Belfast Newsletter - Monday, 12 November, 1877


ALDENBURG-BENTINCK -- November 6, at 62, Inverness Terrace, London, the wife of Lieut.-Colonel Aldenburg-Bentinck, Coldstream Guards of a daughter.

CAUGHEY -- November 10, at Bath Cottage, Holywood, the Wife of W.B. Caughey, of a son.

HAMILTON -- November 10, at Newtownards, the wife of Captain George Rowan Hamilton, adjutant of R.N.D.R., of a son.

HOLLAND -- November 7, at 22, Grosvener Street, Grosvenor Square, London, the wife of Major-Gen. L.H.H. Holland, of a daughter.

JEFFERSON -- November 10, at 24, Fleetwood Street, Belfast, the wife of W.J. Jefferson, of a son.

PORTEOUS -- November 10, at Garron Tower, County Antrim, the wife of Mr. Geo. Porteous, of a son.

WARREN -- November 6, at 61, Montague Square, London, W., the wife of Lieut.-Colonel A. Warren, 78th Highlanders, of a son.


AVERELL--HULL -- November 4, at the Parish Church, Lurgan, by the Rev. Theophilus Campbell, Thomas, youngest son of the late Thomas Averell, Clontivren, Clones, to Alice Jane, youngest daughter of John Hull, Silverwood, Lurgan.

CHADWICK--ARNOLD -- November 7, at St. John's Church, Gravesend, by Right Rev. Dr. Danel, Bishop of Southwark, Charles, son of John Chadwick, Esq., of Staneen, Drogheda, to Mabel Catherine, daughter of George Arnold, Esq., Milton Hall, Gravesend.

HARRISON--MARSHAL -- November 1, at St.George's, Bloomebury, London, Chas. Parker, eldest son of the late James Harrison, Esq., of the Old Hall, Samelsbury, near Preston, to Jane, only daughter of the late Lieutenant-General Anthony Marshall, R.E.

MASON--KING -- November 7, at St. Marylebone Church, Middlesex, by the Rev. S.C. Mason. M.A., vicar of Erchfont, Wilts, father of the bridegroom, the Rev. A.L.A. Mason, B.A., curate of Tewkesbury, to Sidney Jane Gower, daughter of Colonel E.R. King, Fort William, Lismore, Ireland, late of the 86th Regiment.

SEMPLE--GREER -- November 9, at Crossroads Presbyterian Church, Larne, Mr. James Semple, to Miss Janette Greer, both of Larne.

WATTERSON--WHITE -- November 8, at St. Thomas's Church, Dublin, by the Rev. Jas. White, rector, John Watterson, Esq., H.M. Customs, to Eliza, second daughter of the late Armstrong White, Esq., Mallow, County Cork.


BOAG -- November 7, at the residence of his son-in-law, Patrick Fleming, Glenorchy House, Newington, Edinburgh, Sir Robert Boag, J.P., in the 68th year of his age. His remains will be removed from Elmwood Church, this (Monday) morning, at nine o'clock, for interment in the Borough Cemetery.

GRAHAM -- November 11, at 19, Pine Street, Belfast, James Graham. His remains will be removed from the above address, for interment in Seagoe Burying-ground, Portadown, on Wednesday morning, 14th instant, at nine o'clock, proceeding by the train leaving the Great Northern Railway terminus at ten o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation.

JOHNSTON -- November 11, at her father's residence, 71, Little Patrick Street, Belfast, Lizzie, the beloved daughter of Robert Johnston. Her remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Muckamore, this day (Monday). at twelve o'clock noon. Friends will please accept this intimation.

JOHNSTON -- November 10, at 87, Grosvener Street, Belfast, Margaret, wife of William Johnston, and second daughter of William M'Ilroy, aged 25 years. Her remains will be removed for interment in the Borough Cemetery, this (Monday) afternoon, at half-past two o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation.

KNOX -- November 9, at his residence, Beechcroft, Strandtown, Belfast, Alexander Knox M.D. late Medical and Poor-law Inspector, aged 75 years. His remains will be removed for interment in Dromore Churchyard, to-morrow (Tuesday) morning, at nine o'clock.

M'CULLOUGH -- November 10, at his father's residence, 114, Reid's Buildings, Mountpottinger, Belfast, John, son of Mr. John M'Cullough. His remains will be removed for interment, this (Monday) afternoon, at one o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation.

TURTLE -- November 9, at Laural Hill, Ballinderry, Catherine, fourth daughter of the late Wm. John Turtle. Her remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Aghalee, to-morrow (Tuesday) morning, at eleven o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation.

ASHE -- At St. Michael's, Merrion, the residence of his brother-in-law, Michael Meade, Esq., J.P., the Rev. D.T. Ashe, aged 75 years.

DILLON -- November 10, at 28, Church Street, Coleraine, Catherine, second daughter of the late John Dillon.

GRAHAM -- November 7, at 9, Maitland Street, Edinburgh, Isabella Graham, second daughter of the late Lord Fullerton, Senator of the College of Justice in Scotland.

M'AFEE -- November 9, at Drumnagessan, Bushmills, Alexander, eldest son of Mr. Robert M'Afee.

PALMER -- November 11, at Ballyclare, County Antrim, Margaret Emily, daughter of T. B. Palmer, Esq., C.E., aged 6 months.

PEMBERTON -- November 7, at Simla, Marguerite Ellen, wife of Major R.C.B. Pemberton, R.E., aged 27 years.

PURDON -- November 9, William Stanley Purdon, M.B., T.C.D., second son of Alderman Edward Purdon, aged 36 years.

STANLEY -- November 8, at 14, Grosvenor Square, London, W., the Lady Mary Stanley, aged 90 years.

TRACEY -- November 9, at 1, Scotchmount Terrace, Belfast, Howard Alexander Mahon, son of Mr. Wm. Tracey, aged 1 year and 6 months.

TURNER -- November 4, at Hagley House, Torquay, Amy Isabel, second daughter of the Rev. James Turner, late of the Vicarage, Deddington, Oxon, aged 16 years.

USHER -- November 6, at Tenby, Lieut.-Colonel E.L. Usher, Madras Army, fifth son of the late Arthur Usher, Esq., of Camphire, County Waterford, aged 75 years.

WALKER -- November 9, after a very prolonged and painful illness, at The Woodlands, Doncaster, Anna, wife of Thomas Walker, Esq., aged 75 years.

WHITE -- November 7, at Gladwyn, Wrexham, Lieut.-Colonel C.H. White (late Coldstream Guards), of the 1st Cheshire Royal Militia, aged 54 years.




PURSUANT TO A DECREE OF THE Hight Court of Chancery, made in the cause in which Alice Eliza Helen Malcomson is Plaintiff, and Helen Christina Malcomson and others are Defendants, the Creditors of Frederick Malcomson, late of Clodiagh, Portlaw, in the County of Waterford, Merchant, who died in or about the month of December, 1876...

A.T. CHATTERTON, Chief Clerk. PEIRSE KELLY, Solicitor, 37, North Great George's Street, Dublin.

