Belfast Newsletter - Monday, 16 October, 1876


BARTON -- October 12, at 23, Mountjoy Square, Dublin, the wife of C. R. Barton, the Waterfoot, Fermanagh, of a son.

CRON -- October 14, at 90, Richmond Terrace, Belfast, the wife of the Rev. George Cron, of a daughter.

GIRDWOOD -- October 14, at The Lodge, Strandtown, County Down, the wife of John Girdwood, of a son.

HANNA -- October 15, at 112, North Street, Belfast, the wife of Mr. Henry Hanna, of a son.

MANN -- October 13, at Roden Terrace, Belfast, the wife of Captain Mann, of a daughter.

SQUIRE -- October 15, at Roselands, near Belfast, the wife of Edwin Squire, of a daughter.

WEBB -- October 12, at Knockvarre, Randalstown, the wife of C. J. Webb, Esq., of a son.


BELL--DYER -- October 14, at St. James's Church, Belfast, by the Rev. J. Seavor, Thomas R. Bell, to Kate, third daughter of Alexander Dyer, Belfast.

GILLILAND--GRAY -- October 11, at St. Mary's, Stoke Newington, London, by the Rev. Patrick Kilduff, Henry Mussen, second son of Henry Gilliland, Lordship Park, to Ada Marie, oldest daughter of Thomas Wood Gray, Lordship Park.

MALONE--FOLJAMBE -- October 10, at the Episcopal Church, Haddington, the Rev. Savile L'Estrange, Malone, Vicar-[--?--], &c., St. Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh, to Frances [?] M. Foljambe, second daughter of [--?--], Vicountess Milton.

SCOTT--M'MORDIE -- October 14, at Agnes Street Presbyterian Church, Belfast, John, eldest son of William Scott, to Elizabeth, second daughter of the late James M'Mordie, both of Belfast.

SMITH--OWENS -- October 10, at St. Ann's Church, Belfast, by the Rev. Dr. Hannay, Thomas Smith, Ballycraigy, Antrim, to Annie Owens, Larne, County Antrim.


M'DOWELL -- October 14, at 7, Harmony Place, Belfast, Mrs. Elizabeth M'Dowell, for forty years the valued friend and servant of the late Rev. Thomas Hassard Montgomery, and of Mrs. Montgomery, Ballykeel House, County Down, aged 81 years.

RITCHIE -- October 14, at 76, Bentinck Street, Belfast, Allen, third son of the late James Ritchie, Lisburn, aged 23 years. His remains will be removed for interment in Blaris Burying-ground this (Monday) morning, at eleven o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation.

SHAW -- October 14, Margaret, the beloved wife of Mr. O'Connell Shaw. Her remains will be removed from Glenside Place, Holywood, for interment in Newtownbreda Graveyard this (Monday) afternoon, at two o'clock, passing over Queen's Bridge about three o'clock.

ANDERSON -- October 7, at Horbury House, Ladbroke Road, Notting Hill, London, Fanny Isabella, wife of Captain Alfred Anderson, 8th Madras Infantry, and eldest daughter of Colonel Arthur Stevens, Commandant 26th Madras Infantry, in her 26th year.

GIBSON -- October 14, at his late residence, Ballyknockan, John Gibson, aged 64 years.

M'DONNELL -- October 15, at Bayswater, London, Frances, eldest daughter of the late Alexander M'Donnell, Esq., Annadale, County Down.

REILLY -- October 14, at Scotch Street, Armagh, Edward Hazleton, son of Mr. H. Reilly, aged 2 years and 2 months.

SKELTON -- October 8, at Dromore, County Tyrone, Mary Frances, daughter of the late Mr. John Skelton, Omagh, aged 28 years.

TILLY -- October 13, at 27, Berlin Street, Belfast, Agnes Elizabeth, infant daughter of Thomas Arthur Tilly.



Proprietor and Manager -- Mr. J. F. WARDEN.

Engagement for SIX NIGHTS ONLY of the distinguished and world-renowned Tragedienne


Miss BATEMAN will be accompanied by the favourite actress
Mr. E. H. BROOKE and

For Season Railway and Tramway arrangements see bills and programmes.

On Monday and Tuesday Evenings, October 16 and 17, to commence with Tom Taylors celebrated drama, written expressly for Miss Bateman entitled,

Mary Warner, ... ... ... ... ... Miss BATEMAN
(Played by her over 500 nights.)

To conclude with (first time in Belfast) a Farce in one act, by John Maddison Morton, called

Wednesday and Thursday, October 18 and 19

Leah, ... ... ... ... ... Miss BATEMAN.
(Her great and original character.)


Lady Macbeth, ... ... ... ... ... Miss BATEMAN.

Saturday -- LEAH.

On Monday next, October 23. Mr. J. L. TOOLE.

New pieces. "Tottles" and "The Spelling Bee."

Prices -- Lower Boxes, 4s; Upper Boxes, 2s; Pit 1s; Gallery, 6d. No Second Price. Box Office open daily from 10 till 3. Seats to Lower Boxes may be secured for any night free of extra charge.

Doors open at 7, commence at 7-30.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --



TUESDAY, Oct. 17th,
And each Evening during the Week,

The Real and Original


This incomparable Troupe will appear as above each Evening at Eight o'clock.

Admission -- 2s, 1s, and 6d. Tickets of Messrs. HART & CHURCHILL'S




THE VERY DESIRABLE FARM OF LAND, containing about 44a. 2r. 38p., situate in the Townland of BALLYNAGLOUGH, in the Barony of Carey, and County of Antrim, and within two miles of Ballycastle, which is a good market town.

