Lisburn Standard - Friday, 7 March, 1919




-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --



1690. -- A considerable body of forces in the interest of James II. assembled at Lisburn on the arrival of King William's army; they abandoned the town without making any attempt at its defence.

1690. -- Duke Schomberg made Lisburn his headquarters in 1689-1690. He resided in a house situate in Castle St., nearly opposite the entrance to the Cathedral. King William on his march through Lisburn, June 19th, 1690, dined with Captain Johnston and Duke Schomberg in the house of George Gregson, a Quaker. The Captain's quarters were in Gregson's house, the site of which is at present occupied by the Northern Bank.

1690. -- King William III. during a delay at the crossing of the Lagan near Lambeg, lunched with Mr. Wolfenden at his house -- Harmony Hill. The original name of the residence was Waterside, its modern name, Chrome Hill. At Lambeg the King had the well-known interview with Rene Bulmer and his wife, French Huguenot refugees.

1690. -- The town consisted of about 400 houses and a population of 2,000. Belfast at the same time possessed 300 houses and a population of some 1,500.

1699. -- Bishop Smith, a native of Lisburn, was Bishop of Down and Connor. He was appointed at 34 years of age.

1699. -- Louis Crommelin obtained a patent for establishing the linen manufacture at Lisburn, also a grant of £60 per annum for the support of a French minister to attend to the spiritual needs of the French refugees who had settled in the town.

1701. -- Louis Crommelin erected buildings and works for bleaching and preparing linen on the ground now occupied by Hilden Thread Works. Later when writing a report he requests those disposed "to erect bleacheries" to visit his concern at Hilden, adding "it will serve them as a model." Another plot of ground further down the river was also acquired and called "New Holland" from the circumstance of several Dutch bleachers being engaged.

1706. -- Rev. Philip Skelton, D.D., an eminent theologian, born at Derriaghy 1706, died in in Dublin, 1787. He wrote some excellent hymns and numerous learned works. His life was written by the Rev. Samuel Burdy, 1792.

1707. -- The town was burned to the ground by an accidental fire. The Castle shared the same fate, and was never rebuilt. First Lisburn Presbyterian Church was entirely consumed. The Cathedral escaped serious injury, with the exception of the wooden bell tower, which, with the bell, were destroyed. The splendid set of musical bells presented by the Countess Conway were melted into solid masses of metal.

1720. -- The French Huguenot Church was situate in Castle Street, practically on the site of the Urban Council offices. The French congregation, after being in existence for over eighty years, ceased to exist towards the end of the 18th century, when the building was converted into a Courthouse. Later, about the year 1876, the Wallace estate office succeeded on the same site.

1721. -- John Gough, the first head-master of the Ulster Provincial School, was born in 1721, died 1791. He was author of a book on arithmetic, which for almost 100 years held the position of a standard text-book in Irish schools. He also wrote a "History of the Quakers," and is buried in the Friends grounds, Railway Street.

1726. -- The representatives of Mr. George Sands, C.E., who died in 1917, presented the Technical School, Lisburn, with two large maps of the Hertford estate bearing dates 1726 and 1729. The town lands and names of then occupying tenants are shown thereon. Also maps of the town and estate bound in 16 large volumes ranging from 1833 to 1865.

1727. -- Louis Crommelin was a native of Armandcourt, near St. Quintin. He lived in Lisburn, and was known as the "Director of the Linen Manufactory." He died in 1727, aged 75 years, and was buried in the Cathedral grounds. The Revocation of the Edict of Nantes -- 1685 -- was directly the cause of giving to the town of Lisburn, during the reign of William III., its French Huguenot population and the linen industry.

1740. -- The First application of lime as a manure is said to have taken place at Brookhill in this year.

1740. -- Napper Tandy, a prominent United Irishman, and the hero of "The Wearing of the Green," was the son of James Tandy, a linen manufacturer, who lived in Bridge Street Lisburn. He was born in 1740, and died in France in 1803.

1740. -- The Marquis of Hertford granted leases of his whole estate for three lives or forty-one years, at from two to five or six shillings an acre, which proved a great incentive to the improvement of the property and the prosperity of the inhabitants.

1754. -- The construction of the Lagan Canal between Belfast and Lough Neagh was commenced in 1754 and completed (including the Union Locks) to Blaris in 1768, at a cost of some £60,000. The work was finally extended to Lough Neagh and opened in 1794, at a further cost of over £60,000.

1759. -- William Todd Jones, a celebrated politician and pamphleteer of the "'98 period, was born in Lisburn about 1759, died 1818. He was returned to the Irish Parliament in 1783 as member for Lisburn. Mr. Jones resided for a time in Homra House, Curry's Glen. He is said to have been a descendant of Bishop Jeremy Taylor and was responsible for putting into circulation a rather curious story regarding the Bishop's ancestry.

1760. -- The great Oak of Portmore was blown down.

1761. -- The only acid used in the process of bleaching at this time was buttermilk.

1762. -- A law was passed by the Trustees of the Linen Board, that all brown linens should be sealed, so as to certify that each web was of proper length, breadth, and workmanship.

1762. -- The Marquis of Hertford was appointed Lord lieutenant of Ireland, with his son as Chief Secretary.

1766. -- William Coulson commenced with a few looms in a building erected near the County Down Bridge in 1764. Two years afterwards he removed to the present premises in Market Square, and the firm has since won world-wide reputation as Coulson's Damask Weaving Factory.

1767. -- The County of Antrim Infirmary established in Lisburn, with accommodation for fifty patients.

1768. -- Market Square, First Lisburn Presbyterian Church was founded prior to 1687. The church records are practically intact from that date. The original church stood somewhere in the Longstone, and was destroyed in the 1707 conflagration. The church was built on the present site in 1768, rebuilt in 1829 on a larger scale, and remodelled and enlarged in 1873. Owing to the munificence of Mr. Henry Musgrave a fine organ was installed in 1918, at a cost of £1,200. Market Square Schools adjoin the church and were opened about the year 1860.

1770. -- The Rev. John Wesley visited Lisburn five times between 1769 and 1778. He is also said to hare preached in a small house in Bow Street in 1756. An ancient yew tree, under the shade of which Mr. Wesley preached at Derriaghy, is still standing.

1772. -- The "Hearts of Steel" threatened to attack the town in March, 1772. Reinforcements were requisitioned from Belfast, and after an anxious night, when the attack was expected, the danger passed.

1773. -- Hillsborough Parish Church erected. Near the bridge at the bottom of Barrack Hill stood the old church of Crumlin, and its graveyard formed part of the present small park and of the pleasure grounds attached to the Castle. The church was removed to its present site in 1662, rebuilt in 1773.

1774. -- Ulster Provincial School opened as a boarding school for the children of Friends. Enlarged in 1794, 1878, and 1894. Swimming bath erected 1898. In 1880 the doors were opened to children of other denominations.

1774. -- Bartholomew Teeling born at Chapel Hill, Lisburn, about the year 1796 he went to France to aid Wolfe Tone in trying to induce the French Government to undertake an invasion of Ireland. In 1798 he was attached to the expedition organised against Ireland as aide-de-camp to General Humbert. The French army landed at Killala, August 22, was defeated; Teeling was captured at Colooney, Co. Sligo, and executed at Arbour Hill, September 24, 1798.

1776. -- Number of houses in town and suburbs, 654; population about 4,500.

1778. -- Paul Jones, the famous American privateersman, in his frigate "The Ranger" attacked in Belfast Lough the English sloop of war "Drake." The "Drake" was disabled, and Lieutenant Dobbs, a Lisburn man, who was on board, lost his life in the engagement.

1778. -- "The character of the inhabitants of Lisburn is well established, pride being their principal foible, many of those who from being destitute of fortune, high birth, or education, seem least entitled to vanity, justly deserve this character." From 1770 to 1830 reference crops up occasionally to "the pride of the ladies and the exclusiveness of the linen-drapers." "Linen draper" in this connection was applied to a merchant engaged in the linen industry.

1784. -- The earliest known date for printing in Lisburn. In the collection of Lavens Ewart, now in the Linenhall Library, is a volume containing some of Congreve's Poems printed in Lisburn in that year by Thomas Ward.

1788. -- Captain Robert Redman built the old house at Springfield, and died in 1788.

1789. -- James Wallace erected in a court off Castle Street a cotton mill, and enjoyed the triumph of seeing the first steam engine that ever whirled in the north of Ireland driving the spindles in his factory.

1790. -- The first mail coach commenced to run between Belfast, Dublin, and Cork, calling at Lisburn.

1791. -- William Henry West Betty, the young Roscius, was the son of a linen bleacher, and passed the early part of his boyhood at his father's house in Chapel Hill, Lisburn. In 1803, at the age of twelve years, young Betty appeared on the boards of the Theatre Royal, Belfast. In quick succession he visited Dublin, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, and on the 1st December, 1804, appeared at the Covent Garden Theatre, London. His success was marvellous, crowds thronged the theatre at every performance. From the time he arrived at the age of sixteen his power over the play-going public, however, began to wane, and when he took leave of the stage in 1824 the house was not half filled. The marvellous boy had degenerated into a very commonplace man. Later as a clergyman he was unable to keep up the attention of a country congregation, even for half an hour. He retired finally, and lived for almost half a century on the ample fortune he had so early amassed. He died in London, August 24, 1874.

