Lisburn Standard - Friday, 4 July, 1919

Roll of Honour

M'KEOWN -- Missing since 29th March, 1918, now reported killed in action at St. Quentin, Rifleman William M'Keown, 11th R.I.R. Deeply regretted by his Sisters, Uncle and Aunt, CHARLES and PHENIA FINLAY. Hillhall, Lisburn.

M'KEOWN -- Missing since 29th March, 1918, now reported kilted in action, Rifleman Wm. M'Keown, 11th R.I.R. (South Antrim Volunteers). Sadly missed by his Brother and Sister-in-law, FRANK and JANE M'KEOWN. 21 Ballynahinch Rd., Lisburn.

LECKEY -- In loving memory of my dear brother, No. 2163, 11th Batt. R.I.R., Rifleman Wm. Leckey, killed in action July 1st, 1916. Deeply regretted by his brother and Sister-in-law, JAMES and MARY LECKEY. 113 Gregg Street, Lisburn.

In Memoriam

JOHNSTON -- In fond and loving memory of our dear sister, Jane, who departed this life on 29th June, 1918, and was interred in Lisburn Cemetery. Deeply regretted. Inserted by her loving Sisters, Mrs. HOLMES, 5 Low Road Lisburn, and Mrs. CONNERY, 36 Solway Street, Belfast; also her Nieces, JANE CLARKE & ANNIE HOLMES.





-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --





In February, 1685, James II. assumed the Crown, which four years later he was forced to abdicate; during those years Ireland became again the scene of war and bloodshed. The Duke of Schomberg, who had landed at Groomsport with an army of 10,000 men, detachments of which had been dispersed through different parts of Ulster, made Lisburn his headquarters, and for six months, he occupied the house nearly opposite the Castle Street entrance to the Cathedral, which had previously been occupied by Bishop Jeremy Taylor. A new dynasty was now at hand. Early on the morning of the 14th of June, 1690, bonfires blazed on the mountain tops of Down and Antrim, and special messengers were dispatched from Belfast to circulate the news throughout the country, that King William with his bodyguard and a large number of troops had arrived at Carrickfergus. He next proceeded to Belfast, and remained there several days. On the morning of the 19th of June the King and his followers left Belfast on their way to Dundalk. On arriving at Lambeg, and seeing a person standing at one of the cottage doors, King William, who rode at the head of the troop, inquired, in a language mixed with the French idiom, which of the roads led to Lisburn and Hillsboro'. Mr. Rene Bulmer (Boomer), to whom the question was addressed, replied in genuine French. Evidently gratified at meeting so unexpectedly a native of Gaul, his Majesty entered into a friendly conversation with him for several minutes, relative to his native place, and the circumstances that led to his exile, and after paying a very gallant compliment to the young and handsome wife of his informant, who had come out to see the soldiers, the Royal traveller shook hands with each of them and passed on to Lisburn with his troops.

When the troops reached Lisburn His Majesty rested some hours, and reviewed the different battalions stationed there. He dined with Captain Johnston, who was left in charge during the temporary absence of the Duke (who was on military duty in Belfast), at the house of William Edmundson, a member of the Society of Friends, whose house stood on the site now occupied by the local branch of the Northern Bank. A very interesting incident occurred at this time. The local Presbyterian congregation held worship in their tiny temple situated on the Moira Road, in the south end of the town. The pastor of the congregation was the Rev. Alexander M'Cracken, a high-class theologian who, with two other men of mark in the Presbytery, had some months before been deputed to go over to London with an address of welcome from the Presbyterians of lower Ulster to his Majesty King William. The journey by sea and land from Donaghadee to London in those days occupied three weeks, and the King was much gratified by the attention thus paid him. Mr. M'Cracken called on his Majesty in Lisburn, and was received with all the genial spirit that formed the social character of that great Monarch.

From Lisburn he proceeded to Hillsboro'; and in the evening he was waited on by a deputation, consisting of Rev. A. M'Cracken, pastor of Lisburn; Rev. Patrick Adair, of Belfast; Rev. A. Hamilton, of Armagh; and other ministers of the Presbyterian Church. Having learned from those gentlemen more than he had previously known of the state of the Church and the poverty that existed among many sections of its people, he promised to increase the amount of the Regium Donum to the sum of twelve hundred pounds; and, promptly acting on that impulse, he wrote an order for the first year's annuity. Amongst the many interesting association that cling round the walls of the old Hillsboro' Castle then may also be seen the bedroom occupied by King William during his sojourn in that old town.

When the country had settled down after the stormy days of the Revolution, till the latter part of the eighteenth century, the energies of the inhabitants of Lisburn seem to have been mainly directed to the development of the different branches of the linen industry. Under the fostering care of the Crommelins, the Delacherois, the Richardsons, the Barbours, the Coulsons, and many others, its manufacture reached a degree of excellence that had never been attained before. During the short reign of William the Third, who died in 1702, every encouragement was given by him to those who were interested in the linen trade. He granted a large sum to Mr. Crommelin to enable him to develop the cultivation of flax and the weaving and bleaching of linen. Colonel Popham Seymour-Conway also granted that gentleman a valuable plot of ground near the County Down Bridge, where he built his weaving factory, and members of the French fugitives found employment there.