The Farm is held in fee, free of rent, and has been let for many years to a good solvent tenant from year to year, at the yearly rent of 45.

Proposals for the Purchase will be received by me on or before the 3rd day of November next.

SAMUEL BLACK, Solicitor, Town Hall, Belfast.


DEATH FROM A PEA-SHOOTER. -- A lad named Patrick Brady, 13 years of age, who resided with his parents at 27, Raglan Street, died on Monday last from the effects of a pea shot into his ear by a comrade, as they were, with some other boys, passing along Rose Street, Garnethill, about three weeks ago. Inflammation of the ear set in after it was found impossible to extract the pea. The deceased youth was a pupil teacher, and was returning from the drawing school when the unfortunate occurrence took place. The practice of pea-shooting, though happily now not so common as it has been in recent years, is still sufficiently general to be highly dangerous, and it is hoped that this melancholy accident will act as a strong lesson to boys who indulge in the reprehensible pastime.




The remains of the late Mr. Thomas Neilson Underwood, B.L., who died at Strabane, were interred yesterday in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin. The funeral was made the occasion of a Nationalist demonstration, some 400 workmen having walked in procession after the hearse. An oration was delivered by Mr. Dunne, of the Amnesty Association, who eulogised the deceased as a patriot.

His Royal Highness the Duke of Connaught was present at an assault at arms in the Exhibition Palace on Saturday evening.

Mr. F. J. Smyth, M.P., arrived in Tipperary yesterday, and was received by some sixteen hundred people, who loudly cheered him. He was followed into the town of Tipperary from Limerick Junction by an enthusiastic crowd. From the window of one of the hotels he addressed the people, and openly denounced Home Rule as a sham, asserting that those who were loudest in preaching it did not believe in it, but adopted the cry simply for the purpose of getting an amendment of the Land Act.


STREET ACCIDENT. -- A man named William Pullans was taken to the Belfast Royal Hospital yesterday evening, suffering from a severe, fracture of the right thigh bone. It appears Pullans and several others were driving on a car into town yesterday evening, and when coming down the Lisburn Road the horse stumbled and fell. The passengers were thrown off, but all, with the exception of Pullans, managed by some means or other to escape unhurt.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

DEATH UNDER CURIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES. -- On Saturday evening, an old woman, 60 years of age, named Sarah Grey, residing at 19, Sherbrook Street, died under rather curious circumstances. It appears that, about half-past eight o'clock in the evening, she was walking about in her kitchen, when a little boy ran in to protect himself from a man who was about to assault him. He ran up against Mrs. Grey, and knocked her down. After rising, she fell in a fit into the arms of a neighbour who was in the house at the time, and died in a few minutes. The police were sent for, but neither the boy nor the man who was pursuing him could be found. The police communicated with the coroner, and there will probably be an inquest held on the body to-day. Deceased was a widow.


FALL DOWNSTAIRS. -- Hugh Edgar, a young fellow, fell down the stairs of his parents' house in Brown's Row, on Saturday, and received injuries of rather serious nature to his head. He was taken to the Belfast Royal Hospital after the occurrence, and Stained there.




GLASGOW, SATURDAY. -- The barque Otago, 1,095 tons, commanded by Captain Gullison, which sailed recently from Belfast for Philadelphia, has put back to the Clyde in a leaky condition, and will have to be repaired before proceeding on her voyage.

The Dublin steamer Duke of Leinster collided with a tug at Greenock harbour on Friday evening, smashing the tug's paddle-box and carrying away the sponsoon. It is alleged that the tug was showing no lights. The Duke of Leinster received little or no damage by the contact.

A good deal of excitement has been caused in Dundee by the wife of a carter eloping with a widower to New Zealand. The woman is the mother of nine children.

The daughter of a blacksmith at Bonar Bridge, Sutherlandshire, has committed suicide in consequence of a disappointment in a love affair.

While the Londonderry steamer Iris was proceeding up the river this morning, John M'Intyre, one of the seamen, was accidentally drowned. Just after leaving Greenock he was engaged in closing the fore-gangway, when the bar he was using for the purpose slipped, and he fell backwards into the water. A boat was instantly lowered, but as the man could not swim he was drowned before he was caught hold of. M'Intyre, who was a native of Londonderry, was forty-eight years of age.



Majors Macpherson and Nightingale, and Capts. Welsh and MacGregor, 93rd Highlanders, have been granted leave of absence to the 30th December; and Lieutenants Cunliffe, Featherstonhaugh, and Dolby, same corps, to the 15th December, on leave.

The 27th Inniskillings, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel R. Freer, are expected to occupy the Lower St. Elmo and Auburge de Barriere on their arrival at Malta.

Thirty-five rank and file from the 35th Brigade Depot at Devonport, under command of Lieut. Heath, 32nd Regiment, arrived in Dublin on Thursday evening, were quartered in the Royal Barracks for the night, and left by the six o'clock train on Friday morning for Limerick to join the headquarters of the 46th Regiment, under orders for Bermuda.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


PRINCE OF WALES'S OWN DONEGAL REGIMENT. -- Sub-Lieutenant J. Atkinson has duly qualified and been recommended for promotion to the rank of lieutenant.


On Saturday two men named Roskelliand and Stephens were killed by an explosion of gunpowder at East Cornwall Powder Works, Herondsfoot, near Liskeard.