(To be Continued.)



The War Office reports the death of 275546 Gunner W. Rogan, R.G.A., and also of 35898 Gunner W. J. Ross, R.G.A., both of Lisburn. The latter, who died while a prisoner of war in German hands, was previously reported missing.


Captain Keightley's Death. -- A few weeks ago we had pleasure in announcing the promotion to the rank of Captain in the Regular Army of Mr. Philip C. R. Keightley, elder son of Sir Samuel and Lady Keightley; to-day it is our sad duty to report his death, which occurred after a brief illness, while he was at home on a short, well-earned rest. It is given to few -- boy or man -- to be held in higher esteem than this gallant young officer, who is mourned to-day by none more sincerely than his associates in the Lisnagarvey Hockey Club. We publish an appreciation of Captain Keightley elsewhere to-day.


Mr. Arthur Williamson, M.A.

Another death which caused something akin to a sensation in town this week was that of Mr. Arthur Williamson, a Lisburn man who by sheer merit and application worked himself to the top of the tree in the teaching profession -- a profession, he loved so well. Although not actually resident in Lisburn for many years now, his arrival in town, even for the briefest stay, was always welcomed with delight, and especially by his athletic friends of the old days when Lisburn loomed high in he world of clean, manly sport. Although it was not our pleasure to know the deceased gentleman personally in those days, it was our good fortune to meet him, more particularly on the social side, on several occasions within the past decade, when we had the pleasure of verifying the preconceived good opinion we had formed of him from his public record and from the flattering accounts we had been given of him by many of his friends. Mr. Williamson's death in these days of reconstruction and educational reform is little short of a national calamity. With his brother and sister in Lisburn and other relatives we join the townspeople in offering our sincerest condolence.



An Appreciation.

On Tuesday morning last the mortal remains of Captain Philip Keightley were laid to rest under the shadow of the old church at Drumbeg. After more than three years of conflict and endurance, it seems a fitting resting-place for this gallant young soldier who passed away on the 2nd March while home on a brief leave, and after an illness lasting only a few days. We are sure that many of our readers will feel the loss to be almost a personal one. His sunny, genial and generous nature endeared him to all who knew him, and his high qualities of character, his courage, manliness, chivalrous honour, and hatred of all shams and meanness, won and held their respect and esteem.

While a mere boy he began to take share in the athletic life of Lisburn, and very early became a member of Lisnagarvey Hockey Club. Here he almost at once distinguished himself, and here he laid and cultivated the qualities of coolness, decision and judgment which he afterwards displayed in the more awful game of war of which he saw so much. He subsequently played on many occasions for the County of Antrim, and he also played for Ulster in the Provincial tournament. On his matriculation at Trinity College, Dublin, in 1913, he became a member of the University team and play in many important matches during his first year at the University -- a quite unusual distinction.

But it was only on the breaking out of the war that he found his true career. An enthusiastic member of the University Officers' Training Corps, he obtained a commission in the special reserve of the R.G.A., and finally found his way to France in September, 1915, when he obtained a commission in the regular army. It was his fortune to be sent to the deadly Ypres salient, and here for a year and three months he faced all the horror and carnage of that place of death. Few who have heard them will ever forget the stories of his experience here told with that modest forgetfulness of self and dread of ostentation which always distinguished him. During the remainder of his brief life he looked back on this time as a terrible nightmare through which he had passed.

Early in 1917 he was transferred to the Cambrai front to take part in the advance there, and a good many of his letters written home to his parents have appeared in this paper describing his experience during this strenuous time. Those letters were models of vivid and graphic narrative. He seemed to bear a charmed life, for while his battery was decimated he himself escaped without a scratch. Subsequently, when the Germans attempted to break through he was right in the path of the storm, but again, the same good fortune attended him, and though his C.O. and many officers and men of his battery were killed and wounded he again came through safely.

In January of the present year he was promoted captain, and had returned home to enjoy a few days of rest when he was suddenly called away. Such is the short and moving history of a gallant young life. They who had the best opportunity of judgment tell us that he was all that an officer should be. Courageous to the last point of daring, with a deep sense of his responsibility, he was full of initiative and resource, and never lost his self-command in the most critical times, and circumstances. He was especially distinguished for the thoughtful care and affection with which he looked after his men, and ministered to their comfort. Even in his last hours when the shadows of death were closing round him, he was back in thought with his old beloved comrades, and the thunder of the guns was sounding in his ears as he cheered and comforted them. But this brief notice should not close without laying one last wreath upon his tomb, which we think is the fairest and brightest. During the three years he served in France there never passed a single day in which he did not write to his mother. Filial love could go no further.

-- -- -- -- --

The funeral was of a purely private character, the arrangement being entrusted to Messrs. Jellie & Fullerton, Lisburn, and carried out, under the personal supervision of Mr. S. Fullerton.




Mr. A. WILLIAMSON, M.A.The death of Mr. Arthur Williamson, M.A., which occurred unexpectedly on Wednesday night at his residence, 63 Grosvenor Road, Rathgar, Dublin, has caused widespread regret; but no where was the sad news received with feelings of greater sorrow than in his own native town of Lisburn. Mr. Williamson's former robustness of health had recently given cause for anxiety, and last summer, under medical instructions, he was obliged to take three months' complete rest. He attended to his duties as usual on Wednesday, but, taking suddenly ill after he returned home, he passed away in a very short time.

Deceased, who was the eldest surviving son of the late Mr. Arthur Williamson, of Lisburn, spent his earlier years in Lisburn. He had a natural bent for the teaching profession, in the examinations for which he was entirely successful. After holding appointments at Hilden and Broadway (Belfast) he in 1904 was selected as English master in the Belfast Municipal Technical Institute, with which he had not been long associated until the committee, who appreciated his worth and work, appointed him to be chief lecturer in commerce. In 1910 he was chosen out of a large number of candidates for the coveted post of principal of the Rathmines School of Commerce. Mr. Williamson's preferment, whilst a theme of intense gratification, caused at the same time the most widespread regret, as it meant the severance from Belfast and the North of one of its most eminent masters, and the loss to the community of one of the most amiable and sympathetic personalities that ever adorned the social life of the city. In the South, as in the North -- for which he retained his affection -- Mr. Williamson added to the laurels of his professional career, and his death, in his fiftieth year, "has caused," wires the Dublin correspondent of Belfast Evening Telegraph," "the deepest feelings of sorrow not only in the township but also throughout the city of Dublin, where his great attainments were recognised shortly after he came from Belfast to take up the important position he so efficiently filled under the Rathmines Urban District Council."

The late Mr. Williamson was a life-long student. He was a graduate of the Royal University since 1894, when he was placed first in the Second Honours Class, and awarded an exhibition in the course of history, economics, and jurisprudence. He was a Fellow of the Royal Society, and a Fellow of the Institute of Commerce. Later he took the M.A. degree. He had done much good literary work, and had published several school text-books, including a "Commercial Geography of Ireland" and "The Elements of Civics." A copy of the latter excellent work, autographed "with the compliments and regards of his old chum, the Author, Jan., 1916," to a local professional man, lies before us as we write. "Had he not taken up teaching as a profession, Arthur Williamson would have made a great name at the Bar," was the comment expressed to us by his friend.

So much for deceased gentleman's connection with the world of letters. As a sportsman, some years back there was no one in the North better or more favourably known. He was a rugby player above the average ability, and helped the old Lisburn club to win the Ulster Cup in 1888-89. In honour of the important occasion it was resolved to present three special caps, and one of these naturally was voted Arthur Williamson. He was later the most widely known and popular official connected with athletics in the North of Ireland, where he was timekeeper for the I.A.A.A. In that capacity he officiated at hundreds of sports meetings, while from his experience in every line of out-door sport many clubs and organisations benefited.

As a Freemason, the late Mr. Williamson was perhaps even better known and more popular. In his early twenties he joined Lodge 602, Derriaghy, and continued a member of it until his death. In the course of his long association with the craft he filled many honoured offices. He occupied a prominent position in connection with the High Knight Templars of Ireland, being Second Grand Captain of the Guards in the Grand Priory. He was also a member of the Great Preceptory of Instruction. He was a member of 178 Preceptory, which he represented on the Council of the Grand Master. Deceased was also a Prince Mason, being Junior Warden of Chapter 12, Belfast. He was the representative of the Grand Lodge of Kansas at the Grand Lodge of Ireland; representative of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Utah at the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Ireland; one of the representatives for Antrim on the Royal Arch Board of General Purposes of Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Ireland, and past Deputy Superintendent of Royal Arch Masonry for Antrim.

He leaves behind him a widow and two sons, one of whom is in the American Army, whom he had not seen for nine years, and to whose home-coming he was looking forward eagerly, whilst the other is attending St. Andrew's School, Dublin. He is also survived by two brothers -- Rev. Fred 'Williamson, Canada, who served in France as chaplain, and Mr. S. Williamson, Editorial staff "Belfast Evening Telegraph" -- and by his sister, Miss Williamson, of Lisburn.

The funeral takes place to-morrow (Saturday), by motor, leaving Dublin at 9-30 a.m., and arriving at Lisburn Cemetery at 8 p.m.