In 1707

A serious calamity befell the inhabitants of Lisburn (as it has since been celled) by the total destruction of the town by fire, which happened accidentally. The Cathedral was burned, and also the Castle built by Lord Conway.

All that now remains of that ancient stronghold is the surrounding wall and its ancient gateway with the date, 1677, engraven on its topmost stone. A portion of the ground adjoining the walls is still called "The Rounds," from the time the watchful sentries walked their "weary rounds" to prevent old Lisnagarvey from being surprised by the enemy. In a house occupied at that time by a Mr. Ward, and now in the occupation of Messrs. Duncan & Sons, Ltd., which was the first one erected after the fire, a stone is inserted in the front wall, which bears this inscription:--

                               I.H.I., 1708.
           The year above this house erected,
           The town was burned ye year before:
           People therein may be directed --
           God hath judgments still in store,
           And that they do not Him provoke,
           To give to them a second stroke,
   The builder also doth desire at expiration of his lease,
   The landlord living at that time may think upon the builder's case.

Better class houses were afterwards erected and have been occupied at different times by the families of Traills, Calbecks, Smyth, Bolton, Richardson, Hogg, Cupples, Stannus, Nicholsons, Pim and Barbour, the descendants of whom are still in the neighbourhood.

About the beginning of last century Robert Knox, a Scotch cutler, settled in Lisnagarvey, the linen weavers then used an awkward instrument called a "shears" for the purpose of cutting the ends of their warp yarn, and also for dressing the selvages of their cloth. Mr. Knox was often called upon to sharpen and repair those instruments, and while doing so he began to see that much improvement could be made in their form and usefulness. Acting on this idea he produced something new and the article rapidly found favour with the weavers of the neighbourhood. But the fame of Knox's shears did not end here. Orders came in from other provinces, and at length the cutlers of Manchester and York made purchases to such an extent that long before the old gentleman's death he could not meet the demand for his work.

His son and grandson inherited the fame he had gained for himself, and some of the present inhabitants still remember when the latter carried on his useful business. There was also an ingenious person named Kelly, who became such an adept in the making of mounted shuttles that the name "Kelly" stamped on each shuttle proved a guarantee that the work came from the hands of a master of the art. Mark Henry Dupré, one of the Huguenots, was also renowned as a maker of reeds.

In 1740,

The then Marquis of Hertford granted leases of his whole estate for three lives, or forty-one years, at from two to five or six shillings an acre, which proved a great incentive to the improvement of buildings, planting orchards, and cultivation of the land generally, and the prosperity of its inhabitants. In 1762, his successor was appointed Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, with Viscount Beauchamp, his son, acting as Chief Secretary. During his reign at Dublin Castle, Lord Hertford rendered valuable services to the linen trade, and was a liberal patron of the damask manufactory which was some time after established at Lisburn. The industry was started in Lisburn by the Messrs. Coulson, and the production of their looms is celebrated over the civilised world. The factories have been visited at different times by many distinguished personages.

On the 11th May, 1762, Mr. John Williamson, a bleacher, of Lambeg, had a bye-law passed by the Trustees of the Linen Board, that all brown linens should be sealed so as to certify that each webb was of the proper length, breadth, and workmanship.

Under the erroneous impression that he was the foe of the work-people, the malcontent weavers determined to wreak their vengeance on that gentleman. With this intention three or four hundred of them paraded the streets of Lisburn, armed with blackthorn sticks, and railing in opprobrious terms against Williamson. For the time being business was partially suspended in the town, and the sale of webs in the Linen Hall was given up for the day. The mob failing to meet the object of their vengeance went off to Lambeg House, the seat of Mr. Williamson, and on arriving there smashed the windows and destroyed some valuable furniture: Lord Hillsboro', who was also in sympathy with Mr. Williamson, having heard of the riotous proceedings, rode immediately into Lisburn, and placing himself at he head of a troop of soldiers then quartered in the town, set off for Lambeg and routed the mob. On returning from thence, and after the soldiers had gone back to the barracks, his Lordship was attacked in the street, and might have been roughly handled by the half drunken fellows, had it not been for a number of Maze farmers and Lisburn men who came to the rescue, and the noble earl escaped further attempts at violence. In 1784, Mr. John Barbour erected at Plantation a Linen Thread Manufactory, farther reference to which will be found under the industries of Lisburn. In 1789, a Mr. Wallace erected a Cotton Mill in a court off Castle Street, Lisburn, and had the concern filled with the most modern machinery. Having heard much of the discoveries of Watt and Boulton in steam power, he accordingly set off to Glasgow to examine the principle.

Being convinced of its superiority, he purchased a fifteen horse-power engine, engaged competent mechanics to set it up, and returned home. After overcoming many preliminary difficulties at length all the arrangements were completed, and Mr. Wallace enjoyed the triumph of seeing the first steam engine that ever whirled in the North of Ireland driving the spindles of the Lisburn Cotton Mill.

(To be continued)



Nothing to do with the Strike.

On Saturday forenoon a special court was held in Lisburn before Mr. Augustus Turtle, J.P., when a demobolised soldier named Mark Hasley was charged with having maliciously broken a plate-glass window in the premises of Menary Bros., drapers, etc., Market Square, on the previous evening.

From the evidence of Constable Kelly it appeared that at 8-30 the defendant came to him and said "I broke Menary's window, take me to the police barracks." Witness asked him why he had done it, to which defendant replied -- "It has nothing to do with the strike."

