Belfast Newsletter - Monday, 25 August, 1879


ATHOLE -- August 18, at Blair Castle, the Duchess of Athole, of a son.

BURNETT -- August 22, at the Parsonage, Kilteevock, Stranorlar, the wife of the Rev. A. J. Burnett, of a daughter.

DUNBAR -- August 21, at Aghcrany, Donaghmore, Co. Tyrone, the wife of John Dunbar, Esq., late 21st (Royal Scots) Fusiliers, of a daughter.

GUNN -- August 22, at 25, Wigmore Street, Cavendish Square, London, the wife of Michael Gunn, Esq., of a son.

MALSEED -- August 20, at Drumabodin, the wife of James Malseed, Esq., of a daughter.

MINNIS -- August 23, at Raffrey National School, Killyleagh, County Down, the wife of J. Minnis, of a daughter.

WEST -- August 22, at Galtrim, Bray, the wife of the Rev. H. M. West, of a son.


BULLOCK--STOREY -- August 20, at Aughrim Church, by the Rev. H. Muriel, William Bullock, Aughalane, County Fermanagh, to Lizzie, eldest daughter of Lawrence Storey, Esq., Aughrim, County Galway.

CLARKE--M'KINLEY -- August 21, at Carnone Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. George C. Love, M.A., James Clarke, Esq., Lisdivin, to Maggie, youngest daughter of Robert M'Kinlay, Esq., Sessaghmore, Castlefin.

GLENN--RANKIN -- August 21, at Convoy Church, by the Rev. John Molloy, Curate of Taughboyne, assisted by the Rev. S. M'Connell, Curate of Christ Church, Cork, Mr. William Glenn, of Magheracorn, to Miss Anne Jane Rankin, of Callencore.

JONES--CROWLY -- August 21, at St. Martin's-in-the-Fields, London, W.C., William Jones, S.I. Royal Irish Constabulary, to Mary (May), only daughter of the late Thomas Crowly, Esq., Geelong, Australia.

M'ALERY--MECREDY -- August 23, at Clifton Street Presbyterian Church, Belfast, by the Rev. Lamont Hutchinson, John M. M'Alery, to Susan Elizabeth (Lizzie), eldest daughter of the Rev. John Mecredy, of Belfast.

SIMSON--M'MULLAN -- August 22, at the Dunluce Presbyterian Church, Bushmills, by the Rev. J. G. Kirkpatrick, M. A., Hugh Simpson, Esq., Portrush, to Lizzie, daughter of William M'Mullan, Esq., Bushmills.


GIRVIN -- August 23, at Ballyhenry, John Girvin aged 81 years. His remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Carnmoney, this (Monday) afternoon, at four o'clock. Friends; will please accept this intimation. MARGARET GIRVAN.

LEEPER -- August 23, at Portrush, John Blair, youngest son of James Leeper, Wellbrook, Cookstown, aged 11 years. His remains will be removed from Hollymount House, Desertmartin, for interment Lecumpher Burying-ground, this (Monday) afternoon, at half-past one o'clock.

MURPHY -- August 24, at 27, Landscape Terrace, Belfast, John Murphy, late of Moira. His remains will be removed for interment in Kilwarlin Burying-ground, to-morrow (Tuesday) morning, at ten o'clock. Friends will please accept this Intimation.

CHRISTY -- August 24, at the residence of his sister, 36, High Street, Lurgan, Robert Christy, late of 50, Upper Townsend Street, Belfast, aged 38 years.

COCHRANE -- August 21, at her husband's residence, Castrues, Elizabeth, wife of William Cochrane, aged 80 years.

COLLINS -- August 23, at Moneymore, Margaret, wife of William Collins, and mother to Thomas Collins, Church Street, Coleraine, aged 78 years.

COMERTON -- August 24, at Pembroke Terrace, Grosvenor Road, Belfast, Margaret Jane, fourth daughter of Mr. James Comerton, aged 8 years.

DAVIDSON -- August 23, at the Castle Farm, Glenarm, Catherine, wife of Mathew Davidson.

GRIFFIN -- August 19, at 21, Herbert Place, Dublin, William Griffin, Esq., Barrister-at-Law.

MAHON -- August 22, at Tivoli Terrace South, Kingstown, Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Mahon, Royal Artillery, youngest son of the late Thomas Mahon, Esq. of Corbally, County Clare.

M'INTYRE -- August 21, at his father's residence, Carlisle Road, Londonderry, Archibald M'Intyre, aged 19 years.

O'LEARY -- August 23, at his residence, 4, Shipboy Street, Belfast, John O'Leary, of H.M.'s Customs, aged 55 years.

STANLEY -- August 22, at 117, Chord Road, Drogheda, Mr. Thomas Stanley, jun.

SMITH -- August 20, at her residence, in Ravenscourt Square, Hammersmith, W., Susannah, relict of the Sidney Smith, Esq., aged 77 years.

TALBOT -- August 19, at Upper Norwood, near London, the Hon. Richard Gilbert Talbot, of Ballinclea, County Dublin.

VAUGHAN -- August 19, at 21, Wilton Crescent, London, the Hon. George Lawrence Vaughan.



Quartermaster Thomas Mitchell, late of the 6th Inniskillings, has retired on a pension of 10s a day and the honorary rank of captain, He enlisted in the Royal Artillery in 1847, and proceeded with his battalion to the Crimea in 1854, where he took part in the affairs of Bulganak, M'Kenzie's Farm, the taking of Balaclava and Little Inkerman, and the Tchernayo; was also present at the battles of Alma, Balaclava, and Inkerman, the siege of Sebastopol, and received the Crimean Medal with four clasps, the medal for distinguished conduct in the field, Turkish Medal, Knight of the Legion of Honour, and a commission as ensign. He was for some years adjutant, and on the 9th of March was appointed quartermaster. He joined the Inniskillings as quartermaster on the 1st of April, 1865, and served with them upwards of fourteen years. Captain Mitchell embarked with the expedition sent to North America in the spring of 1861, which travelled in sleighs through New Brunswick and Lower Canada, and served with the 6th in India from the time of his appointment until the return of the regiment from Bombay in 1867, and his retirement from that corps was much regretted by Colonel Gore and the officers and men of the regiment.


STREET IMPROVEMENTS. -- The Town Council have recently effected a large number of street improvements, but perhaps none will prove more useful than the widening of the footpaths in Police Square. This square, which is nearly opposite the Town Hall, is one of the widest thoroughfares in town, and is much frequented. The former footpaths were very uneven, and it was with difficulty they were walked upon. The new paths are partly flagged, and the roadway will also undergo some improvement.


FIREWORKS IN THE WATERWORKS. -- We observe that the first display of fireworks, under the auspices of the promenade committee, will take place this evening, and that the band of the 104th Regiment will, under Herr Borges, perform, as well as the fife and drum band of the regiment. The committee, we notice, appeal for help to meet the heavy expenses that have been incurred, and it is to be hoped that their claims will be more than satisfied by the voluntary contributions of those who may visit the grounds this evening. It is understood that the expenses so far have been very heavy, and as no charge is imposed beyond the commissioners' season ticket -- which is a nominal one -- the claims are, indeed, very great upon the public. Boxes are at the gates into which donations may be dropped.


