Lisburn Standard - Friday, 4 October, 1918


HALLIDAY -- on Monday, 30th Sept., to Mr. and Mrs. William Halliday, 56 Tate's Avenue, Belfast -- a daughter.

Golden Wedding

WILLIS--BOOMER -- October 3, 1868, but Derriaghy Parish Church, near Lisburn, by the Rev. Henry Stewart, M.A., Rector, Samuel W. Willis, Annie, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth Boomer, all of Derriaghy. (Present address: Legmore Terrace, Portadown.)


CROTHERS -- October 2, 1918, at her residence, Hillhall, Lisburn, Emily, widow of the late Alexander Crothers. Funeral to family burying-ground, Hillhall, this (Friday) morning, at 11 o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. Inserted by her sorrowing family.

In Memoriam

HALL -- In loving memory of my dear husband, Richard John Hall, who departed this life on October 5, 1917, and was interred in Lisburn Cemetery. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Wife and Family. AGNES HALL, 2 Quay Street, Lisburn.





-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --


By R. M. Young -- 1896.

This volume of almost 300 pages is valuable on account of the large amount of original matter it contains in the form of extracts from old manuscripts, letters, state papers, etc. Monro's raid on Newry, 1643, is given, and frequent reference is made to warlike incursions and excursions in the neighbourhood of Lisnagarvey and Killultagh. Monro commanded the Scottish forces in Ireland for the King.

The 26 September, 1643, was appointed for the meeting of all the forces at Lisnagarvey. This was in preparation for the raid on Newry. The following year Lisnagarvey would appear to have been occupied by the forces of the Parliament, and Monroe was denied admittance. He marched from Belfast and made an attempt to capture the town of Lisnagarvey, but finding that garrison on its guard, he demanded a conference with Lieut.Colonel Jones, then commanding there. Being firmly refused admittance except by main force, he first blustered about his authority from England, then threatened to seize all their cattle; but at last, cooling down, his satirically wished the garrison joy of their determination and marched back to Belfast.


By Dr. Thomas Molyneux.

We went together towards Lisburn. About 2 or 3 miles from Lurgan is a village called Maherlin, were liveth the Bp. of Dromore. Here I stoped to a visit to my old tutor, Mr. Redmond, who lives with his Uncle Cuppaidge, Minister of the Place. From hence I followed 'em, and passed by Moyragh, a fine seat belonging to Sir Arthur Royden's Family, Leaving Warrenston and Hillsborough to the Right, taro' the fine Improved County of Down, which, with Ardmagh, are the finest Counties in the North, to Lisburn. Here we designed to have waited on the Bp. of Down, who lives within a small mile to the Town; but he being not at home, we spent our time in viewing the Miserable Ruines of the late fire which happened here, and not a house in the Town Escaped. If the story of the Phœnix be ever true, sure 'tis in this Town. For here you see one of the beautifullest Towns perhaps in the 3 kingdoms -- all Brick houses, slated, of one highness, all new, and almost finished, rising from the most terrible Rubish that can be Imagined. When I stood in the Church Yard, I thought I never had seen so dreadful Scene before, all around me the church burnt to the Ground, The tombstones all cracked with the fire, Vast Trees that stood round the Church Yard Burnt to Trunks. Lord Conway (to whom this town belongs) -- his House, tho' at a distance from all the rest in the Town, burnt to Ashes and all his Gardens in the same condition, with the Trees in the Church Yard. 'Tis scarcely conceivable such dismall Effects should arise from so small cause and in so short a time as they relate. Only Some Turf Ashes thrown on a Dunghill, which a brisk wind blowing towards the Town Raised and threw on the Shingles of the next house, which, being like Spunk, by a long Drought of Weather which had then happened, took fire, and the Wind continuing what it had begun, the whole Town, and half an hour, was irrevocably in Flames, insomuch that this accident happening whilst they were at Church on a Sunday morning, buy 4 the fire was extinguished, And not a house and a few of their Goods Remained on being. Its Rise is likely to be as sudden as its fall. Lord Conway has renewed all the Leases, for a year or two, Rent free; gives them as much Wood as they please to cut of his own Woods, which are near, and obliges them to build Regular, so that of the story of the Phœnix can ever be true, sure 'tis in this Town. This Town was formerly the greatest Linnen manufactory of the North before the Fire; now much removed to Lurgan and other adjacent places. However, I do not doubt but when 'tis quite rebuilt, 'twil be rather in a more thriving condition before. From hence we went on seven miles to Belfast, thro' a Countrey, all the way from Ardmagh, Extreamly pleasant, well Improved, and Inhabited by English.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


May 31st.

Some rain. I came to Lisburn. Waited on Major-General Kirk. Was with Duke Schomberg, who was very obliging. I dined with the Earl of Meath, and came to Jo Whites.

June 1st.

Much rain. I went to Magheralin. Heard Mr. Cubbidge preach. Dined at his house with the Colonel of the Brandenburgh Regiment, and was after, with Major Williams and Captain Brereton, at Mrs. Kelly's. Lord Drogheda passed by.

June 2nd.

Several showers. Some Quakers came to see me. I walked in the afternoon to Moira. Saw Sir Arthur Rawden's house, and walked with Captain Ross to the Conservatory. The house and much of the ground are well preserved.

June 3rd.

A fair day. I went to the mill. In the afternoon I went to Dromore, and was treated by Captain Brereton.

June 4th.

A fair morning. Some showers in the afternoon. I went to Lisburn, waited on M. G. Kirk, delivered him his letter, dined with Mr. Aleway, and was with the Duke. Some French horse came in.

July 9th.

A fair day. I went to Lisburn, but the Duke was gone to Belfast, thinking to meet the King, but returned. I came with Captain Powell, and stayed some time with Mr. Moore at Hillsborough, which is preparing for the Kings reception. At night there were several bonfires, believing the King had landed, but it was a false alarm. Several regiments are on their march South, General Douglas commanding.

June 12th.

Very hot. They went to Moira. Saw Jewell's regiment of horse, which is a very good one, but the Danish Regiment of Guards is the best I ever saw. They wear an orange-coloured uniform faced with crimson velvet.

June 20th.

Very great showers. I went to Hillsborough. Saw the King and drank of his wine. I was with Lord Meath and Mr. Aleway at their tent, and brought Hunter the Quaker's wife behind me home.

(Next week: Sir George Rawdon.)



On the Eve of Her Departure for France.

A very pleasant little function took place the other evening at the home of Miss Campbell, Parkmount, when Miss Isobel Campbell, late telephonist at the Lisburn Exchange, was presented, on behalf of the local telephone subscribers, with a purse of Treasury notes as token of esteem and regard, and to mark the occasion of her departure for France, whither she has gone to take up duties in the Signal Section of Queen Mary's Auxiliary Army Corps.

Mr. W. Stevenson, in a short felicitous speech, asked Miss Campbell's acceptance of the presentation, and expressed the hope that she would find the work she had volunteered for in France congenial, and that she would return safe and sound to Lisburn at the end of the war.

Mr. Jim Shanks, postmaster, Lisburn, on behalf of the postal authorities, said that Lisburn Exchange had the reputation of being the first in all Ulster -- a happy state of affairs that was due to Miss Campbell's energy, courtesy, and tact.

Mr. Thomas Malcomson, Ulster Bank manager, and Mr. George Duncan also referred to Miss Campbell's work and worth as a telephonist, and wished her all success in the work she had patriotically and voluntarily decided to take up

Miss Campbell replied in a graceful manner. She had always, she said, found the Lisburn telephone subscribers patient and long-suffering, and she could not thank them sufficiently or adequately for the very tangible token of their kindness that evening.

Miss Campbell left for France on Tuesday evening. She was accompanied by Miss Marjorie C. Shanks, daughter of Mr. James Shanks, postmaster, Lisburn, and Miss Marie Davies, Fort Cottage, Ballymacash, both of whom were telephonists at the Belfast Exchange.



A schoolgirl, Maggie Browne, Donemana, County Tyrone, was sitting by the fire at home when her clothes became ignited, and she was fatally burned.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Private H. Emerson, Inniskillings, Fivemiletown (Tyrone), has escaped, with another, from Germany, where he was a prisoner since March 21, and in a letter home says "the Germans are worse than the devil."

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

David Goldberg (24), of Liverpool, was fined £20 at Newcastle for representing himself as a person entitled to wear a discharged soldiers badge. He was stated to have worn it in self-protection, he having been rejected several times, but jeered at when following his business because he had not been in the army.



A little girl named Josephine Lavery, aged about five years, who resided with her parents at Maralin, near Moria, was so severely burned about the body and face, during the temporary absence of her mother for milk, that she succumbed to her injuries on Sunday.



