife of Thos. N. Deane Esq., of a son.

MacMAHON -- May 21, at Longford, the wife of Thomas J. MacMahon, Esq., Manager of the National Bank, of a daughter.

PORTER -- May 17, at Londonderry, the wife of D. C. Porter, Esq., Inspector of National Schools, of a daughter.

PETRE -- May 19, at Coptfold Hall, the Lady Catherine Petre, of a son.

St. GEORGE -- May 20, at the Provincial Bank House, Parsonstown, the wife of T. B. V. St George, Esq., of a daughter.

WADDELL -- May 18, at Sheerness, the wife of Lieut.-Col. C. D. Waddell, Royal Artillery, of a daughter.


BRUSHAW and FERRIS -- May 22, at the Wesleyan Church, Tandragee, by the Rev. Robert A. Devers, Thomas Brushaw, to Ellen Ferris, both of Gilford, County Down.

DOBBS and LEPPER -- April 18, at Bangalore, South India, by the Rev. R. Murphy, LL.D., Richard Stewart, second son of Colonel B. S. Dobbs, Mysore Commission, to Mary, eldest daughter of William Lepper, Esq., Laurel Lodge, Belfast.

FROST and CUFFE -- May 22, at St. John's Church, Blackrock, by the Very Rev. Monsignor Forde, P.P., Vicar-General, Patrick Frost, Esq., of Castlebank, County Clare, to Bidelia, third daughter of Laurence Cuffe, Esq., Monkstown.

KNOX and CRAIG -- May 17, at St. John's Church, Lewisham, John Knox, Esq., to Isa Craig.

MORRISON and ROBB -- May 22, at the Presbyterian Church, Dundonald, by the Rev. Edward T. Martin, Samuel C. Morrison, Manchester, second son of David Morrison, Killeen Cottage, to Lizzie, second daughter of Alexander Robb, Ballybeen, Dundonald.

MacDERMOTT and PARNELL -- May 22, at St. George's Church, Dublin, by the Rev. Richard Barton, Alfred MacDermott, A.M., Solicitor, third surviving son of the late William MacDermott, Esq., Dublin, to Sophia Katherine, third daughter of the late John Parnell, Esq., D.L., of Avondale, County Wicklow.

PEARSON and MUNDY -- April 10, at the Parish Church of St. George, Grenada, West Indies by the Rev. R. Fitzhardinge Berkeley, Rural Dean, assisted by the Rev. J. A. Anton, Rector, and the Rev. C. J. Branch, Major Charles Knight Pearson, the Buffs, of Thorn Coffin, Somersetshire, to Marian Catherine, eldest daughter of his Excellency Major Robert M. Mundy, Royal Artillery, of Hollybank, Hants, Lieutenant-Governor of Grenada.

RAE and JESSOP -- May 22, at Castletown Church, by the Rev. J. F. Battersby, William, eldest son of Captain J. Rae, Dublin, to Elizabeth Letitia, eldest daughter of Wm. Jessop, Esq., Castletown, Co. Westmeath.


BOTTOMLEY -- May 21, at University Square, Belfast, Marian Ethel, infant daughter of Henry H. Bottomley, aged 9 months.

HAMILTON -- Drowned at Maryborough, Queensland, Australia, in March, whilst bathing (three days after landing), Mr. John Hamilton, son of Mr. James Hamilton, of Moneymore.

MARSDEN -- May 16, at Colne House, Earl's Colne, Essex, Sidney Jane, wife of Lieut. Colonel Marsden, C.B., aged 59 years.

MURDOCK -- May 23, at 111, Durham Street, Belfast, George, youngest son of Hugh Murdock, aged 18 months.

SMYLIE -- May 23, at his residence, Cloneven, Antrim, after a protracted illness, Samuel L. Smylie, aged 62 years.

SMYTH -- May 22, at the residence of his mother, Budore, of paralysis, William Smyth, aged 43 years.

TAYLOR -- May 20, at Upper Leeson Street, Dublin, the Rev. John Taylor, LL.D., Vicar of Killinkere, Co. Cavan, aged 61 years.


NEW BENCHERS. -- At a meeting of the Benchers held on Tuesday, David Sherlock, Esq., Q.C., and Charles Shaw, Esq., Q.C., were elected benchers, in place of Serjeant Sir John Stanley and Wm. Armstrong, Esq., Q.C., deceased.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

ACCIDENTS. -- Yesterday, a man named William Kirkpatrick was severely injured by coming in contact with the machinery in a mill. He was taken to the General Hospital. -- Yesterday, a man named James Butler had his right hand crushed at the New Docks a by a large stone falling on it. He was also taken to the General Hospital.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

VIOLENT ASSAULT. -- Yesterday, a man named John Girdwood was brought to the General Hospital, suffering from severe injuries which it is alleged he sustained by a beating which he received from some person. His assailant has been arrested and lodged in the Police Office.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

ELECTION OF A WATER COMMISSIONER FOR CROMAC WARD. -- Mr. Robert Thomas M'Geagh, who recently sat for Smithfield Ward, has been elected a Water Commissioner for Cromac Ward. There were two other candidates -- Mr. John Moffatt, Ann Street, and Mr. Richard Connery. Mr. M'Geagh had seven votes, Mr. Moffatt two, and Mr. Connery one. Mr. Robert Greer presided.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

ROBBERY IN DUNDALK. -- On Last Sunday , whist Mrs. Benjamin Patteson and the members of her family were at church, the premises were entered and a cash-box containing about 90 in notes, gold, and silver, was abstracted from a wardrobe in her bed-room. The constabulary have made every possible effort to discover the thief or thieves, but as yet have not been successful. It appears that the only person n the house during Mrs. Patteson's absence was the cook, who was engaged preparing dinner. -- Correspondent.