BOAT ACCIDENT. -- On Saturday evening, about dusk, a small boat, which was attached to one of the buoys off Garmoyle, its four occupants being engaged in fishing, capsized through some mismanagement of those board in shortening the moorings. Fortunately the accident was seen by a boatman named Robert Dougherty, who, with three companions, rowed to the capsized craft, and picked up the crew after some little trouble. None of the men seemed the worse for their evening bath, though, if darkness had set in, the accident might have been attended with serious results.


FUNERAL OF THE LATE MR. JOHN DUNN. -- The remains of this lamented gentleman, who died at his residence, Fitzroy Avenue, on Thursday morning, after a brief illness, at the comparatively early age of 48, were interred on Saturday in Bangor Churchyard, The deceased was for many years secretary to the Belfast Classical Harmonists' Society, and afterwards of the Philharmonic Society, and he was also secretary of the Ulster Hall Company. He was an excellent musician, and took the warmest interest in everything that tended to promote or further the cultivation of high-class music in Belfast. In his public life he gained numerous friends, and his presence at the future concerts in the Ulster Hall will be greatly missed, as it was chiefly owing to his indefatigable energy and musical taste that such entertainments proved successful. In the loss of Mr. John Dunn the musical societies in Belfast have lost a sincere friend. The funeral was strictly private.


ANNUAL INSPECTION BY THE HARBOUR COMMISSIONERS. -- On Saturday, at two o'clock, the following commissioners of this trust proceeded on their annual tour of inspection of lighthouses, pilot stations, &c.: -- Mess E. J. Harland, J.P. (chairman); Wm. Ewart, M.P.; T. S. Dixon, J.P.; George Horner, and Alexander M'Laine. These gentlemen were accompanied by the secretary of the Board (Mr. W. Thompson), Mr. Salmond, engineer, and Mr. Tate, harbour master. They first embarked on board the steam ferryboat, and proceeded up the river as far as the first locks, and on their return examined the new works in course of progress at the Queen's Bridge. They then went on board the steam-tug Lion, which, having recently undergone repairs, looked very neat and clean, and steamed down the Lough. The weather was splendid, which enabled the commissioners to proceed with their inspection with much comfort and pleasure. Having visited the lighthouses and pilot stations, they returned to the quay after an absence of about three hours.


STONETHROWING. -- Two lads named M'Elroy and Wright were arrested last evening for stonethrowing inside the military barracks, North Queen Street. It appeared that they, with several others, climbed over the wall and began to pelt a number of boys outside with stones, when Corporal M'Bride, 104th Regiment, came upon the parties, and succeeded in arresting the two already named. They were handed over to Sub-Constable James Short and taken to the Police Office. A youth named Francis Boylan was arrested as one of a stonethrowing party near the County Down terminus, last night about six o'clock. Two factions were exhibiting their hostility at this particular place by stonethrowing at each other, when the police came upon the scene and dispersed them. Boylan, however, not being able to effect his escape in time, fell into their hands, and was taken into custody. Two other arrests were made for a similar offence in North Queen Street, but the alleged offenders were, like the others, mere bays. During Saturday evening several bands paraded the streets as usual, but their progress was unmarked by any disturbance save when one was passing up Donegall Street, where it received a few stones from Talbot Street, one policeman being struck on the leg, but not seriously injured.


CHILD DESERTION. -- On Saturday, Edward Orme, Esq., R.M., and James Heron, Esq., J.P., held a magisterial investigation in the Courthouse, Downpatrick, into a charge preferred by Constable Sullivan, of Killyleagh, against a girl named Margaret Smith, alias Cooper, for deserting her infant child. At the conclusion of the evidence the prisoner acknowledged the child to be hers, and she was committed to take her trial at next Downpatrick quarter sessions. -- Correspondent.


HARVEST PROSPECTS -- COUNTY DOWN. -- The heavy showers of the past week have retarded haymaking, and hundreds of acres cut some days since are now in a most critical state. A week's bright weather would, however, work wonders in saving the hay crop. The rot is making great progress in the potato fields, and this important crop is sure to be short. Flax-pulling has commenced, and in some districts there will be a fair yield. In other places the farmers complain that the crop does not come up to their expectations,. Wheat and oats have greatly improved of late, and it is believed the yield will be up to the average of the last three years. Green crops are making great progress. -- Correspondent.


PARTY AFFRAY TN PORTADOWN. -- Early on Saturday a flute band arrived in town from Cockhill, and played through the street for some hours. On their return home the members of the band passed through what is called the "tunnel." Some of the "tunnellers" interfered with them, and in a very short time a row or party affray, on a small scale, took place, and stones were freely thrown. A number of the Royal Irish Constabulary hastened to the place, when some of them were assaulted by the rowdies, and Constable James Byrne received a blow of a stone on his head, but no injury was inflicted thereby. Three or four parties were arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct and assaulting the police. The prisoners were afterwards discharged on summonses to appear at next petty sessions and answer to the charge. At about the hour of half past eleven or twelve o'clock at night the windows of the house of a man named Coleman, residing in Mary Street, were wilfully and maliciously smashed by some persons who flung a lot of brickbats through them. Nothing further occurred to disturb the peace of the town -- Cor.


EXCURSION FROM BALLYMENA. -- On Friday morning last the employes engaged in the building yard of Mr. John Montgomery, Mill Street, Ballymena, and the workmen belonging to the Ballymena and Harryville Gaslight Company, accompanied by an immense number of the people of the town, representing all trades and callings, numbering about 700 persons, all assembled at the Harryville terminus of the Ballymena and Larne Railway, and proceeded to Larne, where they embarked on board the newly-built steamship Galgorm Castle, and the Shamrock, another vessel specially chartered from Belfast for the occasion, The excursionists, after having enjoyed a very pleasant trip round the beautiful scenery of Antrim and Down coasts, partook of luncheon, and, on the removal of the cloth, several appropriate toasts were responded to, including "The health of the owners, and prosperity to the Galgorm Castle," "Prosperity to the town and trade of Ballymena," "The town and trade of Larne," &c. The party arrived at Ballymena by the Larne Railway at about half past eight o'clock in the evening. On their arrival Mr. Thomas Agnew proposed, on the platform of the railway station, a vote of thanks to the owners of the Galgorm Castle, which the assemblage responded to by giving three hearty cheers for the Messrs. Gault & M'Mullen, after which the excursionists separated for their respective homes. -- Cor.