-- -- -- -- --


In the Matter of Sydney Hamilton Ryan, formerly of Bagnalstown, in the County of Carlow, Bank Manager, but late of Rostrevor, in the County of Down, deceased.

PURSUANT TO THE STATUTE ... any claims or demands against the Estate and Effects of the said Sydney Hamilton Ryan, who died at Rostrevor, in the County of Down, on or about the 4th day of October, 1877...

ALEXANDER M'COMBE, Solicitor for said Executor, Armagh.

-- -- -- -- --


In the Goods of Robert Martin, late of Largimore, County Down, Carpenter, deceased.

PURSUANT TO AN ACT OF PARLIAMENT ... Notice is hereby given that all persons being Creditors, or otherwise having any claims as next of kin or otherwise upon or against the Estate of Robert Martin, late of Largimore (near Lisburn), in the County of Down, carpenter, deceased, who died on the 23rd day of November, 1876, intestate, to whose estate letters of Administration were granted forth of the District Registry at Belfast of her Majesty's Court of Probate in Ireland on the 15th day of December, 1876, to Mary Martin, the widow of deceased...

PATRICK SHEALS, Solicitor for the said Mary Martin, No. 13, Upper Ormond Quay, Dublin, and 76, Donegall Street, Belfast.

Information is required regarding ROSE ANN MARTIN, otherwise CROSSLEY, Mother of the above Deceased, and who with her daughter JANE MARTIN, left Lisburn about 40 years ago for Liverpool. Communications regarding them to be addressed to the undersigned, PATRICK SHEALS, Solicitor, 13, Upper Ormond Quay, Dublin, and 76, Donegall Street, Belfast.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

BOARD OF TRADE INQUIRY. -- J.C. O'Donnell, Esq., R.M., assisted by Captain Castles, R.N., and Captain Holt, I.N., nautical assesors, resumed, on Saturday, in the Recorders Court, the inquiry into the circumstances of the wreck of the schooner, Waucoma, off the coast of County Down on the 20th ult. Mr. G.K. Smith represented the Board of Trade. Mr. James M'Lean, sen., appeared on behalf of Mr. Morrison, captain of the vessel. Daniel Mulholland, one of the crew, was re-examined, and he stated that the mate, Michael Flynn, was drunk at the time the vessel struck, and that after she struck the captain was going about like a man that was mad. At the time he (witness) went ashore the captain was nearly drunk. He had not seen the master or mate duly sober during the voyage, and he himself generally got three glasses of whisky in the day. Robert Henry Hare on being examined stated that the mate had taken drink on the evening the vessel struck. He had not many opportunities of seeing the captain that evening. James M'Nulty, an ordinary seaman, and Matthew M'Ferran, an able-bodied seaman, were also examined. The inquiry has not yet concluded.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

STREET ACCIDENTS. -- Wm. Hanna, a carter, 32 years of age, was taken to the Belfast Royal Hospital on Saturday, suffering from a fracture of the arm, caused by falling from his cart. Daniel Crosby, aged 40 years, was also taken to the same institution on Saturday, having received injuries to his head by a fall from a car.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

CARRICKFERGUS -- THE GALE. -- The south-west gale of yesterday was felt here with unusual severity. The tide was also exceedingly high, having been level with the coping. stones of the pier. During the prevalence of the gale the schooner Coronella, of Dublin, bound from Troon to the former port, with a cargo of coal, while lying at Whitehouse Roads for shelter, parted her anchors and came into collision with the schooner Prospect, of Belfast, which was also lying at anchor, coal laden. It is not known what injury the Prospect received, but the Coronella had her starboard quarter stove in. The crew of the latter immediately set sail on their vessel, and after much difficulty succeeded in making Carrickfergus harbour, where she was moored, with the assistance of a number of the inhabitants who happened to be on the pier. The gale still continues, accompanied by heavy showers of rain. -- Correspondent.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

CARRICKFERGUS -- SHIP DESERTION. -- On Saturday morning, Captain Howard, of the brigantine George S. Perry, at present lying in the lough, reported to the constabulary at this town that two seamen, named Albert Edward, a native of Jersey, and Romile Joseph, a Frenchman, deserted that vessel on the previous night. No intimation of their intended departure was given to anyone on board, and no boat belonging to the vessel was taken by them when leaving. It is presumed that a raft was constructed out of a number of planks belonging to the vessel, and by this means the men took their departure, taking their clothing, &c., with them. Nothing has since been heard respect them. A month's advance was paid to the men when they joined the vessel, and no complaint was made by them while on board. The George S. Perry entered the lough on Friday, and is bound from Troon to Cuba with a cargo of coal. -- Cor.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

PRESENTATION. -- On Saturday evening a very agreeable and pleasant meeting was held in the Linen Hall Hotel, in connection with the lithographic printers of the Royal Ulster Works. Mr. G. M'Bean, who has been foreman of the lithographic department for upwards of six years, is now about to leave. The men considered that they were in duty bound to make some tangible token of their respect to Mr. M'Bean previous to his leaving as a token of their appreciation of his conduct while in the capacity of their foreman. Upwards of forty members of the trade assembled under the presidency of Mr. H. Maze, a much respected member of the trade. The chairman having stated in suitable terms the object of the meeting, gave the usual loyal and patriotic toasts, when, in a brief address, he referred to the career of Mr. M'Bean since he came to Belfast, and stated, on behalf of the lithographic printers of the Royal Ulster Works, that he had much pleasure in presenting him with a beautiful timepiece, and hoped he might long live to enjoy it, and that he would always remember the men he had been so long and honourably connected with. Mr. Vinycomb, head of the artistic department, then addressed the meeting, and referred in complimentary terms to the pleasure he had at all times in working with Mr. M 'Bean, and stated that he had received most valuable assistance from him, and always found him to be a man of strict integrity, and whose word could at all times be relied on, who was much respected by Mr. Sheilds, head of the lithographic department, and by the members of the firm which he had so faithfully served for the past six years. Mr. M'Bean replied. In the course of his remarks he stated that it was with feelings of the greatest satisfaction that be accepted the very handsome and substantial gift, and that, wherever his lot may be cast in the future, or in whatever position he may be found, he would ever look back with feelings of pleasure and pride upon the years he had spent among the men of Belfast. He considered it an honour to be connected with the firm of Marcus Ward & Co., whose name and whose fame are known not only all over Ireland but throughout the world, and that he was pleased to think that the department they were connected with had largely contributed to the making of that good name. The reputation of being able to compete with the French and Germans in chromo-lithography was no small matter, and by no means an easy task. All honour to the Messrs. Ward, and long may they be supported by such a. staff of skilful, industrious, and intelligent workmen. "Prosperity to the Royal Ulster Works" was given and warmly received, and responded to by Mr. George Long in a suitable address. Songs and recitations were given by several members of the company. The meeting was brought to a close by the company singing "Auld Lang Syne."