His Worship sent the defendant forward for trial to the assizes, consenting to accept bail -- himself in £10 and two sureties of £5 each.

The value of the window was estimated at £10.



Memorial Tablet unveiled at Dunmurry.

A service was held in St. Colman's Church, Dunmurry, on Sunday, to the memory of Captain H. P. Beggs, R.I.R., second son of Mr. and Mrs. S. Beggs, Chestnut Villa. There was a large attendance of the parishioners, and friends of deceased. The Rev. C. C. Manning, M.C., M.A., conducted the service and dedicated a beautiful memorial tablet erected in the church by his parents, brother (Captain S. P. Beggs, M.C.), and sister (Mrs. W. S. Ritchie). The tablet is of marble, and contains the following inscription:--

To the beloved memory of Capt. Henry Parker Beggs,
8th Bat. R.I.R., Ulster Division,
Reported " Missing, Believed Killed,", at Thiepval,
France, July 1st, 1916, aged 26 years.
Faithful unto death.

Dr. Gaussen, in the absence of Mr. Wm. Coates (rector's churchwarden, and Mr. J. C. Gray (people's churchwarden) unveiled the tablet.

The Rev. Mr. Manning taking as his text "Blessed are they that mourn," from Matthew v.4, referred to the fine character of the late Captain Beggs, who was beloved and respected by all who knew him, and who in sport and athletics always played the game.



Belated Official Report.

Rifleman Wm. M'Keown, 11th R.I.R. (South Antrim Volunteers), Lisburn, of whom nothing could be learned since his going over the top on 29th March, 1918, has this week been officially reported as killed in action.

Prior to volunteering early in 1915, Rifleman M'Keown worked at Glenmore. He went to France with the Ulster Division, and took part in the historic battle on 1st July, 1916. Following that he got home on leave twice.

His brother, Rifleman Frank M'Keown, Ballynahinch Road, Lisburn, now employed by the Lisburn News-Room, served in the same battalion. He got so badly wounded at Messines that he was invalided out of the army.



"The Warwickshire Advertiser" has the following paragraph, which will interest the people of Lisburn and neighbourhood:--

"An interesting wedding is shortly taking place between Captain Eric Pharazyn, only son of Mr. and Mrs. L. C . Pharazyn, of Ashley Gardens, and Miss Marjorie Eunice Airth Richardson, third daughter of Colonel and Mrs. Airth Richardson, of Longbridge Manor, Warwick."


^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 11 July, 1919


ALLEN -- JULY 7th, at Newmarch Street, Brecon, Wales, to Mrs. and Corporal Allen (late of Lisburn), a son.


MILLER -- June 27th, 1919, at her residence, Rose Cottage, Broughmore, Lisburn, Jane, widow of the late Robert Miller. Interred in family burying-ground, Broomhedge Churchyard, Sunday, Jane 29th. Deeply regretted by her sorrowing family.

M'KINSTRY -- June 29th, 1919, at "The Hill," Kilcorig, Lisburn, William John, dearly-beloved husband of Eliza M'Kinstry. Interred in family burying-ground, Magheragall Churchyard July 1st.





Owing to the kindness and generosity of Mr. Henry Musgrave, O.B.E., D.L., Belfast, and an old Lisburn man himself, Lisburn is to have a statue of Brigadier-General John Nicholson, of Indian Mutiny fame.

This interesting announcement was made at the monthly meeting of the Lisburn Urban Council (Mr. Wm. Davis, J.P., chairman, presiding), and came in the form of a letter from Mr. Musgrave's solicitors, Messrs. Charles and J. Black, Belfast, viz. --

Dear Sir -- Mr. Henry Musgrave instructs me to offer to erect in Lisburn a statue of General John Nicholson, a native of the town, and who was killed at the siege of Delhi. The statue will be a work of art and a feature in your town.

It will be executed by Mr. Pomeroy, M.A. It will portray General John Nicholson leading and encouraging his men, and will be about 8 feet high, on a pedestal 10 feet high. The base of the pedestal will be 6 feet square, and it is proposed that it should be surrounded by a single granite curb. The statue will be bronze, and the pedestal granite.

Mr. Pomeroy has visited Lisburn and considers the site in Market Square now occupied by the fountain the most suitable one for the statue. Mr. Musgrave, therefore, hopes that the Urban Council will agree to dedicate ground there as a site for the statue.

I may mention that if the Council accept Mr. Musgrave's offer the execution of the work will take about two years. The Town Clerk -- That's a very nice letter to get.

Mr. Hanna said Mr. Clarke knew more about the history of that matter than any other member, perhaps he would speak.

Mr. Clarke said that he had been cognisant for some years of Mr. Musgrave's intention to erect a statue to perpetuate the memory of General John Nicholson. Mr. Musgrave had mentioned the matter to him, and said he would leave instructions to his executors to have a statue erected, but he (Mr. Clarke) suggested that it was a pity Mr. Musgrave had not the statue erected during his lifetime. The matter came to a head when Mr. Pomeroy was over executing a statue of the Lord Mayor of Belfast, Mr. M'Mordie, and the result was that letter to the Council. Everyone knew that Mr. Musgrave was a Lisburn man, born in Lisburn, and that his father lived in Market Square. The monument would be a great ornament. It was a very nice offer, indeed, and he moved that the Council accept Mr. Musgrave's offer and return to that gentleman their most grateful thanks. (Hear, hear.) Regarding the site, he perfectly agreed that Market Square was the place for it. The fountain could be removed to some other site, to be arranged later.