The barque Ranger, from Falmouth, in ballast, was run down and sunk early on Saturday morning, near Dudgeon lightship, by a steamer unknown. The crew, nine in all, with difficulty made their eicape in their boat.

At Wandsworth Police Court, on Saturday, Silas Barlow was committed for trial on a charge of murdering his illegitimate child by drowning it, and was also remanded on a charge of poisoning by strychnine Ellen Sloper, the mother of the child.

DEATH FROM THE BITE OF A CAT. -- Mr. Langham held an inquiry at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London, on Thursday, respecting the death of Wm. Richard Long, aged five years, the child of a sugar manufacturer, living in Paul Street, Finsbury Square. From the evidence it appeared that the deceased was bitten through the wrist by a favourite cat about six weeks ago. The wound, after being attended to, healed, and on Friday last the boy had a severe fall, which resulted in fits. On Tuesday evening, while out with his mother, he seemed suddenly to go mad, and was taken to the hospital in a raving state. Deceased died from convulsions soon after admission, and a verdict to that effect was returned.

MARRIAGE OF THE REV. S. L'ESTRANGE MALONE. -- On Tuesday, the 10th October, the marriage of Miss Francis M. Foljambe (second daughter of Selina, Viscountess Milton), with Rev. Savile L'Estrange Malone, Vicar-Choral, &c., of St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh, was solemnized at the Episcopal Church in Haddington, Scotland, Rev. the Hon. Percy Willoughby, assisted by the Rev. Thomas Wannoss, rector of Haddington, were the officiating clergymen. The bride was attired in white corded silk and Brussels lace, ornaments, pearls, and diamonds; and was given away by her mother, Viscountess Milton. The bridesmaids, the Misses Foljambe (2), were dressed in cream-coloured figured cashmere, with Gainsborough hats, trimmed with ruby velvet. R. W. Orme, Esq., of the Priory, Monkstown, acted as best man. The following were amongst the guests at Amisfield House:-- Francis Savile Foljambe, Esq., M.P., and Lady Gertrude Foljambe; Lord Muncaster, M.P., and Lady Muncaster; Cecil S. Foljambe, Esq.,; Henry L'Estrange, Esq.; Mordant L'Estrange, Esq.; Granville Miller, Esq., &c. After the ceremony was over the guests assembled at Amisfield Mansion, where a recherche dejeuner was provided. The bride and bridegroom left about half-past three o'clock for Dalmahoy, the beautiful and romantic seat of the Earl of Morton, which his lordship kindly placed at their disposal for the honeymoon. The presents, numbering over ninety, were remarkably handsome. The servants, cottagers, and employes upon the estate of Lady Milton, at Hazelbeek, presented the bride with a silver claret jug, and an address signed by sixty-three subscribers, as an expression of their attachment and respect for her, and the noble family to which she belonged. They also expressed their sincere wishes for her future happiness.



News from St. Helena, received by the Cape mail steamer, which has arrived at Plymouth, mentions that terrific storms had prevailed between there and the Cape of Good Hope. The Belfast steamer Ned White was struck by dreadful seas, destroying all the deck houses and gear, and washing Henry Lawson, second officer, overboard. He was drowned. The ship narrowly escaped foundering. Captain Pearn, of the Liverpool ship Centaur, also received great damage on August 30 in a northwest gale. The seas deluged the ship, carrying away her boats and deck gear, and endangering the ship.



The Pekin left Suez at eight on Friday evening for Bombay.
The Ducal line steamer Duke of Devonshire left Madras on Friday.
The Anchor steamer Elysia sailed from Gravesend on Saturday for New York.
The State line steamer State of Indiana sailed from Larne on Saturday for New York.
The Khedive left Port Said at two on the afternoon of October 7 for Southampton.
The Douro left Lisbon at eleven o'clock on Saturday morning for the Brazils.
The Inman steamer City of Berlin left New York for Liverpool on Saturday.
The Cunard steamer Scythia sailed from Queenstown for New York yesterday afternoon.
The Anchor line steamer Ethiopia sailed from Moville for New York yesterday morning.
The North German Lloyd's steamer Neckar arrived at New York at nine on Saturday morning.
The Cunard steamer Algeria arrived from New York at Roche's Point on Saturday at midnight.
The Ducal line steamer Dake of Buccleuch, from Calcutta for London, arrived at Suez yesterday.
The royal mail steamer Elbe, with the Brazil mails, arrived at Southampton on Saturday; specie, 28,176.
The Assam sailed from Melbourne on October 7 for Galle, with 43,000 ounces of gold and 42,000 sovereigns.
The African Company's steamer Biafra, for West Africa, arrived at Madeira at five o'clock on Saturday morning.
The North German Lloyd's steamer Brauns Branschwag sailed from Southampton on Saturday for Baltimore.
The Union Company's steamar Danube, from Table Bay, arrived at Plymouth at ten o'clock on Friday morning.
The Allan steamer Sarmatian, from Quebec, arrived at Moville at 7 p.m. yesterday, landed all mails, and proceeded for Liverpool.
The extra Colonial steamer Lapland arrived from Cape Town and Madeira at Plymouth at two o'clock on Saturday morning; landed mails.
The Union Company's steamer Roman, with the Cape mails to September 25, arrived at Madeira on Saturday, and proceeded at noon for Plymouth.
The Hamburg-American Company's steamer Lessing, from New York, arrived at Plymouth at half-past six o'clock yesterday morning, and proceeded for Cherbourg and Hamburg.
The royal mail steamer Nile, from the West Indies, arrived at Plymouth at 2-15 on Saturday afternoon; mails forwarded at 7-45; specie, $343,000.
The Transatlantic Company's steamer France, from Havre for New York, called at Plymouth on Saturday night, and proceeded for her destination.
The White Star United States mail steamer Britannic, from New York, arrived off Queenstown harbour at 7 a.m. yesterday. She brings 472 passengers and $77,700 in specie. Having landed all the mails and some passengers, she proceeded for Liverpool immediately -- all well.




