Belfast Newsletter - Tuesday, 16 October, 1900

The quality of the microfilm was poor so some guesswork is made at times.


M'CAMLEY -- October 13, at 12, Avoca Road, South Circular Road, Dublin, the wife of J.H. M'Camley, of a daughter.

PATTERSON -- October 14, at Pretoria Villas, Ward Avenue, Bangor, the wife of G.K. Patterson, of a daughter.


MA[?]K--LILLIE -- October 4, by special license, at the residence of the bride's mother, 23, Lawrence Street, Belfast, by the Rev. S.G. Kennedy, [-- -- ? -- --] the Rev. H.K. Ma[?]k, B.A., Drumbolg, to [-- -- ? -- --], only daughter of the late John Lillie, of [-- -- ? -- --].

M'KEAGUE--CONN -- In St. Nicholas' Parish Church, Ardglass, by the Rev. W. Hannah, [-- ? --], [-- ? --], fourth son of Robert M'Keague, Moville, Co. Donegal, to Margaretta Isabella [-- -- ? -- --] [-- -- ? -- --] [-- -- ? -- --] daughter of William Conn, [--?--] Sergeant, R.I.C., Ardglass.


ARMSTRONG -- October 15, at The Glebe, [-- -- ? -- --], the Rev. William Betterworth Armstrong, A.M., Incumbent of Calry, Sligo, for [-- -- ? -- --] years Incumbent of Caledon, Diocese of Armagh, and Prebend of Yagoe, and Canon of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin. Funeral will leave The Glebe, to-morrow (Wednesday), at twelve o'clock noon, and Amiens Street Terminus on Thursday morning, 18th inst., at nine o'clock, for Mount Jerome.

BEATTIE -- October 14, at Ballyalton, Newtownards, Robert Beattie. The remains of my beloved husband will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Comber Churchyard, this (Tuesday), afternoon, at three o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. ALICE BEATTIE.

BERRY -- July 10, at Lindley, Orange River Colony, South Africa (result of an accident), Corporal Henry Berry, 54th Company Ulster Imperial Yeomanry, youngest son of the late James Berry and of Susan Berry, 9, Great Victoria Street, Belfast.

JACKSON -- October 13, Robert J. Jackson, Penrith Villa, Belmont Park. Interment in City Cemetery. Funeral private.

MISKELLY -- October 14, at his residence, 17, Delhi Street, Ormeau Road, Joseph A. Miskelly. The remains of my dearly-beloved husband will be removed for interment in Drumbo Burying-ground, this day (Tuesday), at twelve o'clock noon. Friends will please accept this intimation. JANE MISKELLY.

THRONSEN -- October 14, at his late residence, 6, Atlantic Avenue, Captain Th. Thronsen. His remains will be removed from above address for interment in the City Cemetery, to-morrow (Wednesday) morning, at half-past nine o'clock.

WAKEMAN -- September 24, 1900, at Nursery Avenue, Coleraine, Francis Alice, wife of W.F. Wakeman, aged 74 years.

WAKEMAN -- October 14, 1900, at Nursery Avenue, Coleraine, William Frederick Wakeman, formerly of Blackrock, Dublin, aged 73 years. Funeral private.

In Memoriam

EDMONDSON -- In sad and loving memory of my dear wife, Annie, who departed this life 16th October, 1883, [1893?] and was interred in Balmoral Cemetery, Belfast. Deeply regretted. ROBERT EDMONDSON. 4, Victoria Street. 16th October, 1900.


Sales by Auction

Sale by Private Treaty
Ballygomartin, Belfast
Private offers will be received by the undersigned for the FARMS OF LAND owned by the late Mrs. ELIZA CARMICHAEL, in the Townlands of BALLYGOMARTIN and LIGONIEL, Belfast, containing 96 acres and 11 perches, held at the yearly rent of £64 6s. The particulars are as follows:--
[details followed]
For particulars, apply to
ROBERT MARTIN, Solicitor to the Executrix, 7, Wellington Place, Belfast.

-- -- --

Birches, Portadown
Highly important sale of
the Estate of Mr. THOMAS PALMER
ROBERT CHAPMAN, Auctioneer and Valuer, Portadown.

-- -- --

Sale this day,
Belfast Bankruptcy Court
In the matter of JOHN MOORE, of 8, South Parade, in the City of Belfast, Stationer, &c., a Bankrupt.
[details followed]
EDWARD ALLWORTHY, Official Assignee, HUME & GRAY, Auctioneer and Valuers.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SUDEN DEATH NEAR NEWRY. -- On the 13th inst. Dr. Heron, J.P., coroner for South Down, held an inquest on the body of a man named Daniel M'Gennity[?], Crobane, who died suddenly on the previous day. From the evidence it appeared that about two o'clock on the afternoon of the 12th inst. the deceased, who had reached the eighty-fifth year of his age, went out to cut some oats, and that he was subsequently found dead in the field by some of his relatives. The jury returned a verdict to the effect that death was due to failure of the action of the heart. Sergeant Coyle represented the Crown at the inquiry.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


The War Office last night issued the following casualties:--
54th (Belfast B) Company Imperial Yeomanry -- 9541 Private Edward Magee, Oakland Villas, Belfast, died at Kroonstad on 11th October.
5th Leinster Regiment -- 1881 Private J. Murphy, died at Pretoria from dysentery on 13th October.
1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers -- 6566 Private J. Fitzpatrick was accidentally run over by a train on 9th October, and has since succumbed to his injuries.
1st Leinster Regiment -- 5559 Private M. Connors was dangerously ill at Springfontein on 15th October.
Leinster Regiment -- 1319 Private W. Kerivin was dangerously ill at Bloemfontein on 13th October.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


Pharmaceutical Assistant Examination -- J. Marks passed. Two candidates were rejected.