Dr. St.George heartily seconded the motion. He had no objection to Market Square as the site; but it would not be nice to see old clothes and rags being sold at the feet of such a gallant soldier as General John Nicholson. It was because of the stalls in Market Square that the cannon which now graced Castle Gardens had been removed thither.

Mr. Clarke said he forgot to mention that he had interviewed Mr. Pomeroy and had seen a model of the proposed work. It was very beautiful indeed.

Mr. Hanna, in supporting the motion, said the offer was an event in the life of Lisburn, and characteristic of the Musgrave family. It always seemed to him that what Jerusalem was to the Jews, Lisburn was to the Musgraves.

The Town Solicitor said he was of opinion that the Council could legally grant the site mentioned.

The Chairman said Lisburn was under a great debt of gratitude to Mr. Musgrave. That last act of his was only in keeping with the traditions of the family, and Lisburn had every right to be proud of the name of Musgrave It would be nice to have a public statue of General Sir John Nicholson, who was looked upon as one of the greatest soldiers of the age in which be lived.

The motion was passed, and the Town Clerk was instructed to write accepting Mr. Musgrave's kind offer, and express the Council's grateful thanks.

The Heroic Nicholson.

"The Heroic Nicholson," as the men of his own generation loved to speak of him, was one of the outstanding figures in the Indian Mutiny. Born at Lisburn on 11th December, 1822, he was the eldest son of Dr. Alexander Nicholson, and a grandson of Mr. John Nicholson, of Stramore House, Gilford. His mother, Clara Hogg, of Lisburn, was a sister of the late Right Honourable Sir James Hogg, Bart., an ancestor of Lord Magheramorne. His father died of fever caught in the discharge of his professional duties in Dublin, and Mrs. Nicholson eventually returned to Lisburn. In his twelfth year John Nicholson was sent to the Royal School, Dungannon, and in February, 1839, he sailed for India, the scene of his great achievements and glorious death. The Nicholson memorial tablet in Lisburn Cathedral bears the following inscription, which was written by Sir Herbert Edwardes, the famous Indian General:--

The grave of Brigadier-General Nicholson, C.B., is beneath the fortress which, he died to take. This monument is erected by his mother to keep alive his memory and example among his country men. Comrades who loved and mourn him add the story of his life:-- He entered the army of the Honourable East India Company, in 1839, and served in four great wars -- Afghanistan, 1841-2; Satlaj, 1845-6: Punjab, 1848-9; India, 1857.

In the first he was an ensign; in the last Brigadier-General and a Companion of the Bath: in all a hero. Rare gifts had marked him for great things in peace and war. He had an iron mind and frame, a terrible courage, an indomitable will. His form seemed made for an army to behold; his heart, to meet the crisis of an empire; yet he was gentle exceedingly, most loving, most kind.

In all he thought and did, unselfish, earnest, plain, and true; indeed, a most noble man. In public affairs he was the pupil of the great and good Sir Henry Lawrence, and worthy of his master. Few took a greater share in either the conquest or government of the Punjab; perhaps none so great in both.

Soldier and civilian, he was a tower of strength; the type of the conquering race. Most fitly in the great siege of Delhi he led the first column to attack and carried the main breach. Dealing the deathblow to the greatest danger that ever threatened British India, most mournfully, most gloriously, in the moment of victory, he fell mortally wounded on the 14th, and died on the 23rd of September, 1857, aged only 34.

The late Field-Marshal Earl Robert in "Forty-one Years in India" wrote -- "Nicholson impressed me more profoundly than any man I have ever met before or have ever met since. He was the beau ideal of a soldier and a gentleman."

In the "Gazette" containing the list of honours conferred by Queen Victoria upon the heroes of Delhi, it was notified that Brigadier-General Nicholson, had he lived, would have been made a Knight Commander of the Bath.



This Court was held yesterday, before Messrs. Wm. Davis, J.P. (presiding), and Augustus Turtle, J.P.

Constable M'Donald summoned Peter Maginniss, Haslem's Lane, for drunkenness on the 4th inst. It was mentioned that defendant was a demobilised soldier, had joined up again, and had left for Russia. The case was withdrawn.

Constable M'Donald summoned James Mulholland, Benson Street, for indecent behaviour on the public street. The constable said that defendant, who was under the influence of drink, was throwing his arms around young girls on the street. When he interfered Mulholland called him a clown, and said that he were a man at all he would not be wearing the uniform he was.

By Mr. D. B. Simpson -- Mulholland had some drink taken. There were some girl pickets on the street at the time.

Mr. Simpson said it seemed that there were a number of young girl pickets at the time, and there was some joking. Anything Mulholland said was more or less of a joke. He was a most respectable man, and was very sorry for the whole thing.

A fine of 2s 6d and costs was imposed.

Sergt. Duffy summoned Mary Maginess, Piper Hill, for drunkenness on the 4th inst., and Constable Newman summoned same defendant for drunkenness on the 7th inst. Defendant had to be arrested.

A fine of 10s and costs was imposed in each case.

In Time for Maze Races.

Constable Fleming summoned a cripple named Philip Lynch for drunkenness in Graham's Gardens.