This court was held yesterday before Mr. W. J. M'Murray, J.P. (presiding) and Augustus Turtle, J.P.

Police Cases.

Constable Callan summoned Thomas Mulholland, Benson Street, for drunkenness. First offence. Fined 2s 6d and costs.

Constable Donald summoned Hugh Donaghy, Market Lane, for indecent behaviour. The Constable said that defendant used obscene language to the attendant at the Picture House. He was outside the theatre at the time and was under the influence of drink.

Defendant, who appeared to be very ill, handed in his army discharge papers which showed that he had been shell-shocked and had been discharged from the army as physically unfit for further service. He said he did not remember anything about the incident about which the policeman complained. He was sorry if he had insulted anybody.

The case was adjourned for six months.

Sergeant Duffy summoned Andrew Maguire for drunkenness on the "22nd March."

Defendant said he was summoned for being drunk on the 22nd March, and asked to appear on the 6th. (Laughter.)

The Chairman -- 22nd February is the date I have got here.

Mr. Wellington Young (taking defendant's summons) -- Have you any objection to this being amended?

Defendant -- Oh, no; not whenever I am here now. (Laughter.)

Maguire was fined 2s 6d and costs.

Sergeant Duffy summoned Esther M'Grath for indecent behaviour on 15th January. A fine of 5s was imposed.

Both Sides Fined.

Maggie Gilmour summoned Isabella Willis for indecent behaviour towards her on the public street, and Willis brought a cross-case for a similar offence. Mary Williamson also summoned Isabella Willis for assault, and the latter cross-summoned.

Mr. H. A. Maginess appeared for Willis and Mr. Joseph Allen for other defendants. After hearing short evidence which was of a most unsavoury and obnoxious character, their worships imposed a fine of 2s 6d in each case.

Transfer of a Spirit License.

On the application of Mr. Lockhart, a transfer of a spirit license for premises in Smithfield was granted James M'Larnon, who has leased the premises from John M'Ilroy. The police offered no objection.

Railway Prosecution.

The G.N. Railway summoned James Lappin, a worker at Aldergrove, for travelling between Ballinderry and Crumlin stations without having paid his fare and for intent to fraud.

Mr. Wellington Young prosecuted.

Albert M'Donald, checker at Ballinderry station and the defendant came off the 6-15 train from Crumlin and produced an out-of-date ticket.

The defendant, replying to Mr. Young, said he was not in time to purchase a ticket on that occasion. He earned £2 6s a week.

Defendant was fined 10s and 20s costs.

Cycling on Dublin Road Footpath.

The following defendants were fined for cycling on the Dublin Road footpath:-- Samuel Graham, 5s; Richard Spence, 5s; Robert Bunting, 2s 6d; Samuel M'Cann, and Thomas Stewart, 2s 6d. In Bunting's case, defendant stated that the Dublin Road was in a wretched condition, and next to impossible to cycle on. Samuel M'Cann said he only went on the footpath about one hundred yards to escape a patch of stones. The footpath was slack at the time.



The famous 10th-century Irish relic called "Clog-an-Air" (bell of gold) is to be sold by auction at Messrs. Christie's on Thursday. The bell, which according to tradition descended from heaven, ringing loudly, to St. Senan, and which was popularly supposed to possess the gift of detecting a liar, has been in the possession of a County Clare family from time immemorial.


^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 14 March, 1919


PATTERSON -- March 13 (suddenly), at 33 Bow Street, Lisburn, William G., beloved husband of Annie Patterson. Funeral to Lisburn Cemetery to-morrow (Saturday) afternoon, at 3-30.





-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --



1791. -- Theobold Wolfe Tone founded the first Society of United Irishmen in Belfast.

1795. -- The Society of United Irishmen reorganized as a secret society. Formerly its stated object was an honourable one, from this forward its real aim was to overthrow the Government and establish a republic.

1796. -- Rev Snowden Cupples officiated as rector of the Cathedral from 1796 to 1835.

1797. -- Four soldiers were executed on Blaris Moor for treasonable practices.

1798. -- Blaris Moor was a vast military encampment. In 1689 and 1690 Blaris was also occupied by Duke Schomberg's troops.

1798. -- In the towns of Belfast, Lisburn, and Carrickfergus the disaffected and United Irishmen were awed into submission by their numerous garrisons, yet several zealous adherents from these towns passed into the country and were actively engaged in the insurgent ranks.

1798. -- The different yeomanry corps on the Hertford Estate amounted to about 1,000 men, two troops of cavalry and nine companies of infantry. Lisburn also in 1780 supplied its quota to the volunteers.

1798. -- Population about 4,000. Cotton spinning, muslin weaving and linen manufacture carried on. The three tanyards in the town were owned respectively by George Whitla, Thomas Beatty, and Clegg and M'Collum. The Lisburn Brewery had much celebrity for its superior ales.

1798. -- Harry Munro was born in Lisburn, May, 1758. When in his fifteenth year, he was taught linen weaving, and later was a buyer of linen webbs. He was a member of the Established Church. In 1796 he became a member of the Society of United Irishmen. He commanded the rebel army at Ballynahinch on June 13th, and after its defeat was captured and executed in the Market Square, Lisburn on June 17, 1798.

Munro was hanged and afterwards beheaded. The scaffold was erected in the Market Square, almost opposite Munro's house, close to the south west corner of the premises now occupied by Messrs. Duncan and Sons. The corner house was then in possession of James Ward, a printer and bookseller, and on the ledge of an upper window of this house part of the scaffolding rested. Three other men were executed in Lisburn about me same time.

1801. -- Alexander Turney Stewart, millionaire and philanthropist, was born at Red Hill, Lissue, Lisburn, in 1801. He emigrated to New York in 1818, where a few years later he opened his first dry-goods store. His charities were numerous yet at his death in 1876 he left some £8,000,000. His body was stolen in 1878, and restored to his widow three years after, on the payment of £4,000 through a lawyer.

1803. -- Heterogenea, or Medley. By John Moore Johnston. This volume, aptly named by its author, "A Medley," embraced within its varied contents a history of Lisburn and district. It was printed in Downpatrick in the year 1803.

1804. -- Robert Owenson's theatrical company gave performances 1803-1804, at a theatre improvised out of a large hayloft in Bow Street, situate in the rere of Mr. Stewart's house, opposite the new road to Hillsborough, Owenson's daughters afterwards became Lady Morgan, and Lady Clarke, and a young actress of the company -- Miss O'Neill -- became Lady Beecher. Lady Morgan was author of the "Wild Irish Girl," and numerous other works of fiction.

1804. -- Wm. Brownlow and Co. opened their bank in Lisburn, but apparently closed it almost immediately afterwards and recommenced business in Lurgan.

1805. -- Hugh M'Call, born in Chapel Hill, Lisburn, 1805, died in the town of his nativity, 1897. Wrote several works of great local interest and was a voluminous contributor to the daily press.

1807. -- The Cathedral, when re-built after the fire of 1707, was minus the spire.

This was added by the second Marquis of Hertford, in 1807. Since then, from its lofty height, the curfew bell has sounded forth nightly at 9 o'clock, 100 strokes, marking the ancient custom and the hour.

1814. -- Lough Neagh completely frozen over and so thick was the ice, that Colonel Heyland went across on horseback from Crumlin, water-foot to Rams Island.

1814. -- James M'Kowen, the Lambeg poet, a clever and popular writer of verse. Born at Lambeg, 1814, died in Lisburn, 1889. He wrote over the signature of "Kitty Connor," and was the author of "The Ould Irish Jig."

1819. -- A directory and history of Lisburn was published by Thomas Bradshaw.

1821. -- Population of Lisburn, 4,684.

1823. -- Hilden Thread Mills, established. The work was previously carried on at Plantation from the year 1784.

1824. -- The Northern Banking Co. established with a capital of £500,000.

1824. -- Pigot and Co. published their City of Dublin and Hibernian Directory. It contains a short historical sketch of Lisburn and a directory of the inhabitants.

1826. -- The Belfast Banking Co. established with a capital of £500,000. Now amalgamated with the London City and Midland Bank.

1827. -- Ballinderry church erected at a cost of £2,000. The Marquis of Hertford contributing half the amount.

1830. -- Magheragall church re-built. The old church was destroyed in 1641

1831. -- Population of Lisburn, 5,745

1832. -- Organ presented to the Cathedral by the Marquis of Hertford.

1834. -- Henry Bayly published a topographical and historical account of Lisburn with a poem on the same.

1835. -- The Northern Bank opened in Lisburn. The name of the first manager is not now available. H. J. Manley appointed in 1842, R. H. Bland. 1875, John Preston, 1878, William Young, 1910.

1835. -- Robert Stewart and Sons, yarn and thread manufacturers, established. Absorbed by the Linen Thread Co., Ltd., in 1899. George Duncan and Sons, Drapers, Market Square, established in 1835.

1835. -- Prior to this year the chief main roads about Lisburn were in existence, viz., the Belfast, Belsize, Antrim, Moira, Ballinderry and Dublin Roads.

1835. -- Dean Stannus, rector of the Cathedral, 1835-1876.