[Before J. C. O'DONNELL, Esq., R.M., and E. ORME, Esq, R.M.]


Jane M'Cance, a notorious offender, was again brought up, charged by Sub-Constable Hunter with being drunk and disorderly in Police Square.

The prisoner was fined 10s and costs, and, in default, fourteen days' imprisonment.


Peter Torley was charged with being drunk, disorderly, and making use of party expressions.

It appeared that the prisoner, when arrested, was proclaiming himself the best "Papish" in Belfast.

He was fined 40s and costs, with the usual alternative.


Stewart Gillespie, a young lad, was brought up in custody, charged with stabbing a man named Robert M'Cartney.

Mr. Sheals appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. Rea for the defence.

Robert M'Cartney, examined by Mr. SHEALS -- I am a worker in Mr. Coates's foundry, at Prince's Dock. I am employed as an iron-turner there. The prisoner is an apprentice in the same foundry. On yesterday, whilst I was employed at a particular job, the prisoner came up to me and asked me to do a small job for him. I said that I could not do it until I finished what I was engaged at. He told me that it would not take me long, and I said that I did not care, for I would not do it just then. There were some angry words pasted between us, and I said that if he gave me any impudence I would double him in two. He refused to leave me, and I then took it into my head that I would force him to go. I gave him a little "tip" on the face with the back of my hand, but he still refused to go. I then went to put him away, and he struck me across the temple with a brass valve spindle. My left eye was wounded, and both my eyes were blackened. I also received two wounds on the bead. The spindle is sixteen inches long, and about 7-8ths of an inch in diameter. The prisoner also struck me with an iron "rimer."

Cross-examined by Mr. REA -- I got a great deal more than I deserved. I am a journeyman about three or four years. I was required to finish the spindle which the prisoner had in his hand.

What did you say to the boy when he asked you to finish the spindle? Sure I said that before.

Mr. O'DONNELL -- Did you use any offensive expression to him?

Witness -- I called him an abusive name.

Mr. REA here denounced the witness in most violent language.

Mr. SHEALS called upon their worships to make Mr. Rea retract the observations which he had made regarding his client. If Mr. Rea refused to do so, he would ask them to commit him for contempt of court.

Mr. REA refused to retract the observation, and again denounced the witness.

Mr. ORME said that he thought the witness was giving his evidence very fairly. He would not sit and hear such language used in the court.

Mr. REA contended that he had a right to make the observation.

Mr. SHEALS again asked their worships to call upon Mr. Rea to retract his observations. He thought that Mr. Rea, who had considerable experience, both in the Police Courts and the superior courts, should know better. He thought that Mr. Rea should be committed for seven days.

Mr. ORME considered that this discussion was most unseemly.

Mr. O'DONNELL said that it was the duty of the Court to protect the witness; but, at this stage of the proceedings, he could not control or fetter Mr. Rea. Whatever Mr. Rea said was at his own peril.

The cross-examination of the witness by Mr. REA was then proceeded with. Witness admitted that he had used abusive language to the prisoner, and struck him on the month, and that the prisoner did not strike him till about seven minutes afterwards.

Their WORSHIPS adjourned the further hearing of the case till Saturday, and allowed the prisoner to stand out on bail.


John Savage, licensed car-driver, was summoned by David Duff, car inspector, for carrying a corpse on his car on the 13th instant, contrary to the borough bye-laws.

Duff said that on the 13th instant he found the defendant in charge of a horse and car. There was a coffin and a corpse on the car.

Mr. O'DONNELL -- Was it the dead body of a child?

Duff -- It was. He was going in the direction of Friar's Bush.

Mr. O'DONNELL -- Then, for the time being he converted his car into a hearse.

The defendant admitted the charge.

Mr. O'DONNELL said that this was a case in which it became the duty of the magistrates to impose a heavy penalty. The bye-laws of the Town Council were very good for preserving the public, and he thought that they should be strictly carried out. No one could tell what the child died of. It might have been small-pox, fever, or some other infections disease, and the persons who were sitting on that car might catch that infections disease. It was highly improper to use the licensed cars of the town for hearses. They were made for the freight of the living, and not of the dead. The defendant was to pay a fine of 2 and costs.


^ top of page

Belfast Newsletter - 25 May, 1866


ADAM -- May 21, at Ennismore Place, Prine's Gate, London, the wife of W. P. Adam, Esq., M.P., of a daughter.

BROWNE -- February 4, at Durrow House, Christ Church, N.Z., the wife of Raymond Brown, Esq., late Captain 7th Royal Fusiliers, of a daughter.

GREER -- May 24, at The Wilderness, Lurgan, the wife of Mr. William Greer, of a daughter.

JACKSON -- May 20, at Chichester House, Brighton, Lady Jackson, of a daughter.

LONGMORE -- May 20, at Hamble, near Netley, the wife of Deputy-Inspector-General T. Longmore, Army Medical Staff, of a daughter.