Wind -- W.


The Austrian barque Dorina, Cattalinich, from New York, with wheat -- Richardson, Brothers, & Co., consignees; H. Andrews & Co., agents.
The Sheldrake, Hutchinson, from Britonferry, with coal and iron.


The Alert, Maggie Louise, and Two Brothers, from Ayr; Busy, Utopia, and Walter Scott, from Maryport; Ardclinis (s). from Neath; Celtic (s), from Troon; Caroline, from Workington.


The American ship Agenor, Gould, for Boston direct, in ballast.
The American barque Don Justo, Bennet, for Baltimore direct, in ballast.
The Nelson, for Ayr; Ocean Child, for Glasgow; Roundshot, for Maryport; Celtic (s), for Troon; Cloffock, for Workington.


At Fortress Monroe, October 13, the barque Maria, Greyston, of and from Belfast -- (by Atlantic cable).
At Alexandria, October 5, the Austrian brig Urano, Martinolich, from Belfast, via Cardiff.
Off Deal, October 12, the German barque Arethusa, Lurklow, from Memel, for Belfast.
At Casa Blancha, September 29, the brigantine Eric, of Belfast, Curren, from Gibraltar.


From Swansea, October 13, the Gladiator (s), Jones, from Belfast, for Rochefort.


At Fredrickstadt, September 28, the Norwegian brig Hildier, Gunderson, for Belfast.


BIGAMY. -- At the quarter sessions of Galway, Richard Heffernan, a sub-constable of police, about 28 years of age, was indicted for bigamy. He had been eight years in the police force. He first married privately a young woman in Limerick named Bridget Egan, and having been transferred to Ennis, Co. Clare, he there openly married a young woman named Maria Fitzgerald, his previous wife still living. The prisoner pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to twelve months' imprisonment. -- Express.

"A YOUNG MAN FROM THE COUNTRY." -- At the Dundalk [Borough Court, on Wednesday, Terence Murphy, a respectable looking young man, apparently a farmer, and who stated he was a native of Silverbridge, County Armagh, was brought up in custody charged with being drunk and disorderly. Constable Allan, who arrested the prisoner, stated that between eleven and twelve o'clock on the previous night he found him helplessly drunk, and on taking him to the barracks he complained of losing his watch and hat. On being searched they found 11 3s 7d on his person, together with a cheque for 117. Subsequently a woman named Doherty came to the station with a watch stating that she found it in Church Street, which was identified by the prisoner as his. His Worship gave the prisoner a sharp reprimand, and said that in consequence of the good character given him by the police, he would fine him only 2s 6d and costs and recommended him to reward the woman who found his watch for her honesty. The prisoner gave her 5s, and on payment of the fine was discharged. -- Newry Telegraph.



The funeral of the late Mr. John Hamill, J.P., took place on Saturday morning, at ten o'clock, when his remains were removed from his residence, Trench House, and conveyed to the family burying-ground, Hannahstown. Notwithstanding that the weather was sufficiently inclement to have ressonably prevented a great number from being present, the attendance at the funeral was very large and highly respectable, embracing gentlemen of all creeds and shades of politics as well as representatives of all classes in the community. The extent and character of a public funeral is a fair criterion from which to estimate the worth and importance of the person on account of whose death it takes place, and the large and solemn assemblage that followed to the place of interment on Saturday the remains of Mr. Hamill was quite sufficient to prove that during life he had very few, if any, enemies, and that his death was regretted by many. Of course, the greater number of those who were present belonged to Belfast, where the deceased gentleman during a long and useful career became well known and as well respected, and with the principal public body of which -- namely, the Town Council -- at the time of his death, he was connected as a representative of St. George's Ward. At the period at which Mr. Hamill first identified himself with the interests of Belfast the prosperity of the town was almost in its infancy, and it would have been more than rash to have attempted to foretell that Belfast would have become in the time the great and important commercial centre that it now is. Mr. Hamill's connection with the town was, therefore, during its rapid growth and progress, and for many years he was a member both of the Corporation and the Poor-law Board. In these public positions of trust he displayed that integrity, shrewdness, and sound sense which were the chief sources of his success in life, and for which he was remarkable amongst the local men of his own day. Being closely associated with Belfast both in its less thriving and more progressive times, and being a gentleman of many commendable and useful qualities, it was but natural that his death should have caused general regret, and that his funeral should be as it has been, both representative and respectable. The majority of the members of the Belfast Corporation were present in their official capacity, attended by the Town Clerk (Mr. James Guthrie), There were also several of the clergy of the various religious denominations, including a large number of those of the deceased gentleman's own persuasion, The medical and legal professions were largely represented. The rain ceased about ten o'clock and thus a more favourable opportunity was afforded of accompanying on foot, the remains to their last resting place, which was about a mile distant from Trench House. Shortly after that hour the coffin was raised on the shoulders of six of the deceased's own men and borne down the avenue from his late residence to the main road, where it was placed in a hearse which there awaited it. The funeral cortege was then formed in the following order:-- In front a procession of Roman Catholic clergy, wearing white shoulder scarfs, and walking two and two; then the hearse drawn by four horses. On each side of the hearse were a number of the Belfast constabulary. Next to the hearse came the chief mourner, Arthur Hamill, Esq., son of the deceased, supported by Dr. Browne, R.N., J.P. After these came the mourning coaches, and then the members of the Belfast Town Council (each gentleman wearing crape on the left arm and black kid gloves, followed by clergy representing various denominations and the members of the lay profession.