BELFAST POLICE COURTS -- C. D. Clifford-Lloyd, Esq., R.M.; R. L. Hamilton, Esq., J.P.; and Wm. Gregg, Esq,, J.P., presided in the Custody Court on Saturday. A man named John Conway was brought up in custody of Sub-Constable Donovan, charged with being drunk in Whitla Street that morning, and also with an assault on the constable after his arrest. Mr. Coulter prosecuted. The sub-constable stated that the prisoner was arrested on the charge of drunkenness about four o'clock that morning, and it was found that he was unable to account for the possession of a ring which he had. On the way to the Police Office he assaulted the sub-constable by kicking him. Their Worships ordered the prisoner to be fined 20s and costs for being drunk, and to be imprisoned for one month for the assault, the constable to make inquiries in the meantime with the view of ascertaining the owner of the ring. Three young women named Ellen Murray, Mary Mullan, and Harriett Doran were charged by Sub-Constable Bartholomew Magowan with stealing 5 from a man named Robt. M'Kibbin. Evidence was given, from which it appeared that M'Kibbin was taken to a house in Hanna's Lane the previous evening, and while there two of the prisoners held him, while the other relieved him of about 5 in silver, which he had in his pocket. The prisoners, who are well known characters, and have often stood in the dook, were remanded until Monday. Two boys named Edward Callwell and John Orr were brought up on the charge of stealing a number of ginger-ale bottles from the shed of the Belfast Steamship Company, Donegal! Quay. Harbour-Constable William John Legg deposed to the arrest of the prisoners, and stated that he found four of the bottles on Callwell, and one in possession of Orr. Mr. James Bradin, an official in connection with the company, identified the bottles as the company's property. There were four previous convictions against Orr, who was sent to jail for one month, and Callwell was sentenced to one week's imprisonment. The business of the Summons Court was of an uninteresting nature.


DUNDALK ATHLETIC SPORTS. -- These sports were brought to a successful conclusion on Friday evening, when the remaining events on the programme were gone through. The mile cup went to H. Barton, who takes the mile open cup, consequent on the disqualification of Crawley. The results are as follow: -- Football (Drop Kick) -- Culverwell, 1; Brabazon, 2. Five competed. Football (Place Kick) -- F. Y. Kidd, 1; E. A. Neville, 2; Culverwell, 3. Six competed. Running Long Jump -- MacArdle, 1; Duffy, 2. Five competed. 440 Yards Hurdle (open) -- E. H. MacArdle. Three ran. Mile Flat (club) -- H. D. Barton, 1; H. Rainsford, 2; J. H. Blackader, 3. Seven ran. Watson dropped away when he was apparently a good second two laps from home. Barton won very easily from Rainsford and Blackader. 50 Yards Sack Race -- J. Watson, 1; J, Brabazon, 2. Six started. The prizes were then distributed by E. K. Supple, Esq,, S.I, R.I.C.


BALLYMENA PETTY SESSIONS. -- These sessions were held on Friday last, before Captain Perry, J.P.; A. C. Montgomery, Esq., R.M.; A. C. Allen, Esq., J.P.; and John Young, Esq,, D.L., J.P. Jane Ingram appeared at the suit of William Hyndman, of Forthhill, for an alleged trespass on his property. Mr. James Caruth appeared for the complainant, and Mr. James Moore for the defence. The Bench dismissed the case. Thomas Simpson appeared at the suit of his wife, Lizzie Simpson, for breaking the windows and otherwise destroying the premises where she and her three little children resided, so as to endanger their lives. Mr. Alex. O'Rorke having briefly stated the case, Mr. Young said that this woman must have the protection of the Court from such unmanly and dangerous assaults. Captain Perry characterised the assault as most unwarrantable. The chairman said the decision of the Bench was that the defendant be sent to jail for two months without the option of a fine. Thomas M'Alister, of William Street, Ballymena, appeared at the suit of Constable Hawe for ill-treating and abusing his wife Bridget. The charge being proved, Mr. Young said that he would require to find bail for his future good conduct, and if the bail would not be forth-coming that day he would have to go to jail; the prisoner was subsequently bailed out. James Nicholl appeared on a charge of having resisted a civil bill decree. Smyth, the civil bill officer, having proved the seizure of the goods, and also the manner of resistance, the Bench ordered informations to be made out, and that Nicholl be sent forward to the next quarter sessions. A man named Sloan, of Harryville, appeared on summons of a woman named M'Shane for committing an assault by striking her, on the 16th inst., at Ballymena. After hearing the evidence, the Bench asked Constable Boyle with reference to the defendant's antecedents, and the constable's statements turned out not very favourable. The Bench considered the charge proved, and imposed the penalty of 2, or in default one month's imprisonment in Belfast jail. -- Correspondent.


^ top of page

Belfast Newsletter - Tuesday, 26 August, 1879


KINNAIRD -- August 20, at Rossie Priory, N.B., the wife of the Hon. A. F. Kinnaird, of a son.

MORTIMER -- August 20, at St. Domingo Vale, Liverpool, the wife of George H. Mortimer, of a daughter.

SPEERS -- August 24, at 10, Nicholson Terrace, Derry, the wife of W. J. Speers, Model School, of a son.


BURRIDGE--TAYLOR -- August 21, at St. Swithin's Church, London, by the Rev. Arthur Towsey assisted by the Rev. Henry Perrott, B.A., Charles Burridge, of Glasgow, to Emily Moreland, daughter of the late Nathaniel Taylor, Belmont, Stranraer. J.P. for Wigtonshire, and formerly of H.M.'s 90th Regiment.

COLLINGS--SHERIDAN -- July 16, at St. John's Cathedral, Calcutta, by the Rev. W. H. Bray, M.A., Arthur Collings, Esq., I.C.S., Burmah, to Susan Emmeline, fourth daughter of the late Rev. Ambrose Sheridan, Chaplain of Pentonville Prison, London.

DILL--ATTFIELD -- August 21, at St. Mark's Church, Dublin, by the Rev. J. Drydon Smylie, A.M., assisted by the Rev. J. S. Leftus A.B., Albert Lucius Dill, R.N., to Emily Adah, youngest daughter of the late Henry Attfield, Esq., Wimbledon, Surrey.

HEATHCOTE--YOUNG -- August 20, at All Saint's, Hursley, by the Rev. P. Young, A. Malcolm, son of the Right Hon. Sir W. Heathcote, Bart., to Mary Forbes, daughter of the Rev. G. Young, Vicar of the parish.


BALL -- August 25, at the Royal Hospital, Henry Ball, aged 23 years -- deeply regretted by a large circle of friends. The remains of my beloved friend, Henry Ball, will be removed from his late residence, 20, M'Auley Street, Belfast, for interment in the Borough Cemetery, to-morrow (Wednesday) afternoon, at three o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. WILLIAM COSTELLO.

MASONIC. Members of Lodge and Chapter 609 and other brethren who purpose attending the funeral of the late Br. Henry Ball are respectfully requested to call at 20, M'Auley Street, where mourning badges will be supplied. LEWIS RYANS, Secretary and Registrar.

HAMILTON -- August 25, at 41, Albion Street, Belfast, Matilda, wife of Thomas Hamilton. Her remains will be removed for interment in the Borough Cemetery, this (Tuesday) afternoon, at four o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation.

MEGARRY -- August 25, at Hillhead House, Ballynock, Elizabeth, the beloved wife of Wesley Megarry. Her remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Moira, to-morrow (Wednesday) morning, at eleven o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation.

WATSON -- August 24, at her son's residence, Mary, relict of the late John Watson, of Cornascrebe, near Portadown. Her remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground at Clare, tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, at eleven o'clock.

COLHOUN -- August 25, at 1, Athol Terrace, Belfast, Emily Charlotte, second daughter of the late Thos. Colhoun, aged 12 years and 10 moaths.

JAMIESON -- August 23, at his son's residence, Fountain Hill, Londonderry, John Jamieson.