1836. -- The Ulster Banking Co. established with a capital of £1,000,000. Now amalgamated with the London County and Westminster Bank.

1836. -- Sir Robert Hart, of Chinese fame, born in Portadown. His father afterwards resided for a time at Hillsborough, and later at Ravarnette.

1836. -- First News-room opened in Lisburn, Wm. Graham, chairman; John Millar, treasurer; Hugh M'Call, secretary. 84 members.

1839. -- The year of the "Big Wind." Over all Great Britain and Ireland the destruction done was dreadful, and not least in Ulster. In December, 1894, a violent storm raged over the North of Ireland, Hilden and Ravarnette Mill Chimneys were blown down and a house unroofed in Market Square.

1839. -- The section of the Ulster Railway between Belfast and Lisburn opened. The first train started from Belfast at 7 o'clock in the morning. Large crowds assembled to witness the start. At various parts along the line multitudes were collected, and at Lisburn the train was greeted with enthusiastic cheers by a numerous concourse of people.

1839. -- Railway Street was originally known as Jackson's Lane, and it was only after the Railway reached Lisburn in 1839, that it gradually came to be known by its present name.

1841. -- Lisburn Union Workhouse opened for the reception of paupers. Closed as a workhouse in 1918, and the inmates transferred to Lurgan Union.

1842. -- Christ Church, or as it was frequent called, the New Church, was erected in 1842, and later considerably enlarged and improved. Adjoining the Church grounds are the Nicholson Memorial Schools, built in 1864, by Mrs. Nicholson in memory of her children, one of whom was the illustrious General John Nicholson of Indian fame.

(To be continued)




Dear boys and girls,

Badges are as common as blackberries now-a-days. The war has been the means of adding greatly to their number. Who is prouder of his badge than the boy-scout. The badge is the outward sign to all whom it may concern that the wearer is -- well, something, that everybody is not. The boy-scout has his triple pledge, as exemplified by his badge. Serve God; honour the King; do a good turn every day. The badge I am thinking of is a triple one, too -- "the dear little shamrock of Ireland." Historians differ as to where St. Patrick was born, but it is generally held to have been in Dumbarton, that he first saw the light. From here at the age of sixteen he was captured in a raid, and carried to the north of Ireland, fired with a resolve to convert his heathen countrymen to the Christian faith. He used, as you know, the three-leaved shamrock, as a little object lesson, to give his hearers an idea of the nature of the true God. Now as to what exactly was the shamrock he made use of, "doctors differ." Some say it was the Dutch clover; others hint that it may have been the common wood-sorrel, but in any case it does not spoil the story. As loyal Irish boys and girls, we claim St. Patrick as a true Irishman. St. Patrick's cross appears in another triple combination -- the Union Jack. It was added to the flags of St. George and St. Andrew in the year 1801. Our flag has gained fresh and undying lustre to its name these, last four years, and its motto, "Quis separabit," has been borne through many a battlefield. So that when we think of March 17th; St. Patrick; and the shamrock; let our thoughts go back to an Ireland of a ruder time, when the "dear little plant' taught our forefathers -- a good lesson.

     Through Erin's isle,
     To sport a while,
As love and valour wandered.
     With wit, the sprite,
     Whose quiver bright,
A thousand arrows squandered;
     Where'er they pass,
     A triple grass
Shoots up with dew-drops streaming.
     As softly green
     As emeralds seen,
Through, purest crystal gleaming!

O the shamrock, the green immortal shamrock!
     Chosen leaf
     Of bard and chief.
Old Erin's native shamrock!

     Says Valour, "See
     They spring for me,
Those leafy gems of morning!"
     Says Love, "No, no,
     For me they grow,
My fragrant path adorning!"
     But Wit perceives,
     The triple leaves,
And cries, "Oh! do not sever
     A type that blends
     Three god-like friends,
Lore, Valour, Wit for ever!"

To the shamrock, the green immortal shamrock!
     Chosen leaf
     of bard and chief,
Old Erin's native shamrock!


Bar to M.C. -- The bar won by Lieut. Simon Logan, Lisburn, to his Military Cross was gazetted this week.



Much regret was occasioned in Lisburn and district yesterday by the death of Mr. W. G. Patterson, grocer and provision merchant, Bow Street, which occurred with tragic suddenness shortly before the dinner hour. Mr. Patterson, it appears, had been feeling unwell for some time past; but he remained on his feet in an endeavour to fight off the disease. Pneumonia superveued, however, and carried him away in a very short time. He leaves a young wife and family to mourn, his early demise.

The funeral takes place to Lisburn Cemetery to-morrow (Saturday) at 3-30 p.m.



The monthly court was held on Wednesday, Before Mr. E. J. Charley, J.P. Mr. T. J. English, C.P.S., was in attendance

James A. Blythe, Clonevin Park, Lisburn summoned Wm. Dickson and James Kilpatrick, Fortfield,, Dunmurry, for alleged damage to a fence.

Mr. John T. M'Connell, solicitor, appeared for the complainant. In reply to Mr. M'Connell, complainant stated he had the grazing of the Dunmurry Golf Links and that he was annoyed by parties breaking down and destroying the fences with the result that his sheep strayed all over the country. He wanted to put a stop to it.

William J. Colborn, caretaker of the golf links, stated than the 4th inst., he saw the defendants carrying sticks away which they had pulled out of the fence.

Mr. Alexander Coey admitted the offence in so far as his nephew, William Dickson was concerned, and undertook to repair the fence and he would see that his nephew was not there again. The other defendant did not appear.

Mr. M'Connell, in addressing the Bench said that as the offence had been admitted Mr. Blythe had instructed him not to press for a heavy penalty as there were other parties more guilty than the present defendants. A small fine would meet the case, but it must be understood that in any future proceedings he would ask for the maximum penalty to be imposed.

The defendants were each fined in 1s and 5s costs, in addition to the ordinary court costs.



At the fortnightly meeting of Lisburn Board of Guardians on Tuesday, Mr. R. M'Comb, J.P. (chairman) presiding.

Mr. John M'Harg said that before proreeding with the business he wished to propose a resolution, and was sure that all present would believe in the sentiments in it. It was:

That we, the Lisburn Board of Guardians, having learned with the deepest sorrow of the death, after a brief illness, of Captain Phillip C. R. Keightley, the gallant son of our esteemed chairman, Lady Keightley, desire at this, our first opportunity in meeting assembled to offer our heart-felt condolence to her ladyship and the members of her family in the great bereavement they have sustained by the loss of one so much beloved by all who knew him, and who had rendered such valuable service to his King and Country in the hour of need.

Mr. T. M'Connell said he had a melancholy pleasure in seconding the resolution. The death of Captain Keightley was a big loss to the country. It was sad to think that this fine young officer, who had been out at the front fighting for the past three years, should be stricken down and lose his young life while home on leave.

The resolution was then passed, the members rising and standing in respectful sympathy.


^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 21 March, 1919


HAYES -- March 16, at Elmside Villas, Saintfield Road, Lisburn, Thomas Hayes, and was interred in Belfast City Cemetery on Tuesday, 18th inst. Inserted by his sorrowing Family.

MARTIN -- March 16, at Beechgrove, Lambeg, Lisburn, James, aged 20 years, son of John and Isabella Martin, and was interred in Magheragall Churchyard on Tuesday, 18th inst.

WILSON -- March 16, at 44, Castle Street, Lisburn, George Wilson, aged 85 years, and was interred in Drumbo on Tuesday, 18th inst.

Roll of Honour

CORKEN -- March 13, in a Military Hospital at Calais, Philip Corken, Mechanical Transport Corps, eldest son of Mrs. Corken, 31 Magdala Street, Belfast, and formerly of Lisburn, aged 21 years.


To the numerous kind friends and sympathisers who sent letters of condolence, the members of First Lisburn Presbyterian Church Choir for their beautiful wreath, and all those who paid a last tribute of respect to the memory of my dear husband, I desire to tender the sincere and grateful thanks of myself and family. Mrs. PATTERSON. 33 Bow Street, Lisburn.





-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --



1842. -- Largymore National School, Hill Hall Road, erected by Captain Bolton. Enlarged by Sir Richard Wallace in 1874 and 1881. In 1901 placed under charge, of the Cathedral. The old buildings were taken down in 1906, and new premises erected at a cost of some £2,000.

1842. -- The Diocese of Dromore united with Down and Connor.

1842. -- The third Marquis of Hertford died in 1842. He was the original of the Marquis of Steyne in "Vanity Fair," and Lord Monmouth in "Coningsby." The fourth Marquis died in 1870. He was known from 1822 till 1842 as Earl of Yarmouth. With the exception of a short visit in 1845, by Richard, fourth Marquis, neither he nor his father ever visited the Irish estate between 1822 and 1870.

1849. -- Lambeg Church built on the site of an ancient monastery.

1850. -- Samuel Kennedy Cowan born at Lisburn 1850, died 1918. A prolific writer of verse.

1850. -- James Watson, of Brookhill, "The Young Commodore," died in 1850, aged 88 years.

1853. -- The Friends' Meeting House, Railway Street, rebuilt. Prior to that date a meeting house stood on practically the same site, and it is on record that it was there previous to 1707.