MILLER -- May 20, at Ansty Manor, Alton, Hants, the wife of Sir Charles H. Miller, Bart., of a daughter.


FERGUSSON and NEWTON -- May 21, at Edinburgh, by the Very Rev. Dean Ramsay, Major Robert D. Fergusson, son of the late Sir James and the Lady Henrietta Fergusson, to Margaret Eliza, widow of the late John H. Newton, Esq., of Newton.

GELSTON and WILSON -- May 22, at Bangor Cathedral, by the Rev. Hugh Gelston, Incumbent of Kingscourt, Arthur W. H. Gelston, Esq., "The Buffs," youngest son of the late John Gelston, Esq., Commissariat Department, to Sophia, youngest daughter of the late James Wilson, Esq., of Colne, Lancashire.

M'CORMICK and MOORE -- May 24, at the Presbyterian Church, Regent Street, Newtownards, by the Rev. Thomas Watters, Mr. Wm. John M'Cormick, Bangor-Granshaw, to Margaret, daughter of the late Mr. John Moore, Ballyslicock, Newtownards.

SANDEMAN and COCKBURN -- May 22, at St. Mark's, New Lakenham, Norwich, by the Rev. Edward J. Moor, Hon. Canon, Norwich Cathedral, assisted by the Rev. N. T. Garry, Incumbent, David G. Sandeman, Esq., late 16th (Queen's) Lancers, only son of the late D. Sandeman, of Kirkwood, Lockerbie, N.B., to Alice, fourth daughter of Colonel Cockburn, of Bracondale, Norwich.

WRIGHT and WRIGHT -- April 12, at St. George's Cathedral, Madras, by the Rev. A. R. Symonds, M.A., John H. Wright, Esq., Revenue Survey Department, to Mary Jane, eldest daughter of Joseph Wright, Esq., Eden Vale, Conyagham Road, Dublin.


JENKINS -- At 134, Divis View Buildings, Belfast, Mr. Samuel Jenkins. His remains will be removed from his late residence, for interment in Shankhill Burying-ground, on to-morrow (Saturday) afternoon, at four o'clock.

-- -- -- -- --

BURSLEM -- May 19, at Harwood Lodge, near Newbury, Berkshire, Sarah Norris, widow of the late Colonel N. Burslem, K.H., aged 91 years.

BAILEY -- May 21, at Dromore, County Down, Mrs. Bailey, aged 94 years.

CARTER -- May 18, at his residence, Monawee, Queen's Country, William Carter, Esq., eldest son of the late Staff Surgeon Henry Colles Carter, M.D., M.A., aged 58 years.

DASHWOOD -- May 19, at Park Street, London, Miss Catherine Dashwood, sister of Admiral Dashwood, aged 79 years.

LENNOCK -- May 12, at Broomrig, Dumfriesshire, George G Lennock, Esq., Admiral Royal Navy aged 92 years.

TREVELYAN -- May 13, at Neuchatel, Switzerland, Paulina Lady Trevelyan, wife of Sir W. Calverley Trevelyan, Bart., of Nettlecome, Somerset, and Wall[-?-], Northumberland.


ACCIDENTS. -- Yesterday, a man named Thomas Doran was severely injured in Little Patrick Street by being run over by a horse and car. He was taken to the General Hospital. Jane M'Carry was brought to the same institution yesterday suffering from severe injuries sustained in a like manner.

INQUEST AT MONKSTOWN. -- An inquest was held on Wednesday evening, the 23rd instant, before John Campbell, Esq., M.D., Coroner, at Monkstown, Carnmoney, on view of the body of Sarah Luney, a girl aged ten years, whose death had occurred on the previous night, from the effects of burns. Deceased and a younger child had been left in the home during their parents' absence. She was baking bread, and, when turning it on a griddle, her clothes took fire, and, before aid reached her, she was so burned that she only survived a few hours. Verdit -- Accidental death.

INQUEST AT KILROOT. -- John Campbell, Esq., M.D., Coroner, held an inquest on Thursday, the 24th inst., at Kilroot, near Carrickfergus, on view of the body of John Doran, chief boatman of the Coastguard service, whose death had occurred on the previous day from the effects of a pistol-shot. Deceased had been for some time depressed in spirits, much increased by a protracted illness of his wife. He had been missing for some hours, and, on search being made, his body was found in a plantation some distance from his house. After the examination of medical and other witnesses, a verdict was returned to the effect -- "That deceased committed suicide while laboring under temporary insanity." Doran, who has left a wife and a numerous family, was much respected, and was a strictly sober and steady officer.




At this port, on the 24th inst., the Port Kunda, Bystroum, from Reval, with flax -- Richardson, Bros., & Co., consignees; Gustavus Heyn, agent.

At Bombay, on the 23rd ult., the Duncairn, Finlay, of Belfast, from Madras.

At Calcutta, on the 15th ult., the Jane Porter, Hanna, and on the 18th, the Star of Erin, Ewing, both of Belfast, from London.


From Liverpool, on the 22nd inst, the Vicar of Bray, Barclay, for Adelaide.

From Dunkirk, on the 21st inst., the Three Brothers, Jones, for Londonderry.

From Cuxhaven, on the 20th inst., the Margaretha, Giese, for Dublin.