-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --

The past week was the greatest for the Allies since the war began. Bulgaria has retired from the fray, and, with Allenby now in Damascus and continuing to bag Turkish prisoners by the ten thousand, it is believed that Turkey will soon follow in "Foxy Ferdy's" footsteps and lay down arms.

The heaviest fighting of the war is proceeding on the Western front, where the Allies are making sure, if slow, progress.

On the Haig front yesterday the stiffest fighting occurred north of St. Quentin, our troops, including Irish battalions, attacking on an eight-mile front, and proving successful at all points. The canal was crossed at Le Catelet, that village and Gouy being captured, and it was here the Irish troops were engaged.

In La Bassee sector Lens and Armentieres are in our hands, and other troops are pushing on in close contact with the enemy.

The French also report excellent progress -- at St. Quentin, where the railway east of the town has been reached; on Aisne, where Cormicy has been captured; and then Champagne, where Challerange was carried and three strong counter-attacks defeated.

In the Ypres zone a Franco-Belgian attack brought them to the outskirts of Booglede. They also defeated a counter-attack on the Staden side.

In Albania the Italians have begun a fresh offensive, and the enemy are scuttling backwards as swiftly as they can, abandoning Berat.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


Amongst the many letters of sympathy received by Mr. and Mrs. M'Cormack, Hillhall House, was the following from Major F. R. Thornton, R.A.M.C., which we have been given permission to publish --

I think by this time you will have received news of Major M'Cormack's death yesterday morning. A shell hit the shelter in which he and Colonel Bradley were sleeping and both were killed at once. He was buried yesterday afternoon in the cemetery close by, and the presence of all the men of this ambulance who could be spared, and detachments from the other ambulances of the division.

The General commanding the division, and many other officers were present. At the special request of his men his body was carried to the grave by the N.C.O.'s of the unit.

It is difficult for me to express to you the deep sympathy that I feel, as I realise what a terrible loss it must be to you all. We all feel it most deeply, as he was beloved by officers and men. Of his unselfishness and courage it is needless to speak, for the men would follow him anywhere, or do anything which he asked them to do.

I wonder if you have any small photographs of him, I should, myself, so much like one and the other officers are asking for it; in addition, if you could let us have a few, I know how deeply somewhat of our N.C.O.'s, and men of his section will appreciate them.

With my very deepest condolence.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


Amongst the list of officers awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry appears the name of Captain Edwin Sinton, R.F.A. This gallant officer, who has since fallen in action, was the youngest son of the late Mr. Samuel Sinton, Bersbrook, but a former manager of the Belfast Picture House. He was educated at the Ulster Provincial School. The following is an account of the special deed for which this value decoration was a tribute:

Under very heavy shelling he set a fine example of cheerful disregard of danger, and was of great assistance in evacuating light railway stock and maintaining traffic until the advance of the enemy rendered further work impossible.



This court was held yesterday before Messrs. Alan Bell, J.P., Wm. M'Ilroy, J.P.; W. J. M'Murray, J.P.; John M'Connell, J.P.; and Augustus Turtle, J.P. District-Inspector Gregory, R.I.C., and Mr. T. J. English, C.P.S., were in attendance.

Hens Cause Trouble.

Mrs. Kate Crossey, Back Lane, Lisburn, summoned Joseph and James Watson, minors, through their mother, Mrs. Annie Watson, Bridge Street, for killing a hen value 5s, her property. Michael M'Caherty, Back Lane, brought a like charge, in respect of a hen, his property. Mrs. Watson summoned Mrs. Crossey for allowing her foul to trespass on her garden. She brought a like charge against M'Caherty and in addition, summoned him for, as alleged, using threatening and abusive language towards her and her boys. In all seven summonses were issued.

Mr. Maginess appeared for Mrs. Crossey and Michael M'Caherty, and Mr. Lockhart for Mrs. Watson.

After hearing evidence at some length,

The Chairman said it was perfectly clear that Mrs. Watson, by her children had destroyed those two people's fowl. In the case of Crossey v. Watson, Mrs. Watson would be fined 2s and 6d for malicious injury to fowl, she would in addition have to pay 6s compensation and 20s costs. A like ruling would be made against her in the case brought by M'Caherty. All the other cases would be dismissed.

Flax Water Prosecution.

Andrew King, Inspector of Fisheries under the Board of Conservators for Coleraine Fishery District, summoned Robt. D. Lewis for allowing flax water to run into the river at Islandkelly.

Mr. Maginess appeared for the Fishery Board, and Mr. Nathaniel Tughan, Belfast, for defendant.

Constable Kelly having proved the case,

The Chairman said, that if Lewis had taken proper precautions the flax water would not have got into the river. Evidently he had done something, and the magistrate did not think the case was a very serious one. Lewis would be fined 1s and 10s costs.

Cycling on the Footpath.

Robert Quinn and David Willis were each fined 2s 6d and costs for cycling on the footpath near Lisburn. Constable Newman brought both charges.

Maintainence Case.

Margaret Downey, [-?-] Street, sought maintainence of her husband, Robert Downey, a tinsmith.

Mr. Maginess appeared for Mrs. Downey and Mr. Allen for the husband.

Mrs. Downey said her husband had not lived return for the past seven years, and had not contributed anything to her support during that time. She did not want him to come back as she couldn't live with him.

Mr. Allen said the parties had not lived with each other for the past twelve years. Downey contributed 7s 6d every week towards the support of his wife. He (Mr. Allen) knew that was a fact. Downey was willing to continue that payment.

Eventually by consent, Downey agreed to contribute 10s a week towards his wife's support, and their Worships made the necessary order.

Milk Prosecutions.

Sergeant Rourke, ex-officio Inspector of food and drugs, summoned Hugh M'Cord, Old Warren, for, on 26th August, selling to complainant's prejudice new milk which was not of the nature, quality and substance demanded.

Complainant produced the analyist's report, which stated that the sample contained in 9.8 per cent. of added water. There was only 7.66 of solids-not-fat, whereas genuine new milk should contain at least 8.5 per cent. of solids not fat.

Mr. Joseph Allen, solicitor, for the defendant, said his client had been selling milk for the last 30 years, and this was the first time there had been any complaint. The only explanation that could be offered was that one of the cows was a light milker, which is probably the cause of the deficiency in fat.

Defendant was fined 10s and 12s 6d costs.

Richard Maze, Antrim Street, was similarly prosecuted.

The sample contained, according to the analyist's examination, 2.9 per cent. of added water, and in addition it was deficient of 20 per cent. of its fat.

Defendant said the milk was supplied as it came from the cows. He had been selling milk for the past eight or nine years.

A fine of 10s and 12s 6d was imposed.

James Thompson was also summoned, the complaint being that the sample was deficient of 11.6 per cent. of its fat,. It contained only 2.65 per cent. of fat, whereas new milk should contain at least 3.0 per cent.

Mr. Maginess asked for a dismissal on the ground that the only witness who could give evidence for the defence had since died.

The Chairman said the magistrates would accept the plea, but would inflict a penalty of 1s and 12s 6d costs.

Insurance Prosecution.

John Edwards Allfort, Inspector of the Ministry of Labour, Lord Edward St., Dublin, prosecuted the Island Spinning Company, Ltd., for, as alleged, failing to pay contributions of tenpence each in respect of several work men in the employment for the two consecutive weeks ending 22nd June, 1918, at the rate of fivepence per week, contrary to the Acts and to the Statutory Regulations thereunder.

Mr. J. N. Moorhead, solicitor, appeared for the complainant; and Mr. W. G. Maginess, solicitor, for the defendant company.

Mr. Moorhead, in his opening statement said that in all, ten men were involved in the prosecution, and he thought that the offence arose out of a misconception on the part of the defendants. There were 2,100 offences, but he (Mr. Moorhead) have been modest and only bringing ten. The section of the Act under which the prosecution was brought required that the cards should be stamped at the time of or before payment of the wages, which differed from the system operating in the case of Health Insurance, where the card could be stamped by the employer at the end of six months; but in the case of unemployment the system was not the same, it being necessary to obtain permission from the Ministry of Labour, or deposit a sum equal to the payments in advance. There was no such thing whatever as deferred payments. Proceeding, he said there were 25 men involved, and had he issued summonses for each offence there would have been something like 2,000 of them. As he had said, he believed the thing was done through ignorance or misconception of the law.

Mr. Maginess, for the defence, said his clients were under the impression that was only necessary to stamp the cards any time within the year. When the inspector called in July a controversy occurred between him and Mr. Clarke in regard to a man named Patterson, who was employed as a labourer, and for whom the company had not taken out a card. Continuing, Mr. Maginess pointed out that there were something like 2,394 decisions by the referee within the past five years and he asked how any business could be carried on in conformity with these if the employers did not get the intimations of them.