KING -- August 24, at 1, Seaview, Whiteabbey, Matilda, third daughter of the late Robert King, Wilmont Terrace, Belfast.

NICHOLSON -- August 15, at Christiania, Norway, Captain George C. Nicholson.

PILKINGTON -- August 24, at his residence, 98, St. Stephen's Green South, Dublin, Henry B. Pilkington, Esq., aged 70 years.

SHEPPARD -- August 24, at her father's residence, Grave Place, Londonderry, Letitia, wife of William Sheppard, and third daughter of John Haslett.

STEWART -- August 24, at Irish Quarter South, Carrickfergus, Sarah, wife of Mr. Samuel Stewart.

WEST -- August 24, at his residence, 44, Nelson Street, Belfast, David West, aged 59 years.



The usual bi-monthly petty sessions for the district of Holywood were held in the Courthouse yesterday before Captain John Harrison, J.P.; George Murney, Esq., J.P.; Edward Orme, Esq,, R.M.; and Andrew Cowan, Esq., J.P.


Wm. Whyte, of Ballymacarrett, summoned Wm. Gunn, of Sydenham, for "that he the defendant, W. Gunn, contriving unlawfully; wickedly, and maliciously intending to injure, villify, and prejudice the complainant, Wm. Whyte, and to deprive him of his good name, fame, credit, and reputation, and to bring him into public contempt, scandal, infamy, and digrace on the 17th day of July, in the year of our Lord, 1879, unlawfully, wickedly, and maliciously did write and publish, and cause and procure to be written and published, a false scandal, maliciously and defamatory libel, in the form of a post card, directed to the said Wm. Whyte, containing divers false and scandalous and malicious and defamatory matters and things of and concerning the said Wm. Whyte, according to the tenor and effects following, that is to say: Three days has elapsed since I demanded your affidavit upon oath, and no reply. Do you justify your conduct by taking the 'not' out of the eighth commandment, and apply that commandment to your creed (the inuendo being that he, the said William Whyte was guilty of an indictable offence, to wit, theft), I can favour you with a few more samples of the conduct, and my experience at Castlereagh Street office, the inuendo being that he the said William Whyte was guilty of theft, and was dishonest in his profession of pawnbroker. A letter written on the 14th of July formed a part of the indictment, and in it the defendant asked for a detailed statement and affidavit on oath as to the materials which was stolen by the plaintiff and his associate in crime from the premises of Mr. Gunn, and stated 'that materials was stolen and received in your pawn-office as stolen goods is admitted by you, and which was afterwards partly used as fixtures for the carrying on of your business, is sufficiently plain.'"

Messrs. Coulter and Dickson appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr. Regan for the defendant.

Mr. DICKSON stated the case, and read the document containing the alleged libel, citing the authorities as to what constituted a libel. He would lay the document before their Worships, and if they were satisfied that a prima facie case was made out, he would ask them to return it for trial. The postmarks on the document were proof of publication, and be believed that when the evidence was given the Bench would agree with him that the libel was properly described in the summons as false, malicious, and defamatory.

William Whyte, the complainant, said he was a pawnbroker, and lived at Ballyholme, Bangor, and had places of business at Castlereagh Street and Newtownards Road, Belfast. The defendant was a joiner, and sometimes took jobs as a builder. In the month of March a contract was entered into with the defendant for the execution of some work in Castlereagh Street, for which he was paid, with the exception of 12s 6d, which was offered to the defendant, but refused by him. Materials were kept in an adjoining yard, the key of which was kept by witness, who refused to advance any more money to the defendant, as he believed more money was advanced than work had been done, and got the key as a security for the completion of the work. The letter (produced) was received by him at Bangor on the afternoon of the 14th of July. Witness made no reply to the letter, and on the 17th July he received the post card (produced), both being in the handwriting of Gunn. He believed that the allegations contained in the letter and post card were a libel.

Mr. ORME -- And defamatory?

Witness -- I considered them so.

Cross examined by Mr. REGAN -- The account produced was not presented to me for payment. He was to find the materials for this contract. No timber was found under my staircase. It was carried into my office to give possession of the yard to Mr. Ginn, the owner.

William John Anderson said that he had seen the defendant write, and the letter and post card were in his handwriting.

Cross-examined by Mr. REGAN -- It was I who carried away this timber. Gunn left the key with me at night, and took it away in the morning.

Mr. REGAN contended that the letters were privileged communications, and were written with the view of obtaining payment of an account for 20 11s 7½d, which had been furnished to Mr. Whyte, and which was the subject of a process now pending before the Recorder of Belfast.

Mr. COULTER said that was not the case. No account had been furnished to his client at all.

Mr. MURNEY said that Mr. Whyte had sworn that that account was never furnished.

Mr. REGAN said that this action merely was a set-off against the account, and the letter could have been kept by him and not made public at all if he had so wished.

Duncan Brown said that he went to see about some timber which was in a store belonging to Mr. Ginn, and for which Mr. Gunn paid rent. He could not find any timber in the store, but under the stairs he saw some of it concealed.

Mr. REGAN was proceeding to ask the witness about a transaction with a customer in the pawn-office, when

Captain HARRISON said that this had nothing to do with the case at all; that they would not listen to it.

Two other witnesses were produced for examination, but their evidence was unimportant.

Mr. DICKSON applied that the informations should be returned to the spring assizes.

The case was returned for trial, the defendant to find bail, himself in 20 and two sureties of 10 each.

The other cases were unimportant.



The Broad Arrow understands that the reports in circulation as to the return home of Major-General the Hon. H. H. Clifford, C.B., V.C., from Natal, are at present very premature. General Clifford, so far from being on his way to England in the troopship Euphrates, was by last accounts at Maritzburg, in command of the base of operations.

The United Service Gazette has reason to believe that Lord Chelmsford will be confirmed lieutenant-general, temporarily conferred on him on appointment to the command of the troops in South Africa. He will, of course, be supernumerary to the establishment; but following the precedent established in the case of Sir Garnet Wolseley, his commission will be confirmed from the date of his receiving temporary rank -- viz , January 30, 1879.

Major A. W. Lucas, of the 109th Regiment, now doing duty with the 67th Brigade Depot at Birr, becomes lieutenant-colonel by the retirement of Colonel Schmid on half-pay. Major Lucas joined the service on the 12th February, 1859, and became Major on the 30th July, 1872.

We learn from Canada that Lieutenant-General Sir E. Selby-Smyth, K.C.M.G., is reported to be about to vacate his appointment at the head of the Dominion Militia, and return to England,

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


ROYAL TYRONE FUSILIERS. -- Second Lieutenants R. G. Gore and H. W. Lowry have duly qualified and been approved for promotion to the rank of lieutenant.

ANTRIM ARTILLERY. -- Battery Sergeant-Major T. Swan will proceed to Woolwich on the 1st of September to go through a course of artillery exercise.



[Before C. D. CLIFFORD LLOYD, Esq., R.M.; and WM. J. JOHNSTON, Esq., J.P.]


A private in the Scots Greys named Glasgow was brought up in the custody of Sub Constable M'Gowan, charged with being a deserter.

The constable stated he understood he had been nine days absent from his regiment, and he had been in Hanna's Lane for seven or eight days.