Following the above were the general public, and then a long line of carriages belonging to gentlemen who were present, or representing gentlemen who were absent. The members of the Council present were, Aldermen -- Dr. Whitaker, Dr. Alexander, Bernard Hughes, J.P.; E. P. Cowan, J.P.; Wm. Mullen, J.P.; T. G. Lindsay, J.P.; Jas. Carlisle, J.P. Councillors -- Jas. A. Henderson, J.P.; J. Haslett, Samuel Lawthor, Jas. Jenkins, Jas. Adams, Wm. Greeg, Wm. Harvey Daniel Dixon, J. S. Greenhill, Thos. Gaffikin, Jas. Hart, J. Oulton, John Suffern, John Caruth, David Corbett, Robt. Kelly, W. H. Braddell. There were also present, John Hastings Otway, Esq., Q.C., Chairman of the County Antrim; Marcus M. Gage, Esq., J.P.; E. Orme, Esq., R.M.; David Taylor, Esq., J.P.; John Miller, Esq., J.P., Lisburn; Finlay M'Cance, Esq., J.P.; J. M. Higginson, Esq., J.P.; Dr. Dill, Borough Coroner; Dr. J. Seaton Reid, Dr. Jas. Moore, Dr. Clarke, Dr. J. W. Browne, Dr. M'Mordie, Dr. M'Connell, Dr. Martin, Dr. Ball, T. R. Stannus, Esq.; Edward Reilly, Esq.; James M'Lean, Esq., S.C.S.; J. A. Taylor, Esq.; Daniel O'Rorke, Esq.; Alexander O'Rorke, jun., Esq.; W. Seeds, Esq.; J. Coates, Esq.; Sub-Inspector M'Dermott, David Cunningham, Esq.; James Barbour, Esq.; Victor Coates, Esq.; J. Davidson, Esq.; William Boyd, Esq.; J. Montgomery, Esq., C.E., Town Surveyor; P. J. Mooney, Esq.; Henry Major, Esq.; Wm. Simms, Esq.; W. J. Johnston, Esq.; Samuel Young, Esq.; William Langtry, Esq.; Robert Atkinson, Esq.; D. Johnston, Esq.; W. J. Mulligan, Esq.; N. Oakman, Esq.; Hugh M'Call, Esq.; William M'Kenna, Esq., V.S.; William Trelford, Esq.; Robert Macaulay, Esq.; J. Macaulay, Esq.; Rev. S. M. Moore, Derriaghy; Rev. James Young, Rev. Joseph Mackenzie, Rev, W. Cotter, Rev. T. H. M. Scott, Rev. W. Riddal, Rev. D. Hunter, Rev. J. Clarke, Rev. W. C. M'Cullagh, Rev. I. Nelson. The Roman Catholic clergy present were -- Rev. P. Hamill, Rev. J. Brennan, Rev. H. M. Cahill, Rev. A. Macaulay, Rev. F. Watterson, Rev. M. Hamill, Rev. J. Hamill, Rev. P. O'Boyle, Rev. J. Lynch, Rev. H. Magorrian, Rev. N. M'Cassher, Rev. R. Crickard, Rev. E. Kelly, Rev. J. MacAleese, Rev. J. P. Greene, Rev. Geo. Pyo, Rev. Mr. Camillus, Rev. Mr. Basil.

The following gentlemen were the pallbearers:-- Finlay M'Cance, Esq., J.P.; E. Orme, Esq., R.M.; J. M. Higginson, Esq., J.P.; E. P, Cowan, Esq., J.P.; and David Taylor, Esq., J.P.

The coffin was of solid oak, French polished, and handsomely upholstered in white satin. It had massive brass mountings, and the breastplate was richly engraved and surmounted by a cross, on which were the letters "I.H.S." The inscription on the plate was --

"JOHN HAMILL, Died 11th Oct, 1876. Aged 74."

A rich black velvet pall covered the coffin. On the pall there was a white cross full length of the coffin, and also several wreaths of flowers and immortelles. On the arrival of the hearse at the burying ground attached to Hannahstown Roman Catholic Chapel the coffin was taken out and deposited in the family burying-place, the Roman Catholic clergy chanting the De profundis on the way to the tomb. The cervices suitable to the occasion were read by the Rev. F. Watterson, C.C , Hannahstown, and, the grave having been closed over the dead, the solemn proceedings concluded. The entire of the funeral arrangements were entrusted to Mr. John Robson, Belfast, and carried out by his manager, Mr. H. Stewart.

We have been requested to state that William Johnston, Esq., M.P., was prevented from being present through the extreme severity of the weather. The Mayor (Robert Boag, Esq., J.P.) was unable to attend personally, being absent in London. He was represented by his son, Robert Boag, jun., Esq.