Registered Druggist Examination -- C.L. Boyd, G.A. Elliott, A. Farquar, G.W. Kerr, D.F. Rice, W. Stewart, D.A. Taylor, and J.C. Weir passed. Three were rejected.

Pharmaceutical License Examination -- W.H. Gordon, Jane Bell, G. Enright, P. Liston, C. Newton, S. Bell, J. M'Birney passed. Eight were rejected.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

INQUEST IN THE CITY. -- Yesterday, the city coroner (Mr. E.S. Finnigan) held an inquest on the body of a young girl named Emma Stevenson, who died suddenly on 12th inst. Dr. Gault deposed that death was due to failure of the heart's action, which was caused by excessive drinking, and a verdict was returned accordingly.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

BELFAST ROYAL HOSPITAL. -- Yesterday Belle Todd, aged thirty-one, of Little Sackville Street, was admitted to this institution, suffering from a lacerated arm, caused by being caught in some machinery in Wilson Street mills. Wm. Stevenson, a youth of sixteen, was also admitted. He was suffering from a lacerated arm, caused by the bursting of a bottle at Hamilton Bottling Works, where he was employed.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


BALLYMENA. -- This monthly court was held yesterday before Messrs. P.C. Creaghe, R.M. (presiding); S.J. M'Cartney, J.P.; James Cosbie, J.P.; John Dinsmore, J.P.; and Samuel Smith, J.P. Constable Hadden summoned Jane Andrews, Robert Street, for drunkenness and disorderly conduct, and the same defendant and her husband, William John Andrews, were further charged by the same complainant with cruelly neglecting their children. The female defendant was fined in the first summons in 5s and costs, and the other cases were adjourned for three months, pending the good behaviour of Andrews and his wife. The chairman and the members of the Bench highly commended Constable Hadden for the admirable manner in which he had brought conducted the case. Thomas Gardener Patterson, a farmer, belonging to the Braid district, was charged by Constable Rowan, Broughshane, with being helplessly drunk in charge of a horse and cart. It was stated that there was an adjourned case pending against the defendant, whom the magistrates some time ago thought of sending to the inebriates' home in Ennis. Patterson, who did not appear, was ordered fourteen days imprisonment. District-Inspector Hardy charged Thomas Rogers with an alleged breach of the Licensing Act on the 30th ult., and two men, named John Bradley and George M'Neilly, were further charged with being illegally on Mr. Rogers' premises at the same time and place. The defence was that Bradley who worked about Mr. Rogers' place as a servant, frequently, came to attend the cattle on the evening in question, and asked Mrs. Rogers, in the absence of Mr. Rogers, who was at Larne, for some porter, and she gave him or told him to take three bottles of it. In the meantime M'Neilly, who lives on the opposite side of the street, and was a total abstainer, had come over, at Mrs. Rogers' request, to get some honey for a baby of his that was unwell, and when Constable Hadden came on the scene M'Neilly and Bradley had only entered the house. Bradley got excited, and ran and put the three bottles of porter in a water butt, where they were eventually discovered by the constable. Mrs. Rogers told Bradley not to run away, as there was nothing to fear, but he took no notice of her request. The chairman said the case was clearly proved, and they would fine Mr. Rogers in 20s and costs and Bradley in 5s and costs, and the case against M'Neilly would be dismissed. Head Constable Crudden stated that Wm. M'Kinney, publican, had admirably complied with the [-- -- ? -- --] of the request to have his premises put in satisfactory condition, and upon this statement, Mr. M'Kinney's certificate was signed. As regards the objection by District-Inspector Hardy against the signing of the certificate of Mr. Henry Connor, publican, Henry Street, it was stated that the premises were about to be disposed of, and on the understanding that this would be carried out the case was adjourned for a month. Samuel Gardener charged his two brothers, Richard and Francis Gardener, with assault. Defendant was fined 10s and costs each. John M'Manus, for assaulting Margaret Stewart, Robert Street, by striking her with a whip on the back, was fined in 5s and costs.