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

MELANCHOLY CASE OF POISONING AT MOVENIS, NEAR GARVAGH. -- On Saturday morning week a sad case of suicide occurred at Movenis, in the parish of Desertoghill, the victim being a young unmarried woman of prepossessing appearance, named Margaret M'Alister, twenty-one years of age. On Monday, the 5th instant, an inquest was held by Mr. Coroner Gailey. The jury found that deceased commItted suicide by poisoning herself in her father's house at Movenis, on Saturday morning, the 3rd instant, while in a state of temporary insanity. -- Coleraine Chronicle.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

FUNERAL OF DR. DAVIS, OF NEWRY. -- On Saturday morning last the remains of Dr. Alexander Davis, of Newry, were removed from his late residence in Sugar Island for interment in St. Patrick's Church Burying-ground. The chief mourners were the sons, sons-in-law, and other relatives of deceased. The pall-bearers were:-- Messrs. James Fegan, J.P.; John J. O'Hagan, J.P.; Robt. Glenny, Robert Dempster, George M'Cracken, James M'Mahon, Francis Horner, Abraham R. Walker. The funeral cortege was one of the largest seen in Newry for years, and included all the leading professional and mercantile men of the town and neighbourhood. The Royal Irish Constabulary of Newry, to whom the deceased had been medical attendant for many years, followed the remains to the graveyard. The Rev. T.B. Swanzy, incumbent of St. Mary's, read the burial service of the Irish Church at the grave, which shortly after closed over the remains of a faithful physician and an esteemed townsman. -- Correspondent.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SUDDEN DEATH. -- An inquest was held in Downpatrick on Saturday by William Davidson, Esq., coroner, on the body of a man named John Kelly, who died very suddenly on Friday night. The deceased, who had been a healthy man, had been employed for some time as a driver in one of the posting establishments in that town. A jury having been sworn, several witnesses were examined who stated that the deceased had been drinking for some three months; latterly he had had some disagreements with his wife and family. It was deposed that he had often threatened to take away his life. Matthew Kelly, son of deceased, stated that at twelve o'clock on Friday night his father rose and walked through the room, and shortly afterwards he called for him to rise as he was dying. When he rose his father told him to hold him as he was in a "shivering fit." About an hour afterwards he died in witness's arms. Dr. Taylor was then examined and stated that he had made a post mortem examination of the body. He found the stomach healthy, aud their was no symptom of poisoning. The intestines (the witness stated) were distended, and the veins of the neck very much swollen. He gave it as his opinion that death resulted from apoplexy. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony. Correspondent.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

FLOODS IN COUNTY DOWN. -- The remarkably heavy rains of Saturday night and yesterday have caused large floods in the neighbourhoods of Bangor, Comber, Dundonald, and Donaghadee. The Ballycroghan dam, near the Groomsport Road station, is more than twice its ordinary size, and between Bangor and Conlig the water is almost over the road. The Glassmoss, near Comber, is a perfect lake on both sides of the road, which by the way is at this place very dangerous, there being no fences on either side, and between Dundonald and Comber much of the low-lying land is completely covered, and a large portion of the Loughersscouse and Cottown bogs are both under water. The potato crop, already much damaged, will be still further injured by the heavy rains. -- Cor.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

DESTRUCTIVE FIRES IN NEWRY. -- On Saturday morning, about four o'clock, a fire broke out in the premises of Mr. Maginnis, boot and shoe maker, North Street. Information was at once conveyed to the fire brigade office, and in a short time a number of the men were on the spot. On arriving it was found that the fire, which originated in the lower part of the premises, had reached the second story. The efforts of the brigade were directed to prevent the spread of the flames, and with this view a plentiful supply of water was poured on the adjoining houses. Two jets having been kept playing on the burning building, the fire was completely extinguished in about an hour. The premises are entirely gutted, and the damage done is roughly estimated at £1,000. -- In the evening of the same day, about four o'clock, the premises of Messrs. Grant, Coburn, & Co., ship-brokers and insurance agents, William Street, also took fire. The fire brigade were immediately on the scene, but about half an hour elapsed before any water could be got. During this time the flames were rapidly extending, and when the jets began to play upon the building the entire premises were in flames, and fears were entertained that the houses on each side of the burning premises would also be ignited. With a view to prevent this the fire brigade poured a copious supply of water on the houses, which had the desired effect. The flames were solely confined to the premises of Messrs. Coburn & Co., which were completely destroyed. The fire raged for upwards of two hours, and the greatest consternation prevailed in the neighbourhood. It is believed the damage done will amount to several thousand pounds. -- Cor.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

ROBBERIES FROM THE NEWTOWNARDS WORKHOUSE. -- On Friday, a man named Thomas Burns, who wore the workhouse clothes, was arrested by the constabulary in a field down the Comber Road on a charge of stealing money from several persons in the workhouse. Near the spot where he was arrested a number of shovels the property of the union were found with the shafts cut off them. Some time ago Burns was brought before the Petty Sessions Court charged with the theft of some carpenters' tools from the workhouse, but in the absence of evidence he was discharged. Some of the tools were found near to where the shovels were concealed. Burns was also blamed with having stolen books from the workhouse. He was taken before a magistrate, and remanded. -- Cor.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


EARLY on Saturday morning it was discovered that an extensive burglary had been committed in Lisburn, resulting in the abstraction of a very large number of watches and jewellery. Several pawn offices were entered by burglars during the night, and about 200 gold and silver watches, a quantity of wedding rings and other articles of jewellery, together with boots and clothes removed. The pawn offices entered are those of Mr. Nelson and Mrs. Pelan. On the robbery being discovered the Lisburn police were at once communicated with, and descriptions of the missing articles were supplied to them, but they were unable to secure the perpetrators. The members of the detective force were also informed of the occurrence, and descriptions of suspicious persons who had been seen in Lisburn previous to the burglary were forwarded to them. They have arrested four persons on suspicion of being connected with the burglary. Their names are:-- John Cuming alias Campbell, Central Street, Ballymacarrett; Robert M''Cullough, Glasgow; James Costello, Glasgow; and Robert Bunting, alias Donnell, alias M'Donald, Glasgow. Two of these persons were arrested at the Ardrossan boat on Saturday, at half-past two o'clock, when the vessel was about to sail, and the other two were arrested on board the Glasgow steamer in the evening. A member of the detective force arrested a fifth person in High Street, on suspicion of being connected with the burglary, but he was discharged, as it was found he was not one of the "wanting" individuals. It is alleged that there was a regular gang of these burglars, and that they had taken up their quarters in Ballymacarrett. The arrest of these people will, we understand, be the means of enabling the authorities to recover large quantities of the missing property.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

WRECK OF A CLYDE VESSEL AND LOSS OF LIFE. -- A Lloyd's telegram, dated New York, says the Zealandia, from Quebec to Greenock, has been abandoned; part of the crew saved.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

A VESSEL ABANDONED. -- Captain Oliver Blanch and crew of ship Harewood were landed at Shields yesterday, having been rescued from their vessel, which was abandoned on the homeward voyage from Quebec. One man was lost.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


The Peninsular and Oriental steamer Ceylon, with India, China, and Australia mails, ex Sumatra, and Hydaspea, from Bombay and Calcutta respectively, left Alexandris for Brindisi on Sunday, at eleven o'clock a.m.