Sergeant-Major Henry Roberts said the prisoner had been absent since last Sunday week, and would be tried for pawning a number of articles which had been produced in court a few days ago. He would also be tried for having been absent without leave.

Mr. LLOYD directed him to be handed over to an escort and conveyed to the military barracks.


John O'Hare and John O'Reilly, aged about fourteen years, were charged by Harbour-Constable Radcliffe with stone-throwing in the neighbourhood of the Queen's Quay on the previous evening.

Tho prisoners were ordered to be imprisoned for one month, in default of paying a fine of 40s and costs.

John M'Ilroy and Robert Wright, two boys, were charged by Sub-Constable Short with throwing stones at the military barracks in North Queen Street.

From the evidence it appeared that the accused, with a number of others, had climbed over the railings of the barracks, and when inside they commenced to throw stones at other boys outside, Corporal M'Bride, of the 104th Regiment, came upon the scene, and arrested the prisoners, who were handed over to the police.

The prisoners were fined 40s and costs, or, in default, a month's imprisonment.

Francis Boylan was charged by Sub Constable Hoey with having been one of a riotous and stone-throwing mob in the neighbourhood of the County Down Railway at half past six o'clock on Sunday evening.

Mr. M'Erlean defended.

The prisoner was fined 40s and costs, or one month's imprisonment.


Catherine Moore, a middle aged woman, was brought up in custody, charged by Sub Constable Armstrong with having been drunk. The prisoner was also charged with having assaulted the sub-constable,

The complainant stated that he arrested the prisoner for being drunk. After lodging her in the Police Office she injured two of his fingers. She attempted to bite him.

Head-Constable Irwin, in reply to Mr. LLOYD, said there were seventy-two convictions recorded against the prisoner, and five of them were for assaulting the police.

The prisoner was sent to jail for six months.


A young man named Michael Maguire, described an a draper, was charged by Sub-Constable M'Gowan with having obtained two umbrellas by means of fake pretences from Messrs. Hawkins, Robertson, & Co. The prisoner was also charged with having obtained six shirts by means of false pretences from Messrs. Arnott & Co., and with having obtained two umbrellas from Messrs. Thompson & Fulton, and with having obtained six sheets from the Belfast Woollen Company, and two umbrellas from Messrs. Millar, Boyd, & Held.

Mr. M'Lean, jun., prosecuted, and Mr. M'Erlean defended.

Alexander Band deposed that he was in the employment of Messrs. Hawkins, Robertson, & Ferguson. On the 22nd inst, the prisoner came into their establishment and asked to see two or three umbrellas for Mr. Jamison, North Street. He said he wonted them at 9s or 10s. Witness showed him two umbrellas -- one at 9s 6d and the other at 10s 6d -- and he took them, and told him to charge them on approbation to Mr. Jamison.

Samuel Curragh said he was in the employment of Messrs, Arnott & Co. On the 22nd the prisoner came into their establishment and asked for half a dozen of woollen shirts for Mr. Jamison. He said to charge the shirts to Mr. Jamison. Witness asked him his name, and he gave Robert Ball, and said that he was in Mr. Jamison's.

Andrew Gailey deposed that he was in the employment of Messrs. Millar, Boyd, & Reid. On the 19th inst, the prisoner obtained two umbrellas, value for 14s, out of their warehouse for Mr. Jamison, North Street.

John Caswell stated that the prisoner obtained, on the 19th inst., an umbrella from Messrs. Thomson & Fulton's establishment, as he stated it was for Mr. Maguire, North Street. He said his name was Ball and that he was in Mr. Maguire's.

Mr. John Jamison deposed that he gave the prisoner no authority to obtain any goods for him. He had a young man named Robert Ball in his establishment, but that the prisoner was not the man.

Mr. Andrew Maguire stated that he did not give the prisoner any permission to obtain goods for him. The prisoner was, about two years ago, in the employment of Maguire & Magill, of which firm witness was a member. His name was Charles Maguire.

To Mr. M'ERLEAN -- During the time he knew the prisoner he always found him honest.

Richard Blakely, in the employment of the Belfast Woollen and Cotton Company, deposed that the prisoner, on the 23rd August, obtained half a dozen woollen shirts, and he said they were for Mr. Jamison.

Dunlop Crawford, pawnbroker, Henry Street, deposed that the prisoner pawned an alpaca umbrella with him on the 9th August.

John Smith, pawnbroker, Cromac Street, stated that the prisoner pledged a woollen shirt with him for 2s.

James Fleming, pawnbroker, Cromac Street, also stated that the prisoner pawned a shirt with, him. He advanced 2s on it.

Sub-Constable M'Gowan deposed to arresting the prisoner for having half a dozen shirts in his possession, which he then suspected were stolen.

This closed the evidence, and

Mr. LLOYD sent the prisoner for trial to the Recorder's Court.

Mr. M'ERLEAN applied that he might be admitted to bail.

His Worship said he would allow the prisoner out on bail.


William Savage was charged with having violently assaulted a woman named Annie Elliot in a house in Lancaster Street the previous night.

Sub-Constable Quigley deposed to arresting the prisoner on the charge of Elliot for assaulting her and maliciously breaking her windows.

Annie Elliot stated that she lived in Lancaster Street. She and the prisoner had been living together for some time, but had been living separate since Easter. On the previous night he visited her house, and asked her out, as he wanted to speak with her. He went into the house, and he wanted to take some cannisters away, when witness interfered to prevent him. He caught her by the throat and knocked her down. He kicked her violently on the stomach two or three times. Before he left the house he smashed the windows.

A certificate was read from the surgeon of the Royal Hospital to the effect that the complainant was suffering from contusions.

His WORSHIP ordered the prisoner, against whom there were previous convictions, to go to jail for four months, with hard labour; and at the expiration of that period he is to find bail to keep the peace for six months.


A man named M'Allister was placed in the dock, charged with being disorderly in the Lagan Village on Saturday evening.

The constable stated that a Sunday school trip was coming home, and a number of police were at the place, and as the police passed he shouted, "Change feet," "Hold your heads up." He was subsequently arrested, and seven stones were found in his pocket.

The prisoner said that he had the stones in his pocket to swim his dog with. He had only been a week in town.

The prisoner was sent to jail for one month.


Margaret M'Fall was put forward, charged by Constable Clerken with having been drunk and disorderly on Saturday evening in Corporation Street. The prisoner was also charged with having assaulted a woman by kicking her.

The prisoner, who had been before the Court on previous occasions, was sent to jail for two months.


David Hamilton and Charles O'Neill, about 17 years of age, were brought up in custody of Sub Constables Rafter and Short, charged with having thrown stones at several young men in Frederick Street.

Sub-Constable Rafter stated that, on Saturday evening, he saw several young men going up Frederick Street. They had caps on them, as if they belonged to a band. He could not say to what band, as the caps were covered with glazed coverings. They complained to him that they had been beaten at Alexander Street. Witness told them to go on, and he went with them, and at the corner of Alexander Street he observed a crowd there, who attacked them. The young men were attacked in North Queen Street. He saw Hamilton throw several stones.

Sub-Inspector Townsend said he was sorry to say that Alexander Street was becoming a very troublesome place. No one of the Protestant party could go up Frederick Street without being pelted with stones. It was nearly the worst part of his district.