BALLYMONEY. -- The monthly court of petty sessions was held in the Courthouse yesterday, before Mr. John M'Elderry (chairman); Captain J.S. Cramsie, J.P.; Colonel E.D. Leslie, D.L.; and Messrs. Philip Creaghe, R.m., Andrew Keers[?], J.P.; Samuel Allen, J.P., LL.D.; John Boyd, J.P.; John Pinkerton, J.P.; and John J. Dempsey, J.P. General Maginis, Finvoy Lodge, summoned Robert John Cairns, of Craigs, for that the defendant, not being authorised so to do, did enter and trespass upon the lands of the complainant, in the occupation of William Wallace, Craigs, in pursuit of game, being provided with a dog and gun. Mr. James B. Hamilton (Messrs. Greer & Hamilton) appeared for the complainant, and Mr. P. Boyle (Messrs. P. & J. Boyle) for defendant. Mr. Boyle pleaded guilty on behalf of his client, and in mitigation of the penalty stated that the Excise authorities would be bringing a prosecution against the defendant for not having a license for the gun. He also mentioned that the dog in question was a terrier, and that defendant was out solely for the purpose of hunting hawks, which interfere with his fowl. A fine of 10s was imposed.

KEADY. -- The monthly court was held on the 15th inst., presided over by Mr. Bernard F[--?--]. A young man named Francis M'Keever was summoned for having on 6th inst., obstructed the public traffic. Mr. Patrick H. O'Brien, solicitor, Keady, appeared for the defence. Constables M'Gee and Wall were examined for the prosecution and after a lengthened hearing the case was dismissed. Terence Flannigan, Thomas Brennan, Jas. Renaghan, and Patrick Lenagh, all carters, were summoned for having allowed their horses to be not under proper control. Fined 1s and costs each. Mr. O'Brien, solicitor, defended.

OMAGH. -- This fortnightly court was held yesterday, before Dr. J.J. Todd (in the chair); Viscount Corry, D.L.; Messrs. J.G.R. Porter, M. Devlin, M. O'Kane, D.A. Clements, and Jas. Kirkpatrick. Edward Rice, of Annalee, had Peter M'Gunn summoned for having, on the 6th October, assaulted him, and for having threatened him with a knife. The complainant's case was to the effect that on the day in question the defendant with others trespassed on his land. When remonstrated with it was alleged that M'Gunn assaulted him and threatened to rip him open with a knife. Defendant denied that he had ever had a knife in his hand. There was a cross-case by M'Gunn against James M'Cullough and Edward Rice for assault, and several other cases arising out of the same transaction. Their Worships, after hearing the evidence, dismissed all the cases. Several persons were fined for drunkeness.

STRABANE. -- This court was held yesterday, before Mr. J.W.E. Dunsterville, R.M., and Mr. P. M'Menamin. Edward M'Daid, Raphoe, was summoned for being such a distance from his horse and cart as not to have proper control over it and in another case for not having his name and address painted on his cart. Fines of 6d and 1s, with costs, were inflicted. George Scott and John Coyle were charged with assaulting each other, and it was sought to have them bound to the peace. Mr. T.W. Risk, who appeared for the defendants, said Coyle, who was a porter on the Donegal Railway, could not appear. Mr. Dunsterville said the case against him could not be gone on with in his absence, as it was one of seeking to have him bound to the peace. It would be adjourned till next petty sessions. Evidence was given that Scott and Coyle were fighting on this day after the parliamentary election in North Tyrone. Mr. Risk pointed out that it was not a party fight, as both men belonged to the same religion and political party. Constable Kelly said that he wished to say in favour of Scott, that, except when he took drink, he was a very quiet and peaceable man. On one occasion he (the constable) was arresting a man who was resisting, and Scott gave him great assistance. Mr. Dunsterville said he was very glad to hear the constable make that statement on Scott's behalf. It showed that the constabulary always wished to be fair and prosecuted only when duty compelled them. The magistrates hoped that Scott would keep off the drink, and discharged him. The remaining cases consisted of persons charged with drunkenness, some of whom were in charge of horses and carts.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

ASSAULT BY A TRAMP AT COOKSTOWN. -- Yesterday, at Cookstown, a tramp named Stephen Boland was brought up in custody before Messrs. Stewart Devlin, J.P., and Wm. Smith, J.P., charged that, at Monrush, on 15th October, he did unlawfully assault Miss Isabella M. M'Cormick by striking her on the chest and cheek, thereby inflicting serious bodily harm. Complainant, who resides with her sister, at The Cottage, about a quarter of a mile from Cookstown, stated that when about half way into town that morning she saw the prisoner, who was walking on the side of the footpath next the hedge. She took the outside of the footpath, and when she met prisoner he struck her on the cheek with a stick he carried in his left hand, and on the chest with his right hand. Her cheek was cut, and she had to get it treated by Dr. Knight. A man named Robinson was passing in a cart, and he jumped out and caught the tramp who, however, proved too wary for him, and had it not been for assistance rendered by James Esby and another man he would probably have got away. Prisoner said he struck the lady on the breast with his right hand, but did not strike her with a stick. He did not mean to do it, but acted on an impulse as she was looking at him. He was sorry for the occurrence. The magistrates sent him to jail for two months with hard labour.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

ACCIDENT IN STEWARTSTOWN. -- Yesterday morning, when a carter named Patrick O'Neill, in the employment of Mr. R. Davison, J.P., was disloading a load of coals at the constabulary barrack he met with a serious accident. When turning the horse in the yard to empty the load the shaft of the cart struck him a heavy blow in the ribs. He was subsequently attended by Dr. Hugh Harris, of Stewartstown, who is of the opinion that several of his ribs are broken. He lies in a critical state.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


Yesterday -- Before his Honour Judge FITZGIBBON.