SHOCKING TRAGEDY IN LIVERPOOL. -- LIVERPOOL, SATURDAY. -- A shocking tragedy occurred in Liverpool this morning. A man named Kelly and a man unknown were quarelling about religion, Kelly being a Catholic and the other a Protestant, when Kelly drew a large sailors' knife and plunged it into the back of the neck of the other disputant. The police were called and the knife taken out of the man's neck, but he died a few minutes afterwards. Kelly was taken into custody, and made a statement to the effect that they quarrelled about religion, but that he did not know the man he had murdered. Kelly is an elderly Irishman, and formerly followed the sea, and had been in America. There appears to be no reason beyond that stated for the commission of the foul deed. The knife was driven to hilt in deceased's neck, and must have been struck with great force. -- Evening Citizen.



CUSTODY COURT -- Saturday.

[Before CHARLES DUFFIN, Esq., J.P.; ROBERT L. HAMILTON, Esq., J.P.; and EDWARD ORME, Esq., R.M.]


Mary Kelly, a woman well advanced in years, and William M'Knight, a young fellow, were charged by Acting Constable Campbell, who, on being sworn, stated he arrested them between eleven and twelve o'clock on the previous night, at the Donegall Pass. They were drunk, and at the same time were acting in a disorderly manner, and by their conduct they were causing much annoyance in the neighbourhood.

The prisoners pressed upon their Worships the fact that if they were allowed off they would never come back again but their previous character went against them. Kelly had been before the Court on fifty previous occasions, and M'Knight had also been frequently convicted.

Their WORSHIPS ordered Kelly to find bail for her future good behaviour -- herself in 5, and two sureties in 2 10s each, and in default of finding such bail she was to be imprisoned for three months. M'Knight was fined 20s and costs, or a fortnight's imprisonment.


George Milliken, a young lad, was charged with having assaulted a little fellow.

Sub-Constable Watson deposed that he arrested the prisoner. He saw him deliberately strike a little fellow who was pushing a hand-cart along the public street. He did not see the little fellow give the prisoner any canse for the assault.

The prisoner said that the boy he struck had insulted him.

Mr. HAMILTON -- I think you were here before?

Prisoner -- Yes, I was here for stealing tools.

Mr. HAMILTON -- You are commencing crime rather early. Your little brother was here the other day.

A fine of 40s and costs, or a month in jail, was imposed.


John Martin and Mary Grimley, two well-known characters, were each sent to jail for a month. It seemed that they were standing in North Street on Friday evening at the corner of Union Street, and when told by Sub-Constable Rafter to "move on" they refused. He was compelled to lodge them in the Police Office.


Arthur Doris, a respectably-dressed, middle aged man, was put forward in custody of Sub-Constable James Wade, who stated that between twelve and one o'clock that morning the prisoner's father, Denis Doris, came up to him in York Street and informed him that his son (the prisoner) was acting in a violent manner in his house, in Ship Street. Witness went down to the house, and found the prisoner there. He seemed greatly excited, and from the statement his father made he arrested him.

The father said that the prisoner was in an unsound state of mind, the result of drink. He had been obliged to bring him before the Court previously for his violence. On Friday night he came into witness's house, and would have killed his wife and probably himself had not the police come.

The prisoner had nothing to say, and

The BENCH remanded him for a week, in the hope that at the end of that time he would be in a proper state of mind.


Mrs. Mary Ann Burlon. was put forward on remand, charged with having seriously assaulted a woman named Mrs. McDonnell, by striking her with a poker in Lake Street, on the 4th inst.

Mr. Harper represented the defendant.

On the last occasion this case was before the Court a medical certificate was produced showing that Mrs. M'Donnell's life was in danger. The prisoner was then remanded, but on Saturday a medical certificate stated that the assaulted woman was quite free from danger

Evidence had been given already for the prosecution.

Mr. HARPER examined a number of witnesses for the defence; but the evidence being of a contradictory nature,

Their WORSHIPS said it was a case for a jury, and they sent the prisoner for trial to the quarter sessions.


Mr. James Darragh, an official in connection with the Gibraltar training ship, applied to the Bench to make an order to have Alexander Nelson Keogh, a boy eight years of age, sent to that vessel. Mr. Darragh stated, in support of his application, that Keogh, who belonged to the Church of England, was quite destitute. His father was dead, and his mother, who was alive, found it very difficult to earn enough to keep herself. The boy had frequently asked witness for alms.

The BENCH made an order sending the boy to the Gibraltar training-ship for seven years.

Other applications were made to have Alexander Hurst, John Robinson, and Anne Jane Thompson admitted to industrial schools, as they were destitute.

Mr. Robert Steele, who made the application in the case of Hurst and Robinson, having stated his grounds for applying,

Mr. ORME adjourned their cases for a week, and sent Anne Jane Thompson to Hampton House Industrial School for nine years.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


[Before JAMES KEEGAN, Esq., J.P., and EDWARD ORME, Esq., R.M.]


Shortly after the sitting of the Court,

Mr. M'LEAN, jun., said Mr. Coulter had instructed him to apply to have a case that was on the books adjourned. It was against an apprentice in Messrs. Harland & Wolff's employment named James Boole, for having absented himself without leave on the 6th inst. The attorney on the other side, he believed, would not object to an adjournment till Tuesday,

Mr. WARD, appearing for the defendant in the absence of Mr. Rea, did not object to the adjournment asked for.

Mr. KEEGAN accordingly marked the case adjourned till Tuesday.