1854. -- Lisburn Cricket Club entered into possession of their present ground. In 1884 the four granite boundary stones were placed in position defining its present limits.

1857. -- Brigadier-General John Nicholson was born in the year 1822. His early years were spent in Lisburn, and he always considered it as his home. He obtained a commission in the Bengal Infantry in 1839, and immediately proceeded to India. He was a great and glorious soldier, "the heroic Nicholson," as the men of his own generation loved to call him. He fell leading the assault at Delhi, September 23, 1857, and was buried close to the Kashmir gate. There is a tablet to his memory in the Cathedral, Lisburn.

1859. -- The year of "The Great Revival." Some write of it as "The Year of Grace," others as "The Year of Delusion." It was a year of extraordinary religious excitement, in which Lisburn participated to a remarkable degree.

1861. -- Prior to 1861 Pumps were relied on to meet the water requirements of the inhabitants.

1861. -- Population 7,484, houses 1,220. Population 1911, 12,388, houses 2,630. Lisburn urban district comprises 1,136 acres.

1863. -- Lisburn weavers to the number of 253, including men, women, and children, sailed on board the "Old Hickory" from the port of Belfast for America.

1863. -- Parliamentary contested election between John D. Barbour and Edward Wingfield Verner. Mr. Barbour was returned by a majority of six votes, but was unseated on petition soon after. Mr. Verner was then elected member and represented Lisburn until Sir Richard Wallace entered into possession of the Hertford estate. Sir Richard Wallace was returned unopposed in 1874, and represented the Borough till 1886, when it was absorbed in the South Division of County Antrim. W. G. E. Macartney was elected for South Antrim in 1886, Charles Curtis Craig in 1903. He has represented the constituency since.

1864. -- Railway Street Presbyterian Church opened for worship. Later it was enlarged and a number of necessary alterations made. Through the generosity of Mr. James Crossin, J.P., a valuable organ was installed in 1914. The Lecture Hall was erected in 1889. The Brownlee Memorial Schools, Wallace Avenue opened in 1913. The E.M.B. Memorial Hall, Hilden, erected in 1911.

1865. -- The Ulster Bank opened in Lisburn. First manager, John E. Morton, succeeded by George G. Tew, 1876; J. H. Vint, 1887; David Strain, 1889; James Carson, 1894; Thomas Malcomson, 1900. The new Bank House in Bow Street built 1913.

1867. -- The Island Spinning Company established, the premises having been purchased from J J. Richardson. The original spinning mill was erected in 1840. In 1871 an extensive weaving factory was added, and in 1882, the production of linen thread was introduced. The Island in the River Lagan on which the factory stands, was originally known as Vitriol Island.

1870. -- North Circular Road constructed by the Railway Company.

1871. -- The Orange Hall, Railway Street, opened.

1871. -- Population, 9,326.

1872. -- Action for libel. Walter T. Stannus v. "Northern Whig." The damages were laid by Mr. Stannus at £10,000, and resulted in a verdict for £100. The libel consisted in strictures made by the "Northern Whig", on Mr. Stannus's Management of the Hertford estate.

1872. -- Sir Richard Wallace, Bart., entered into possession of the Hertford Estates in Ireland. Sir George Hamilton Seymour contested with Sir Richard Wallace the will of the fourth Marquis of Hertford, who died in 1870. There were three trials. Pending appeal to the House of Lords a compromise was come to whereby Seymour accepted four hundred thousand pounds and allowed the Irish Estates to remain with Sir Richard Wallace. Sir Richard died in 1890, aged 72 years.

1874. -- The gross valuation of the town in 1874 was £15,339; 1884 £19,392; 1894 £25,459; 1905 £30,753; 1911 £32,526. 1917-1918 Town Rates including Poor Rate 9/3 in £.

1874. -- The Towns Improvement Act adopted in Lisburn.

1875. -- The Methodist Church, Belfast Rd., opened for worship. Previous to that date worship was observed in a building in Market Street. The original church there was built about the year 1774. The Rev. John Wesley officiated frequently in the Market Street building, and addressed immense multitudes in the Linen Hall (which stood on the site) of the Butter and Egg Market. Seymour Street National School was opened in 1886. In 1908 it was superseded by the William Foote Memorial Schools on the same site.

1876. -- Rev. Hartley Hodson, Rector of the Cathedral, 1876-1884.

1876. -- The "Lisburn Standard" was first published in 1876 by Wm. Johnston and later carried on by J. E. Reiley, in a house in Castle Street. Victor McMurray took it over in 1913 and removed the plant to Market Square.

1877. -- Bywash covered in. Prior to this date it was an open stream into which the sewerage of the town flowed. It started at Stewarts Mill, crossed Antrim Street, passed along McKeown St., which is now erected on top of new culvert, through the Bank Garden, crossed Bow Street near the Ulster Bank, then into Smithfield, and thence via the Gas Works into the canal. The stream from the Park, which crosses the railway and Bachelors' Walk, joins the Byewash near the Bank Garden.

1877. -- Level crossing over the railway lines at end of Railway Street discontinued, and the Boyne Bridge built.

1877. -- Sidepaths flagged at a cost of some £3,300.

1878. -- New Cemetery, Dublin Road, opened. Additional land acquired in 1900. The first person interred was Mr. William John Knox, Railway Street, September, 1878, who died when on a visit to Paris at the invitation of Sir Richard Wallace.

1880. -- The Union Bridge over the Lagan, connecting the Counties of Antrim and Down, opened. It replaced an old narrow structure on the same site.

1880. -- The Intermediate School, Antrim Road, founded by Sir Richard Wallace.

1881. -- Population, 11,083.

1883. -- William Barbour & Sons, Limited thread manufacturers, incorporated as a limited company. In 1784 John Ban hour, a native of Paisley, erected a small mill at the Plantation. In 1823 he was succeeded by his two sons, John and William. William removed to Hilden and, twelve years later, purchased the original business at the Plantation, and removed the plant to the works at Hilden. William died in 1875, and the management of the now extensive works passed to his sons. In 1898 the firm joined with other Irish, Scotch, and English thread manufacturing firms, forming the Linen Thread Co., Limited.

1883. -- The Courthouse, Railway Street, built by Sir Richard Wallace at a cost of £4,000.

1884. -- "Lays from Lisnagarvey" published by Thomas Campbell, Low Road, Lisburn.

1884. -- Sir Richard Wallace presented to the town the "Wallace Park," containing 28 acres. Along the side of the railway, in the Park, is the "Dean's Walk," so called from having been planted by Dean Stannus, one time agent to the Marquis of Hertford and Rector of the Cathedral. Sir Richard constructed the main road through the Park, the bandstand, the park rangers' lodges, and the entrance gates and approaches. The pond in the Park was not in the original grant, but was acquired latter from Lady Wallace when the Council took over from her the water rights. Later, in 1899, Sir John Murray Scott presented the "Castle Gardens," adjoining the Cathedral grounds, to the town. They contain the ruins of the old Conway Castle, a beautiful lime-tree walk, a monument to Sir Richard Wallace, and a gun captured at Sebastopol.

1884. -- Canon W. D. Pounden, Rector of the Cathedral, 1884-1917.

1885. -- Thompson Memorial Home opened. A home for aged and incurable people of both sexes. Erected to the memory of William Thompson, M.D., surgeon of the County Antrim Infirmary for almost half a century.

1889. -- Rebuilding the Assembly Rooms completed. The old Market House occupied the lower portion of the old Assembly Rooms.

1888. -- Alexander Boyd & Company's premises erected at the corner of Railway Street, opposite the Northern Bank.

1890. -- The Temperance Institute erected. Sir Richard Wallace gave the site free. The building and furnishing cost some £3,500.

1893. -- The water and market rights acquired from Lady Wallace. About 1901 the Courthouse, Assembly Rooms and Town Hall (Estate Office) (were purchased from Sir John Murray Scott. The markets reconstructed and remodelled about the year 1896.

1894. -- Post Office, Railway Street, erected.

1894. -- From 1894 forward the Wallace estate gradually passed into the hands of the tenants, the holdings being bought by occupiers on favourable terms under the Irish Land Commission. Head rents and ground rents in the town of Lisburn were also disposed of by the office to occupiers' or owners at twenty years' purchase.

(To be continued.)




The death took place at his residence, Castle Street, Lisburn, on Saturday morning of Mr. George Wilson, who belonged to an old Lisburn family. Mr. Wilson, who was 86 years of age, had a long and honourable connection with the conduct of public affairs in the town. He was one of the shrewdest representatives of the old Town Commissioners, and, later on, he took a prominent part in the business of the Urban Council. Owing to infirmity, caused by rheumatism, he had not been present at any of the meetings of the Council for several months past, and latterly he was unable to go out-doors at all. He was Presbyterian, and was one of the leading members of First Lisburn Church. In politics he was a Liberal Unionist. His favourite amusement was chess, and there were few better exponents on the game. He leaves a widow and nine of a family to mourn his loss. One of his sons is in America, another in New Zealand, while the youngest and only one in this country is Captain Joseph G. Wilson, Royal Air Force.