The Allan steamer Peruvian, from Quebec November 3, arrived at Moville on Sunday evening at 6-50. She landed mails, including those for London, and proceeded for Liverpool immediately.

The Anchor line royal mail steamship Ethiopia, from Glasgow, arrived at New York at two o'clock on Friday afternoon -- all well.

The State line steamer State of Pennsylvania sailed from Larne on Saturday night at ten o'clock, for New York.

The Union steamer Seuton, which was to have left Plymouth on Friday with the Cape mails, and the French Transatlantic Company's steamer France, bound for New York, await at Plymouth an abatement of the gale.

The White Star United States mail steamer Britannia, from New York, arrived at Queenstown yesterday morning at 11-40. She brings 294 passengers; landed all mails and some passengers, and proceeded immediately for Liverpool -- all well.

The Inman steamer City of Richmond left New York on Saturday with mails for England.

The African Company's steamer Biafra, from the West Coast of Africa, arrived at Madeira yesterday morning at ten o'clock.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


Colonel J.H.S. Pierce, Bombay Staff Corps, is about to retire from the Service on the pension of his rank, £456 5s a year, and a special annuity of £325 7s.

-- -- -- --


It has been decided that medical officers now holding appointments as medical surgeons, and acting assistant-surgeons in the auxiliary forces will in future be styled surgeons and acting-surgeons respectively.

-- -- -- --


Royal North Down -- Herbert Edward Watts to be second lieutenant.

Royal South Down -- Lieutenant B.L.J. Goff resigns his commission.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


WIND -- S.W.


The Bertha (s), Walker, from Dunkirk, with a general cargo -- To order; Henry Gowan, agent.

The Meg. Williams, from Chester, with fire-clay goods and anchors and chains.


The Norseman (s), from Ayr; Guyers (s). from Fleetwood; Eglinton (s), from Glasgow; Millom (?) Castle, from Garston; Sultan, Clara, Elgin, Warwick, Busy, Coquette, Cosmopolitan, Olive, Eclipse, and Enchantress, from Maryport; Annis(?) and Empress, from Runcorn.


The Bertha (s), Walker, for Dunkirk, via. Glasgow. The Georgina, for Glasgow; Primrose, for Maryport; Caroline, for Workington.


From Gravesend, November 8, the Mercury (s), Douglas, from Belfast, for Bordeaux.

From Cardiff, November 9, the Banchory (s), Cecumbie, from Belfast, for Carthegenia.


At Memel, November 5, the barquentine Globe, M'Giffin, of and from Belfast.


Deal, November 8, the ship Star of Albion, of Belfast, Hughes, from London, for Calcutta. The Lizard, November 7, the City of Rotterdam (s), Jeffares, from Belfast, for Rotterdam.


October 2, the brig Hamilton, Puree, of and from Belfast, for Porto Rico, via Glasgow, in lat. 21 N., long, 45 W.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


[Before the Full COURT.]


Mr. OVEREND applied to remit this case to the Chairman of Quarter Sessions for the division of Armagh. It was an action to recover £11 odd on foot of a contract.

Motion granted.


Mr. KISBEY moved for a conditional order for a certiorari or mandamus directed to the justices of the County Down to bring up, with the view of having reviewed, certain orders made by the justices at the licensing sessions at Banbridge on the 2nd September, and an order made at quarter sessions on appeal from that order. It appeared that Mr. Martin had purchased, for between £400 and £500, the interest in a grocery business and some land near Banbridge. He stated in his affidavit that he had largely improved the house and premises for carrying on the spirit grocery trade. He applied for a certificate at the licensing session at Banbridge in September last, but the justices made an order refusing the certificate, on the ground that the license was not required in the neighbourhood. Mr. Kisbey submitted that under the act the only reason to justify a refusal of the certificate was on the ground of objection to the character of the applicant, of unsuitability of the premises. These objections were not urged in the present case. An appeal was taken from the order, and at the quarter sessions, on the hearing of the appeal, the Chairman expressed his opinion that the order was without jurisdiction, and ought to be reversed; but a majority of the justices differing with him, the appeal fell through. Counsel was thereupon consulted, and the present proceeding instituted.

The COURT granted a conditional order.


In this case, which was at argument the previous day, and the facts of which have been already reported in the News Letter, the Court was of opinIon that the verdict should stand for the plaintiff. The action had been instituted by Mrs. Mary Anne Moore to recover £105 8s 6d, the amount of a deposit receipt. The receipt had passed into the hands of a third party, to whom the bank paid it, not knowing of the death of plaintiff's husband, who had originally made the lodgment.


In this case, Mr. M'LAUGHLIN, Q.C. (with whom was Mr. M'Crossan), on the part of John M'Gowan, moved to make absolute a conditional order for a certiorari granted for the purpose of quashing a conviction of plaintiff (M'Gowan) by the justices. On the 26th of January last M'Gowan was summoned by a man named Quin for unlawfully breaking the lock of a gate leading to a garden of which Quin claimed to be the owner. Quin alleged that the garden had been sold to him by M'Gowan, who was admittedly the owner some years previously; but the sale was denied by M'Gowan. Witnesses having been then examined on both sides. the magistrates convicted M'Gowan. Their conviction was impugned on the ground that it involved a question of title.

Mr. HOUSTON, on the part of Quin, appeared to sustain the conviction.

The LORD CHEIF JUSTICE said the evidence laid before the magistrates appeared to have been that for two and a half years before the act complained of Quin had been in peaceable possession of the premises; and that M'Gowan after having been absent in Scotland came back and broke the lock of the gate. On the other hand, M'Gowan did not lay any evidence of title before the magistrates. Under the circumstances the conviction was right, and should be affirmed, but without costs.


This case came before their lordships on a case stated by Mr. Humphreys, one of the justices for the district of Strabane. It appeared that the appellant, Mathew Martin, had been summoned by the justice for being drunk in Strabane, on 14th of December, 1876. Evidence was given in sustainment of the charge by Coulter, a police officer, the present respondent. The summons was for the 8th January, 1877. A question arose wether, under the provisions of the Towns' Improvement Act of 1874, and of the Licensing Acts of 1872 and 1874, the summons should not have been taken out in the name of one of the Town Commissioners, and not in the name of a police officer, although he was to prove the offence. A similar question was argued in the Common Pleas and Exchequer, and the judges in these courts considered there was nothing in the point, and that the summons might be in the name of the police officer.

The COURT was unanimously of opinion the decision of the Exchequer and Common Pleas was right, and they would follow it.

Mr. D. COLQUHON was heard in support of the appeal.

Mr. H. Holmes, Q C. (Law Adviser), appeared contra.