At Belfast, on the 24th inst., the Einigheit, Wallis, for Copenhagen -- J. C. Pinkerton, shipper.

At Rotterdam, on the 24th inst., the Vartry s.s., Wash, for Belfast.

At Bombay, on the 28th ult., the Duncairn, Finlay, of Belfast, for Liverpool.


Paimboeuf, on the 19th inst., the Adrien, Chauvelon, for Belfast.

Through Pentland Firth, on the 19th inst., the Marshall, Jones, from Larne for Newcastle.


Captain Pitt, of the schooner Babthorpe, of Colchester, reports that when lying in Yarmouth Roads on the night of the 21st inst., he was run into by some vessel, carrying away stanchions, bulwarks, &c, from the starboard quarter to the main rigging, and shaking the stern frame very much; he hailed the vessel, but could not ascertain her name.

It is reported that the Berbice, Peterson, of Dundee, from Tayport for Quebec, foundered April 8, in lat. 52 N., long. 28 W.; crew saved.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


QUEENSTOWN, MAY 24. -- Arrived -- Teresa Manin, from Ibrail. Sailed -- Bosphorus s.s., for Liverpool.

DUBLIN, MAY 24. -- Arrived -- St. Helen, from Hamburg. Arrived at Kingstown -- Nicolai Despot, from New York.



[Before E. ORME, Esq., R.M., and J. C. O'DONNELL, Esq., R.M.]


Charles Reynolds was charged by Sub-Constable Mooney with being drunk, disorderly, and making use of party expressions in Morrow's Entry.

The prisoner when arrested was cursing the Pope.

He was fined 40s and costs, with the usual alternative.

Elizabeth Burns was charged by Sub-Constable Higgins with being drunk, disorderly, and using party expressions.

The constable said that he arrested the prisoner for being drunk and disorderly. On the way to the Police Office she proclaimed herself a "good Papish."

Fined 40s and costs, and, in default, fourteen days' imprisonment.


James Kincade was charged with assaulting his sister, Elizabeth Kincade. He was also charged with assaulting Sub-Constables Henderson and Cromie in the execution of their duty.

It appeared from the evidence that the prisoner came into his own house on the previous day, and, without the least provocation, caught hold of his sister by the hair of her head and struck her on the face several times with a looking-glass. He also struck her a blow with his fist. Sub-Constables Henderson and Cromie, on hearing of the occurrence, went to arrest the prisoner, and, on going into the house, the prisoner struck Henderson a severe blow on the nose, which bled profusely. He also kicked Henderson several times. Cromie was also assaulted by the prisoner, who kicked him violently on the legs and breast. A large crowd collected in Grattan Street, and threw stones at the police, but, by the aid of two civilians, the constables succeeded in taking the prisoner to the Police Office.

Their WORSHIPS sentenced the prisoner to three months' imprisonment.

Cornelius M'Loughlin was charged by Acting-Constable Enright with being disorderly and assaulting a man named Gibson in his view. He was also charged with assaulting Sub-Constable Neilly.

Acting-Constable Enright said that he saw the prisoner strike a man named Gibson, and knock him down. This occurred in Chapel Lane, and there was a large crowd collected at the time.

Sub-Constable Neilly said that he experienced considerable difficulty in putting the prisoner into a cell in the Police Office. He became, very violent, and struck witness two or three times. He never saw a more disorderly character coming into the Police Office.

A recruiting sergeant here came on the table, and said that the prisoner had been enlisted in the 9th Lancers, and that he had been attested that morning.

The case was postponed for a month, and the sergeant was directed to take the prisoner to the military barracks.


Wm. Jameson, Wm. M'Laughlin, James Henry Keenan, and Wm. Hendren, four young lads, were brought up in custody, charged by Sub-Constable John Malone with being concealed in the garden of Mr. Rowan, Spamount, with intent to steal.

The prisoners were discharged with a caution.


^ top of page

Belfast Newsletter - 26 May, 1866


All Notices of BIRTHS, MARRIAGES, and DEATHS, must be authenticated by the name and address of the sender.


Armstrong -- May 23, at Dorset Square, London, Lady Armstrong, of a son.

Daly -- May 24, at Ballinasloe, the wife of the Rev. H. V. Daly, Curate of the Parish, of a son.

Fiennes -- May 22, at Queen's Gate Terrace, London, Lady Augusta Fiennes, of a daughter.

Garrard -- May 17, at Reading, the wife of Major Garrard, of a daughter.

Head -- May 21, at Ballinaclough Glebe (the Very Rev. the Dean of Killaloe's), the wife of the Rev. Jonathan C. Head, of a son.

Leach -- May 14, at Malta, the wife of Cecil Francis Leach, Deputy-Assistant-Commissary-General, of a daughter.

Wheeler -- May 22, at 37, George Street, Limerick, the wife of Lieut.-Colonel F. H. Massey Wheeler, of a daughter.


Anderson and Hubback -- May 22, at St. James's, Piccadilly, London, by the Rev. Mark G. Hubback, Curate of Eckington, brother of the bride, assisted by the Rev. Beauchamp Perse, Incumbent of Ascot Heath, cousin at the bride, Henry D. Anderson, Esq., Holders Hill, Hendon, Middlesex, to Frances Mary Eliza, eldest daughter of the late R. G. Hubback. Esq., and granddaughter of the late Lord Charles Kerr, of Faraham, Surrey.