Sub Constable Short deposed that he saw O'Neill throw stones at the young men. He wanted the Carrick Hill party to come across and attack them. It was impossible for a respectable man to pass the corner of North Queen Street and Frederick Street without being insulted.

Mr. LLOYD said that the prisoners were no children, but full-grown boys, and such boys do a great deal of damage in this town. No one had less sympathy with these bands parading the streets than he had, but at the same time the law was not to be taken into their own hands. It was for the prisoners to leave them alone, and if they committed any breach of the law, let the authorities deal with them. But these bandsmen were walking quietly to their homes, when the prisoners and others stoned them. The prisoners must go to jail for two months.


Mr. LLOYD, during the hearing of a begging case, said that there was no money in the poor's box, and a case that had come before him on Saturday showed the necessity of having some fund at their disposal. A child had been found in an immoral house, and some time ago one of the missionary ladies managed to get her out of it. He said he would send her to an industrial school; but while inquiries were being made as to whether there was any vacancy, she would have to be supported, and there was not 6d in the poor's box that could be available for that purpose. That was a case in point where the money would be disbursed under the immediate control of the magistrates, who would be extremely obliged for any small contributions for the box.


John Taylor, a middle aged man, was charged with having stolen a certain sum of money belonging to his employers, Messrs. William Dobbin & Son, North Street.

Mr. HARPER appeared for the complainant, and Mr. SHEALS for the prisoner.

Sub Constable Brady, of the detective force, said that it had been reported at the detective department that for some time money had been taken from Mr. Dobbin's till in his establishment in North Street. Witness and Sub-Constable Kenny got the case in hands, and at first they imagined the shop might have been entered; and they concealed themselves in the establishment for two nights, but no person came. They remained inside oa third night, and in the morning, at eight o clock, the prisoner opened the door and came in. He immediately went behind the counter to the till and took some coppers out of it and put them into his pocket. He then went round the counter and collected the letters. Witness then arrested him, and, on bringing him to the Police Office, he found 2s 10½d on him. Of this money, 11d in coppers was money which had been marked by Mr. Dobbin

Mr. William Dobbin said that the prisoner had been in his employment as warehouseman, and kept the keys. In consequence of a suspicion he had he had some copper-money marked and left in the till. The coppers found on the prisoner had been marked by him. The prisoner had been thirty years in their employment, and they had always had unbounded confidence in him.

Mr. SHEALS, on behalf of the prisoner, said that he could only say that he was exceedingly sorry that he had been tempted at all to purloin any coin from an employer who had always acted towards him in the fair manner Mr. Dobbin had done. There was nothing the prisoner felt more than his base ingratitude to hid employer. He had a wife and family who all felt deeply the present position of the prisoner.

Mr. HARPER said that Mr. Dobbin had instructed him to recommend the prisoner to his Worship's favourable consideration.

Mr. LLOYD sent the prisoner to jail for one month.


Richard Thompson was charged with having assaulted his sister-in-law, Margaret Thompson. It appeared that the parties had been together during the entire evening, and subsequently the prisoner entered his brother's house, where Mrs. Thompson was, and assaulted her. She put up her arm to protect her head, and a knife which the prisoner carried in his hand struck her and penetrated the arm.

The prisoner was sent to jail for two months, and ordered to find bail to keep the peace.


Bernard Mooney was charged with having assaulted his wife.

The prisoner was remanded for a week.


[Before W. J. JOHNSTON, Esq., J.P.; ARTHUR HAMILL, Esq., J.P.; and C. D. CLIFFORD-LLOYD, Esq., R.M.]


A young man named Richard Martin was summoned by John Rush and Alice Rush for having, on the 9th inst., assaulted Alice Bush, and stolen a hat and a cape, the property of John Rush.

Mrs. Bush deposed that on the day in question she was going up High Street, when the defendant came up, pushed her about, and wanted her purse and umbrella. On her refusal, he took her cape and hat, and went away with them.

The defendant said that about eleven o'clock on the day in question, he was going up High Street, when he saw the female in company with a man. She was screaming and shouting, but he never put his finger on her or touched her.

The case was adjourned till Thursday next.


Patrick M'Gernaghan and five others were summoned by Sub-Constable Foy for having, on the 15th inst., by "negligence and misbehaviour, prevented and interrupted the free passage of persons on the public street,"

Mr. Harper, in the absence of Mr. M'Lean, jun, appeared for the complainant, and Mr. Rea and Mr. Sheals for the defendants.

Sub-Constable Foy deposed, in reply to Mr. HARPER -- About a quarter past eleven o'clock on the 15th inst. he was on duty in High Street, and observed Patrick M'Gernaghan along with James Mohan and James M'Mahon. They were standing on the footpath immediately opposite Mr, Canning's shop, and they stood there for three or four minutes. They moved away when they saw him approaching them. He did not observe them at at any other time on that particular day, but he observed them on a previous day.

Mr. REA objected, as the defendants were not being tried for any previous day, having been summoned for the 15th, and the 15th only. They had got no notice of any previous offence for any later or previous day.

Mr. HARPER said he could observe that the caw was of some importance to the general public. Some of the gentlemen who usually acted for the police knew something regarding the circumstances, and he did not wish to enter into it without knowing some of the antecedents, as it might be necessary to prove that these men with others had been in the habit of gathering in large crowds.

Mr. REA stated there was no use in making statements that could not be borne out in evidence.

Mr. HARPER -- Do you know anything more regarding those three men on the 15th August?

Witness -- Not on that day. Whilst they were standing there parties almost invariably had to go to each side in order to pass them.

Mr. HARPER -- Are you aware that those three men, with others, are in the habit of continuously blocking up the thoroughfare in this the leading street in the town?

Mr. REA objected to the question being answered, as it was illegal.

Witness (to Mr. JOHNSTON) -- On this occasion they obstructed the thoroughfare for three or four minutes, and did not repeat the obstruction on that day. I did not require them to move on, as they moved away before I got up.

Mr. HARPER- -- The view I put before the Court is this --

Mr. REA -- I object to your putting any view before the Court when you are bound to ask questions. It has already been ruled by the Court that this witness is not entitled to say anything regarding any day subsequent or previous to the 15th of August.

Mr. HARPER -- If, after hearing what I have to say, the Court rule, I will bow at once.

The witness said that numerous complaints had been made (Witness here identified the several defendants.)

Cross-examined by Mr. REA -- He had often seen processions, excursions, and band-playing parties in the streets. He had seen parties standing on the side path looking at those excursions.

Mr. REA said he was certain his Worship would not put down liberty in Belfast merely because the police wanted to accomplish by an indirect mode what they could not without getting a statute, and the only way was to administer the law as it existed.

Cross-examination continued -- He had seen crowds standing there, but he could not say for how long. He had seen the street thick with people on such occasions. He had been several times past the newsroom on a Friday.

Mr. REA -- Here's the argumentum ad hominum. Haven't you seen all the millowners and linen merchants of the surrounding counties standing for hours gossiping to each other in front of the newsroom on the narrow footpath, either at the Commercial Hotel steps or at the newsroom, and people threading their way through them, and no complaints made? From time to time there are a good number there.