Messrs. T.C. Houston, registrar; Edward Allworthy, official assignee; and A.J. Weir, deputy registrar, were in attendance.

There were four arrangement matters in which the solicitors engaged were -- Messrs. David M'Gonigal, T.F. Alexander, Samuel Ross, J.B. M'Cutcheon, and Lyners & Hayes.


The bankrupt was a builder and contractor, carrying on business in Duncairn Street, and the matter was listed on two motions for the payment of the petitioner's costs and costs incurred by the trustee. Mr. M'Gonigal, representing the trustee, said that Mr. Hanna (instructed by Mr. William Alexander), who appeared for the assignee, had wired him from Lurgan stating that he was detained at the sessions, and asking that the case might be adjourned. Mr. Hanna had on a former occasion contested the matter, and it was only right that he should have an opportunity of doing so again. His Honour granted an adjournment for a week.


In this matter Mr. M'Gonigal, on behalf of T.J. Porter, applied for a certificate of conformity. A dividend of 14s 10 1/2d in the £ had been paid, and creditors had passed a resolution agreeing to the application. His Honour wanted to know why the matter had not been wound up long ago. Mr. M'Gonigal replied that a considerable portion of the estate consisted of goods in South America and other distant parts of the world, and there was great delay in realising them. His Honour granted the certificate.


The bankrupt was a baker and butcher carrying on business on the Shankill Road, and the matter was listed on a motion for a certificate of conformity. Mr. M'Gonigal, who appeared for the bankrupt, said 4s 9d had been paid in the £. and the majority of the creditors, representing £1,087, had consented to the applications. His client had given every assistance in the realisation of the estate. Mr. S. Ross said the assignee offered no objection. His Honour said he would not be justified in refusing the motion, seeing that the assignee did not oppose it, and he accordingly granted the certificate.


This matter came up on a motion by the assignees for the sale of certain goods which were alleged to be in the disposition of the bankrupt. Mr. Gonigal appeared in support of the application, which was opposed by Dr. Kerr, Barrister-at-Law (instructed by Mr. M'Ginn), on behalf of W.F. Clokey, who claimed the property under a bill of sale. Dr. Kerr mentioned that the bill was given to secure a sum of £73. The money was to be paid off at he rate of £4 per month, but no installments had been paid. After argument, the matter was adjourned for the examination of the bankrupt.


The second sitting for composition in this matter was passed. Mr. Wilson appeared for the bankrupt, and Mr. T.E. Alexander for the assignees.


In this matter Mr. M'Gonigal, representing the assignees, examined Robert M'Carroll with reference to the purchase of a public-house by him in Carrickfergus. Messrs. J. & J. M'Connell, Ltd., advanced him £254. Mr. T.E. Alexander appeared for the witness.


This matter was listed for the consideration of bids. The highest offer was that of Mr. M'Bride (£200), and the Court confirmed the sale. Mr. Rea (Messrs. Carson & M'Dowell) appeared for the assignees; Mr. E.S. Jones for Messrs. Kirker, Greer, & Co., and Mr. M'Gonigal for Mr. M'Bride.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


Yesterday, Mr. Thomas Lindsay, city coroner, attended in the Prison, Londonderry, with a jury, and held an inquest touching the death of Samuel M'Clintock, a prisoner, who was found hanged in his cell on the previous morning. The deceased has been committed for fourteen days with hard labour for drunkenness in default of paying a fine of 10s 6d and costs, and showed no symptoms of insanity or suicidal tendency. Samuel M'Coy, warder, deposed that he locked up the deceased at six o'clock on the evening before, and at seven o'clock knocked at the cell door but got no answer. Looking in through the door he saw the body suspended by the neck from one of the window bars and a rope made of the bed sheet round his neck. The body was cold and had been quite dead for some hours. James Gilman, night warder, said he had seen the deceased in bed at ten o'clock by looking through the hole in the door, and witness patrolled the corridor during the night, passing the cell every half hour, but he heard no sound or anything to attract attention. Dr. John G. Cooke, house surgeon in the City and County Infirmary, said the cause of death in witness's opinion was hanging. The jury returned a verdict of suicide while temporarily insane.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

ARREST OF A DESERTER IN BALLYMENA. -- Yesterday Thomas Busby was brought before Mr. Jas. Cosbie, J.P., charged by Sergeant Rudden with being a deserter from the Royal Engineers, at present stationed at Brompton Barracks, Chatham. It was stated that the prisoner, who, after considerable difficulty, was arrested in Harryville by Sergeant Rudden, Acting-Sergeant Masterson, and Constable Flanaghan, had deserted from his regiment six months ago. After evidence he was remanded to Belfast Jail for eight days, pending the arrival of an escort for hie removal to his regiment.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

ASSAULT IN BALLYMENA WORKHOUSE. -- Yesterday Wm. Dunlop, a well-known "Character" in Ballymena, was brought before Messrs. Samuel J. M'Cartney, J.P., and James Cosbie, J.P., charged with assaulting James Sproule, porter of the Ballymena Workhouse, on Saturday night last. Their Worships sentenced the prisoner to fourteen days' imprisonment in Belfast Jail.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