Defendant said he came from Portadown, and was going to Belfast.

District-Inspector Gregory -- He is here for the Maze Races, and here in good time.

Defendant was discharged on promising he would leave the town.

Transfer of Spirit Licence.

On the application of Mr. D. B. Simpson an ad interim transfer of a spirit licence was granted to Walter Ellis from Mrs. Waring in respect of premises in Smithfield.

Trouble in Bridge Street.

Mrs. Sarah Jefferson, Bridge Street, summoned Mrs. Rebecca Allen, Bridge St., for abusive language, and Mrs. Allen bought a cross-case against Mrs. Jefferson for a like offence. Children on both sides were also brought to court on summonses arising out of the same matter.

Mr. W. G. Maginess appeared for Mrs. Jefferson, and Mr. James Reade, B.L. (instructed by Mr. John Graham), for Mrs. Allen.

After patiently hearing evidence for over an hour, their Worships bound both women over to the peace in the sum of 10s each, holding that it was a case of six of one and half-a-dozen of the other.

The Chairman said that the conduct of the women was very unseemly, and was a very bad example to not only their own children but the children of the district.

Remanded in Custody.

Clara Molloy and Robt. Cai(-?-) charged by Sergeant Duffy with larceny, on the 9th inst., of a pair of spectacles and other articles from the registered lodging-house of Lizzie Dougan, Bridge Street.

Thee police asked for a remand for a week, and this was granted, prisoners, who stated they were unable to find bail, remaining in custody.

Motorist Fined.

John Dowling, Belfast, was prosecuted by District-Inspector Gregory for on 18th ult., driving a motor-car at an excessive rate in Bow Street.

Constable M'Donald said the car, when passing Mr. Young's drapery was, in his opinion, travelling at, about 25 miles an hour. There was a considerable number of persons on the street at the time.

Defendant said he did not remember any part of the road where he endangered anyone. He was very sorry if he had done anything wrong.

A fine of 5s. and costs was imposed.

Alleged Assaults.

Bernard Mulholland, Grand Street, summoned Minnie Wilson for assaulting his little boy, aged six years, on 6th inst. In a cross-summons, Miss Wilson charged Bernard Mulholland with, assaulting her.

Mr. W. G. Maginess appeared for Mulholland, and Mr. Joseph Allen for Wilson.

After hearing the evidence,

Their Worships dismissed both cases, holding that there were fault on both sides.



Yesterday afternoon considerable damage was done by fire to the beetling works of the Suffolk Linen Co., Ltd., Dunmurry. The outbreak occurred shortly after three o'clock, and the services of the Belfast Fire Brigade were requisitioned, two motor pumps being dispatched from the headquarters in Chichester Street and Ardoyne sub-station respectively. The flames had obtained a firm hold by the time the brigade arrived, and the building was practically gutted. The fire was extinguished in a couple of hours.


Lisburn Guardians' Bereavement. -- Lisburn Board of Guardians on Tuesday expressed condolence with Mr. Armstrong on the death of his mother, and Mr. Martin on the death of his son. Since the outbreak of war the latter has lost four sons, one killed at the front and three died at home.


^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 18 July, 1919


CROTHERS -- July, 14, 1919, at Bath Military Hospital, Sergeant W. J. Crothers, Royal Engineers. Dearly-loved husband of E. L. Crothers, "Clovelly," London Road, Wembley, England. His remains will be removed from Cabra, Hillsborough, for interment in the family burying-ground, Anahilt, at 3 p.m. to-day (Friday). At the river's crystal brink, Christ shall join each broken link. Inserted by his sorrowing wife, E. L. CROTHERS.

CROTHERS -- July, 14, 1919, at Bath Military Hospital, Sergeant W. J. Crothers, Royal Engineers, son of Mary and the late Wm. John Crothers, Cabra, Hillsborough. His remains will he removed from Cabra for interment in the family burying-ground, Anahilt, at 3 p.m. to-day (Friday). Oh, for the touch of a vanished hand, And the sound of a voice that is still. Inserted by his sorrowing Brother, JAMES CROTHERS.

In Memoriam

DALTON -- In sad and loving memory of my dear son Samuel, who died on July 20th, 1918 (result of an accident), and was interred in Gore Hill Cemetery, Wahroonga, Australia. Peace, perfect peace. Ever remembered by his loving Mother, Brothers, Sisters, and Uncle. Maze, Lisburn.



Lieut. L. M'Carthy, 10th Australian Batt., single-handed, killed 20 of the enemy and captured 5 machine guns, with 50 prisoners. He received the V.C. from the King on Friday.



The Home Secretary announces that the general early closing order under D.O.R.A. has been suspended for Friday, 18th inst. This enables shopkeepers to remain open as long as they please next Friday night to facilitate closing on peace celebration day.



With a cheque for 2 guineas to cover damage to her clothing the railway company rewarded Mrs. Quarterman, of Ascot, for running nearly a mile through a thunderstorm to warn a signalman that an embankment had given way, and that an up train, nearly due, would be wrecked if it came on.



At the County Down Assizes on Wednesday, before the Right Hon. Mr. Justice Pim, James H. Paull, otherwise Poland, labourer, Erenagh, surrendered to his bail, and pleaded not guilty to a serious offence against a 14-year-old girl, who since the alleged offence had been confined. The trial had been adjourned from the Summer Assizes, 1918, owing to the illness of the girl, and again from the Spring Assises last Mr. W. Beattie, B.L. (instructed by Messrs Johnston & M'Court) defended.