Five young lads, named James Mulholland, Peter Tierney, James Stewart, John Maloney, and James Hamilton alias Craney, were summoned by Mr. John Preston J.P., for having, on the morning of the 1st inst., broken into his demesne on the Antrim Read, and for breaking down the fences.

Mr. Preston, having been sworn, deposed that on Sunday morning, the 1st inst., he saw the defendants trespassing on his lands.

Mr. KEEGAN -- Did you observe them doing anything?

Mr. Preston -- I saw them breaking over fences. I also saw them breaking down my hedges.

Mr. KEEGAN -- Do you want these boys punished?

Mr. Preston said that Mr. O'Donnell had sent two boys to jail for fourteen days on a previous occasion for a similar offence. He himself had no wish to send boys to jail who had probably never been in jail before, but then what was he to do when they came into his garden and broke down his fences?

Mr. KEEGAN -- I think that when they are detected they should be punished, and I will punish these boys, and for why? If it was any other day than a Sunday that they committed the offence I might let them off.

Mr. Preston -- I would aBk you to adjourn the cases for a month and let the boys pay the costs.

The boys all promised not to be guilty of such conduct in future, and on that condition.

Mr. KEEGAN adjourned the cases for a month, and ordered the defendants to pay their own costs, 2s 6d each.


There were a number of summonses entered on the books brought at the instance of the Town Council against several householders for allowing nuisances to exist on their premises, but in all the cases the nuisance had been abated and the summonses were withdraws.

The remaining cases disposed of were of a petty nature.



The tourist proceeding round the north-east coast of Ireland, en route for the Giant's Causeway, should make the most of whatever enjoyment he may find in the early stages of his progress. A traveller who has reached the pleasant little seaside village of Cushendun by easy stages, each of which he may consider pleasanter and prettier than the preceding, naturally supposes that the improvement is likely to continue, and is apt to look forward to the Causeway as the grand climax to his travels through a country in which he expects to find the pretty and the picturesque gradually develop into the imposing and sublime.

Anyone setting out from Cushendun with anticipations of this kind will be the victim of a grievous disappointment, more especially if he should happen to be so unfortunate as to make one of a carload of explorers among whose impediments is a huge hip-bath wedged into the body of the car, with one of the handles so adjusted as to dig into his spine at every jolt of the cranky vehicle. If in addition to this trifling circumstance he should have taken the car starting late in the afternoon of a dull, bleak day, and should have sent on his travelling rug and portmanteau before him, he may very probably before getting far on his journey, find himself looking forward to the famous Causeway with something of the feelings of a weary pilgrim on his way to Mecca. At Cushendun the road strikes off from the coast and winds over a stretch of country which, on a dull autumn evening at all events, is unutterably dreary and depressing. A great part of the journey extends over a wild and barren heath, in which dark pools of water and curious fissures are spanned by diminutive bridges, each of which has been made to perpetuate the name of the engineer entrusted with so mighty a work. Only a few wild looking sheep are to be seen, and occasionally, perhaps, one or two quaint figures cutting out clumps of black peat; but for miles never a human habitation and never a tree. Even the unflagging spirits of the driver, a genuine "Pat," may well be insufficient to counteract the depressing influence of such scenery as the dusk draws on, and the wind becomes keen and cold, and the handle of that bath seems to grow sharper and to dig more viciously. But the rogue is indescribably droll, and gets as much fun out of that wretched old screw of his as many a less gifted mortal would be able to do with a whole menagerie. Pat will have it that it is absolutely necessary that we should hold on securely, or when his animal has "jist shook off a mighty braif fit o' the blue divils, he'll be off, and we'll all be afther being shot out and left behind." The fit of the blues, however, holds out as far as Ballycastle, and then the tourist finds a comfortable hotel, where he is glad to break the monotony of a dull and wearisome journey, for which he cannot doubt, after all that has been said about it, the Giant's Causeway will prove ample compensation. The drive into this little town is beneath a pretty avenue of trees, and under a bright sun it may look pleasant enough. But after a dull and tedious journey, and under a wet and stormy sky, Ballycastle is felt to be a rather uninviting little settlement, especially if one happens to be aware that the place is a kind of spent rocket-case -- a kind of exploded fisgig, which for a while had the dazzling reputation of being the most rising and prosperous town in Ireland, and then suddenly went out in doleful obscurity. Some 140 years ago one Hugh Boyd built a church here, and set up furnaces and foundries, and salt pans, and tanyards and breweries, and goodness only knows what beside; in short, "he constructed," says Mr. Hamilton, "a most excellent machine" -- a social machine, that is to say -- "but, unfortunately, left it without any permanent principle of motion," and in less than fifty years Ballycastle was all in decay, and even to this day presents ruins of factories and warehouses, and forsaken mine workings, and many other traces of well-meant, but misdirected enterprise. Rather an interesting place, therefore, is this town of Ballycastle for social economists; but tourists do not, as a rule, come out to such corners of creation for the study of social economy, and the great majority of those who wend their way thither will be infinitely more interested in the coast scenery which lies within an easy walk of the town. It is, indeed, rather vexatious to a traveller with limited time to know that between Cushendun and Ballycastle lie some of the most admired spots around the Irish coast, nearly all of which he has lost by the dull inland route of the car. The one supreme point of interest, however, is Fair Head, and this he may comfortably reach from Ballycastle in the course of a morning's walk, The bold grandeur of this headland has often been dilated on, but rarely exaggerated. The view of it from the base is very impressive, towering up as it does to an altitude of over 500 feet from the sea level, though its great height is somewhat obscured by the wild wreck at its feet. There is nothing of the kind, perhaps, in the British Isles more astonishing than the terrific chaos of rocks that have from time to time shattered down from the cliffs above, and now lie in heaps, which might indicate the spot where Milton's contending angels had made the --
      "Hills amid the air encounter hills
      Hurled to and fro with jaculation dire."