The funeral took place on Tuesday to the family burying-ground, Drumbo. The cortege was a large and representative one, several coming from a distance to join in paying the last tribute to the deceased. Prior to the funeral a service was held in the house by the Rev. J. C. Breakey, who also conducted the burial service. Capt. J. G. Wilson managed to get leave from his military duties, just reaching home in time for the funeral. Amongst the other chief mourners were -- George Wilson (nephew), Norman M'Lean, and Robert Grange (sons-in-law).

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


Another death which caused much sorrow in town was that of Mr. Thomas Hayes, which occurred at his residence, Elmside Villas, Saintfield Road, on Sunday. Mr, Hayes was for twenty-four years in the employment of the Island Spinning Company as chief engineer, and was very popular with all there, from the managing director downwards. He took a keen interest in our soldiers, and was chairman of the Local War Pensions Committee. The County Antrim Infirmary had in him a most loyal supporter, and he was chairman of the new Workpeople's Committee in connection with that institution.

At the monthly meeting of the Committee of Management of the Infirmary on Wednesday, Mr. Clarke said they were all sorry to learn of the death of Mr. Hayes, who was chairman of the Workpeople's Committee in connection with the Infirmary. Mr. Hayes was a very nice man, and took a great deal of interest in the Infirmary through the Workpeople's Committee.

The Chairman -- At our last joint meeting a letter of sympathy was sent to Mr. Hayes. We are all very sorry to hear of his death.

Mr. Clarke -- He was twenty-four years in the Island with us, and he was a very useful man.

Mr. Hanna -- I used to meet him at the Pensions Committee, and, without saying anything against the other members, I believe he was the most intelligent member we had.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


After an illness which lasted for more than a year Mr. James Martin, Beechgrove, Lambeg, died on Sunday last in his twentieth year, to the grief and regret of his family and a host of friends. The funeral took place to Magheragall Churchyard on Tuesday, the large cortege testifying to the high regard in which deceased was held. The chief mourners were:-- Mr. John Martin (father), Mr. William R. Martin (uncle), Messrs. John Martin, Samuel Martin, and Joseph Martin (brothers). A service was conducted in the house by the Rev. Chancellor Banks and Revs. Dundas and Lilburn, while Rev. Chancellor Banks, Rev. Dundas, and Rev. Samuel Mayes officiated at the graveside. There were four beautiful wreaths sent -- "In affectionate remembrance of our dear James," from all at home; "In affectionate remembrance," from Hilda; "In deepest sympathy," from Uncle William and family; "With deepest sympathy," from the officers and members of Brookhill L.O.L. No. 770.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


Yet another death it is our sad duty to chronicle this week is that of a young soldier, who, after serving nearly four years in France, did not live to reach home again after the victory had been won. We refer to Private Philip Corken, motor mechanic, Mechanical Transport Corps, who while on his way home to be demobilised took a severe attack of rheumatism, and was obliged to enter the 35th General Hospital, Calais. Here every care and attention was paid him, but meningitis supervened, with the result that this young soldier passed away quietly in his sleep on Thursday, 13th inst., a few hours before the arrival of his brother William, who had gone specially over to France on receiving a telegram from the hospital authorities. Private Corken, who was within three months of his twenty-second year, was buried with full military honours in a beautiful cemetery not far from the beach at Calais on Monday morning.

Prior to enlisting deceased was employed by Messrs. Harry Ferguson, Ltd., Belfast. He was the eldest son of Mr. Philip Corken, formerly of Lisburn, and Mrs. Corken, Magdala Street, Belfast. Deceased had many friends in Lisburn, who will sincerely regret to learn of his death.



This Court was held yesterday, before Messrs. Robert Griffith, J.P.; Hugh J. Larmor, J.P.; W. J. M'Murray, J.P.; John M'Gonnell, J.P.; and Augustus Turtle, J.P.

District-Inspector Gregory and Mr. T. S. English, C.P.S., were in attendance.


Constable Newman charged James Murnaghan with being drunk and disorderly on 13th inst.

Complainant said that he had been assaulted by the defendant, who was in uniform. The police were being given a good deal of trouble occasionally by some demobilised soldiers, who, when in uniform, seemed to imagine that they could do as they liked. While the police gave the soldiers every possible consideration, at the same time they could not tolerate being abused.

Defendant, who did not appear when the case was called, was fined 10s. and costs. Subsequently he came in, expressed his great regret for what had happened, and said he had apologised to the constable.

The Chairman said the Magistrates could not see their way to alter their decision.

Alleged Indecent Behaviour.

William Hill, Millbrook, summoned Rose M'Cutcheon, Barrack Street, for indecent behaviour towards him on 5th inst. Mrs. M'Cutcheon, in a cross-summons, charged William Hill with assaulting her.

Mr. Joseph Allen, solicitor, appeared for Hill, and Mr. H. A. Maginess, solicitor, for M'Cutcheon.

From the evidence it appeared that the trouble arose out of some children throwing stones, which, it was alleged, injured property in which Hill was interested as a tenant.

Their Worships adjourned the case against Mrs. M'Cutcheon for three months, and dismissed her case against Hill. They also warned parents to exercise proper supervision over their children's conduct.

Possession Case.

Hugh M'Cord sought possession of a dwelling-house in the occupation of Mrs. M'Cutcheon and her husband in Barrack Street.

Mr. Allen appeared for the applicant, and Mr. Maginess for the M'Cutcheons. The Magistrates gave a decree for possession.

Irish Education Act.

Parents named Logan and Anderson were, on the application of Mr. R. M'Creight, fined 1s. and costs for not keeping their children regularly at school.




At County Antrim Assizes on Friday -- before his Honour the Hon. Mr. Justice Moore -- two men named Patrick Burns and Patrick Maguire were charged with the larceny of £20 in money, a cheque for £10, and a purse, the property of Elizabeth Hanna, publican, Dublin Road, Lisburn, on the 14th January, 1919.

Mr. George Hill Smith, K.C., and Mr. George C. Brett (instructed by Mr. J. R. Moorhead) appeared for the prosecution. The accused were not legally represented.

Evidence having been heard, the jury found the accused guilty.

His Lordship said £19 found on the accused would be returned to the owner. If Burns got sureties he would be allowed out under the Probation of Offenders Act. Maguire, who had been really responsible for the robbery, would have to go to jail for three calendar months.

On Monday Burns stated that he was unable to get bail, and he was ordered three calendar months imprisonment from the 15th January.




Addressing the Grand Jury at the opening of the Commission of Assize for County Antrim at Belfast, on Friday, the Hon. Mr. Justice Monro said it was always a great pleasure to him when events were so ordered that he had the honour of presiding in that court as Crown Judge, but it certainly added to the pleasure when he found that the state of affairs in that county was so very satisfactory, as it was at that moment, when they were met to discharge whatever duties appertained to them in that court.

In a large community of nearly 200,000 they had not a single offence against the person to dispose of, and there were only five bills to go before them, involving seven persons charged with minor offences against property. That was a very satisfactory state of affairs for a community of that size; and, as the county inspector had pointed out to him, it was the county in Ireland in which the ratio of police force was the lowest.

In addition to that he found that among minor offences there had been a most extraordinary decrease following a decrease in drunkenness. In 1917 there were 1,071 cases of drunkenness, and in 1918 that had diminished practically by half, there being only 592.

That was a very encouraging symptom, and they might congratulate themselves on such a state of affairs.




In the Record Court at County Antrim Assizes on Saturday -- before the Right Hon. Mr. Justice Dodd -- the Antrim County Council (respondents) appealed against a decree given at Lisburn Quarter Sessions for £90 and costs in favour of Robert Campbell, Rosemount Cottage, Dunmurry, farmer, who had claimed £125 16s. 3d. for compensation in respect of the destruction by fire of a stack of oats at Dunmurry on 12th September last.

Mr. H. M. Thompson (instructed by Mr. T. M. Greer) represented the Antrim County Council, Mr. Wm. Beattie (instructed by Mr. D. B. Simpson) was for the Lisburn Rural Council, and Mr. T. W. Brown, K.C., M.P. (instructed by Mr. W. G. Maginnis) represented the respondent.

Evidence having been given, his Lordship, in affirming the decree, said he had had some little doubt about the amount at first, but the learned Recorder had gone extremely carefully into it, and he adopted his figures. He dismissed the appeal, with costs.


^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 28 March, 1919


RAY -- March 27, to Major and Mrs. Denton de la Cour Ray, 32 Botanic Avenue, Belfast -- a daughter.


MACGREGOR--THOMPSON -- March 26, at Centenary Methodist Church, St. Stephen's Green, Dublin, by the Rev. B. E. Gentleman, Lieutenant Robert Peddie MacGregor, M.C., R.I.R., eldest son of the late Mr. G. G. MacGregor, Bachelors' Walk, Lisburn, to Florence Ireen, elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thompson, 13 Grosvenor Road, Rathgar, Dublin.


DAVEY -- March 26 (suddenly), at 17 Wellington Park, Belfast, Reverend Charles Davey, D.D., minister of Fisherwick Church.





-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --



1897. -- The new Water Works at Pond Park constructed at a cost of about £35,000. A small reservoir on the same site, called "Boomer's Reservoir," was made in 1886 as an auxiliary to "Duncan's Reservoir," which was constructed in 1861. The small reservoir in the Wallace Park is of ancient date, and was there considerably over a century ago. The place where it stands was known as "Bason Hill," and the pipes from it supplying some houses in the town were made of wood.