Mr. JOHNSTON -- Then you don't deny the thoroughfare was obstructed?

Mr. REA said he did, and that was what he was cross-examining about. What was done at the newsroom, York Street, Bridge Street, and the corner of Donegall Place must be presumed to be legal. The police were bound by their own precedents, and they could not make a case of obstruction in this instance. The thoroughfare was not obstructed when it was occupied. (To witness) -- Did you ever summon any of those merchants and magistrates? No; because we havs never received a complaint from any inhabitant or shopkeeper. I never had occasion myself to speak to them, though I have seen them there. Don't you think if M'Gernaghan was guilty of an offence for stopping for two or three minutes, the merchants are guilty of a ten times greater offence on Friday? It is quite possible they may. That is only a weekly occurrence, but the other is daily.

Mr. JOHNSTON said they were not parallel cases. The merchants were opposite their own room, to which they subscribed, and did not interfere with the business of any place. In this case they obstructed the premises of the large ratepayers.

Mr. REA said the thoroughfare was not obstructed when a person made way for others to pass.

In reply to Mr. REA, the witness farther stated that there was a place set apart for labourers beside the Belfast Bank, on the right hand side of North Street. It was in off the footpath, and they were not allowed to stand in front of the bank. There was a seat provided for them there.

Mr. JOHNSTON -- That is the private property of the bank.

Mr. REA -- No; it is now dedicated to the public.

The witness further said on the morning in question the only negligence the men were guilty of was standing on the footpath, to the inconvenience of passengers. That was also the misbehaviour they were guilty of in his presence. They stood stationary, and people passed them on both sides. He did not know who the persons were who were inconvenienced, but they had to move to the one side. He might have seen three or four policemen standing together at the corner of the Town Hall. He never saw the firemen standing for three or four minutes at the station listening to a lecture from Mr. Reilly on swiftness and celerity. (Laughter.)

Mr. John K. Mitchell deposed that he carried on business to High Street and there was a broad footpath opposite his door.

Mr. HARPER -- Do you know a number of betting men?

Mr. REA objected to the question. If Mr. Mitchell saw anything at a quarter-past eleven on the 15th inst. he could give evidence, but he failed to see what evidence he could give, as he (Mr. Rea) was prepared to admit that the men had stood there for three or four minutes. He objected, however, to any talk about betting men and habits. If it was an offence to be a betting man, let them be tried for it, but if summoned for a certain act on the 15th, at a quarter past eleven, they were not to be tried for what they did on previous occasions.

Mr. HARPER said that, according to the cross examination, the defence was that all people had a right to stand in the Streets for a reasonable time, provided they were not guilty of negligence and misbehaviour, and did not cause obstruction, interruption, and interference to the members of the general public on the streets of the town. If he were able to prove that in High Street, the leading street of the town, where the largest shops were situate and the heaviest rates and rents paid, the people of the town and the shopkeepers were subjected to a continuous nuisance by reason of a number of people carrying on an organised system of betting; that ladies had complained of tobacco juice being squirted on their dresses; that gentlemen had complained they could not pass from one shop to another -- he would ask his Worship to hold that that case was not analagous to the case of people standing near the Belfast Bank, looking for work, to that of a few town councillors standing in the vicinity of the Town Hall, of traders standing on a Friday at the front of the Exchange. If the defendants obstructed the thoroughfare for the purpose of betting, they came within the meaning of the act of Parliament, being guilty of negligence and misbehaviour, and preventing the free passage of persona. It was with that view he had asked Mr. Mitchell to prove that whilst there on the 15th they were there for the same purpose for which they were there on previous days.

Mr. REA replied at some length, and contended that evidence could only be given touching the offence disclosed in the summons.

Mr. LLOYD said that they could not take into account what they were there for. The charge was interrupting the thoroughfare.

The constable was recalled, and repeated his evidence to Mr. Lloyd, who had not heard it previously.

The summons in the oase of M'Gernaghan was then dismissed and the others withdrawn.

Mr. Mitchell and Mr. Mathews said that they suffered seriously from these men congregating in High Street.

Mr. LLOYD said that if they liked to make an information and lay It before him, he would issue a warrant or summons these men and indict them for a nuisance.


Wm. Black, Alexander Street, was summoned by Sub Constable Slowey for assaulting several parties.

From the evidence of Slowey it appeared that on Saturday, the 16th instant, he was going up Frederick Street with a band. A large crowd collected at the corner of Alexander Street, and threw stones at the band. The police dispersed the mob. The defendant was in front, and witness saw him in the act of throwing something.

The defendant was sent to jail, for two months.


^ top of page

Belfast Newsletter - 27 August, 1879


ANDREWS -- July 10, at Satara, Bombay Presidency, the wife of Captain J. W. Andrews, 11th Regiment, of a daughter.

BENSON -- August 23, at the Rectory, Scarva, County Down, the wife of the Rev. T. M. Benson, of a daughter.

CARRUTHERS -- August 24, at Culmore, Mrs. James Carruthers, of a daughter.

GLYNN -- July 28, at Warrenville Terrace, Cape Town, the wife of Warren Glynn, Esq., of a daughter.

MACANN -- August 25, at 16, Church Street, Coleraine, the wife of H. Eccleston Macann, of a son.

O'NEILL -- August 24, at 17, Great James Street, Derry, the wife of Charles O'Neill, T.C., of a daughter.

SIMPSON -- August 23, at the Manse, Dungannon, the wife of the Rev. R. T. Simpson, A.B., of a son.

WOOD -- August 24, at Vine Villas, Albert Park, Manchester, the wife of J. R. Wood, Esq., of a son.


ACHESON--DUFF -- August 25, at the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Dromara, by the Rev. Robert Allen, Newtownards, William John Acheson, Carnew, to Susanna Duff, Gransha.

BELL--DAVISON -- August 21, at St. Mark's, Tollington Park, by the Rev. F. Roberts, M.A., John Joseph, eldest son of the late Andrew Bell, Esq., of Hope House, Amble, Northumberland, to Kate, third daughter of Captain J. Davison, of Tolling Park, N.

COLTER--VEITCH -- August 25, at Ormond Quay Presbyterian Church, Dublin, by the Rev. James Cargin, A.M., Mr. James Colter, R.I.C., to Letitia, daughter of Head-Constable D. Y, Veitch, Depot, Phoenix Park, Dublin.

FERGUSON--KENNEDY -- August 26, at Bangor Parish Church, by the Rev. Edward Maguire, M.A., assisted by the Rev. James Moore, B.A., James H. Ferguson, son of the late James B. Ferguson, Cliftonville, Belfast, to Jane, eldest daughter of the late Thomas Kennedy, Grove Green, Lisburn.

HODGSON--HOLDEN -- August 21, at St. Peter's Church, Anlaby, East Yorkshire, by the Rev. J. Foord, M.A., Vicar of Kirkella, assisted by the Rev. A. Bailey, M.A., Vicar of East Stoke, uncle of the bride, William Hodgson, eldest son of Colonel Hodgson, Beverley, to Edith Rosalie, second daughter of Thomas Holden, Esq., of Beech Lawn, Anlaby.