The prisoner was examined and offered a complete denial to the charge.

The jury returned a verdict of not guilty and his Lordship said he thought the jury had done right in view of the fact that the girl's story was uncorroborated. In discharging Paull his Lordship added, "I hope you are not really guilty."



Captain M'Call's Fine Work.

Wednesday evening's "Gazette" certifies the award of the Military Cross to the undernoted officer:--

T.-Capt. Maurice George Trant M'Call, 13th Bn. Yorks R.

During the attack by the enemy on Sred Mekrenga (Russia) on March 17, 1919, he was commanding the party covering our front line. Although both his flanks were turned by the enemy, he continued to put up such a stubborn defence that the enemy withdrew. He did fine work.

Captain M'Call is the third son of Mr. R. A. M'Call, K.C., London, and grandson of the late Mr. Hugh M'Call, Lisburn.



At the conclusion of their business at Down Assizes, the Grand Jury handed the following resolution to the Judge, to be forwarded by him to the proper authorities

Proposed by Colonel R. G. Sharman-Crawford, seconded by Mr. J. Milne Barbour, and resolved -- We, the Grand Jury of the County Down, express our admiration for the splendid conduct of the Royal Irish Constabulary in the discharge of their duties in the present trying and disturbed times, and our warm sympathy with the relatives of those who have lost their lives; in doing so.

His Lordship (Right Hon. Mr. Justice Pim) said he was delighted to receive the resolution. He did not think any words of his were necessary to add to the Grand Jury's appreciation of the patience, good humour, and splendid conduct of the police. Throughout the whole of their country that was as remarkable of the police as they could find in any country in the world. They were, all doing their duty like men most courageously.



Conditions of Issue.

Particulars of the British war medal, 1914-19, are given in an army order issued last night. The medal will be in silver and bronze, and the ribbon will be centre orange watered with stripes of white and black on each side and with borders of royal blue. Qualification for the silver medal -- Duty in a theatre of war or approved service overseas, of the United Kingdom between August 5, 1914, and November 11, 1918, by officers, warrant officers, attested non-commissioned officers and men of the British, Dominion, Colonial, and Indian military forces. Members of women's formations serving with forces, military hospital staffs, and members of recognised organisations who actually handled sick and wounded, and members of the duly recognised or authorised organisations. The medal in bronze will be granted to all British subjects who were enrolled in native labour corps units and served in theatres of war.





-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --





In the closing years of the eighteenth century the political horizon again assumed a stormy aspect which broke out in bloodshed and rebellion. In the year 1798, when many valuable lives of men were sacrificed, who with misguided zeal tried to ameliorate the condition of political injustice from which, they believed, their countrymen suffered by the oppressive laws of the English Government. The Volunteer Movement started about the year 1745, when the Scottish Highlanders threatened a descent on the North of Ireland. A meeting was held at the Donegall Arms, Belfast, and resolutions were passed for the defence of the coast. Soon after numbers of patriotic men offered their services from different parts of the neighbouring counties to join the Belfast men in repelling the invaders; but the great epoch of the Volunteers commenced in 1778, when suspicious-looking warships frequently visited the coasts of Antrim and Down. On the 27th March a meeting was held in Belfast. On that occasion it was resolved that the young men capable of bearing arms should enrol themselves in companies for the defence of their country against foreign invasion. Considerable enthusiasm was aroused by this movement and great stimulus was given to it in consequence of the famous American Paul Jones arriving in his frigate, "The Ranger," in Belfast Lough and attacking the English sloop of war, "Drake," sonic days afterwards. The "Drake" was disabled, and her Commander, Lieutenant Dobbs, a Lisburn man, lost his life during the engagement -- a tablet was afterwards erected to his memory in Lisburn Cathedral. Some years after the Volunteers were enrolled they began to use their power for political purposes and the repeal of certain laws which they believed, bore unjustly on the commercial and religious life of Ireland. On the 11th March, 1793, a proclamation for disarming the Volunteers was issued from Dublin Castle which caused great indignation against the Government, and ended in martial law being proclaimed throughout Ireland.

In March and October of the year 1791, meetings were held to carry out the idea of uniting Irishmen of all creeds and classes in one commas bond for the purpose of seeking a more equitable adjustment of constitutional laws -- thus arose the United Irishmen. During those troublesome times Lisburn became once more the centre of excitement and bloodshed. The Rev. Philip Johnston, of Ballymacash House, who, in the exercise of his magisterial duties, became so unpopular with the United men that at length, they conspired to take away his life. Several unsuccessful attempts were made for that purpose, and on a special occasion the intended victim escaped by the timely influence of one of the United Irishmen; but on the night of Saturday, the 8th of October, 1796, when leaving the house of a Lisburn friend with whom he had spent the evening, and as he was in the act of mounting his horse to proceed home, a man who had concealed himself behind the opposite wall, started up and fired a loaded pistol at the reverend gentleman, inflicting a slight wound on his left shoulder. Considerable indignation was aroused in Lisburn and the surrounding neighbourhood. Public meetings were held, and a public subscription list opened, which ended in a reward of one thousand pounds being offered for bringing the offender to justice; but even that large sum failed to bring out the least information on the subject. On the 23rd October, 1796, the Habeas Corpus Act was suspended, when soon after a number of merchants in Lisburn and other places were arrested on the charge of high treason. From 1796 to 1798 Ireland drifted steadily into the whirlpool of civil war. During those years the regular business of the country was neglected for the clandestine manufacture of arms and pikes that were to be used in the coming struggle. During the winter of 1797 and the following spring a Lisburn Whitesmith forged upwards of five hundred pikes, besides attending to his ordinary work.