1898. -- The Roman Catholic Church, Chapel Hill, was originally built about the year 1794, and was superseded, on the same site, in 1898 by the present edifice. Previous to 1794 worship was conducted in a building which stood on the south side of Bow Street, immediately opposite the end of Antrim Street. St. Joseph's Hall built in 1889.

1898. -- The County Councils Act came into force. On January 16, 1899 a new election of Commissioners took place under the name of Urban Councillors.

1900. -- Wallace Avenue opened, connecting Railway Street with the Belfast Road, and passing through the private grounds of Sir Richard Wallace's Castle, built in 1880. Clonevin Avenue, connecting the Antrim Road with the Magherleave Road. Graham Gardens, or Wardsborough Road, connecting Railway Street with Bow Street and Bachelors' Walk, opened in same year.

1900. -- Sloan Street Presbyterian Church opened for public worship. The cost of site and building amounted to almost £3,000.

1900. -- George St.George, M.D., chairman, Lisburn Urban District Council; 1901-1902-1903, Geo. B. Wilkins; 1904, James A. Hanna; 1903-1906-1907, George B. Wilkins; 1908, James Pelan; 1909-1910, Harold Barbour; 1911, John G. Ferguson; 1912-1913-1914, W. J. M'Murray; 1915, Robert Griffith; 1916, Thomas Sinclair; 1917, James M'Nally; 1918-1919, William Davis.

1903. -- Hill Hall Presbyterian Church opened for worship. About 1740 a thatched church was erected on the same site, rebuilt in 1826, enlarged in 1868.

1905. -- Lisburn Golf Club formed.

1906. -- A comprehensive and exhaustive history of Lisburn and its institutions compiled by Mr. W. J. Greene in connection with the Largymore School Bazaar.

1906. -- New sewage works and filter beds at New Holland completed at a cost of some £65,000.

1910. -- Sport in Lisburn -- Past and Present, compiled and edited by R. C. Bannister and R. V. Hamilton

1911. -- The Coronation Flagstaff erected in the Wallace Park.

1911. -- Lisburn Gas Company taken over, by the Urban District Council. Cost of purchase, including law costs, &c., about £40,000.

1912. -- Sir John E. A. Murray Scott, one time secretary to Sir Richard Wallace, inherited a vast fortune from Lady Wallace. He died in 1912, aged 65 years. It was largely due to his advice and influence that Lady Wallace bequeathed the "Hertford Collection" to the nation. Lady Wallace died in 1897.

1913. -- The Ulster Volunteer Force drilling and preparing to resist, if necessary by force, the imposition of Home Rule on Ulster. Friday night, April 24, 1914, the "Mountjoy" made Larne Harbour, and discharged her cargo of rifles and ammunition. Hundreds of motor cars and motor lorries were in readiness, and these distributed the munitions all over Ulster before breakfast time the next morning.

1913. -- Robert Redman Belshaw died in 1913 at an advanced age. His forbears lived for generations in the Parish of Magheragall. He was a noted book collector, and under his will a valuable collection of books and pamphlets relating to Ireland passed into possession of the Linenhall Library, Belfast. His contributions to the "Lisburn Standard" on local subjects extended over a long series of years, and were interesting and valuable.

1913. -- The Sackville case came before the Courts in London, whereby Lady Sackville, under the will of Sir John Murray Scott, benefited to the extent of some £500,000. This vast sum of money came to Sir John practically, it may be said, from the Hertford estate in Ireland.

1914. -- Technical School, Castle Street, opened. The Lisburn Urban Council procured for this purpose the Castle built by Sir Richard Wallace in 1880. It cost Sir Richard, to build, some £20,000, and was acquired by the Council for £2,000 free of all encumbrances.

1916. -- A considerable portion of the Wallace Park was let to plot holders and cultivated for the production of food.

1916. -- The Ulster Division, on July 1st,. made the ever memorable and glorious charge at Thiepval, when Captain C. C. Craig, M.P., and Major Jenkins were taken prisoners of war and Captain Cecil Ewart killed. The 11th Royal Irish Rifles, composed largely of Lisburn men, bore itself gallantly, and suffered severely on that day.

1918. -- On November 11th the Great European War may be said to have ended. On that day, at eleven o'clock, the armistice was signed, and Great Britain and her Allies emerged triumphant from the titanic struggle, which had extended over period of four years and three months.

1918. -- Canon Carmody appointed Rector of the Cathedral.

1919. -- The Belfast Bank, Ltd., opened a branch in Bow Street. Mr. J. A. Cooke, manager.

Next Week:-- "Market Square Presbyterian Church."



Mentioned In "John Bull."

In the current issue of "John Bull" the following open letter to Dr. Murphy appears: --

My Dear Doc., -- I hare followed with heated blood the discussion at a recent meeting of the Guardians concerning the refusal of Mr. Scott, a teetotalling member of the Finance Committee to sign a requisition for whisky in a case of double pneumonia. "Disgraceful and intolerable" was your description of this scandalous pumpuritanism. "I wouldn't sign a requisition for whisky neither for Dr. Murphy nor for any man in Christendom," declared this bigoted crank. But how comes it there was no other member of the Finance Committee present to do what they must know their colleague in any emergency of life or death would refuse to do?




Welcome Home to Rev. Robert Davey.

The congregation of Dunmurry Presbyterian Church met recently in Trinity School room to welcome back their minister, Rev. Robert Davey, B.A., who had been away in France for the last four months as a Y.M.C.A. worker. Tea was provided by the ladies of the congregation from 7 till 8 o'clock, after which the chair was occupied by Mr. John Wilkin, J.P., who, in his remarks, spoke of the good done by Mr. Davey since coming to Dunmurry, and trusted that he and Mrs. Davey would be long spared to continue it.

Mr. Samuel Johnston, the treasurer, also spoke very highly of Mr. Davey's work, and said the congregation had cleared off the debt on the manse during the minister's absence, raising over £300 for this object. Mr. Samuel Gibson, J.P., representing the committee, also, paid a very high tribute to Mr. and Mrs. Daveys work.

Mr. Hamilton McCleery, representing the session; Revs. Dodds, Rankin, and Hall also spoke of their appreciation of Mr. and Mrs. Davey's work in Dunmurry.

Mr. Davey, in reply stated he was not deserving of all the good things that had been said about him, and he trusted the experience he had gained among the brave boys at the front would be of great service to him in his work at home, and he thanked them all for working so hard during his absence.

Mr. Samuel Gibson, on behalf of the ladies of the congregation made a presentation of a silver salver and a wallet of Treasury notes to Mrs. Davey, who briefly thanked them for their kindness.

The following contributed to the musical part of the programme -- Miss Dodds, Miss Anderson, Miss Mullen, Miss S. Gibson, and Mr. R. Burns, A.L.C.M., Miss Spence and Miss Nora Higginson acted as accompanists. A hearty vote of thanks to the chairman and the lady tea-makers was moved by Mr. A. Henry Anderson, seconded by Mr. W. J. Johnston, and passer with acclamation, after which the singing of the National Anthem brought a very enjoyable meeting to a close.



(Sent in by Dora)

Our sister Jane is just eighteen, and has one ruling passion--
She'd sacrifice -- oh! anything, to dress in lastest fashion.
There's great excitement in the house: I'm pushed and knocked about,
'Cause I'm only her little brother, and -- well, sister's going out!

I see her at the mirror now, she's been there quite a while
Doing up her hair, she says, in quite the latest style.
With hairpins, combs, and curling-tongs, her mouth drawn in a pout,
There's often a smell of singeing when our sister's going out.

Oh! Great relief, the ordeal's o'er, I'm free to run about.
      I'll go and do my lessons now,
            Thank goodness, sister's out.




A pretty wedding took place in the Centenary Methodist Church, St. Stephen's Green, Dublin, on Wednesday, the contracting parties being Lieut. Robert P. MacGregor, M.C., R.I.R., eldest son of Mrs. MacGregor, Bachelors' Walk, Lisburn, and Miss Florence Thompson, elder daughter of Mr. Henry Thompson and Mrs. Thompson, Grosvenor Road, Rathgar, Dublin.

The bridesmaids, who were most becomingly gowned, were Miss Doris Thompson, sister of the bride, and Miss Ruby Whyte, while two brother officers, Captain William Homers, M.C., R.I.R., and Second-Lieut. Gordon Harvey, R.I.R., attended the bridegroom. The ceremony was performed by Rev. B. E. Gentleman, uncle of the bride.

A reception was held at the residence of the bride's parents, and later in the day the happy pair left for London, where the honeymoon will be spent.



Roses in Front of Every Cross.

How our soldiers' cemeteries are becoming beautiful gardens was described by Captain A. Hill, M.A., botanical adviser to the Imperial War Graves Commission, at the Royal Horticultural Society's meeting.

Illustrating the feeling in France, he said four French girls in 1917, quite unasked, cleaned and weeded an English cemetery, and were thanked by the British general.

Transforming groups of rough mounds near the front lines into gardens, he said, meant heavy work. One such task occupied 50 men for two months, with a light railway to carry new soil suitable for flowers. The work has shown the love of gardening among our troops.