Mr. Moorhead remarked that if there had been only one case of a doubtful man there would have been no prosecution. Under the notice they could only recover £10 7s 11d, but the total arrears amounted to £43 7s 5d, which could only be recovered by civil bill unless the defendants agreed to pay.

Mr. Maginess agreed to undertake that the arrears would be paid.

The Chairman said that apparently there was a misunderstanding on the part of the defendants. The magistrates imposed a fine of 2s 6d and 10s costs in each of the summonses, and made an order for the payments of the contributions.

G.N.R. Prosecution.

John Meehan, Causeway End, was prosecuted by the Great Northern Railway Company for trespassing on their line at Lisburn on 7th September last.

Mr. Wellington Young, solicitor, appeared for the complainants, and Mr. W. G. Maginess, solicitor for the defence.

It appeared from the statement of Mr. Young and the evidence of the officials that it had been the practice of some workmen returning from Aldergrove, when the train arrived at Lisburn, to go to their homes by way of the line at the west end of the station, instead of proceeding out by the footbridge, and no attention was paid to the notice against trespassing, and it was to put a stop to the practice that the present case was brought. On the date in question defendant was proceeding towards the Antrim Street Bridge. At the time the Portrush slip carriage was being shunted. Whistles were blown to warn defendant, who turned back, and was within three yards of the train when it was pulled up.

Mr. Maginess, who admitted the offence, pleaded that the defendant had an engagement in Belfast, and was in a hurry to get home to change his clothes.

The Chairman said it was a clear case of trespass, and the defendant had caused a great deal of trouble. He would be fined 20s and 20s costs.



-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --

Battle Honours:-- India, Egypt, Cape of Good Hope, 1806; Talavera, Bourbon, Busaco, Fuetes d'Onor, Dindad, Rodrigo, Badajoz, Salamanca, Vittoria, Nivelle, Orthes, Toulouse, Peninsula, Central India, South Africa, 1899-1902.

You may talk about your Horse Guards, Scots Greys, and a',
Your gallant Ninety-Second and your famous Forty-Twa,
But of all them great heroes under the Kings command,
The South Down Militia is the terror of the land.

The unity of Ireland is symbolised in the Royal Irish Rifles, for it was created by joining together the 83rd (County Dublin) and 86th (County Down,) Regiment of foot. Both were raised in 1793, and, as the battle honours show, have seen fighting nearly everywhere that fighting was to be had.

The Rifles went into action at Mons, their job being to hold back the German advance and cover the retirement of their Brigade against helpless odds. Six weeks later and they had the same job to do at Neuve Chapelle, and the boys from Shankill and the Falls give the Huns a taste of what street fighting is like. But if they had to give up Neuve Capelle then, they helped to win it back in the following March, and inside a couple of hours rushed the Prussian line of trenches which had been built up during the winter. In May they bore the brunt of the fighting at Richebourg, where, fiercely attacked on all sides and mowed down, they fought for 36 hours and then retired with a steadiness which ventured on bravado, with occasional halts to pick up their wounded. Again at Loos in the following September they were in the thick of it.

At Gallipoli they served with the 10th division, their most famous exploit being the storming of Sari Bair, a feat outstripping even Talavera "So desperate battle cannot be described," wrote Sir Ian Hamilton. They held the height for twenty-four hours, and when their weakened numbers made the General order them to withdraw, no sooner had they reached the bottom than the headed a forlorn hope uphill again.

On July 1st at the Somme the Rifles were well and truly represented, no less than nine battalions sharing the glory of the Ulster Division when they penetrated all alone for two miles into the German line, capturing the great Schwaben Redoubt, must withdrew in military order, holding fast to all that could be retained. The regular battalions further south in front of La Boiselle and Ovillers were in action also the first week of the Battle of the Somme and equally well upheld the regiment's honour. Then in September they shared in the Irish Division's triumph at Ginchy, leading the way in the first advance, as their predecessors did but at Badajoz in 1812. 1917 added three more names to their battle honours -- Messines, Ypres, and Moeuvres -- worthy to rank with immortal Thiepval. Then came March 21st, 1918, when the two divisions from Ireland met the full blast of the German cyclone. The Rifles did all that can become a man. They preferred to go under rather than go back, trusting to their countrymen to keep the Regiment still alive though they were gone.

Men of Antrim and Down, of the Shankill and the Falls, was their trust in you misplaced? If not, then if you are a fit man between 18 and 40, rally to the old regiment at the nearest Recruiting Council's Office!



^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 11 October, 1918


FINLAY--BURROWS -- Oct. 9th, 1918, at the Presbyterian Church, Moira, by the Rev. J. J. C. Breakey, B.A., Alexander, son of the late John Finlay, the Annie, eldest daughter of Robert Burrows, both of Lisburn.

M'DONALD--MOORHEAD -- 9th October, 1918, at Loughaghry Church, by Rev. J. N. Moorhead (father of the bride,) assisted by the Rev. J. M'Cracken (Rector) and Rev. Samuel Murray, Cargycreevy, Thomas Hugh M'Donald, Loughaghry, to Madeline Moorhead, Blackridge.

Roll of Honour

BOOMER -- Oct. 1, killed in action, Captain Walter Charter Boomer, M.C., Royal Irish Rifles, only son of Mr. Richard W. Boomer, Knockmore House, Lisburn.

GRAHAM -- Aug. 30, killed in action, J. Lawson Graham, Lieutenant Royal Irish Rifles, and son of Samuel J. Graham, Maplevale, Boardmills.


TULLYNACROSS PURPLE STAR L.O.L. 170. BURKE -- The Officers and Members of above Lodge regret the death of their esteemed brother, Corporal Percy Burke, R.I.R., and extend their deepest sympathy to his sorrowing father and mother, sisters and brothers. THOMAS ROBINSON, W.M.; WILLIAM STEWART, Sec.





-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --


By R. M. Young -- 1898.


By W. Pinkerton, F.S.A.

Sir George Rawdon was the only son of Francis Rawdon, and was born at Rawdon, near Leeds. Early in life he became secretary to Edward Lord Conway, principal Secretary of State, and by him he was employed as an agent on his Irish estates. In 1639 he was member of Parliament for the town of Belfast, and in November, 1641; being major of Lord Conway's regiment of horse, he successfully defended the town of Lisnegarvey, or Lisburn, against Phelim O'Neill and 8,000 Irish rebels. After serving with distinction during the war of the Rebellion, when Ireland was completely subdued by the Parliament, he took office under it as one of the Commissioners of Revenue of Ulster, and in that capacity he was exceedingly useful in reducing, as far as he could, the Parliamentary Composition imposed upon Lord Conway's estate.

A great number of very interesting letters of his to Lord Conway are in the Record Office. After Cromwell died he prudently turned towards the rising sun of the Restoration, and in 1660 he was appointed one of the Commissioners for executing His Majesty's Declaration for the Settlement of Ireland. In 1665 he was created a baronet of England, under the title of Moira, in the County of Down. Not a syllable of his service to the usurpers is hinted in the accurate peerage book of Lodge, but it says that "as he had the strongest disposition to be as useful as possible to his country, so he had an ample fortune which enabled him to show it, whereby he gained the greatest respect and esteem."

He does not seem to have been so lucky under the Protectorate as his brother Commissioner, Colonel Hill; though he performed his duty well and ably, he does not appear to have received any more than the mere salary of his office. But at the Restoration he received many grants under the different Acts of Settlement, in the counties of Down, Dublin, Louth, and Meath; and for the sum of £200 he was allowed to pass patent of 2,078 acres in the barony of Upper Iveagh, in the County of Down. It is thus set forth in the patent of date 1681: "King James I., out of his great desire and care to plant the province of Ulster, was graciously pleased, in the eighth year of his reign, to grant letters patent, under the great seal of Ireland, for the passing of all the lands lying within the country, then commonly known by the name of Iveagh, and for the dividing, settling, and planting thereof, to several freeholders of the Irish nation, in hopes the said lands might thereby be manured, and better inhabited; and did, among other grants, pass by letters patent, bearing date the same year, fourteen sessioughs, or half towns, within the territory of Moira, in the country of Iveagh, to Murtagh Mac-Terlagh O'Lavery of Moira; but notwithstanding that he and his grandson, Hugh O'Lavery, enjoyed the same, yet neither of them made any considerable plantation thereupon; and in 1639, Hugh conveyed a great part thereof to several persons, and in 1641 forfeited the rest by rebellion, which, by the commissioners of claims for satisfaction of arrears to pay to officers and soldiers, were sold (as above) to Sir George Rawdon; being a person that had performed very loyal and acceptable services to the crown, and had bestowed much costs and pains to improve and plant the said lands, had built a market town thereupon at Moira, which was inhabited with conformable Protestants, and having been decreed to, and purchased many other lands, they were erected, at his suit, into the manor of Moira, where he had obtained a licence, in 1669, to hold a Thursday market, and four yearly fairs on the Thursdays in Easter week, after 24th of June, after the 1st of August, and after the 29th of September. -- And whereas he has purchased divers towns and lands in the territory of Kinelearty, within the said county, and for that some of these lands were mountainous, and others much encumbered with rocks, underwoods, and begs, whereby the Irish in the rebellion, and thieves and tories, did in former times frequently harbour there; and that of late, those lands, by his care and cost, were become well inhabited and planted, he having built two mills there, put the parish church in repair, erected a considerable town, and in the middle thereof had set out a large market place, which was paved, and made fit for market and fairs to be held there, and which new-built town was situate in the very centre of the county; the king therefore created the premises into the manor of Kinelearty, with a demesne of one thousand acres -- liberty to empark the like quantity; to keep courts, appoint seneschals, hold a Thursday market, and two fairs at the town of Ballinahinch on first February and twenty-ninth of June, to continue three days each, and many other privileges."