The circumstances attending the death of Mr. Thomas Hegarty, land surveyor and valuator, of Newtownstewart, whose body was found on the roadside between Victoria Bridge and Newtownstewart late on Thursday night, formed the subject of an inquiry by Mr. John Elliott, coroner for the district, and a jury, sitting in the court-house, Newtownstewart, on the evening of the 13th inst. From the evidence given it appeared that deceased was in Strabane on the 11th, where he did some business, and left on a car some time after six o'clock in the evening. He was then under the influence of drink, and had to be helped on the car. He slept part of the way between that and Victoria Bridge, the driver holding him on the car. At Victoria Bridge he insisted in getting off the car, and said he had business to do. The driver then left, when his fare would come no further with him. Deceased must have walked three miles to the place where his body was found. He was lying on the roadside; his face was cut, and some hawthorn leaves were sticking in the blood, which was congealed on the face, As the relatives of deceased thought he was the victim of foul play, an inquest was opened on the 12th, and adjourned to allow a post-mortem examination to be made by Drs. Lyle and Rankin. Besides the discovery of the body created great sensation in Newtownstewart, where he deceased was well known and much respected, but the police could find no evidence, circumstantial or direct, to give ground for suspicion. The medical gentlemen gave their opinion as the result of their examination that death was due to heart disease, no doubt accelerated by exposure. They further stated that the state of the heart was such that he might have died at any moment. The jury returned a verdict of death from heart disease, accelerated by exposure.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


At Derry petty sessions yesterday -- before Alderman Bell, Colonel Tynte, R.M.: Mr. B. Doherty, Mr. S. Sloan, and Mr. W.H. Mee, city magistrates -- Henry Gallagher, Michael Molloy, and Joseph Kelly were brought up in custody, and charged by District-Inspector M'Hugh with stealing a coat from Samuel Johnston, of Newtownstewart, on Saturday night, and trying to sell it. From the evidence of several witnesses it appeared that Johnston was in a drunken state when the prisoners took him up, and, as he had no money, they stripped him of two coats which he wore. They then put the outer coat on him, and retained the other which was the more valuable. Johnston was taken prisoner for being drunk, and complained of losing the coat. In the meantime, Detective-Sergeant M'Donagh, who was in the neighbourhood of Waterloo Street, observed two men going from one shop to another with a bundle and followed them. He heard one of them calling to the other that he would have nothing more to do with it. He arrested the two men who were Kelly and Molloy, and found the coat in their possession, which was afterwards identified by Johnston. The prisoners stated that Johnston took them into a public-house, and having no money to pay for the drink he gave them the coat to pawn. The prisoners elected to be tried by the Court. The magistrates convicted them and sent them to jail for a month, with hard labour.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

ACCIDENT TO A YOUNG WOMAN IN BALLYMENA. -- Yesterday while a young woman named Leetch was at work in the hemstitching and laundry establishment of Messrs. John Wilson & Son, Ltd., at Harryville, her right hand accidentally caught between the rollers of one of the collar machines, with the result that her arm was drawn in up to the elbow. One of her fellow employees, on hearing her shouts, and observing the position in which she was placed, rushed forward, and succeeded in stopping the machine. The injured girl was removed ton a car to the surgery of Dr. D'Evelyn, where her wounds were treated. Although the arm was badly torn, no bones were broken. She was subsequently conveyed to her home, and is progressing favourably.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --



The business in the court was conducted before Mr. Hodder, R.M.


Detective Reilly charged Robert Milligen with having stolen a. spring cart, two keys, and some weights, the property of Messrs. F. & D. Burns, on the 12th inst. Mr. Donnelly appeared for the prosecution. The prisoner said he had sold the weights for another, whom he had met, not believing them to have been stolen. A remand was granted until Friday, and in the meantime Milligen was allowed out on his own recognisances.


William Moore was charged with having entered the house of John Stevenson, 38, Bedeque Street, on Sunday morning with intent to commit a burglary. It appeared that his movements had been heard by an invalid sister of Mr. Stevenson. She raised the alarm, and found the accused in the parlour. He told her to make no noise, as he had entered the house to obtain possession of its contents. He struggled to escape, but was detained until the arrival of Sergeant Gillespie, who placed him under arrest. Before proceeding on a car to the Police Office the prisoner struck the sergeant, inflicting a wound which bled freely. A remand for a. week was granted.


Thomas Robinson and William Smith were each charged with riotous behaviour the previous evening in Fountain Street. Mr. M'Erlean represented the prisoners, who were fined 40s each and costs.


James Smith was charged with having assaulted his wife the previous evening, also on Saturday night. He was sentenced to two months' imprisonment, and an additional month in default of finding bail to be of good behaviour.