Cochrane and Orr -- May 24, at Strathaven, Richardson Cochrane, of Glasgow, to Lizzie, second daughter of James Orr.

Fotherby and Engstrom -- May 22, at Allhallows Church, Tottenham, by the Rev. John G. Hale, Vicar, Henry L. Fotherby, M.B., of 40, Trinity Square, Tower, and Louth, Lincolnshire, to Louisa Mary, only child of Charles Fk. Engstrom, Esq., her Britannic Majesty's Consul at Gottenberg, Sweden.

Hardcastle and Macaulay -- May 24, at Stephen's Church, Dublin, by the Rev. Richard F. Smyth, Ralph P. Hardcastle. Esq., of Newcastle-on-Tyne, to Julia Stanley, daughter of the late D. S. Macaulay, Esq., formerly United States Consul-General at Alexandria, in Egypt.

M'Candless and M'Crea -- May 25, at the Presbyterian Meeting house, Hillsborough, by the Rev. J. K. Strain, Mr. Robert Burgess M'Candless, Lurganban, to Matilda, eldest daughter of Mr. Joseph M'Crea, Lurganban, Dromore.

Williams and Walmsley -- May 22, at Wolverton, Hants, by the Rev. Richard Pole, Rector, and the Rev. L. B. Wither, of Tangier, William Williams, Esq., of Dolgelley, North Wales, to Adah, youngest daughter of Sir Joshua Walmsley, of Wolverton Park, Hants.


Gillespie -- May 25, at 2, Glengall Street, Belfast, Margaret, the beloved wife of Wm. Gillespie, aged 52 years. Her remains will be removed from her late residence, for interment in Shankhill Burying-ground, on tomorrow morning, at ten o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation.

-- -- -- -- -- --

Dillon -- May 24, at Lurganville, near Moira, Sarah, relict of Mr. Nathaniel Dillon, aged 80 years.

Kelly -- March 4, at St. Louis, Mo., America, Mr. John Kelly, jun., formerly of Larne, aged 83 years.

M'Clement -- May 25, on board the Scotia, on her arrival at Queenstown, Ellen, wife of David M'Clement, Esq., late of Donegall Street, Belfast.

M'Caw -- May 23, at Clare, Moira, of consumption, Isabella, daughter of Mr. Anthony M'Caw, aged 22 years.

Robinson -- May 18, at Great Warley, Essex, of which parish he had been Rector about 39 years, the Rev. Hastings Robinson, D.D., Hon. Canon of Rochester and Rural Dean, aged 74 years.

Stewart -- May 13, at Southampton, Charles T. Stewart, Esq., formerly of Castleshonaghan, Ramelton, Ireland, lately of Plantation Enterprise, East Coast, George Town, Demerara, aged 87 years.

Truro -- May 21, at Eaton Square, London, the Dowager Lady Troro.

Wray -- May 23, at 4, Merrion Square North, Dublin, Catherine, widow of the late Rev. Henry Wray, D.D., Vice-Provost of Trinity College, Dublin, aged 84 years.




At this port, on the 25th inst., the Montebello, Cachis, from Trieste, via Queenstown, with wheat -- Hamilton, Megaw, & Thomson, consignees; P. Lammerse & Co., agents.

At this port, on the 25th inst., the Ariel, Dunbar, from Bayonne, with Indian corn -- Hamilton, Megaw, & Thomson, consignees: Phillips & Moore, agents.

At Quebec, on the 9th inst. the Nelson, from Belfast.

At Melbourne, on the 17th April, the Great Britain (s.s.), from Liverpool: the Helmsdale, Ferris, from Portsmouth: and the City of Montreal.

At Sydney, the Wm. Melhuish, Duncan, the Albert Victor, Nobb, from London: the Elizabeth Nicholson, Crosbie, from Dartmouth.


The Star of Denmark, of Belfast, from Calcutta for London, May 13, lat. 42 N., long. 25 W.

The Ferenia, Jenkins, from Belfast, off Gaspe.


The Carbon (s.s.), Geckeston, for Dunkirk, with coal, arrived at Yarmouth on the 24th inst, with engines disabled and shaft broken, and unable to proceed.

The Francis Carvill, at Liverpool, from Hayti, reports having passed on the 20th April, Lat 36 N., long. 60 W., the wreck of a brigantine, about 800 tons, painted black outside and white inside, waterlogged and abandoned, drifting to the South-East.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


QUEENSTOWN, MAY 26. -- Arrived -- Anna, from Sulina; Volunteer, Kertch: the steamers City of London and Royal Standard, from Liverpool for New York; the Louisa, and the steamers Etna and Queen, for New York for Liverpool -- all proceeded. Sailed -- Chachina, for Limerick: Svea, London: Elisabeth Hunter, Amsterdam.

DUBLIN, MAY 25. -- Arrived at Kingstown -- Nierina Jacobs, from Passage.



[Before J. C. O'DONNELL, Esq., R.M., and E. ORME, Esq., R.M.]


David Campbell and William M'Gowan were charged by Harbor-Constable Geary with being drunk and fighting with each other on board a vessel at the Queen's Quay,

Geary said that when he arrested the prisoners on board the vessel, they were drunk and fighting with each other. He saw Campbell strike M'Gowan and knock him down. M'Gowan was nearly falling over the side of the vessel into the river.