He died in the eightieth year of his age, in August, 1684, and was buried with great magnificence at Lisburn. Sir John Rawdon, the fourth baronet, and great grandson of Sir George, was in 1750 advanced to the peerage by the style and title of Baron Rawdon of Moira; and he was further advanced to the dignity of Earl of Moira in 1762.

In the print room of the British Museum is a small engraving of Sir George Rawdon, with the following inscription:-- "The true and lively pourtraiture of that valiant man and worthy patriot and captaine, Sir George Rawdon, knight and barronet."

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


George Rawdon, writing to Lord Conway from Dublin, 12 May, 1666:--

"Another sad fate is befallen in the North. I believe the one half of the cattle in Antrim and Down are dead of the murrain; corn double the price it was a month past, and no milk."

The same, 18 of May. All in the way of beggary. Murrain; no trade, etc.

He writes-- "I had letters today from my wife, who is well, with all the children. The great race at Lambeg for the plate was run the last week by the Earl of Donegall's Barb, Will Hall's Blink, and Major Richardson's Wingfield, who came first and the Barb next and Blink last; the Lo. Massareene was there, but did not put in his horse Tangier."

The same, 1 June, Lisburn.

"I gave your Lordship notice in my last of the great mutiny, or rather rebellion of the garrison at Carrickfergus, which my Lord Lieutenant apprehended to be of such dangerous example that he on the sudden took a resolution to come himself in person to reduce the mutineers, and shipped away 400 of the Royal Regiment with the Earl of Arran and Sir Wm. Flower, which had so quick a passage by sea that they were at Carrickfergus before his Grace reached Hillsborough by land. He came the first night to Dundalk, and on Sunday evening last to Hillsborough, being his second day. As we were ready for church, Will Hill, who rode all night, came to me and told me the news; so I made what preparation I could in 3 hours' time, and met his Grace at Dromore with full 200 horse of our neighbours, which were many of them well mounted, and being orderly drawn up made a great show, and were very much spoken of by the company, and his Grace has since often mentioned them, and asked me if they were Killulta men."

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


(From Benn's History of Belfast.)

Writing from Belfast 15 March, 1772, Major Murray says:--

I likeways received a tetter from the Bishop of Down and Connor and the Magistrates of Lisburn, requesting that a party should be sent there immediate for the preservation of that town, as they expected the Hearts of Steel this night. I sent all the men of our regiment that I could, so that only one company of the 53rd remains in this town.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Origin and Characteristics of the People in the Counties of Down and Antrim is the title of a pamplet of some twelve pages by A. Hume, LL.D., 1874. An extract from the Ulster Journal of Archæology which appeared in article 89 is by the same author, and covered much the same ground.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Henry Bell, The Grove Cottage, Lambeg, published in 1653 a little volume of thirty pages on Ram's Island and vicinity. It contains a few poems and notes, and the music of the old Irish air "Bonny Portmore."

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Pilson's History of Belfast and Annals of the County Antrim, 1846, embraces numerous references to Lisburn and vicinity.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

The Book of Antrim, by G. H. Bassett, 1888, runs to over 400 pages, and is a Manual and Directory for Merchants, Professional Men, Farmers, and Sportsmen. Thirty-six pages are devoted to Lisburn, including a directory of the inhabitants, an historical sketch, and an account of the foundation and history of Wm. Barbour & Sons, Robert Stewart & Sons, Island Spinning Co., and J. N. Richardson, Sons & Owden.

(Next week: Lewis's Topographical Dictionary.)



-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --

The news from the different battle fronts continues to be excellent. Good as it is, though, still bigger Allied successes are confidently anticipated if the weather keeps anything like favourable at all during the next week or two.

Our troops are still sweeping forward on the whole battle front in the West. East of St. Quentin they are approaching the large wood east of Bohain and have entered Vaux-Audigny. Further to the north they have reached the Selle river from St. Souplet to the neighbourhood of Solesmes, and have captured Le Cateau. This represents at several points an advance of over six miles since Wednesday. South-east of Lens our men have taken Rouvroy.

The French continue the pursuit of the enemy to the east of St. Quentin, and yesterday made an advance of 3¾ miles at certain points. The Germans were forced to fall back beyond the Oise Canal. Crossing the Aisne east of Oeuilly, our Allies drove back the enemy to the north. In Champagne the enemy are retreating in the direction of the Aisne.

General Allenby announces that the prisoners taken by his forces alone now exceed 75,000.

The American communique announces that the enemy has been driven from the Forest of the Argonne.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


Heavy Death-roll.

The latest German atrocity is the torpedoing of Irish mail boat, the Leinster, which left Kingston yesterday morning, The Leinster had on board 687 souls, including the crew, and it appears that there are only 200 survivors.

From our inquiries -- and we sincerely trust we are correct -- we believe that there was no one from Lisburn or immediate vicinity on board.

Heartrending scenes were witnessed, and some of the survivors were on rafts for a considerable time before being picked up.

A bride and bridegroom who were married the previous day in Dublin had intended to spend their honeymoon in England. When they reached the boat only the bride and her luggage were taken on board, the bridegroom being left behind. The bride is believed to be amongst those drowned.

One hundred and forty-three dead bodies were brought into Kingston. Among the survivors landed were three infants. The complete death-roll in being awaited with great anxiety.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


Captain Walter C. Boomer, M.C. Captain Walter C. Boomer, M.C.

Captain Walter C. Boomer, M.C., Royal Irish Rifles, killed in action on the 29th September, was the only son of Mr. Richard W. Boomer and Mrs. Boomer, Knockmore, Lisburn. Before the war he took a keen and active interest in the Ulster Volunteer Force, and was a company officer of the 1st Lisburn Battalion South Antrim Regiment of that body, from which the 11th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles (South Antrim Volunteers) was almost entirely recruited. Captain Boomer joined the South Antrim's as a private shortly after the formation of the battalion, and was promoted to commissioned rank on the 2nd July, 1915. He went to the front with the Ulster Division in October of that year, since when he has seen much fighting and was wounded three times. He was awarded the Military Cross last autumn for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of his company. When the assaulting troops were falling back he rallied them under very heavy fire, collected parties of other units, and reorganised the defence of the front line. Captain Boomer iet, unassuming, and altogether a particularly fine fellow, and his death is deplored by all who knew him.

Sympathetic references to Captain Boomer's death were made at the meetings of the Lisburn Urban Council and Lisburn Board of Guardians, and both bodies passed a vote of sympathy with the bereaved parents. At the Urban Council meeting Dr. St.George stated that Captain Boomer was home a short time ago on sick leave, following an attack of malaria. He gave him a certificate relative to his condition to be sent to the War Office, but so eager was Captain Boomer to get back to duty that he did not wait for a reply, which arrived after he had gone up to the line, and exempted him from active service for some time longer. Captain Boomer, he declared, was one of the bravest of the brave. The Chairman (Mr. William Davis, J.P.) said he had known Captain Boomer from his childhood days, and personally he looked upon him as one of the finest types of the youth of Lisburn.

Equally sincere and sympathetic was the reference made at the meeting of the Board of Guardians.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Lieutenant J. Lawson Graham, 9th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, killed in action on the 3rd September, was a son of Mr. Samuel Graham, Maplevale, Boardmills, and nephew of Dr. James Graham, City Coroner, Belfast. He was gazetted to the Inniskillings in August, 1915, and was advanced to the rank of Lieutenant in July, 1917. He was wounded in the battle of the Somme in 1916.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Rev. James Lawson Rentoul, B.A., minister of Rostrevor Presbyterian Church was killed by shell-fire while serving in the trenches on the evening of Sunday, 29th September. He was a son of Rev. R. W. R. Rentoul, B.A., of Clonmel, and cousin of Dr. Rentoul, Lisburn. Alter a period of service in Belfast as assistant minister to Rev. William Park, M.A., D.D., Rosemary Street, he was ordained at Rostrevor on 20th May, 1914. He enlisted in the Royal Army Medical Corps nine months' ago, and after undergoing training in Blackpool he was sent to France. The late Mr. Rentoul, who was 30 years of age, married a daughter of Rev. D. R. Moore, Killinchy. His brother, Lieutenant Wm. W. Rentoul, East Lancashire Regiment, was wounded last year.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Corporal Percy Burke, R.I.R. Corporal Percy Burke, R.I.R.