Harry Munro.

The linen markets of Ulster were at this time attended by great numbers of buyers, and of these gentlemen none were more respected than Harry Munro, of Lisburn. He had been a member of the Lisburn Volunteers at the time of their disbandment, and afterwards joined the United Irishmen. He was a member of the Episcopal Church, a regular attender of the Sunday services at the Cathedral, and was highly respected by the rector and his curate.

In the month of May, 1798, preparations were made by the United men to take the field against the Government troops. The member who had been appointed to lead them declined at the last moment to act as commander, and on the night of Saturday, 9th June, a Belfast lawyer (legal adviser of the Society) called on Henry Munro, at his residence in Market Square, Lisburn. The attorney reported the refusal of the man who was appointed commander to take charge of the national army, and said that their only hope was that Munro would accept the command. At no period before this had Monro contemplated taking the field against the Royal troops, and, looking upon the call as a matter of honour, he accepted it without considering the magnitude of the responsibility he was about to undertake.

The Battle of Ballynahinch was fought on Wednesday, 13th June, and, as is well known, the insurgents were completely routed, and fled in all directions. The unfortunate general was among the last to leave the field. For several hours he roamed about the country, till early on Thursday morning he reached a farmhouse, and sought shelter there. Here he remained concealed for nearly two days, receiving great attention from his kind, hearted host. On Saturday morning, when dreading vengeance for concealing an outlaw, he told Munro that before daylight he must seek some other refuge. Munro set off, and at length ventured to take refuge in a small farmstead on the borders of Dromore, Co. Down. Here he met a man, to whom he offered £5 (all the money he had in his possession) and a small parcel of shirts if he would conceal him for a few days, until the Government offer of pardon to all rebels who gave up arms should be issued.

The man took the money, and offered to shelter the fugitive, but instead of doing so, he went to Hillsboro' and told the yeomanry of having Munro concealed in an outhouse. A guard immediately was sent with him, and the unfortunate Munro was taken prisoner, handcuffed, brought into Hillsborough, and thence to Lisburn, where he was confined for the night in a temporary prison. When his friends learned of his arrest the utmost sympathy was shown for him. His clothes were torn, and his health had suffered much from the fatigue he had undergone. Mr. George Whitla, a local cotton manufacturer sent him a full suit of clothes, while the rector, Rev. Dr. Cupples, who resided within a few doors of the guard-house had his meals regularly carried to him from the Rectory during the period of his confinement. On Monday, 17th June, the trial came on before a court-martial composed of officers belonging to the several regiments then quartered at Lisburn Barracks and Blaris camp. Only three witnesses were examined for the Crown, and the deposition that the prisoner had led the native troops at the recent battles being conclusive, the sentence of death was at once written out, and Henry Munro was ordered for execution.

The culprit was immediately informed that he had not long to live, and was told to make speedy preparation for the death that awaited him. At four o'clock Monro was brought out under a strong military guard. He begged to be allowed to go into the house of the Rector in order to receive the Sacrament. The request was granted, and, after partaking of the sacred rite, the procession again commenced, and the place of execution was reached, where a temporary gallows had been erected, nearly opposite the woollen drapery concern of which Munro was the proprietor. Monro exhibited perfect coolness without putting on the slightest bravado. While standing at the foot of the gallows he sought leave of the officer of the guard to speak to friend who lived near. Permission was granted, the friend sent for, and the soldiers thoughtfully stood back during the short conference. What he said on that occasion was never known, even by the nearest relation of the friend to whom he told it. After a short prayer he stepped on the ladder, when one of the steps gave way, and he fell. Recovering his balance in a moment, although having his arms firmly pinioned, he said "all right." On the ladder being adjusted, he went up with the rope round his neck; the ladder was removed by the executioner, and in a few moments all was over. As the body swung to and fro a low wail of sorrow told how bitterly the tragic end of their fellow townsmen was felt by the multitude that thronged the place of execution. Although his conduct was looked upon as that of the wildest and misguided patriotism, his political opponents, as well as his personal friends, mourned sincerely over the sad fate of the man whom every one respected as a worthy and amiable citizen. When the body had been taken down, the final vengeance of the law was carried out, orders having been given that the body should be decapitated, which was done, the hangman holding up the severed head and crying out "there is the head of a traitor." Three other men were hanged in Lisburn about the same time -- Dick Vincent, Geo. Crabbe, and Tom Armstrong, who suffered death on a lamp-post at the corner of Castle Street, opposite the market house. The heads of the four men were stuck on spikes, and placed at each corner of the market house.

Henry Munro's mother lived in Lisburn for many years after his death, and supported herself respectably by keeping a little shop, situated on the Sluice Bridge, in Bow Street. She survived the death of her son about seventeen years.

(To be continued.)