KELL--CONSTANTINE -- August 21, at the Parish Church, Alverstoke, by the Rev. F. G. M'Nally, brother-in-law of the bridegroom, assisted by the Rev. Canon Walpole, Rector of the parish, G. Kell, Staff-Surgeon R.N., H.M.S. Valiant, to Agnes, eldest daughter of J. R. Constantine, of the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar.

RANKIN--DUFF -- August 25, at the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Dromara, by the Rev. Robert Allen, Newtownards, James Rankin, Gransha, to Sarah Duff, Gransha.


COOPER -- August 24, at his residence, Nolan's Hall, Bridge Street, Derry, Thomas Cooper, aged 65 years.

DIXSON -- August 15, at Albion Terrace, Deal, Captain Benjamin Dixson, aged 91 years.

DUNCAN -- August 23, at Doortan's, Strabane, Mary Duncan, aged 68 years.

GOODMAN -- August 26, at 15, Leadbetter Street, Belfast, James Goodman.

GRAHAM -- August 22, at Glenhead, Glenwherry, James Graham, formerly of Ballyeaston, aged 77 years.

HAMILTON -- August 24, at Coolmore, Ballyshannon, the Rev. William Hamilton, aged 57 years.

LICHFIELD -- August 20, at 28, Hill Street, Berkeley Square, London, Louisa Catherine, Dowager Countess of Lichfield.

M'CLINTOCK -- August 25, at 60, York Road, Kingstown, Ellen, wife of Augustus M'Clintock, Esq., and youngest daughter of the late Stewart Crawford, Esq., M.D., Bath.



CUSTODY COURT -- Yesterday.

[Before C. D. Clifford Lloyd, Esq., R.M.; and Elias H. Thompson, Esq., J.P.]


Francis Hughes and David M'Neill were brought up in custody of Sub-Constable Patrick M'Ardle, charged with throwing a stone and a broken bottle at him in Hill Street the previous evening.

Mr. Coulter prosecuted.

The evidence was to the effect that the constable was passing through Hill Street when the missiles were thrown at him from where the prisoners stood. He turned round, and the prisoners ran into Donegall Street, and thence into North Street, where they were arrested.

The BENCH ordered each of the prisoners to be sent to jail for one month, and kept at hard labour.


A young man named William Robinson was brought up in custody, charged with assaulting his wife that morning.

It appeared that the prisoner was beating his wife in the house when the constable, hearing the noise, looked in and saw him striking her about the head.

The BENCH ordered him to be imprisoned for one month, and at the expiration of that period to find bail -- himself in 5, and two sureties of 2 10s each -- or, in default, be imprisoned for two months.


William M'Laughlin was charged by William J. M'Veigh with refusing to pay car hire the previous evening.

M'Veigh stated that he was employed by the prisoner and two others to drive them from Donegal! Street to Whitewell. On the road the car was stopped at a public house, and the other parties got off it for the purpose of knocking at the back door for admission. When the prisoner was asked for payment of the fare he refused, and a cushion of the car, value for 5s, was afterwards missed.

Their WORSHIPS ordered the prisoner to pay 5s car hire, 5s compensation for the cushion, and 10s costs.


Samuel Osborne was brought up in custody of Harbour-Constable Aitchison, charged with gambling at the Dufferin Dock the previous evening.

Harbour-Constable Aitchison said that about five o'clock the previous evening the prisoner and some others were gambling at the Dufferin Dock. It was a regular thing at the quay, but they could not catch them.

Mr. LLOYD -- Have you anything to say?

Prisoner -- No, sir; I never was catched in the act before. (Laughter.)

Mr. LLOYD -- That is just what the constable says. You have been imprisoned far eighteen hours already, so you will be discharged with a caution; but if you are brought up here again you will be punished.


Two men named Andrew Robinson and William Stewart were put forward, charged by Acting-Constable John Slowey, the former with being disorderly in North Street, and Stewart with interfering with the police after the arrest, by shouting at the constable to "let the prisoner go," and following him along the street,

Robinson was fined 20s and costs, and Stewart 40s and costs.


Two boys named John Moorcroft and Samuel M'Kibbin were brought up in custody of Sub-Constables Carroll and Baines, charged with stealing one pair of trousers, the property or Mr. Ellis Newton, of Victoria Street.

It appeared from the evidence that, while Mr. Newton was conducting a sale of goods the previous evening, a woman called out that his goods were being stolen, and on coming to the place where the prisoner Moorcroft was standing the trousers (produced) were concealed under his coat. M'Kibbin, who was subsequently arrested by Sub-Constable Baines, was identified by a boy named Thomas Martin as having stolen some other articles of clothing a short time previously.

Their WORSHIPS ordered Moorcroft, against whom a previous conviction for larceny was recorded, to be imprisoned for three months, and M'Kibbin for two mouths.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


[Before C. D. Clifford-Lloyd, Esq., R.M.; and E. H. Thompson, Esq., J.P.]


Margaret Boomer, of 15, Urney Street, was summoned by Mr. James Frazer, supervisor of excise, for selling intoxicating liquor without a license, on Saturday, the 5th of July.

Mr. Sheals prosecuted, and the defendant did not appear.

Service of the summons having been proved,

Joseph Marshall, excise officer, said that on the 5th of July, at about 11.25, he went to the house of the defendant, in company with another officer. They went into the kitchen, and were asked to sit down, and two glasses of whisky for which they asked were supplied and paid for.

James Frazer, supervisor, stated that the defendant had not got a license from the excise. Several complaints had been made in reference to this house.

Mr. LLOYD said that the magistrates had the power of reducing the fine of 50, which was the penalty in these cases, to one-fourth; and as this was the first offence, they would exercise this power.

Eliza Lavery, of 36, Gamble Street, was summoned for a similar offence, on 6th July.

Mr. Harper appeared for the defendant.

Joseph Marshall stated that on the morning of Sunday, the 6th July, he went to the house of the defendant, and was supplied with two glasses of whisky, for which he paid.

The BENCH imposed a mitigated penalty of 12 10s, with the recommendation of a farther reduction to 5.

Ezekiel James Harper, spirit grocer, of Apsley Street, was summoned for selling porter, without a proper license, on 14th July.

Mr. Harper appeared for the defendant.

Joseph Marshall stated that, on Monday, the 14th of July, he went to the house of the defendant, and ordered some potatoes, and also asked Mrs. Harper if she kept any porter. She replied that she did, and he ordered half a dozen bottles. She went into the kitchen and brought two bottles out, which she covered with paper and gave to him, saying she would send the remainder up to his lodgings.

In cross-examination by Mr. HARPER, the witness stated that he did not hear Mrs. Harper sending her little girl for the porter, nor did she lead him to believe that she would have to send to a neighbouring shop.

For the defence,

Catherine Gibson stated that she heard Mrs. Harper sending her little girl to Mr. Kennedy's shop for the porter, when Mr. Marshall asked for it. Two bottles, which were in the house for their own use, were given to him, and the others were brought in from Mr. Kennedy's and paid for at the same rate as he was charged.

Their WORSHIPS imposed a fine of 20, mitigated to one fourth, and a recommendation of a further reduction to 20s, on the grounds that there was no intention to make a profit on the transaction, which was, however, a breach of the law.


^ top of page