Mr. RICHARD DANE (instructed by Mr. Macniffe) applied on behalf of James Weir, of Ashwoods, County Fermanagh, for a conditional order for a writ of certiorari directed to the Justices of the County Fermanagh to bring up an order made at the Enniskillen petty sessions on the 17th of September last, for the purpose of having the same quashed, on the grounds that the said trustees had no jurisdiction to make the order, a serious question of title being involved.

The COURT granted the motion.

[Before Chief Justice MORRIS, Mr. Justice KEOGH. and Mr. Justice LAWSON.


This was an action for trespass, quare clausam fregit. The summons and plaint averred that the defendant broke and entered plaintiffs quarry, near Caledon, County Tyrone, and took a quantity of stones therefrom. The plaintiff is a farmer, on whose land the quarry is situate, and the defendant is a road contractor.

Mr. WEIR moved for leave to plead several defences -- the accord and satisfaction, the justification under a. magistrate's order, and a special plea alleging that the defendant had issued a summons to obtain an order of the magistrates in respect to the quarrying of stones, and that, on condition of the defendant abandoning the summons, plaintiff agreed to allow the stones to be taken from the quarry.

Motion granted.


This was an action to recover £329 for goods sold and delivered. The plaintiff, Sarah Mills, sues as executrix of Charles Mills, deceased, who was a farmer in the County Monaghan. The defendant was described as a resident in Manchester.

Mr. FRASER applied for liberty to substitute service on defendant's agent. The defence raised a question of account between the parties.

The COURT refused the motion, as it did not appear from any affidavit that there would be difficulty in serving the defendant personally.

COURT OF PROBATE -- SATURDAY. (Before the Right Hon Judge WARREN and a Special Jury.]


The hearing of this case was resumed at the sitting of the Court, the details of which have already appeared in the News-Letter. It was a suit to establish as the last will and testament of the late Mr. Denis Kelly, at Waterlodge, County Louth, a document bearing date 22nd May, 1877, and by which the plaintiffs were appointed executors, and the only son of the deceased was left £100 per annum. The defendant, who was the son of the deceased, disputed the will on the ground that undue influence had been exercised over his father, for some time before he died, in an adverse manner to him.

The SOLICITOR-GENERAL said he was happy to say that the case had been settled. The conditions of the arrangement were that the will propounded was to be established, and a deed was to be executed, whereby the annuity of £100 a year left by the testator to the defendant, and the interest of the deceased in the lands of Waterlodge and Balriggan (which was left by the will to Mr. Michael Kelly, one of the plaintiffs) were to be placed in the hands of trustees in trust, in order to allow the defendant and his wife and his children, if they had any, to reside on the lands of Waterlodge, and enjoy the profits of both, during the life of the defendant, on condition that he would manage the farm and conduct himself to the satisfaction of the trustees; and after the death of the defendant the lands were to be held for the benefit of the widow for her life, and after her death to go to their children, if any, on attaining the age of twenty-one years. If none of the children attained that age, the lands were to go to Mr. Michael Kelly or his heirs. With respect to the annuity of £100, it was to be paid to the defendant so long as he conducted himself satisfactorily, and with reasonable diligence and good conduct. He (the Solicitor-General) observed that the result of the settlement would be that the defendant and his family would have the £100 a year and the profits of these lands containing 30 acres, with a residence to live on, subject to his own good conduct, and it was to be hoped he would conduct himself properly. There was a clause in the deed to the eliect that the defendant should have no power of alienating any portion of the property. He wished to state on behalf of Mr. Michael Kelly, the plaintiff, and uncle of the defendant, that the difficulty which had arisen in the settlement of the case was from his anxiety to provide for the wife or children of the defendant. He had, as the court observed, given up the benefits he derived under the will, with the making of which he had nothing to do, and he did not even know its provisions until after the testator's death, The plaintiff had sought nothing for himself, but given up everything he derived under the will freely.

His LORDSHIP said that from the evidence there did not appear to be the slightest imputation on Mr. Michael Kelly's conduct in the whole transaction.

Mr. MURPHY, Q.C., on behalf of the defendant, said that Mr. Michael Kelly, his client's uncle, had acted with very great generosity in the matter, and on behalf of his client he begged to return him his thanks. His client expressed a hope that his uncle would assist him in the struggle of reclaiming his life, and leading a better life in the future.

The will was then established.

Counsel for plaintiffs -- The Solicitor-General, Messrs. Macdonagh, Q C.; James B. Murphy, Q.C.; aud John Nash (instructed by Mr. Tandy). For defendant -- Messrs. James Murphy, Q.C.; A.M Porter, Q.C.; and T. Pakenham Law (instructed by Mr. Burton Booth).


The business of these sessions was resumed on Saturday morning, shortly after ten o'clock, in the Courthouse, Crumlin Road, before JOHN HASTINGS OTWAY, Esq., Q.C., Chairman for the County Antrim.


Sarah Officer, William Armstrong (auctioneer, Antrim), and John Brown, who had been found guilty of refusing to deliver up four cows, the property of Mr. Joseph English, Crumlin, the cattle having been unlawfully seized on the 22nd June last, were called to receive sentence.

The prisoners had since the verdict of the jury been out on their own recognizances, and judgment was withheld till that day, to see if the cattle or their value in money would be handed over to the complainant.

Mr. WARD, who appeared for Miss Officer, said the parties had been unable to get back the cattle, but they had lodged their value in court -- £40 7s 6d.

The CHAIRMAN -- I think you may be prepared to increase that sum.

Mr. WARD -- It is all the money Miss Officer can get.

Mr. English said he was willing to take whatever his Worship thought fair and reasonable.

The CHAIRMAN said the others were as amenable as Miss Officer, and if they did not increase the sum by £5 he would pass sentence upon them.

Mr, WARD -- Miss Officer has done all she can, but the others have not subscribed one halfpenny.

The CHAIRMAN -- I understand that one of the prisoners has said he will go to jail sooner than pay. Let the jailer be sent for, and I will teach Mr. Brown, who is the more guilty of the lot, that he cannot violate the law.

The jailer was then sent for, but in the meantime Mr. Armstrong paid £5 tor Mr. Brown. The money (£45 7s 6d) was then handed to the Clerk of the Peace. On the arrival of the jailer

The CHAIRMAN said he could not exculpate Mr. Brown, and he was just considering whether he would, notwithstanding that the money had been paid, send him to prison. He had had the audacity to say in this court, which was a great contempt of Court, that he would not pay another fraction; but he would teach Mr. Brown, and people like him, that he could not violate the law. He had sent for the jailer in order that Mr. Brown might be commited to jail, but he had changed his mind, and would advise him to take care how he spoke to the Court in future, and not insult it by such contempt. As the money had been paid he would only fine the parties 6d each.

The prisoners were then discharged, and Mr. English was handed the money that had been lodged with the clerk.


The Holywood Town Commissioners issued a process against Andrew Jackson, to recover a sum of £7 for injury he caused to two lamps in Holywood.

Mr. M'Lean appeared for the Commissioners, and Mr. C.H. Ward for the defendant.