There is something, too, indescribably grand in the majestic roll of the Atlantic waves over this vast chaos of jagged rocks. It is easy to reach the summit of Fair Head, especially if, as it may possibly happen, the traveller finds his ins and outs the subject of growing interest on the part of a frisky little Irish bull, who bellows and climbs nimbly about the rocks just a little way below him. With or without such stimulant, however, the Head is not difficult of access, though the face of the cliff stands as perpendicular and almost as regular in form as the pillars before some Grecian temple. To look over the precipice from the summit is most frightful, and the majority of visitors will be content to peer down at the ocean through the Grey Man's path, a tremendous fissure in the cliff which, in the belief of many of the natives of Antrim, the "Grey Man" hewed for himself in a single night. If there is any spot around this part of the Irish coast which would seem to bear out a belief in sea kings, with giants in the retinue, it undoubtedly is just here. It is not merely the stupendous that one may find, however. Nothing in coast scenery can be much more enchanting, at least in some conditions of the atmosphere, than the scene through this crevasse, with the ocean -- the bluest of things green, the greenest of things blue -- down there m the dreary distance, with tiny vessels stealing hither and thither, leaving faint trails of white foam; sea birds skimming through the haze, now in shadow, and now flashing in the sunlight; and the dull, far-away murmur of the waves coming up like music from a world to which you do not belong. It is a very curious fact that right on the summit of this lofty head are one or two tolerably extensive lakes of fresh water, from one of which at times a small rivulet leaps down into the dreadful void overhanging that expanse of broken rocks. Fair Head is undoubtedly a very fine object in the coast scenery here; but comparatively few people rind their way to it. Even of those who "do" this corner of Ireland the great majority are allured by the fame of the Giant's Causeway, and miss this and a score of other most interesting features lying just a little out of the beaten track. -- Globe.


AN UNFORTUNATE BRIDEGROOM. -- A newly married petty officer of her Majesty's gunboat Dasher, Jersey, has met with a singular accident. Some of his shipmates, armed with muskets, went to his residence to give him a salute after his nuptials. He supplied them with refreshments, and laid hold of a gun carried by one of the party, who complained that he could not discharge it. No sooner had he done so than the gun exploded, lacerating the bridegroom's hands in a shocking manner.



THE will, with three codicils, dated December 19, 1866, April 22, 1875, and July 7, and August 1, 1876, of George Hearn, late of Short Street, Curtain Road, and of No. 142, Highbury Newpark, who died on the 5th August last, was proved on the 23rd ult., by John Allum, John Henry Taylor, and William Collinson, the acting executors, the personal estate being sworn under 50,000. Subject to some legacies and annuities, the testator leaves all his property upon trust for his five daughters and his only son.

The will, dated November 20, 1872, of Mr. Henry Vigurs East, late of No. 61, Inverness Terrace, Paddington, who died on the 21st of August last, was proved on the 12th ult, by Mrs. Mary Harriet East, the widow, the sole executrix, to whom he gives and bequeaths the whole of his estate and effects. The personal estate is sworn under 40,000.

The will, dated October 3, 1860, of Sir Percy Burrell, Bart, late of West Grinstead Park, Sussex, M.P. for Shoreham, who died on the 19th of July last, at No, 44, Berkeley Square, was proved on the 3rd inst., by Dame Henrietta Katherine Burrell, the widow, the universal legatee therein named, the the personal estate being sworn under 30,000.

The will, dated May 22, 1873, of Mr. Cosmo Lewis Buff Gordon, late of No. 4, Eccleston Street, and of Rosemount, Bournemouth, who died on the 14th August last, was proved on the 22nd ult., by Mrs. Anna Maria Duff-Gordon, the widow, the acting executrix, the personal estate being sworn under 35,000. The testator bequeaths to his wife 1,000, and all his household furniture and effects; to his butler, William Kerry, an annuity of 50, from the time he leaves his wife's service, for his life; the income of the residue he then gives to his wife for life, and at her death the capital between his five children, his eldest son taking a double share.

The will, dated July 8, 1875, of Mr. Peter Quartin, formerly of No. 8, Berkeley Gardens, but late of Gibraltar, who died on the 6th of January last, was proved in London on the 9th ult, by Mrs. Caroline Quartin, the widow, and William Henry Francis, the executors, the personal estate being sworn under 12,000. -- Illustrated London News.


MALICIOUS BURNING "AT" CLOONEY, NARIN, ARDARA. -- A few nights ago a most malicious and daring outrage was perpetrated on valuable property at Clooney, in the parish of Ardara. A large hay rick, which contained about eighteen tons of superior hay, the property of Mr. Robt O'Donnell, has been consumed by fire, the work of an incendiary. There is no reason for such a wicked crime in such a quiet and peaceable locality; besides, Mr. O'Donnell is a very respectable young man, and most popular among all creeds and classes in the community; but public opinion says that the occurrence is the consequence of the breach of promise case in which he figured so conspicuously at the last spring assizes at Lifford. -- Derry Sentinel.


^ top of page