Henry Campbell and Henry Ellwood were charged with assaulting Hugh Tommond at the termination of the Distillery v. Celtic football match at Grosvenor Park on Saturday. Mr. A. M'Erlean appeared for the defence. Tommond said he had been struck and knocked down without provocation. Mr. M'Erlean said someone had cursed the Queen, and his clients' blood got roused, and they struck the man. Mr. Hodder said their conduct was cowardly and blackguardly. He would fine each of them £3, and order them, in addition, to find bail in £20 and two sureties of £10 each, or, in default, two months' imprisonment.

-- -- -- --


The magistrates in this court were -- Messrs. John Burke, Wm. Masterson, James Jenkins, and Felix O'Hagan.


David Todd, 8, Hopefield Avenue, summoned J.D. Nimick, 2, Hopefield Avenue, for threatening language on the 4th inst. There was a cross-summons by the defendant against David Todd for a similar offence. Mr. Tughan appeared for Todd, and Mr. Harper for Nimick. Evidence having been heard as to how the matter arose, both summonses were dismissed without prejudice.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


Re Dr. ROBERT STRAFFORD SMITH, late of Great Victoria Street, Belfast, Deceased.

ALL PERSONS HAVING CLAIMS ON the Estate of the above Deceased, who died 5th inst., will please send particulars thereof (in writing) to the undersigned, on or before the 18th inst.

Dated 9th October, 1900 L'ESTRANGE & BREET, Solicitors 9, Chichester Street, Belfast.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --



LONDON, MONDAY. -- Major Noble has been appointed to command the 29th Company Western Division Garrison Artillery at Londonderry. He joined the R.A. in October, 1882, and reached his present rank in a few weeks ago. Major Noble has of late been serving with the 9th Company Western Division Garrison Artillery in India. He took part in the Zhob Valley expedition of 1884, operations in Burmah in 1887, and the Sikkim expedition of 1889.

The 3rd Battalion Essex Regiment (Essex Rifles Militia), under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Neye, will leave Dublin on Friday and return to its headquarter centre at Warley, where the corps will be disembodied on Saturday. This battalion assembled at Warley on 11th December, and came to Ireland early in the spring to be stationed at Dublin.

Surgeon-Major O'Connor becomes commandant of the Militia Medical Staff Corps, which includes the Dublin Company. He succeeds Surgeon Lieutenant-Colonel Waring, who has just died in South Africa. The deceased had been commanding officer of the Militia Medical Staff Corps only a month or two, replacing Surgeon Lieutenant-Colonel Lake who also died in South Africa in the summer.

Major Campbell, King's Liverpool Regiment, at Dublin, has passed the tactical examination qualifying for promotion to the rank of lieutenant-colonel.

Colonel W.T. Dooner, late of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, has taken over temporary command of the Thames district at Chatham.

The 4th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles (Queen's Royal Antrim Rifles), stationed at Derry, will move to Belfast on the 1st November for disembodiment after a service of six months' all but ten days, the battalion having been called out on the 10th May. During embodiment the battalion has been commanded by Major J.A. Montgomery, second in command; Colonel R.D.A. Cutbill commanding, being brigadier of the Militia Brigade at Kelworth Camp.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


WIND -- N.W.


The ss Zena, Taylor, from Gorkenburg, with a general cargo; sundry consignees; D. Dorman & Co., agents.

The ss Tadorna, Mace, from Ghent, with a general cargo; consignees; James Little & Co., agents.

The ss City of Cadiz, Connor, from Hamburg, with a general cargo; sundry consignees; J.C. Pinkerton & Co., agents.


The ss Balmarine, ss Black Rock, and ss Helen Craig, from Garston; the ss Empress, ss Eveleen, and ss Riverside, from Ayr; the ss Topic, from Port Talbot; the ss Correlian, from lrvine; the ss Minnie Hinde, from Whitehaven.


The ss Rowena, Phippen, for Naples via Newport.
The ss City of Cadiz, Connor, for Swansea.
The ss Glenarm, for Leith; the ss Antrim, for Workington; the ss Minnie Hinde and ss Parkmore, for Whitehaven; the ss Brest Rock, for Partington; the ss Theory, for Liverpool; the ss Gael, for Stranraer; the ss Balniel, for Garston; the ss W.M. Barkley, for Glasgow.


At Kobe, on 26th August, the ship Lyndhurst, Beatty, from Philadelphia.
At Nacal, on 17th September, the ss Inchmaree, Purse, from New York.
At Syria, on 2nd inst,. the ss Creole Prince, Henderson, from Alexandria.
At Valparaiso, on the 11th inst., the barque Lorton, M'Murtry, from Newcastle, N.S.W.
At Boston, on 12th inst., the ss Commonwealth, M'Auley, from Liverpool.
At Liverpool, on 13th inst., the ss Devonian, Muir, from Boston.
At Dublin, on 15th inst., the ss Lord Dufferin, of Belfast, Dunn from Baltimore.
At Swansea, on 15th inst., the ss Dunmore Head, Burns, from Belfast for Galveston.