It appeared from the evidence that the defendant, who was the owner of a horse and car, when in Holywood some time ago, beat the animal in such a violent manner that it galloped furiously through the streets and knocked down two lamp posts, and also smashed the lamps. New lamps and posts had to be put up by the plaintiffs at a cost of £7.

The defence was that the animal ran away, and that the damage done was a great deal less in value than the sum mentioned in the process.

A decree for the full amount was given.


The plaintiff, Thomas Norris, a shipbuilder, processed the defendant, who is a tailor, carrying on business in Townsend Street, Belfast, to recover a sum of £2 for work and labour done.

Mr. M'Lean appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr. Sheals for Savage.

The defendant is the owner of a nine ton yacht, and the plaintiff processed him for £2, the balance of an account due for repairs he made on the yacht.

The defence was that the repairs were not done in a satisfactory manner, and according to an agreement drawn up at the time of the contract.

The CHAIRMAN gave a decree for £2, and said the defendant could bring a cross action for bad workmanship.


Thomas O'Laughlin prosecuted Joseph Bell, Elias Bell, and Elias H. Thompson, trading as Bell & Calvert, millowners, Whitehouse, to recover a sum of £20 for injury he sustained while in their employment by reason of the negligence of a fellow servant.

Mr. Sheals represented the plaintiff, and Mr. Harper appeared for the defendants.

The plaintiff, who is about 16 years of age, was examined, and deposed that he had been in the employment of the defendants for some months as an oiler. In the month of September last he was ordered to oil the machinery of a spinning frame. He asked Thomas Middleton, a millwright in the establishment, to get him some oil for the purpose, and Middleton ordered one of the workers named Miller to bring witness tallow. The tallow was brought, and Middleton gave witness directions how to put it on with his hand, at the same time patting some of the tallow on with his own hand. The machinery was in motion at the time. Witness got the tallow into his hand, and when attempting to put it on one of the wheels his hand was caught in the machinery and badly mutilated. He was conveyed to the Belfast Royal Hospital, where he remained for three weeks. When he came out he resumed his work in the mill, but the defendants refused to give him the wages he had got previous to the accident. They offered him 10s for fifteen days, and on his refusing to accept of it they told him he need not come back. He did go back, but they would not keep him. His hand had been rendered almost useless since the accident.

To Mr. HARPER -- I knew that it was against the orders of the mill to put grease on with the hand. I am not aware that Middleton would have been dismissed if he had been seen putting expensive grease on the machinery.

This closed the case for the plaintiff.

Constantine O'Neill, head spinning-master in the mill, was then examined by Mr. HARPER. He stated that the plaintiff, who had been an oiler in the mill for some eight months previous to this occurrence, was quite competent for his business, and had always performed it satisfactorily. He was supplied with three cans, made specially for oiling machinery, and it was his duty to always use some of them. Grease was only used on large machinery, and was much more expensive than oil. It was against the orders of the mill to use grease on machinery such as the plaintiff was working at. Witness was the person to whom all applications for oil were made, and on the day of this occurrence coarse oil suitable for this machinery was asked for by the plaintiff. Witness told him he had none, but that he would go to the store and get other oil that would suit. In the meantime the plaintiff went and obtained grease by Middleton's direction. Middleton had no authority to give the plaintiff the grease, and in fact had no business in the department where the grease was stored. Previous to this occurrence witness had shown the plaintiff how to use the oilcan on this machinery.

To Mr. SHEALS -- When the boy came to me and I said there was no oil I said I would go down and see after oil, and it was when I was away that he received the injury.

The case was dismissed, and the CHAIRMAN suggested that the boy should get some compensation.


Walter Burns, Arcade Buildings, Hammond's Court, processed Samuel Hogg to recover £8, the value of an harmonium.

Mr. Dickson represented the plaintiff, and Mr. Harper appeared for the defendant.

From the evidence it would seem that the harmonium was lent by the plaintiff, who keeps a music warehouse, to a man named Moore, at the rate of 5s per month. When Moore had paid for the first month the harmonium, amongst other things, was seized upon the foot of a civil bill decree the defendant had obtained against him. The plaintiff on hearing that it was seized, went to the defendant and requested him to hand him over the harmonium, and explained to him that Moore had only had it from him on hire. Hogg refused to give it up, and afterwards sent it to an auction mart in Smithfield, where it was sold. When the process was issued Hogg brought the instrument to the plaintiffs warehouse, but at that time it was considerably damaged, and worth about £4 -- half its value.

The defence was that the instrument was given back to Mr. Burns as soon as possible, and that it received scarcely any damage.

The CHAIRMAN gave a decree for 30s.

Mr. DICKSON said Mr. Burns would never have brought the case into court only that it was to assert an established principle.


The CHAIRMAN said that in the case of James Usher, who appealed against the decision of the magistrates, in refusing to grant him a renewal of his certificate for licenced premises at Aghalee, he had decided to allow the man his licence, but on the conditions that he would remain on the premises, or put some one in the place who would do so.

The evidence was that the appellant had a farm, and as he was unmarried that he kept no one in the house. He frequently closed his shop, and went to labour on his farm.

Mr. Alexander O'Rorke appeared for the appellant.

The business of the sessions concluded at five o'clock.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


-- -- -- -- -- --


[Before CHARLES DUFFIN, Esq., J.P.; and R.L. HAMILTON, Esq., J.P.]


A boy, named Richard Hutton, was brought forward, charged with having in his possession a cochin china hen, supposed to have been stolen.

From the evidence of Sub-Constable Madden it appeared that he met the prisoner that morning, between one and two o'clock, in May Street, with the hen in his possession.

The prisoner was remanded for a week in order that inquiries might be made about the hen.


George Cotter, aged fourteen, was charged at the instance of his father, Robert Cotter, with having used threatening language towards him.

The prisoner was sent to jail for one month, and, at the expiration of that period, he is to find bail for his future good behaviour, or in default to be imprisoned for a further term of one month.


Thomas Wright was fined 40s and costs for being drunk while in charge of two horses and carts on the Crumlin Road the previous day.

David Casement was fined 20s and costs for being drunk in charge of a horse and car in Great Patrick Street.

-- -- -- --


[Before EDWARD ORME, Esq., R.M.; and J.C. O'DONNELL, Esq., R.M.]


A young man named Steele was summoned for negligently driving a horse and van, where by he knocked clown a gentleman at the Linen Hall, opposite Donegall Place.

The Mayor (John Preston, Esq., J.P.) deposed that he had been speaking to Mr. Smyth, of Banbridge, and just as they were parting Mr. Smyth was suddenly struck and knocked down by a horse and van driven by the defendant. When struck, Mr. Smyth exclaimed, "What is that?" and he (the Mayor) replied that he did not know, as he had not seen the vehicle coming up at all, but, on turning round, he saw the defendant in charge of a horse and van, and told him to stand. In his opinion, it was highly culpable that any person entrusted with a horse and vehicle should act in a careless and negligent manner as the defendant had done. The place where the occurrence took place was about five yards from the kerbstone. The defendant appeared most negligent and careless, and it was a danger to the lives of the people that such parties should have charge of a horse and cart. He never saw in his life a case of greater negligence. Mr. Smyth was knocked down, and, when raised, was found to have received a severe wound on the forehead. He was taken at once to the Royal Hotel, and his two sons, one of whom was Dr. Bryce Smyth, were sent for. For a time it was feared that erysipelas should supervene.