The simplest means, chiefly the sowing of annuals, have been adopted. Sunflowers, London pride, cornflowers, and old English flowers are used extensively. Each cross will have a rose bush in front of it.

The results are greatly appreciated hy the soldiers, who constantly visit the cemeteries in search of graves of comrades.

In Italy our cemeteries are small, but beautiful, many of them surrounded by grass and date palms and commanding a view of the sea. It is intended to plant Italian cypress wherever possible.





For the first time in its honoured history Railway Street Presbyterian Church is at last free of debt. The congregation made this great pull-out in memory of the members who fell in the field of battle, and Her. R. W. Hamilton was able to make the very gratifying announcement at the annual social meeting in connection with the church, which was held on Wednesday, 19th inst. There was a particularly large attendance. After tea,

The Rev. Mr. Hamilton, who occupied the chair, said he was glad to see so many present at their social meeting, and especially did he welcome heartily those men who had been out at the front. (Hear, hear.) They were thankful that the soldiers present were spared to come home again, and they as a congregation would be glad to do all they could to help them and show them that they had still a living interest in their welfare. (Applause.) About 125 had gone out from that church, of whom, they regretted, 18 had fallen; they honored their memory and sympathised with the bereaved relatives. Nine others were made prisoners of war, but had all returned safe and well. (Applause.) The congregation not only rejoiced when the armistice was announced, but decided to commemorate that historic event in a most commendable way -- by the wiping out of the church debt. In that connection it was right to say that great honour was due to Mr. George Duncan, who took off his coat in a very thorough manner and proceeded to extract money from them all; with the result that he had in a short time raised £700, or £100 more than the debt amounted to. (Applause.) As a result of that effort, and for the first time in its history, Railway Street Church was now free of debt and had a little surplus over. (Applause.) That, he thought, was a unique experience.

Rev. Mr. Hamilton, proceeding, said it was the intention to put up some fitting and worthy memorial to the men of the congregation who had fought so nobly in the battlefield, and the idea was that it should be in the form of a scroll, with all the names inscribed thereon, and placed in the vestibule of the church. In memory of those who had fallen they hoped to have something more elaborate -- something worthy of the heroes who had laid down their lives in a righteous cause, without thought of themselves. It would probably be in the form of a memorial window. He might also mention publicly, for it was not a secret now, that the members of a family long and prominently connected with that church had expressed a desire to put in a memorial window in memory of their parents, who, during their life time, were a source of great strength there.

In conclusion, Mr. Hamilton, after dwelling on the desirability of cultivation of the spirit of prayer, called upon Mr. George Duncan to make a statement relative to the debt extinction scheme.

Mr. Duncan said that a few months ago there was a suggestion brought before the committee that, as the congregation had been in debt for some years, they should, as a thankoffering for the armistice, make an effort to have it completely wiped out, and he was glad to say that the suggestion was approved. As a start, four families kindly offered to give one-third of the amount required, if the other members of the congregation would subscribe the rest. Three offers of £25 each followed, and then he started out two weeks before Christmas -- not an opportune time to ask people for money -- to try and get in the remainder. He was agreeably surprised with the splendid reception he got at every house, even from people he did not know, but who evidently knew him. In no instance did he get a refusal. (Applause.) The total sum subscribed or promised by the 246 families visited was £681 4s. 1d., £26 of which remains to be paid. After referring to the Praise Fund, which they wanted brought up to £70 per annum, Mr. Duncan acknowledged the great assistance he received from the Rev. Mr. Hamilton, without which he believed he could not have done so well; and he thanked the subscribers for their generous help and the kindness he had received from them. (Applause.)

During the evening congratulatory adresses were given by the Rev. Mr. Haire, Captains Payton, Gibson, and M'Nutt, chaplains to the forces. The three latter endorsed the description of Mr. Hamilton given by the Rev. Mr. Haire -- that he was a man of great influence, due to his goodness, and that he stood for all that was best in the church.

Anthems were contributed by the choir (which was augmented), and solos by Mrs. Boyd and Mr. Williams.

An item of special interest was the making of the handsome presentations to Mr. and Mrs. Lamont in appreciation of their valued services in the Sunday and day schools.

Mr. D. B. Simpson, secretary, read the addresses; and Mrs. M'Ketterick gracefully handed over the gifts.



Captain Gwynn speaking at a comrades of war meeting in Dublin, said that of all soldiers who fought in the war the greatest sacrifices were made by the Irish, because when they got back they got no thanks for what they had done. It was up to them to see that no soldier was bullied or intimidated into surrendering the ideals for which he fought. The soldiers from Ireland had included men of the most diverse political opinions, yet the Irish divisions lay shoulder to shoulder in the trenches and went over shoulder to shoulder at Messines. They who had served could bring back into peace, the spirit of comradeship and mutual respect between Irishmen.



To the Editor of the "Lisburn Standard"

Sir -- The utilisation of the V.A.D. organisation in time of peace is a question that is now arousing interest and being discussed in many quarters. Under the present charter of the British Red Cross Society -- as generally understood -- its V.A.D. members can only undertake work for the sick and wounded in war. The charter of the Order of St. John, on the other hand, provides greater scope for its members. The British Red Cross Society has now taken steps for the enlargement of its charter to include all kinds of health and welfare work. We have, no doubt that public opinion will support us in our efforts to extend the splendid service rendered by our V.A.D.'s during the war to the assistance of the civil population in peace time. The Central Joint V.A.D. Committee have, therefore, made an appeal to V.A.D. members to-remain in their detachments with a view to the large demands for their services which we know will be made -- and are already being made -- on all sides. In the meantime, V.A.D, members may undertake work for the civilian sick and in the direction of infant and child welfare. Members must, of course, have the permission of their commandant to undertake any such work, and in case of doubt commandants should consult the in county director and obtain his sanction. Members undertaking infant and child welfare work or nursing in civilian hospitals may wear their V.A.D. uniform, but in no case may V.A.D. uniform be worn if a member is doing private nursing for payment. -- Yours, &c.,

     ROBERT J. KENNEDY, Director-in-Chief for Ulster.
     W. GIBSON,
     C. GORDON EWART, Hon. Secs.
16, Donegall Square South, Belfast,
     20th March, 1919.




In the Record Court at Belfast Assizes on Wednesday -- before Mr. Justice Moore and a common Jury -- Elizabeth Ann Rollins, Carnkelly, Glenavy, brought an action for breach of promise of marriage and assault against Albert Beckett, Legatariff, Upper Ballinderry, cattle dealer. The promise of marriage was alleged to have been made on 4th June, 1918, and the assault was said to have occurred on the 14th of June of the same year. The defendant denied the promise and the assault.

Mr. James Williamson, K.C., and Mr. William Lowry (instructed by Messrs. M'Ildowie & Sons) appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr. Richard Best, K.C.; Mr. T. Brown, K.C., M.P.; and Mr. W. O. Hume (instructed by Mr. W. G. Maginess) represented the defendant.

Mr. Williamson, in opening the case, said plaintiff was about twenty-two years of age, and he could promise that there would be nothing of a romantic or interesting character in the action. Counsel described the case as one of the saddest he had ever come across. It was a case in which the man first promised to marry the girl, and pressing his promise, and adding that they were to become man and wife, took advantage of her. Defendant was one of a family of nine sons. On or about the 14th May plaintiff was going home from Lisburn on her bicycle, and passed defendant, who was driving cattle on the road. He asked her to dismount, and she did so. They met again, and defendant renewed his protests of affection. He said that he was giving up another young lady, and that "he would like to marry plaintiff." Counsel added that it was not that he relied on the promise, which was repeated from time to time, but also on some correspondence. Counsel then read a letter from plaintiff to defendant, in, which he opened:--

Dear Lizzie. -- Just a line to let you know that I arrived safely in Forfarshire. I was watching for you coming out of town all the afternoon, but I was not in long until you came past. I think I will be home on Saturday, and will see you on Sunday. Hoping this will find you as I am.

Counsel added that this epistle, which was sent from defendant in Scotland, concluded with "Your loving Albert."

"If out of sight not out of mind," commented counsel, who proceeded to explain that the letter was not received from a relation, but an eligible young man.

A postcard, which depicted a man kissing a girl, was next produced by counsel, who said it had been sent by plaintiff from Lurgan. There are some appropriate verses on the postcard, proceeded counsel, but these were not enough, and defendant also wrote on the card in the following terms:--

Hoping you are as well as this (alluding to the kissing performance, said counsel). For when we meet we will have a kiss, and when we part we will have another. Good-bye, love.

Counsel again asked the jury to draw inferences from this correspondence, and said that plaintiff and defendant had often been seen walking together.

Mr. Brown said he was prepared to meet the case for June and no other. He was not prepared to meet the case for May which had come as a surprise to him. The statement of claim mentioned June, and not May.

Mr. Williamson explained that it was clerical error, and asked his Lordship to amend the date in the statement of claim.

His Lordship -- I will not. He would adjourn the case until the next assizes, plaintiff to pay the costs of that day's proceedings, and in the mean time to be at liberty to amend the statement of claim as might be advised, the defendant also to be at liberty to amend the defence.

This closed the case.


^ top of page