The prisoners were discharged.


David M'Allister was charged with being drunk and disorderly, and with assaulting Sub-Constable Stuart.

Stuart said that he arrested the prisoner in Agnes Street for being drunk and disorderly. On the way to the Police Office he kicked and struck witness several times.

The prisoner was fined 10s and costs, and in default, fourteen days' imprisonment.

Stuart Drain was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Union Street, and with assaulting Sub-Constable Crawford in the execution of his duty.

The prisoner was sent to jail for fourteen days, without the option of a fine.


Thomas Murphy was brought up in custody, charged by Sub-Constable Campton with being a deserter from the 9th Lancers.

Campton said that he arrested the prisoner for being a deserter from the 9th Lancers. He had seen him going through the town in the uniform of that corps, but he had now changed his clothing.

The prisoner said that he belonged to the Antrim Rifles, and denied being a deserter from the 9th Lancers.

Their Worships remanded him till Wednesday next.


Sarah Woodside was charged with stealing a pair of stays, value for 1s 3d, the property of Messrs. B. & E. M'Hugh, Rosemary Street.

The prisoner pleaded guilty to the charge, and, as Mr. M'Hugh did not press for punishment, she was discharged with a caution, this being her first offence.


John Patterson was charged with assaulting John M'Kane; and John Kelly, John M'Kane, and Hugh Boyle were charged with assaulting John Patterson. William Patterson was charged with assaulting Hugh M'Grane, and M'Grane was charged with assaulting William Patterson.

Mr. Seeds prosecuted on the part of the Grown. Mr. Harper appeared for the Pattersons, and Mr. Sheals for the other prisoners.

John M'Kane, examined by Mr. SEEDS -- I saw John Patterson last night in Mr. M'Kibbin's public-house on the Falls Road. Patterson came into the room in which I and some other young men were, and sang an Orange song. Another young man, named Hugh M'Grane, then got up and commenced to sing also. Whilst he was singing, Patterson commenced to interrupt him, and I told him to keep order. He then rose up and struck me on the neck, and nearly choked me. Mr. M'Kibbin then came in and separated us. There were tumblers and bottles broken in the room to the value of 10s. We all subscribed and paid that amount. We then went out, and when we were standing at the corner of Alma Street John Patterson and his brother passed as.

Mr. O'DONNELL -- I think, from what I hear of the case, that John Patterson ought to be the only prosecutor.

Mr. SHEALS -- You have only heard a portion of the case.

Hugh M'Grane, examined by Mr. SHEALS -- I was in Mr. M'Kibbin's public-house last night. I was about a quarter of an hour in the drinking-room when John Patterson came in in company with three others. I was called upon by the company for a song. While I was singing the song, Patterson began to grumble, and shouted out, "Here's to the memory of William that crossed the Boyne." I was singing a national song. It was, "To the men that are gone." (Laughter.) M'Kane asked Patterson to keep order, and Patterson then struck him and caught him by the throat. I asked Wm. Patterson for Goodness' sake not to let his brother choke M'Kane, and he then turned round and struck me on the head with a moulder's trowel. Mr. M'Kibbin then came and locked us all in the room.

To Mr. HARPER -- There were six of our party together.

To Mr. O'DONNELL -- I was singing this national song when the row occurred. I did not know that it would offend any one in the room.

Hugh Boyle was examined by Mr. SHEALS, and gave corroborative testimony. He said that the row occurred dating the time that M'Grane was singing "To the men that are gone."

Mr. HARPER -- Who are the men that are gone?

Mr. SHEALS -- King William was one of them.

Mr. HARPER -- Not of the men that M'Grane was singing about. (To Boyle) -- Were the names of Mitchel or O'Connell in the song? They were not.

Did you consider it was a disloyal song? I did not.

To Mr. O'DONNELL -- I afterwards saw John Patterson going down the Falls Road. I saw him go over to the corner where these other parties were standing, and immediately saw M'Kane and him falling to the ground.

This closed the cases against the Pattersons, and they were brought up on the witness table. Boyle, Kelly, and M'Kane were then placed in the dock.

John Patterson, examined by Mr. HARPER -- I went into M'Kibbin's pUblic-house about half-past ten o'clock last night. I was in company with my brother and two other men. We had some drink there. There were a number of young men in the room when we went into it. M'Grane was singing a song, and I made no remarks about it. There were other parties in the room, and there was some confusion amongst them. I heard M'Kane say that he could beat any "eight-stone man" on the Falls Road, and he then came up and struck me. I was attacked by the other parties and thrown down, and Mr. M'Kibbin came into the room and relieved me from amongst them. The song that M'Grane sang was an offensive one, and I considered it a party one. I did not propose a toast, nor did I hear any drunk. I never heard King William's name mentioned. We agreed together to pay for the tumblers which were broken. I was detained by Mr. M'Kibbin and Head-Constable Jacques for some time after these parties left the house. I live in Fourth Street, and my road home lay down the Falls Road. On my way down, I left my brother standing talking to another man. As I was passing along the street, I turned round, and saw the prisoners following me. Boyle came running behind me, and struck me on the cheek. I had said nothing to him before that. Some of the other two prisoners then struck me on the back of the head with some weapon, and I was knocked insensible on my face to the ground. I remember nothing more till I was lifted by a Mrs. Stuart Boyle then gave me a kick on the side.

