Belfast Evening Telegraph - Monday, 30 April, 1888


MAGILL -- April 30, at 20 Lagan Street, the wife of Wm. Magill, of a daughter.

MIDDLETON -- April 27, at her residence, Donacloney, Lurgan, the wife of John Middleton, of a son.

M'LAUGHLIN -- April 29, at Victoria Hotel, Portglenone, the wife of John M'Laughlin, of a daughter.


GRACEY -- April 30, at 180 Cambria Street, Belfast, Emily, relict of the late Joseph Gracey, of Dromore.

DICK -- April 29, at 12 Kenmare Street, Belfast, Mrs. Sarah Dick. Her remains will be removed for interment in the Borough Cemetery on to-morrow (Tuesday) afternoon, at three o'clock, Friends will please accept this intimation.

MULDOON -- April 30, at his mother's residence, 22 Chapel Lane, Belfast, James Muldoon. The remains of the dearly beloved son of the late Francis Muldoon will be removed for interment in the Milltown Cemetery on to-morrow (Tuesday) afternoon, at two o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. PHOEBE MULDOON.

ROBB -- April 29, at 5 Galway Street, Belfast, Edward Robb.

SWEET -- April 29, at 43 Elizabeth Street, Belfast, Richard Sweet, late of Craigavad. His remains will be removed for interment in the family-burying ground, Bangor, on Wednesday, 2nd inst., at ten o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. MARY SWEET.

-- -- -- --

Wreaths, Bouquets, and Sprays of choicest flowers and most Artistic designs. Lowest prices. -- M'Duff, High Street. Telegraphic address :-- "M'DUFF, Florist, Belfast."



A shocking crime was committed in Wolverhampton this morning. A young man named Ernest Harper, 21, son of a publican, got out of bed and attacked his brother Thomas, aged 17, with a knife. A desperate struggle ensued, in the course of which the elder one stabbed his brother in the throat, inflicting a terrible wound, from which he died in a few minutes. Directly after the murderer jumped through a bedroom window and sustained such serious injuries that he now lies in hospital in a critical condition.

Harper had led a seafaring life, and and had appeared strange in his manner. He this morning rose early, obtained a carving knife, and, returning to the bedroom, cut his brother Thomas's throat, causing instant death. He then attacked his brother John, who called his father. On the latter's approach the murderer jumped from the window and fell on the spiked railings below, gouging out one eye. He is severely but not mortally injured.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


On Saturday afternoon four gentlemen hired a boat for a sail at South Queensferry, and as up to last evening they had not returned, it is feared, as there was a strong westerly gale at the time, that they had been blown out to the North Sea, if a worse fate has not befallen them.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


A Reuter's telegram, dated New York, Saturday, says -- The gunboat Yorktown and the new dynamite cruiser were launched to-day at Philadelphia. A large and distinguished company came from Washington by special train to witness the ceremony. The cruiser is to be armed with three dynamite guns, fifty-four feet in length. She was christened the Versuvius.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


At Nottingham to-day George Walsh was committed for trial, charged with unlawfully wounding Mary Ann Makin with intent. Last Saturday week a quarrel took place over the drinking of some rum. Makin and Walsh's partner had a fight in a common lodging-house, and Makin hit prisoner several times in the face. While Makin was out of the room, Walsh threatened to blind her. When she returned he delivered her a violent downward blow, bursting the left eyeball, and completely destroying the sight.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


This afternoon the splendid ne sailing ship Holkar, recently launched from the shipbuilding yard of Messrs. Harland and Wolff, for the firm of Messrs. T.J. Brocklebank, left Belfast for Liverpool.


^ top of page