Mr. George Burke, Grafton Crescent, Hilden, has received official notification that his son, Corporal Percy Burke, 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, was killed in action on the 6th September. He had been in France since November, 1914. This is the second son of Mr. Burke's to make too supreme sacrifice. A third son, Private Ivan Burke, has been wounded, and is at present in Netley Hospital, England.




A pretty wedding took place in Loughaghry Church on Wednesday last, when Miss Madeline Moorhead, daughter of Rev. J. N. and Mrs. Moorhead, Blackbridge, was married to Mr. Thomas H. M'Donald, of Loughaghry, County Down. Considerable interest was taken in the event, and the church was crowded with friends and well-wishers of the contracting parties. The ceremony was performed by the father of the bride, who was assisted by Rev. J. M'Cracken, rector of the parish, and Rev. Samuel Murray, of Cargycreevy. The bride was attended by her two sisters, Misses Mabel and Norah Moorhead, while Mr. Victor M'Murray acted as best man. The ceremony was semi-choral, the bridal hymns being accompanied on the organ by Master R. Moorhead, brother, of the bride. The bride, who was given away by her father, looked exceedingly well in ivory silk taffeta, with an overdress of ninon. The tunic was trimmed with pearl embroidery, while a touch of embroidery was introduced on the bodice. Her veil of net was caught with a wreath of orange blossoms, a spray of blossoms also being worn in the belt of the bodice. She carried a shower bouquet (the gift of the bridegroom) composed of roses, lilies, and chrysanthemums. The bridesmaids were becomingly gowned in pale blue silk eoline, with overdress of georgette; while their picture hats were of black chiffon with touches of blue introduced to match the dresses. Their bouquets (the gift of the bridegroom) were of pale pink chrysanthemums and ferns. Mrs. Moorhead (mother of the bride) was gowned in deep blue gabardine coat-frock, with hat of velvet and georgette to match. After the ceremony a reception was held at the residence of the bride's parents. Later in the evening the happy pair left for Dublin for their honeymoon.

A large number of costly and beautiful presents were received.

The motor cars, and carriages were supplied by Messrs. Jellie & Fullerton, Lisburn, and James Patterson, Ballynahinch.



A Distinguished Ulster Poet.

We regret to announce the death of Major Samuel K. Cowan, M.A., the well-known poet and litterateur, which took place at Bedford on Wednesday, 2nd inst., after a comparatively brief illness. Major Cowan was a son of the late Mr. Andrew Cowan, J.P., of Craigowen, Craigavad, and was a member of a family which has been prominent in the social and commercial life of Ulster for over a century. He graduated at Trinity College, Dublin, and early in his career he was granted a commission in the old North Down Militia, in which he served for many years, ultimately retiring with the rank of major. His taste and inclination induced him to devote himself to the profession of literature, and in the writing of poetry he displayed an insight and sympathy which gave to his verse a distinction that evoked the warm admiration of the critics. His compositions were always characterised by dignity and sincerity, and their precision and smoothness testified to the care which he exercised in the choice of words and to his sound instinct for the charm of melody and rhythm. Several volumes of poems from his pen have had a wide circulation, and as a whole his work has an individual quality which should ensure for it a large measure of permanence. He was a frequent contributor to the "Lisburn Standard," and some of the most notable of his poems originally appeared in our columns.

Major Cowan resided with his daughter in Holland for many years, but his affection for his native province did not undergo any abatement by his absence, and he made a point of keeping in touch with his friends in Belfast and other parts of Ulster. Intensely patriotic, the formation of the Ulster Division soon after the outbreak of the war was a source of great satisfaction to him, and the heroism with which the officers and men from the Imperial Province acquitted themselves in the opening of the Battle of the Somme on the 1st July, 1916, was commemorated by him in a poem entitled "The Charge of the Ulster Division at Thiepval," which by reason of its dramatic force, emotional feeling, and purity of diction is entitled to rank as one of the noblest compositions of its kind which the war has produced. The last of Major Cowan's poems to be published in our columns appeared in the issue for the 9th August, under the title of "In Glory's Train." A number of his poems were set to music, and in this form they enjoyed great popularity. Major Cowan returned to England about two years ago, and recently visited many personal friends in Belfast and Lisburn. He was a staunch Unionist in politics, and was a warm admirer of Sir Edward Carson, whom he regarded as one of the ablest statesmen of the day. The deceased's younger son, Lieutenant Basil T. B. Cowan, was killed in action at the Dardanelles while serving with the Lincolnshire Regiment, and about the same time Major Cowan sustained another heavy bereavement through the death of his wife, a daughter of the late Mr. Reilly, of Drenta, Dunmurry. The deceased leaves one son -- Mr. Reilly Cowan, an officer in the Army -- and one daughter, Mrs. Van Noorden.



This court was held on Wednesday, 9th inst., before Messrs. E. J. Charley, Jas. Moore, W. A. Bell, and William Coates, justices.

William Hill, School Attendance Officer, applied for and obtained attendance orders against a number of parents residing in Belfast Road district.

Samuel Eccles, a child of twelve years, was charged with housebreaking and stealing a ring value 31s and 4s in money out of Mrs. Morrison's house, at Oldforge.

Mr. Maginess appeared for the boy and his mother. After hearing the evidence, and on the application of defendants' solicitor, the case was adjourned for six months.

The magistrates altered the time for the sitting of the court from 11-45 till 11 o'clock a.m.


^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 18 October, 1918


HUGHES--M'CORD -- Sept. 25th, at Christ Church, Lisburn, by the Rev. R. H. S. Cooper, M.A., Johnston, son of Mrs. Hughes, Bridge Street, to Maria Eleanor (May), third daughter of Hugh M'Cord, Rowallen, Dublin Road, Lisburn.

CAMPBELL--EDWARDS -- August 22, 1918, at St. George's Presbyterian Church, Johannesburg, by the Rev. D. Fleet, A. W. Campbell, son of the late Mr. Wm. Campbell, Lisburn, to Ivy B., only daughter of Mr. J. H. Johnston, Greenwich, London.


DONAGHY -- October 14, 1918, at his residence, Beechmount, Lisburn, Edward Donaghy, senior. -- R.I.P. Interred in Holy Trinity on 16th inst.

DALTON -- July 20th, at Wahroonga, Australia (result of an accident), Samuel, dearly-loved son of Mrs. and the late Robert Dalton, Maze, Lisburn. -- Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Mother, Brothers, Sisters, and Uncle (one of his brothers on active service).

HOBSON -- October 14, 1918, at 39 Castle Street, Lisburn, Caroline, wife of B. C. Hobson, Chrome Hill, Lambeg. Funeral private. No flowers.





-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland -- 1837.