From Dalhousie, on 29th ult., the barque Havfruen, Jorgensen, for Belfast.
From Bangor, Me., on 4th inst., the ss Titanic, Dawson, for Greenock.
From Long Hope, on 15th inst., the ss Black Head, Wilson, from Riga for Belfast.
From Troon, on 14th inst., the ss Glen Head, Kennedy, for Montreal.
From Miramichi, on 12th inst., the ss Saint Giles, Brown, of and for Belfast.
From Baltimore, on 13th inst., the ss Lord Roberts, Davie, of and for Belfast.
From Cardiff, on 13th inst., the ss Lord Iveagh, of Belfast, Minister, for Montreal.


Prawle Point, on 13th inst., the ss Rossetti, Coulter, from London for Cardiff.

-- -- -- --



ADEN, Monday -- China, for Bombay, left yesterday.
BOMBAY, Monday -- PENISULAR, from London, and Clyde, from Colombo, arrived.
BOSTON, Saturday -- Hibernian, gor Glasgow, left.
BREMERHAVEN, Monday -- Friedrich der Grosse, from New York, arrived.
BRISBANE, Saturday -- Warrimoo, from Vancouver, arrived.
BUENOS AYRES, Friday -- Nile, homeward bound, left.
CAPE MAGDALEN, Saturday -- Vancouver, for Quebec and Montreal, passed.
CAPE RACE, Sunday -- Dahome, from London, for Halifax, passed.
COLOMBO, Saturday -- Umkuzi, from Calcutta for Natal, left.
COLOMBO, Monday -- Dalmatia, for London, left.
COLOMBO, Monday -- Coromandel, from Bombay, arrived yesterday. Canton, for China, left yesterday. Willehad (?), from Sydney for Bremen and Antwerp, arrived.
CORONEL, Friday -- Oropesa arrived. Sorata left. Corcovada, from Liverpool, arrived yesterday.
CUXHAVEN, Monday -- Susquehanna, from Southampton, arrived.
DEMERARA, Thursday -- Atlantis, for London, left.
DOVER, Monday -- Wittenberg, from Hamburg for Yokohama, passed.
FREMANTLE, Monday -- Himalaya, with the homeward Australian mails for London, left.
GALVESTON, Saturday -- Dictator, from Liverpool, arrived.
GLASGOW, Saturday -- Buenos Ayrean, for Montreal, left.
GRAVESEND, Monday -- Umbilo, from Natal for London, passed.
GREENOCK, Monday -- Ontarian, from Montreal, arrived.
LAS PALMAS, Monday -- Illovo, from Natal for London, and Umtali, from London for natal, arrived.
LEGHORN, Sunday -- Karamania, for Naples, left.
LIVERPOOL, Sunday -- Bavaria, for Calcutta, left.
LIVERPOOL, Sunday -- Volta, from Africa, arrived yesterday. Cevie and Campania, from New York, arrived to-day. Accra, for the West Coast of Africa; Oron, for Barbadoes; and Bohemian, for Boston, left yesterday.
LIVERPOOL, Monday -- William Cliff, from New Orleans, arrived.
LIVERPOOL, Monday -- Sobo, from Africa, and Musician, from Calcutta, arrived.
LIVERPOOL, Monday -- Tactician, from New Orleans, and Jebba, from Africa, arrived. Siberia, for Philadelphia, left.
MADERIA, Saturday -- Batanga, from Liverpool, arrived.
MALTA, Monday -- Historian, from Liverpool for Calcutta, was sighted.
MARSEILLES, Monday -- Sado Maru, from Japan for London, left.
MARSEILLES, Monday -- Djemnah, from Mauritius, arrived.
MIDDLESBOROUGH, Saturday -- Wakasa Maru, for Japan, left.
MOJI, Sunday -- Tamba Maru, for London, left.
MONTE VIDEO, October 11 -- Atlantique, from Bordeaux, arrived.
MONTRAEL, Saturday -- Roman, for Liverpool, left.
NATAL, Sunday -- Umtala, for London, left.
NEW ORLEANS, Thursday -- American, for Liverpool, left.
NEW ORLEANS, Sunday -- Louisianian, for Liverpool, left.
NEW ORLEANS, Monday -- Floridian, from Vera Cruz, arrived.
NEW YORK, Saturday -- City of Rome, for Greenock, left.
NEW YORK, Sunday -- Bonn, from Bremen; Cap Frio, from Hamburg; and Nomadic, from Liverpool, arrived.
NEW YORK, Monday -- Anchoria, from the Clyde, arrived.
NORFOLK, Sunday -- Belize, for London, left.
PHILADELPHIA, Saturday -- Waesland, for Liverpool, left.
PORT NOLLOTH, Saturday -- Ifafa, for Swansea, left.
PORT SAID, Monday -- Konig, from Hamburg for East Africa, and Oxus, from Marseilles for Mauritius, arrived.
QUEENSTOWN, Monday -- Elder, Dempster, & Co.'s (Beaver line) royal mail steamer Lake Ontario arrived here from Quebec and Montreal at 6-50 to-day, and having landed passengers and a large mail left for Liverpool -- all well.
RIO JANEIRO, October 10 -- Bresil arrived.
SIERRA LEONE, Sunday -- Benguela, for Liverpool, left.
SINGAPORE, Monday -- Inaba Maru, from London for Japan, arrived.
SINGAPORE, Monday -- Diomed, from Barry, arrived.
SOUTHAMPTON, Monday -- Barbarossa, from Bremen for Australia, arrived. Danube, for Brazil and River Plate, with mails, left.
SUEZ, Monday -- Orizaba, from Sydney for London, arrived.
SYDNEY, Saturday -- Armand Behie, from Marseilles, arrived.
ST. VINCENT, Monday -- Magdalena, from Buenos Ayres, arrived.
TABLE BAY, Sunday -- Yarrawonga, from London for Adelaide, left.
TABLE BAY, Monday -- Tintagel Castle, with mails for Natal, arrived last night. Gascon, with mails from Natal for England, left yesterday.
TENERIFFE, Monday -- Sao Paulo, from Monte Video fro Hamburg, arrived.
VIGO, Monday -- Clyde, from Southampton for Brazil, left.