To Mr. O'DONNELL -- He kicked me when I was down.

The witness was cross-examined at some length by Mr. SHEALS, but nothing contradictory was elicited.

William Patterson, examined by Mr. HARPER -- I was in company with my brother in M'Kibbin's public-house last night. I was there during the row. I received a wound on the right side of the head. It was M Grane inflicted that wound. There were two or three of them on the top of my brother when I went forward to save him. M'Grane lifted a porter bottle, and struck me on the side of the head with it. M'Grane was singing when we went in. It was a party song he was singing. When we left Mr. M'Kibbin's my brother was behind me, and I was same distance before him talking to another man. I heard shouts of "Police," and I ran back to see what had occurred, and when I came forward I saw Kelly kicking my brother about the head. My brother was lying on the ground. I also saw Kelly striking him with his fists. I saw M'Kane kicking him and beating him, and shouting "Police" at the same time.

To Mr. SHEALS -- I did not see Boyle there. My brother was lying on his face when these men were kicking him.

Dr. Wm. Aickin, examined by Mr. HARPER -- I examined John Patterson's head last night. There was a large circular wound, very much lacerated, on the back of the head. There were one or two other smaller wounds on the head much lacerated. The wounds appeared to be a regular smash. The instrument that inflicted the wound must have been very blunt and scraping at the same time. The wounds were all contused. I don't think that he could have received the wound by falling on his back on the kerbstone; but I would say that a shoe with nails in the sole of it would inflict the wounds.

Mr. O'DONNELL -- What state is he in now?

Witness -- I think the wound is dangerous. There is no fracture.

Mr. ORME -- what do you think might ensue?

Witness -- It is a very likely case for erysipelas.

To Mr. SHEALS -- If he fell on a rugged stone, I don't think that the wounds would be produced.

To Mr. O'DONNELL -- The skull is just at the top of the crown.

Mr. SHEALS read a certificate from Dr. M'Court, which stated that he had examined M'Grane's head the previous night, and found a wound an inch and three-quarters long on it. He was not in a position to state what might be the results of it, but M'Grane was not at present in any danger.

Sub-Constable Healey, in reply to the BENCH, said that he was on duty on the Falls Road the previous night about five minutes past eleven o'clock, when he heard shouts of "Police." On proceeding up the road, M'Kane charged John Patterson with assaulting him. He arrested John Patterson, and the other charges of assault were made in the Police Office.

Dr. Aickin said that he had examined William Patterson's head, and found a wound, about an inch in length, on the right cheek. He believed that the wound had been inflicted by a blunt instrument, and he would say that a porter bottle would inflict it. He did not think that there was much danger of erysipelas setting in.

Head-Constable Jacques said that he had examined the moulder's trowel with which, it was alleged, William Patterson inflicted the wound on M'Grane's head. He saw it immediately after the occurrence, and there was not the slightest trace of blood on it.

Mr. HARPER asked their worships to remand the three prisoners at present before them for a week. It was quite clear, from the doctor's evidence, that John Patterson was not yet ont of danger.

Mr. SHEALS concurred with Mr. Harper that there should be an adjournment of the case, as he had received very meagre instructions. He thought that his clients should be admitted to bail.

Mr. O'DONNELL said he could not dispose of the case as it stood at present on account of Dr. Aickin's evidence. Perhaps he would never dispose of it, as he thought the best course that could be adopted would be to send it before a jury. This case was one of those unfortunate occurrences which are so frequent in this town. Men like M'Grane went into public-houses and sang what they called national songs, and made use of certain expressions which were distasteful to others. Another man rose up and expressed his sentiments, and then the melee began. He would adjourn, the case for a week.

Mr. SHEALS -- These men are in humble circumstances, and they could not get large bail.

Mr. O'DONNELL -- They can go into a public-house, spend money in it, and then sing party songs. I will take bail for Kelly, Boyle, and M'Kane -- themselves in 10, and two sureties in 5 each -- to appear this day week. The other, prisoners may stand out in the meantime.


Messrs. Duncan & Waring, Ligoniel Mill, were summoned by Mr. Darkin, Sub-Inspector of Factories, for having four females working after six o'clock on the evening of the 6th April.

Mr. REA said that he appeared for the defendants in the absence of Mr. M'Lean, and he had been instructed to submit to the charge if Mr. Darkin would be satisfied with one penalty.

Mr. Darkin said that, had he not proceeded so often against the Messrs. Waring & Duncan, he might accede to Mr. Rea's application. They had been so frequently before the Court that he could not show them the same lenity as other millowners who had never been before the Court.

Mr. Darkin was then sworn. He stated that on the 6th of April he was in the neighborhood of Ligoniel. He observed the workers leaving the Wolfhill Mill. He looked down the road as far as the Ligoniel Mill, but he could not see a single worker coming out of it. He proceeded leisurely towards the Messrs. Waring & Duncan's mill, and when he came opposite it he saw that it was still working at full speed. It was then between six and seven minutes past six o'clock by the approved clock. The moment he went opposite the gate he tried it, and it was fast. He called out for some one to open it immediately. He saw a man inside stationed opposite the engine-house, who, on seeing him, ran into the engine-house and stopped the engine immediately. Witness kept shaking the gate and the gatekeeper still stood looking at him, and, after a short time, he opened the gate, but not before all the machinery was stopped. He then proceeded to the reeling-room, and found several parties at work. They could work after the machinery was stopped, as they worked with the hand. He took the names of several females, but he only proceeded in four cases.