Lisburn, an unincorporated borough, market town, and parish, partly in the barony of Upper Massareene, county of Antrim, and partly in the barony of Upper Castlereagh, but chiefly in that of Lower Iveagh, county of Down, and province of Ulster, 6 miles (S.W. by S.) from Belfast, and 73 (N.) from Dublin; containing 13,249 inhabitants, of which number 5,218 are in the borough, 5,941 in that part of the parish which is in the county of Down, and 2,090 in that which is in the county of Antrim. This place was, in the reign of James I. and long after, called Lisnegarvey; and though now a populous and flourishing town, it was at that time a very inconsiderable village. Its rapid increase in population and importance may be attributed to Edward, Viscount Conway, to whom, in 1627, Charles I. granted the remainder of the manor of Kiltultagh (a portion of which had been previously given by James I. to his ancestor, Sir Fulk Conway), who, on obtaining possession of this grant, built a castle here, which became the head of the manor. The same grant conferred the privileges of courts leet and baron, view of frank pledge, manorial courts for debts not exceeding £2, a court of record every three weeks for sums not exceeding £20, a weekly market, and two annual fairs. Soon after the erection of the castle, some English and Welsh families were induced by the proprietor to settle here, and a town consisting of more than fifty houses soon arose. On the breaking out of the war in 1641, a body of 1,000 men assembled and preserved the town for some time from the attempts of the insurgents, and held their detached parties in check; but on the 28th November in that year, the garrison consisting only of five newly-raised companies and Lord Conway's troop of horse, the insurgent army commanded by Sir Phelim O'Nial, Sir Conn Magennis, and General Plunket, on their march to Carrickfergus, advanced to attack the town. Sir Arthur Tyringham, however, arriving with a small reinforcement, and being aided by Sir George Rawdon, repulsed the columns of the enemy as they successively advanced to the assault, and by a galling fire from the streets committed great slaughter among them. At nightfall further reinforcements arrived from Carrickfergus and Belfast; and the insurgents despairing of success, set fire to the town, which in a few hours was reduced to ashes; a sanguinary conflict being maintained in the burning town till nearly midnight, when the insurgents were finally put to flight, leaving behind them a number of slain equal to three times the entire number of the garrison, of whom only from 20 to 30 were killed. In 1644 General Monroe made an attempt to obtain possession of the town, but was frustrated by the vigilance and resolution of the garrison; and on the 6th of December, 1648, that general, with the Scottish forces under his command, was signally defeated on the plains of "Lisnegarvey" by Col. Venables and Sir Charles Coote, two of Cromwell's commanders, to the former of whom the castle was surrendered in 1650. On the landing of the Duke of Schomberg, near Bangor, in 1689, a considerable body of forces in the interest of James II. assembled at this place, but afterwards abandoned it without any attempt for its defence, and William III. passed through the town shortly before the battle of the Boyne. Charles II., to reward the fidelity of the inhabitants to his father and to himself, had erected the church of Lisburn into a cathedral for the united dioceses of Down and Connor, and had granted the townsmen the privilege of sending two representatives to the Irish Parliament; but what more especially contributed to the improvement and commercial importance of the town was the settlement here, after the revocation of the edict of Nantz, of many Huguenot families, who introduced the manufacture of linen, and brought with them improved machinery from Holland. The skill and industry of these new settlers were liberally encouraged by the Government, which granted large sums of money for the erection of suitable buildings for carrying on the manufactures, etc., and, by giving an example to others engaged in the same trade, soon raised the quality of the manufactures to a degree of excellence previously unknown. In 1707 the town and castle were burned to the ground; the latter has never been rebuilt, but the present town soon arose from the ruins of the former, and gradually increased in extent; it has been greatly improved at various times, and especially within the last few years by the spirited exertions of the agent of the Marquess of Hertford, who is owner in fee of the whole town, and of a considerable part of the surrounding country; and it is now one of the handsomest inland towns in the province of Ulster.

The town is situated on the north-western bank of the river Lagan, which separates the counties of Antrim and Down, and on the high road from Dublin to Belfast. It consists principally of one long irregular line of street, extending nearly from east to west, from which several smaller streets branch off; and contains, according to the last census, 992 houses, of which 675 are roofed with slate, and the remainder with thatch; all the houses in the principal streets are well built; and amply supplied with excellent water conveyed by pipes from works in the neighbourhood. The great terrace of the castle, which is still remaining, has been made an agreeable promenade; it is sheltered from the north by Castle Street, and is kept in the best order at the expense of Marquess of Hertford. On the opposite side of the river is a small suburb, not included in the ancient limits of the borough, but within the parish and the new electoral boundaries. A new line of road has been made at a great expense at the entrance from Dublin on the southwest, and also at the entrance from Belfast and Armagh, by which the town has been much improved. The manufacture of linens and cambrics, which are sold in their brown state every market day at the linen-hall, a neat and commodious building erected for the purpose, is still carried on to a considerable extent, and maintains its high reputation for the superior quality of these articles; and the diapers and damasks of this place have long been distinguished for their unrivalled beauty of pattern and fineness of texture. On a small island in the river Lagan are extensive chymical works for the preparation of acids, chlorides, etc., for the supply of the several bleachyards, of which some of the largest in the kingdom are adjacent to the town, the principal being at Lambeg, Colin, Seymour Hill, Suffolk, and Chrome Hill, where 189,000 pieces are annually bleached and finished, principally for the London market. There are also extensive establishments for the printing, bleaching, and dyeing of muslins; and near the town are an extensive thread manufactory and a large flour-mill. The trade is much facilitated by the Lagan navigation between Lough Neagh and Belfast, which joins the river Lagan a little above the town, by which, with the aid of several collateral cuts, the navigation is continued to Belfast. The market is on Tuesday, and is the largest and best in this part of the country for every description of provisions; it is also much frequented on account of the quantities of linen and other articles which, in addition to its supply of provisions, are brought for sale; there is a cattle market on the same day. The fairs are annually held on July 21st and October 5th, and are chiefly for horses, cattle, sheep, lambs, and pigs, of which the supply is very large. The markethouse is a handsome building surmounted by a cupola, and, in addition to the accommodation it affords to the market, contains a suite of assembly-rooms. There are also very extensive shambles, corn stores, sheds, and weigh-houses, erected by the proprietor of the town, and well-enclosed market-places for cattle, sheep, and pigs.

(To be Continued.)




The marriage took place at St. George's Presbyterian Church, Johannesburg, on 22nd August, of Mr. A. W. Campbell, business manager of the Roodepoort United Mines, and Mrs. Ivy B. Edwards, only daughter of Mr. J. H. Johnson, of Greenwich, London.

The bride was a popular member of the Cape Town staff of the South African Milling Coy., and on her departure was the recipient of several presentations, including cheques from the managing director and directors, a silver salver, suitably inscribed, from the general staff, and a dinner cruet from the lady members of the staff.

The Rev. D. Flett officiated, and the bridegroom, who is a son of the late Mr. William Campbell, of Lisburn, Ireland, was accompanied by Mr. Alexander Rosbotham as best man.

The honeymoon is being spent at Pretoria. -- "Cape Times."



On Saturday, the 5th of October, at the Pariah Church, Pocklington, Yorks, the marriage was quietly celebrated (by special licence) of Mr. William Lane, elder son of Mr. W. J. and Mrs. Lane, Old Hillsborough Road, Lisburn, to Miss Gertie Johnson, youngest daughter of Mr. James Johnson, florist and seed merchant, Pocklington. The Rev. T. A. Fisher, M.A. (vicar), officiated, and the bride was given away by her father. Mr. John S. Lane accompanied his brother as best man. Amongst those present in church were Mrs. and Miss M. Johnson, Mrs. Lane, and the Misses Lane.

The bridegroom is at present attached to the R.F.A. Before enlisting he was teaching at Monk Bridge School, York. The bride was the recipient of numerous presents. The honeymoon is being spent at Scarborough.



The death took place on Monday, to the great regret of all who knew him, of Mr. Edward Donaghy, sen., Beechmount, Lisburn. A little better than two years ago Mr. Donaghy had a very serious illness, and was confined to bed for a long period. His splendid constitution, however, stood him in good stead, and many people who then expected to be at his funeral in the course of a few days had instead the pleasure at meeting him at a social function in his honour, in connection with the firm of which he was the veteran founder and head. The social was held on Friday evening, 7th October, 1916 (and Mr. Donaghy's health was never drunk with more heartiness than it was that night.

Mr. Daniel Mooney, to whom the toast was entrusted, during the course of an interesting speech said that he had been closely intimate with Mr. Donaghy for a quarter of a century, and had at all times found him a thorough old gentleman. Everyone who knew him had got to respect him, not only for his social and other sterling qualities, but for his great commercial abilities as well. Mr. Donaghy was pioneer of that great industrial concern of Messrs. E. Donaghy & Sons. He founded the business, and fought his way to the forefront of Irish manufacture, and was (at that time) the boot manufacturer in Ireland who held a War Office contract. Edward Donaghy stock it through thick and thin, through good times and bad, and by determined striving and honest value had built up a business second to none. They in Lisburn were exceedingly proud of their grand old man.

Mr. Donaghy replied in a characteristically numerous speech. Alas! we shall hear that cheery voice no more. Taking to his bed some weeks ago, there was little hope, at his advanced age of nearly ninety years, of him making a second almost miraculous recovery, and the end came peacefully and not unexpectedly on Monday morning.

Deceased, as stated, was founder of the firm of E. Donaghy & Sons, boot and shoe merchants -- a firm well known in Ireland and across the Channel. The headquarters are situate in Lisburn, the factory in Graham Gardens, being one of the largest in the country, and is equipped with the most modern machinery. One of the branches is in North Street, Belfast, which is carried on by Mr. Henry Donaghy, whose younger brother (Mr. E. Donaghy, Jun., J.P.) is a managing director of the firm, and personally superintends the work at the manufactory. The eldest son (Mr. Patrick Donaghy) is prominently known in commercial circles.