-- -- -- --



A Liverpool telegram states that the steamer Pansy in changing docks on Sunday collided with the pierhead, damaging her bows.

A San Francisco cablegram states that the British ship Albyn encountered very heavy weather on August 13 in latitude 53 S., longitude 81W. She was thrown on her beam ends in a severe gale, and sustained deck damages.

The barque Canna, which grounded at Blackwall Point on Saturday last, floated on Sunday and proceeded down the Thames.

A Tamatave telegram states that the French steamer Nansen has arrived at Andevoranto with her engines broken down. She grounded, but got off after making jettison of small portion of cargo. She is damaged, but the extent of the damage has not yet been ascertained.

The Turkish steamer Abdel Kadir, from Constantinople, with coals, went ashore on Sunday at the entrance to Alexandria. Apparently her position is not dangerous. Assistance has been sent.

A Bremen telegram states that the German schooner Der Junge Prinz, from Bo[?]ness for Bremerhaven, is aground at the entrance of the river near Eversand.

The steamer Brattingsborg has docked in the Mercantile Pontoon at Cardiff with her bottom damaged.

A Memel telegram states that a capsized vessel is stranded and totally wrecked at Karkelbeck. The fate of those on board is not known. There is a possibility of recovering a portion of the cargo (half sleepers).

A Liverpool telegram states that the steamer Veritas, which was beached after collision with the steamer Devonian, was floated on Sunday and put alongside the Albert Wall by tugs.

A Nates telegram states that the steamer Beechgrove, from the Tyne for St. Nazaire, struck some rocks and has been beached at St. Nazaire.

A Wexford telegram states that the schooner L. Furlong, of Arklow, before reported, is likely to become a total wreck.

A Stornoway telegram sates that the steamer Urnedd[?], of Haagesund, from Sundswall for Stornoway, with timber, reports damage to her rails and stanchions and loss of part of her deck cargo.

The steamer Scottish Hero, at Elsinore, reports that on October 9, in 59 north, 19 east, she spoke the Swedish schooner Huldawith her foretop mast and part of lower mast carried away.

A Calmar telegram state that the Russian ship Suomi, from Abo for Spain, with wood, went ashore at Claud, but afterwards floated.

A Halifax cablegram states that the barquentine Bahama is ashore in Mulgrave Strait, Canse[?]. The schooner Francis A. Rice, from Barbadoes for Quebec, is at Halifax leaking.

The steamer Mount Lebanon, from Shields at Greenock, experienced heavy weather north of Scotland, and had four seamen injured.

The steamer Memnon, arrived at Avonmouth from Montreal, encountered a hurricane on October 4 600 miles off the Fastnet. She shipped large quantities of water, and all her cattle fittings were lost. Eighty-two head of cattle and some sheep were also lost, and one cattleman drowned.

A Dundalk telegram states that the steamer Bessie Barr, of Glasgow, grounded in Dundalk river. She is now lightening to float.

A Boston cablegram states that the British steamer St. Regulus, from Dunkirk for New York, was spoken on October 12 in 43 north, 61 west, broken down, by the British steamer Ultonia. No particulars. She wished to be reported all well.

A Sheilds telegram states that the schooner Tep when sailing into port collided with the tug Electric, acting as a lightship at a wreck. The tug has sustained damage to her side, safety valve, and funnel. The schooner apparently was uninjured.

A Gothenburg telegram states that the German schooner Marie, in ballast, is ashore and wrecked near Lysekil.

The steamer Ben Voirlich, from Sunderland for Constantinople, has put into Harwich with her machinery slightly disabled.

The ketch Sunrise, of Gloucester, for Bristol, has been towed into Penarth roads in a helpless state, and with her foremast carried away, from off Hartland Point, by the steamer Rochefort.

The Norwegian ship Malone has arrived in ballast at Sapelo leaking very seriously. She is reported to have been ashore.

A Barbadoes cablegram states that the British steamer Hostilius, from St. Vincent, broke her shaft on October 2, in 19 north, 49 west. The first officer and part of the crew came in here for assistance. A later telegram states that H.M.S. Indefatigable will proceed immediately to the assistance of the steamer Hostilius.

The British barque Orsana, from Richibueto for Liverpool loaded with 358 standards wood, has been towed into Picton, N.S., with her rudder carried away. It is feared that she will have to discharge part of her cargo.

top of page


^ top of page