Mr. HARPER, who appeared for the defendant, inquired if the defendant was sober at the time.

The Mayor -- He appeared to be sober, but extremely careless.

Mr. O'DONNELL -- What kind of vehicle was he driving?

The Mayor -- A kind of spring cart. He was driving pretty quickly, otherwise I would have seen him.

To Mr. HARPER -- I did not see him either galloping or trotting. I did not see where he came from. He was like coming from College Square.

It appeared that Mr. Smyth had heen taken home to Banbridge on the day in question, and the danger of erysipelas had not yet passed away.

Mr. M 'LEAN, jun., who appeared for the prosecution, suggested an adjournment.

Mr. HARPER said no person regretted the occurrence more than his client. The fact was he was driving his van out of the Linen Hall and he had to turn his animal at the very place where the gentlemen were standing, and was so situated that it was impossible for him to see them.

The Mayor -- So far from it being impossible, he could have driven a coach and four beyond us.

Mr. ORME -- I wonder there are not more lives lost.

Mr. HARPER said the boy had most respectable employers and was a careful and sober driver.

The Mayor -- He could not be in more respectable employment than that of Mr. Shillington. I have nothing to say against his sobriety or character, but more negligent driving I have never known. I think it a miraculous escape that Mr. Smyth was not killed.

Mr. HARPER said he was prepared to show it was an accident, over which the defendant had no control. He was driving out of the Linen Hall, and the gentlemen were standing on the crossing, and the vehicle accidentally struck one of them. There were three crossings at the place; it was impossible for the defendant to keep his eye on the three at the same time.

The case was adjourned till the 14th inst.


Francis Brown was summoned at the instance of the Mayor, aldermen, and burgesees, the sanitary authorities for the borough, for permitting a nuisance to exist on the premises, 2, 3, 4, and 5, M'Lorinan's Court, the houses being without yard accommodation, there being only one common ashpit between them.

An order was made to have the nuisance abated. John Allen was summoned by the same complainants for having failed to comply with a notice served upon him on the 6th inst., requiring him to whitewash the walls and ceiling of the house, 62, Lagan Street, where contagious disease had occurred.

A fine of 10s and costs was inflicted.


Messrs. Cullen, Allen, & Co. was summoned at the suit of the Belfast Harbour Commissioners for obstructing a shed at the Donegall Quay by allowing a number of bags of bran to remain there from the 31st instant till the date of the issue of the summons.

Mr. Ward prosecuted.

The defendants were fined 20s and 12s costs.

Captain John Cross, master of the steamer Thomas Dugdale, was summoned for sailing his vessel after the advertised hour on the night of the 25th ult.

Mr. Ward prosecuted, and Mr. M'Lean, jun., defended.

The defendant was ordered to pay the costs of court.


Daniel Ward, a little boy, was summoned by Sub-Constable Ellis, charged with having thrown stones in Wall Street on the, 2nd inst.

Mr. M'Lean, jnr., prosecuted.

The constable stated that he saw the defendant throw a. stone at Trinity Church schoolroom.

Mr. ORME -- Did you see him breaking glass? The constable said he did not, but he saw a pane broken in the school.

Mr. ORME said the practice of stone throwing must be put a stop to. When he inflicted a fine on these little fellows it was their parents who suffered, as they bad to pay the money.

A fine of 5s and costs was imposed.

Henry M'Clatchey, a young lad, was summoned for throwing stones in Linnview Street on the 4th instant.

Sub-Constable Mulhern said that on the day in question he saw several boys throw stones at Mr. Lindsay's property in Linnview Street. The defendant was one of them.

The defendant denied that he threw stones.

Mr. ORME said this stone-throwing must be by all means put down. He would fine the defendant 10s and costs.


Hugh Davidson, mate of the schooner Storm Nymph, summoned John .Brennan, master of the same vessel, for having assaulted him. Captain Brennan also summoned Davidson for assault.

Mr. M'Lean, jun., appeared for Davidson, and Mr. Coulter for Brennan.

Hugh Davidson deposed that he joined the Storm Nymph in May last. He was on board of her on the 6th inst. On that evening after supper he was about to go ashore when he met the captain. He complained to witness of the crew having consumed too much food during the voyage. Witness replied that he could not tell how that could be. The captain then told witness how much butter and bread and such like had been used. Witnesses told him the usage he got when on board the last ship he was on, and added that he was a great deal better off. The captain then said if he had the victualling of the vessel there would not be so much. Witness said he did not care, as they could not get less victuals, as they got bread, butter, and coffee fourteen times a week. The captain then came across to him and caught him by the throat and knocked him down and while witness was down he struck and kicked him. A man that was waiting on witness came up and prevented him from doing anything more. In consequence of the captain's violence witness was obliged to leave the vessel. He was owing £1 13s 4d wages.

In reply to Mr. COULTER, the witness said it was not his duty to look after the provisions unless they were given in charge to him. The men got beef for dinner.

James Birney deposed that he heard a noise in the cabin, and when he went in he saw Davidson between the captain's legs. He had Davidson by the back of the neck with the right hand, and he was laying on him with the left.

Cross-examined -- He did not know what provocation, if any, Davidson gave the captain.

Captain Brennan was then examined, and stated that Davidson had given him trouble for some time. It was his (Davidson's) duty to look after the provisions. The ship was well provisioned -- as well as any ship in the port. Witness fancied there was too much used, and he spoke to the mate about the matter on Tuesday night. He said certain articles were not on board the ship, and witness said they were. Davidson swore witness was a liar. Witness was sitting on the sofa at the time, and he rose up and told Davidson he would give him an explanation, and brought him back as he was going out of the cabin. Davidson then struck him, and witness struck him back in return. Witness was ready to pay Davidson his wages at any time.

Mr. ORME thought it would be best to dismiss both cases.

The cases were marked dismissed without prejudice.