There wan no more highly-respected citizen in Lisburn than the late Mr. Donaghy. He was selected and nominated as an urban councillor, but could not see his way to accept the honour. He, however, accepted the position of poor-law guardian for the urban district, and displayed much wisdom and intelligence in the business transacted at the Board, which he regularly attended while health permitted. He was an affable, good-natured man, possessing a rich fund, of humour. In religion he was a devout Catholic. He abstained from taking any active part in politics, and was much respected for his broadminded and tolerant views. His wife predeceased him some years ago. He leaves three sons and five daughters, who, with one exception, are all married.

The Funeral.

The funeral took place on Wednesday to Holy Trinity Cemetery, Lisburn, the large cortege, bearing testimony to the high esteem and regard in which the late Mr. Donaghy wan held. There were a number of beautiful wreaths, including one from the employees of the firm.

The chief mourners were -- Patrick Donaghy, Henry Donaghy, and E. Donaghy, J.P. (sons); Patrick Slowey, J.P., and Wm. Crossin. (sons-in-law); Edward M'Cann; Rev. E. J. Crossin, St. Malachy's College, Belfast; Hugh P. Crossin, M.P.S.I.; Gerald Slowey, Patrick Slowey, Michael M'Entee (grandsons); Dr. J. J. Clarke, Daniel Mooney, Ed. Mooney, Daniel Mooney, jun.; Michael Lavery, solicitor; John Lavery, and Bernard M'Cartan.

The ceremony at the graveside was performed by Rev. H. M'Guiggun, C.C., Hannahstown, and Rev. E. J. Crossin, St. Malachy's.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by the firm of Wm. Ramsey, under the personal supervision of Mr. Robert Ramsey.



-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --

The war news all week has been very heartening, and the great results achieved yesterday make it the best day of the war. Not every day brings such glorious news as that of the simultaneous recovery of Ostend, Douai, and Lille, the last mentioned being a city of over 200,000 souls.

The whole Belgian coast has been cleared of the enemy. The Belgians are in the outskirts of Bruges, the French have reached Thielt, and Plumer's army, crossing the Lys, is on the edge of Tourcoing. South of Le Cateau a pitched battle was fought yesterday, the town being cleared, the line of the Selle River stormed, seven German divisions defeated, and 8,000 prisoners taken.

There are all sort of peace talk rumours, and excitement is running high in all the Allied capitals.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


The "Daily Express" says:-- The German withdrawal from Ostend is of far=reaching significance. It entails the surrender of menacing U-boat bases and aerodromes. It means the limitation of German offensives under the sea and in the air. It takes from Germany the most advantageous jumping-off positions that she possesses.

"The Times," while advocating caution, declares that the Germans, have lost the war, and know it; but they are not yet close to an actual breakdown or to the cutting off of their armies. Their biggest danger just now is not even the Allies, but is discernible in the internal condition of their own civil population. By that factor, their military position must to some extent be tested. Germany, in short, might still resist for a long time, but not if behind a shortened front she had her own civil population in a state of revolt.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


Lieut. Arthur Williamson, American Army, a son of Mr. Arthur Williamson, M.A., Rathmines Technical Institute, and formerly of Belfast and Lisburn, has been promoted to a captaincy as and from the 3rd July. This officer, who has been in France several months, is himself a native of Lisburn.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


Lieut. S. Parker Beggs, Royal Engineers, who has been awarded the Military Cross in recognition of his gallantry in the field, is the eldest son of Mr. Samuel Beggs, Chestnut Villa, Dunmurry. A graduate of Queen's University of Belfast, he served his apprenticeship with Mr. L. L. Macassey, and before entering the army was a civil engineer on the staff of the Congested Districts Board. His brother, Captain H. B. Beggs, 8th Royal Irish Rifles (East Belfast), has been missing since 1st July, 1916.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


It is officially announced that his Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of a bar to the Military Cross to Major Campbell M'Neil M'Cormack, M.C., M.B., R.A.M.C., youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. William M'Cormack, Hillhall House, Lisburn, and a graduate of Queen's University of Belfast ---

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During an important engagement he organised the evacuation of the wounded with great skill and devotion to duty, proceeding frequently himself in charge of bearers, through heavy shelling, to the rear aid posts. It was largely due to his able organisation and fine example of self-sacrificing gallantry that the numerous casualties were evacuated so expeditiously.

This gallant officer, who was killed on 22nd September last, won the Military Cross in the summer of 1916. His father has received the following telegram of sympathy from the King and Queen:--

The King and Queen deeply regret the loss you and the army have sustained by the death of your son in the service of his country. Their Majesties truly sympathise with you in your sorrow. -- Keeper of the Privy Purse.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


The Commander-in-Chief of the B.E.F. has awarded a bar to the Military Cross to Major W. Russell, M.C, R.A.M.C. Major Russell, who graduated at Queen's University in 1914, and immediately joined the forces, is a son of Mr. F. Russell, V.S. Dromore Street, Ballynahinch, and brother of Mr. F. Russell, V.S., Lisburn. He has been at the front for three years, and was gassed a few weeks ago. In the autumn of 1917 Major Russell was granted the Military Cross for conspicuous devotion to duty.


^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 25 October, 1918


M'CORMACK -- October 21st, at a Private Nursing Home, to the late Major Campbell M'Neill M'Cormack, M.B., M.C. and Bar, and Mrs. M'Cormack -- a daughter (still-born).


DICKSON -- October 16th, at Vancouver, B.C., of Spanish influenza, Andrew Dickson, son of the late Andrew Dickson and Mrs. Dickson, Castle Espie, Comber. (By cable.)





-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland -- 1837.


By the charter of Charles II. conferring the elective franchise, the inhabitants not being a body corporate, and consequently having no municipal officer, the seneschal of the manor of Kilultagh was appointed returning officer for the borough; and the right of election was vested in the inhabitants generally, every potwalloper being entitled to vote; but by an Act of the 35th of Geo. III., cap. 29, it was restricted to the £5 householders, of whom, previously to the late Act for amending the representation, there were only 1411, and of these only 81 were qualified to vote. By the 2nd of William IV., cap. 88, the right of election was confirmed in the £5 householders; and the boundary of the borough, which was very indistinct, was enlarged and clearly defined, and now comprises an area of 1,325 acres, the limits of which are thus minutely described:--

The several Townlands of Lisnagarvy, Tonagh, and Old Warren, in the parish of Blaris; also that portion of the townland of Lambeg that lies to the west of the River Lagan, and is bounded as follows: namely, on the south and west by the townland of Lisnagervy, on the north between the Belsize Road and the old Belfast Road by a small stream which is the boundary of the townland of Maghreleave, and on the east by the the old Belfast Road from the point where the same crosses the above-mentioned small stream to the point where it is met by the Lower Road near Lambeg Glebe; then along the said Lower Road to the point where the same is met by "Wheeler's Ditch;" thence along Wheeler's Ditch to the River Lagan.

Also the space contained between the River Lagan and the following boundry; (that is to say,)

From the bridge along the Drumbo Road for about five hundred yards to the point at which the same is met by another road coming out of the suburb thence, eastward, along a ditch, on the north side of which fir trees are planted for about two hundred and sixty yards, to the point at which the said ditch, meets a lane running to the river; thence along that lane to the river.

Also the small island on the River Lagan in which are situated the Vitriol Works.

Also that portion of the townland of Knockmore which has hitherto formed a part of the borough.

The number of voters registered up to March 1st, 1836, was 134; the seneschal is still the returning officer. Manorial courts are held by the seneschal every third Wednesday, at which debts to the amount of 40s are recoverable; and there is a court of record, with jurisdiction to the amount of £20 late currency. Courts leet are also held twice in the year, when a leet grand jury is sworn, by whom a petty constable is appointed for each of the 17 constablewicks into which the manor is divided; presentments for payment of salaries, repairs of roads, and other works are made; and all the municipal functions of the borough are exercised. Petty sessions are also held in the town every Tuesday; and here is a station of the constabulary police. A large, and handsome edifice now used as the courthouse of the manor, and for holding the petty sessions and other public meetings, was originally built and supported by Government as a chapel for the Huguenot emigrants, whose descendants having attached themselves to the Established Church, the minister's stipend has been discontinued, and the building appropriated to the above purposes. The manor gaol of the borough, under the custody of the marshal of the manor court, has, since the 7th of George IV., been disused as a place of confinement, and is now used as a place of custody for goods attached by the court till bailed.