To Mr. O'DONNELL -- I was not kept more than half-a-minute outside the gate.

Mr. REA asked their Worships to postpone the case for a week till Mr. M'Lean, who had been instructed in the cases, would be able to attend.

Mr. Darkin said that he must ask for penalties in the four case, but he would be satisfied with the lowest penalty in each case.

A gentleman representing the Messrs. Waring & Duncan submitted to the charges.

Their Worships imposed a fine in each case of 1 and costs -- in all, 4 and costs.

Mr. DARKIN said that he would now go into another offence. On the 26th of April he visited the Messrs. Waring & Duncan's mill, and he there found a little child named Mary Jane M'Cormack working. He had summoned the Messrs. Waring & Duncan for four distinct offences in connection with this child. The first was for not having the child's name registered in the book which was kept for the purpose. The second was for neglecting to obtain a certificate from the schoolmaster that the child had attended school. The third was for neglecting to obtain a certificate of the age of the child, and the fourth was for keeping the child working after the time stipulated in the Act -- 6 hours 30 mins. daily. Mr. Darkin then pointed out the sections of the Act bearing on the matter and the penalties attached to each offence.

Mr. REA said that the child was taken into the mill as a charity on the Saturday previous. The doctor only attended once a fortnight to give the certificates, and she was only there a few days when Mr. Darkin observed her.

Mr. DARKIN said that he would be satisfied with, one penalty in the whole case.

Their WORSHIPS accordingly ordered the defendants to pay a fine of 1 and costs.

William Crothers, gatekeeper at the Messrs. Waring & Duncan's mill, was summoned by Mr. Darkin for obstructing him in the execution of his duty on the 6th April.

Mr. Darkin repeated the statement which he made in the first case with regard to the manner in which the defendant obstructed him at the gate on the day in question.

On cross-examination by Mr. REA, Mr. Darkin stated that he had often visited the Messrs. Waring & Duncan's mill, but he never recollected seeing the defendant at the gate before.

Mr. REA said that the defendant had only been appointed gatekeeper that week, and was not aware who Mr. Darkin was. He contended, at great length, that there had been no guilty knowledge on the part of the defendant proved.

Mr. O'DONNELL said that he considered the case dearly proved. It was one of the most important cases that Mr. Darkin could bring before the Court. If he was not permitted to do his duty, and if he was obstructed, it went to the root of his authority. The defendant was to pay a flue of 3 and costs.

The Northern Spinning Company were summoned by Mr. Darkin for having two young lads and a young girl working in their mill before six o'clock on the morning of the 26th April. They were also summoned for not having one of the young lads registered, as required by the Act.

Mr. Darkin proved the case.

Mr. D. O'RORKE, who appeared for the defendants, said that the offence was owing to the negligence of the head spinning-master, Charles Morrow, against whom he had issued a summons.

Mr. Joseph Richardson Turtle Mulholland, manager of the mill, was then examined, and said that he knew the head spinning-master, Charles Morrow. The offences had occurred through his negligence. He had on two occasions given Morrow strict orders to comply with the Act.

Mr. Darkin had great pleasure in saying that the mill of the Northern Spinning Company was excellently managed. He had known Mr. Mulholland to be in mills before, and he never knew him to commit a breach of the Act.

Mr. Mulholland said that when any of the employes were guilty of a breach of the Act he was determined for the future to make them pay the penalties.

Morrow submitted to the charge.

Mr. Darkin said that he would not press for more than one penalty.

Their Worships ordered Morrow to pay fine of 1 and costs.


Sarah Donaghy, Catherine Kelly, Ann M'Murray, Margaret Filly, Mary Ann Filly, and Biddy Ryan were brought up on summons, charged by Messrs. Joseph Faren & Co., Milewater Mill, with misconducting themselves by being absent from their employment without leave.

The defendants promised to go back to their work, and were discharged with a caution.


John Nimmins, beer-retailer, Fountain Street, was summoned by Sub-Constable Corcoran for harboring a number of persons on his premises on the 12th May, who appeared to have been recently tippling.

Mr. Seeds appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. Rea for the defence.

The case was dismissed.


THE FASTEST STEAMER IN THE WORLD. -- The Egyptian paddle-wheel steam yacht Mahroussa, Captain Fredrigo Bey, built under the superintendence of the Peninsular and Oriental Company, by Messrs. Samuda, Brothers, of London, for the Viceroy of Egypt, arrived here on Saturday, the 12th inst., at 6-30 p.m., having performed the voyage from Southampton in the unprecedentedly short time of 157 hours. When under full steam she consumes seven tons of coal an hour, and is without exception the fastest vessel afloat. At the measured mile in Stokes Bay her average speed was upwards of 18.4 knots an hour, which is equal to about 20½ statute miles. After replenishing fuel, she proceeded on the 16th inst., for Constantinople, to meet his Highness the Viceroy, who, it is reported, intends paying a visit to England in her this Summer. This splendid vessel is of 1,800 tons, and is fitted with machinery of 800-horse power. Her interior fittings are of extraordinary magnificence. Her cost is said to have been 166,000. -- Malta Times.


^ top of page