Thomas Higginson was fined 10s and costs for ill-treating and abusing a horse.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


The following gentlemen have been elected mayors for 1878: --

Abercorn -- T. E. Jones.
Aberystwith -- Mr. O. Roberts.
Ashton-under-Lyne -- G. H. Mellor (C), re-elected.
Banbury -- P. Tanner (L), re-elected.
Barnsley -- Alderman J.S. Parkinson (L), third time.
Barnstaple -- C.S. Wiltshire, re-elected.
Barrow-in-Furness -- H.W. Schneider (L), re-elected.
Bath -- Alderman Murch (1), re-elected.
Batley -- Councillor H. Brooke (L).
Beaumaris -- Alderman Wynne Jones (C).
Bedford -- John Usher Taylor (L).
Beverley -- Alderman A. Crosshill (L).
Bideford -- Alderman Joyce.
Birmingham -- W. Kendrick (L).
Blackburn -- Alderman James Dickinson (C).
Bolton -- Alderman James Greenhalgh (L).
Bodmin -- E. Crabb (L).
Boston -- James Thorn (L).
Bradford -- Alderman Briggs Priestley (L).
Bridgwater -- T. Collins, (L).
Brighton -- Alderman J.J.E. Mayall (L).
Bristol -- Alderman Edwards (C).
Buckie -- T. Ridgway (C), re-elected.
Burnley -- Alderman W. Robinson (L).
Bury (Lancashire) -- Mr. Duckworth (L), re-elected.
Bury-St.-Edmund's -- John Watlingston (C), third time.
Caermarthen -- T. Thomas.
Cardiff -- Alderman Taylor (C).
Cambridge -- Alderman T.H. Naylor (C).
Canterbury -- Captain T. Lambert (C).
Carlisle -- S. Jackson Binning (L).
Carnarvon -- Councillor Pugh (L), re-elected.
Chesterfield -- Councillor Drabble (L).
Colchester -- T. May (C).
Congleton -- Decis Beadwell (C).
Conway -- Alderman Ward (L).
Darlington -- Theodore Fry (L).
Dartmouth -- Sir H. Seale (C).
Denbigh -- Alderman T. Gee (L).
Derby -- H.H. Bembrose (C).
Devonport -- T.W. Ryder (L), re-elected.
Dewsbury -- Alderman R. Greenwood (L).
Doncaster -- R.C. Bentley (C), third time.
Dorchester -- Dr. Alderdice (L).
Dover -- Alderman Court (C).
Droitwich -- John Holyoake (C).
Dudley -- W. North (L).
Durham -- E. Peel (L).
Evesham -- E.H. Garvard (C).
Exeter -- H.D. Thomas (C).
Falmouth -- T. Webber (L), third time.
Flintshire -- Mr. Muspratt (L), re-elected.
Gateshead -- J.W. Robinson (L).
Gloucestershire -- Alderman James Murrell (L).
Godalming -- Alderman Yate (C).
Gormanchester -- Alderman Freshfield (L).
Guildford -- Algernon Crooke (C).
Halifax -- Alderman St. Mogley (L).
Hanley -- Alderman Gilman (L).
Harwich -- W. Groom ? (C).
Hastings -- Alderman John Howell (L).
Haverfordwest -- W. Williams.
Hereford -- W. Stillard (C).
Hertford -- W. Warrener (C).
Honiton -- Alderman Knight (L).
Huddersfield -- Alderman Woodhead.
Hull -- H. Waller (L).
Huntingdon -- R Brown (L).
Hythe -- J.B. Mackesson (L), fifth time.
Ipswich -- C.H. Cowell (L).
Kidderminster -- J.J. Harvey (C).
Lancaster -- Abraham Seward (C).
Launceston -- Dr. D. Thompson.
Leamington -- Councillor W. Harding (C).
Leeds -- Councillor Carbutt (L).
Leicester -- Councillor C. Stretton (L).
Leominster -- S. Goode (N).
Lichfield -- Alderman John Bown (C).
Lincoln -- Councillor Cottingham (L).
Liverpool -- Arthur B. Foswood (C).
Liskeard -- S. Jenkin (L).
Llanidloes -- R. Jones (L).
Langton -- W. Cooper (L).
Luton -- J. Cumberland (C).
Lynn -- W. Thompson (L).
Macclesfield -- J.W. Waite (L).
Manchester -- Alderman Grundy (L).
Middlesborough -- Samuel Alex. Saddler (C).
Monmonth -- Joseph Coates (C).
Neath -- W.R. Bartlett
Newark -- Beecher Tidd Pratt (C).
Newbury -- Mr. Sherlock (C).
Newcastle, Staffordshire -- Alderman W. Mellard (C).
Newcastle-on-Tyne -- T. Robinson (L).
Newport, Monmouthshire -- John Moses (L).
Norwich -- J.D. Smith (C).
Newport (Isle of Wight) -- Alderman Pittis (C).
Nottingham -- Alderman Ward (L).
Oldham -- Alderman Bodden (L).
Oswestry -- John Thomas (L).
Oxford -- Alderman Cavill (C).
Pembroke -- J.A.P. Adams.
Penzance -- C. Campbell Ross (C).
Pearyn -- James Martin.
Peterborough -- Dr. W. Polcyl.
Plymouth -- Joseph Wells (C).
Poole -- A. Balston (L), re-elected.
Portsmouth -- W.D. King, re-elected.
Preston -- Councillor John Satterthwaite (L).
Reading -- Councillor James Silver (L).
Retford -- John Curtis (C).
Ripon -- Alderman Collinson (C), re-elected.
Rochdale -- Councillor James Tweedle (L).
Rotherham -- J.C. Morgan (L).
Rathein -- M. Louis (C).
Salford -- Alderman Walmesley (C), re-elected.
Salisbury -- R.M. Wilson (C).
Scarborough -- B. Smith (L).
Sheffield -- F.T. Moppin (L).
Shrewsbury -- Alderman H.L. Burton (C).
Southampton -- A.L. MacColmort (C).
South Molton -- Councillor J. Galliford (L).
South Shields -- Alderman John Brodrick Dale (L).
Stalybridge -- T. Harrison (C).
Stafford -- J. Averell (C).
Stamford -- H.T. Betts (C).
Stratford-on-Avon -- H.W. Newton (L).
Stockton -- Alderman Joseph Hardson (L).
St. Albans -- Dr. R.H. Price (L).
Sunderland -- Alderman Storey (L), re-elected.
Swansea -- Mr. Thomas (L).
Tamworth -- Norman Macfie.
Taunton -- Myers Jacobs (L).
Tenby -- Alderman Smith.
Tewkesbury -- J.T. Prosser (L).
Torrington -- James Balsdon.
Totnes -- Alderman Roe (L), re-elected.
Wakefield -- Alderman W.H. Stewart (C).
Walsall -- Alderman W. Bayless (L).
Warwick -- Dr. John Tibbetts (L).
West HartlepooI -- Alderman Groves (L).
Welshpool -- S. Davies.
Weymouth -- John Ludnier (L).
Wigan -- Alderman Walter Mayhew (C).
Winchester -- J.T. Clifton (L).
Windsor -- James Dewe (C).
Wisbeach -- C. Gane (L), re-elected.
Wolverhampton -- David Kendrick (C).
Worcester -- Francis Dingle (C).
Wrexham -- Alderman J.C. Owen (C).
Wycombe -- W. Phillips (L).
Yarmouth -- C. Diver (C).
Yeovil -- John Curtis (C).
York -- Alderman W. Varey.


Bristol -- W.H. Mills.
Canterbury -- S. Wiskin.
Lichfield -- Mr. Sherratt.
Oxford -- Mr. Jenmin.
Poole -- W. Mate.

top of page


^ top of page