The parish, which is also called Blaris, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 10,697 statute acres, of which 2,827¼ are in the barony of Upper Massareene, county of Antrim, and 3,064 in Upper Castlereagh, and 4,805¾ in Lower Iveagh, county of Down. The lands are very fertile, and the system of agriculture is highly improved; for the last twenty years, wheat has been the staple crop, and oats, formerly the principal produce, are now grown only for the sake of the due rotation of crops. The Maze racecourse is in this parish. The surrounding scenery is enlivened by numerous gentlemen's seats, among which are Ballymacash, the residence of Edw. Johnson, Esq.; Brookhill, of James Watson, Esq.; Larchfield, of Wm. Mussenden, Esq.; Lambeg House, of Robert Williamson, Esq.; Seymour Hill, of Wm. Charley, Esq.; Chrome Hill, of Richard Niven, Esq.; Ingram Lodge, of J. Richardson, Esq.; Suffolk, of the late J. M'Cance, Esq.; and Colin, of Matthew Roberts, Esq.; besides many other, elegant houses near the town. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Connor, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Hertford. The tithes amount to £700; there is a glebe-house but no glebe attached to the living. The church is a spacious and handsome building, with a tower, to which an octagonal spire was added in 1807, at the expense of the late Marquess of Hertford; a fine organ has been presented to it by the present Marquess; and in its improvement considerable sums have been expended, including a recent grant of £256 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It contains a handsome monument to Lieut. Dobbs, a native of the town, who was killed in an engagement with Paul Jones off this coast; and an elegant monument has recently been erected at the expense of the bishop and clergy of the diocese to the memory of the celebrated Dr. Jeremy Taylor, Bishop of Down and Connor, who died here in 1667, and was buried in a vault in the church of Dromore, which he had built. In the churchyard are several monuments to many of the Huguenots who settled here under the patronage of William III. and Queen Anne. It is the cathedral church of the united dioceses of Down and Connor; the visitations are held in it, and all the business belonging to the see transacted in the town. There are no chapels of ease within the pariah, but divine service is performed in the schoolhouses of Newport, Mace, and Broomhedge, in rotation. In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, also called Blaris, comprising the parishes of Lisburn and Hillsborough, in each of which is a chapel. There is a meeting-house for Presbyterians of the Synod of Ulster, of the first class, also two for Wesleyan Methodists, and one for the Society of Friends.

To the north of the town is the Ulster Provincial School for the Society of Friends, founded in 1794 by Mr. John Handcock, who bequeathed a sum of money for the erection of the premises; 50 children, who are eligible at eight years of age and remain till fourteen, are awarded, clothed, educated, and apprenticed; each scholar pays £3 12s per annum, and the remainder of the expense, which averages about £14 per annum each, is defrayed by contributions from the Society. A free school for boys was founded in 1810, and aided by the Association for Discountenancing Vice; and there is a similar school for girls, built and supported by subscription: the late George Whitla, Esq., bequeathed £100 to each, the interest of which is applied in procuring clothing for some of the poorest children. There are also two other schools for both sexes, one of which is aided by the same Society, and the other is supported by subscription. An infants' school, also supported by subscription, was established in 1832, and a building was erected for its use at an expense of £120, towards defraying which the Marquess of Hertford contributed £50. The number of boys on the books of these schools is about 400, and of girls 300; and in the private pay schools are about 360 boys and 245 girls. An almshouse for eight poor women was founded under the will of Mr. Williams, in 1826; and six almshouses, for as many poor widows, were also founded by a member of the Trail family, and are now wholly supported by William Trail, Esq.; they were rebuilt on a more convenient site in 1830, at the expense of the Marquess of Hertford. The several charitable bequests amount in the aggregate to £2,750, invested in Government securities; the interest of which sum is distributed in winter among the poor, according to the wills of the respective donors. A Humane Society for the restoration of suspended animation has been established here; and in an airy part of the town is situated the County Infirmary, supported equally by subscriptions and grand jury presentments. On the White Mountain, about two miles to the north of the town, are the ruins of Castle Robin, erected by Sir Robert Norton in the reign of Elizabeth; the walls now remaining are 84 feet long, 36 feet wide, and 40 feet high, and near them is a large mount. Among the distinguished individuals, born here may he noticed Dr. Edw. Smith, Bishop of Down and Connor, in 1665. Lisburn confers the titles of Earl and Viscount on the family of Vaughan.

(New week: Railway Street Church.)



By Rifleman Patrick MacGill.

Soft the night on the bleak field's face
     And under the lonely moon,
The white cross marks your resting-place,
     Mate of the old platoon.

Hazards many we both have shared,
     Enduring as men endure--
"With faith and fire all risks we dared,
     Knowing the end was sure.

"The cause is worthy," you often said--
     You said: "We're out to win,"
As we looked to the great new day ahead
     That ushered Freedom in.

There's a weapon less on the rifle-rack,
     And gone from the parapet,
Still you guide us now on the cobbled track,
     The mate we can't forget.

To the hour ahead our way we wend,
     Let it come late or soon,
We know you're with us to the end,
     Mate of the old platoon.



-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --


-- -- -- --

President Wilson has replied to Germany's peace. Note. In a nutshell, German autocracy must surrender or take a beating. In agreeing to submit proposals for peace to the Allies, the President adds that he cannot deal with any but the veritable representatives of the German people. If he must deal with the military masters of Germany, either now or later, he must demand not peace negotiations but surrender.

It is also particularly emphasised that the United States Government is done with separate dealings with the German authorities, and future statements will be made by the United States and Allies acting in concert.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


The news from the front continues good. Yesterday the Third and Fourth British Armies continued their attack, the battle raging from the Samble-Oise Canal due east of Le Cateau to Thiant on the Schedlt a little south of Valenciennes. On the whole front the enemy's resistance was overcome, and our advance has continued. Since Wednesday morning more than 7,000 prisoners and 100 guns have been captured.

The French report somewhat greater progress on the Oise, where, they succeeded in forcing the canal, and in the Oise-Serre angle, where a sharp attack gave them several hundred prisoners.

In the Verdun area the Americans made not inconsiderable gains in territory and prisoners.

On the Italian front Allied troops on the Sette Comuni pushed through some extremely vigorous raiding attacks, resulting in the capture of over 1,000 prisoners. The British losses are reported as 1 killed and 9 wounded, as against the capture of 225 of the enemy.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


Lieut. Thomas John Moulds, M.C., Canadian Infantry, who died of wounds received in action on the 27th ult., was the son of Mrs. Moulds, Colinview House, Dunmurry. He went to Canada about five years ago, and, joining up, came to France, where he won the M.C. for conspicuous bravery in the field about a year ago. Two of his brothers, Private William Moulds and Sergeant Joseph Moulds, joined the colours, and the latter lost his right arm while in the service of his country.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Lance-Corporal Samuel Dick, R.I.R.

Mr. Samuel Dick, Drumbeg, Dunmurry, has received a telegram stating that his son, Lance-Corporal Samuel Dick, Royal Irish Rifles, died of wounds on 13th inst. at a casualty clearing station. He had four years' service to his credit, and was a member of the Drumbeg U.V.F. Prior to enlisting he was employed by Messrs. John Shaw Brown & Sons, Ltd., Edenderry.

-- -- -- -- -- --

Sergeant Thomas M'Cord, H.L.I.

Sergeant Tom M'Cord, H.L.I., killed in action, was the son of the late Mr. George M'Cord, Ballinderry, County Antrim. Deceased some time ago won the Military Medal for bravery in the field.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Captain W. Pedlow, M.C, R.D. Fusiliers.

Captain W. Pedlow, M.C, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who was killed in action on the 12th inst., was the only son of Mr. Wm. Pedlow, Senior Inspector of Schools, Dublin, who is well known in the North of Ireland. He was educated in St. Columba's College, Rathfarnham, Dublin, and passed from Trinity College into Sandhurst. He joined the Royal Dublin, Fusiliers, and was in most of the big battles from the 1st July, 1917. It is only a short time since he received his Military Cross at Buckingham Palace. Captain Pedlow had been ordered six months' rest on home service, and had only just joined his battalion. His commanding officer speaks of him as "being a splendid officer, who had done excellent work at the front, and who will be sadly missed by all ranks."

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


Second Bar to Military Cross.

Major Campbell M'Neill M'Cormack, M.C., R.A.M.C., youngest son of Mr. Wm. M'Cormack, Hillhall House, Lisburn, killed in action on 22nd September, has been awarded a second bar to his Military Cross. The action for which the late Major M'Cormack was granted this award has not been gazetted yet, but it is believed he won it when he was wounded about eleven days before his death. A pathetic circumstance is that the news arrived on the day that Major M'Cormack's infant (still-born) and only child was being buried. Great sympathy is felt for the young widow in her trying double bereavement.


In the Divorce Division, London, before Justice Horridge, Walter Hogg, petitioner, was granted a divorce nisi on the ground of his wife's misconduct. Petitioner was married in Belfast in 1894 to Charlotte Margaretta Hay. In 1915 his wife went to America, and in May, 1915, he received a letter from her stating that she was obtaining a divorce from him on the grounds of desertion. Evidence was given to the effect that the respondent had, in 1916, married in Sacramento, Robert O. Fleming, with whom she afterwards lived as his wife in New York.



^ top of page