^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 25 July, 1919


M'ILDOWIE -- July 24, at a Private Nursing Home, George M'Ildowie, Solicitor, Elphinstone, Craigavad. Funeral strictly private. No flowers, by request.



Hour by hour a mother daily prayed
     "My Father, send my darling back to me,
Cover him with Thine almighty wings
     Whether on land or sea."

For well she knew on that wide battle plain.
     Where air was thick with poison, shell and fire.
To many would the summons come again
     Brave soldier come up higher.

For 'tis with thankful hearts we learn and know
     That many there who answered to the call
Were trusting in the blood of Jesus shed
     Once long ago for all.

The mother knew her boy, so brave and fair,
     Had early chosen well the better part,
For King and Country should it be he fell,
     God's soldier brave at heart.

Still on she prayed, "My Father, save my boy,
     Let not my heart in lonely sorrow mourn,
With Thine Almighty aid still guard and keep
     And mark his safe return."

The sun was setting red behind the hills,
     The shadows gathering o'er the dull-dyed earth,
Unsatisfied a spoiler sought his prey,
     The reaper we call Death.

The mother's boy lay wounded and in pain,
     A distance from his comrades, lone and still,
He prayed, "My Father, take me home to rest
     If it should be Thy will."

He thought of home and loved ones far away,
     Then from his eye he wiped away a tear,
Then in the gathering gloom two forms he spied,
     The cruel foe was near.

"I cannot move," he cried, "Oh! give me aid,"
     They stopped and gazed upon the boy-like form,
They left his feet unshod, and from his frame
     They took the garment warm.

The stars of God shone through the darkened sky,
     The lad still lay on through the night so cold,
But conscious still he prayed again for rest.
     Within the gates of gold.

And far away on sunny Afric's shore
     The mother prayed, "Dear Father, save my boy,
Bring him safe to home and friends again,
     Oh! give my heart this joy."

Of all on earth we long for, love and choose,
     The answer will be ours sometime somewhere.
One thing is never lost though much we lose,
     And that one thing is prayer.

The lad is saved, another of the foe
     Drew near as once again he cried for aid,
Love touches all and melts the hearts of men,
     God speaks, be not afraid.

A stimulant into his lipes they poured,
     And bore him gently, though a prisoner bound,
Into that alien land, from friends and home,
     A British doctor and a friend he found.

Now all is well, God heard the mother's prayer,
     And many such like miracles we trace,
Some call it chance, the Christian calls it God,
     The power that moves in every time and place.

And shall not they thus saved be wholly His,
     Their whole life, through obedient, glad and free
To tell the story through the whole wide earth
     The love that makes men free.

Beneath the banner of the blood-stained Cross
     To nobly stand where Satan's darts are hurled,
To fight and win the Kingdom for the Christ,
     Whose Cross shall sway the world.

Let troubled hearts be still, for God is love,
     We know He ever hears and answers prayer,
If not on earth, some time in Heaven above
     We'll find the answer there.

Thompson Memorial Home, Lisburn.





-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --





Macaulay, in his "History of England," pictures King William III., when he passed through Ireland, as thinking "how different an aspect that unhappy region would have presented if it had been blessed with such a government and such a religion as had made his native Holland the wonder of the world; how endless a succession of pleasure houses, tulip gardens, and dairy farms would have lined the road from Lisburn to Belfast; how many hundreds of barges would have been constantly passing up and down the Lagan." If Macaulay could see Lisburn at the present day perhaps he would think that it does not fall far short, if it does not exceed, the picturesque and prosperous condition which his fertile imagination had conjured up. The Union of England and Ireland was consummated, in 1800, and since that period the prosperity of Ireland has increased exceedingly.

The following is a description of Lisburn written about that time:-- "At present it contains about eight hundred houses neatly built of brick, forming three good streets, at the junction of which stands a good market house, with a ballroom over it, where an assembly is held every fortnight. The Church is large, with a good spire and set of bells, the gift of the present Marquis of Hertford. There is likewise a respectable body of Quakers, a large body of Presbyterians and Methodists, who have each an elegant Meeting-house, and some Roman Catholics, who have also a good Chapel. The trade of the town is very considerable, both in the manufacturing of linen and cotton and also in the shop-keeping line. The following gentlemen have elegant houses, viz.:-- Messrs. Hunter, Rogers, Crommelin, Delacherois, Roger Johnson-Smyth, Handcock, etc. Samuel Heron. Esq., has a good villa in the Castle Garden, from which there is fine view of the river and part of the County Down. The Linen Hall, erected at the expense of the Marquis of Hertford, is a large square court surrounded by a piazza of brick. There is a great market for linen, etc., held here every Tuesday. The present Marquis of Hertford, in 1796, built a very good shambles on a small rivulet in Smithfield. where a great number of black cattle are exposed for sale every Tuesday. The principal inns are kept by Mr. Samuel Waring and Mr. Shaw. Vitriol is made here at present (on the site of the Island Spinning Company) by Dr. Alexander Crawford, a physician of eminence. The works were erected first about thirty years ago by Messrs. Thomas Gregg and Waddell Cunningham, of Belfast. The town is supplied with water by pipes from a basin above it, where it is conveyed from the fountains in Castle Robin and the other mountains.

The streets are wide and well paved, and lighted with globe lamps at proper distances. The river Lagan is now navigable from Belfast to Lough Neagh by a new canal lately finished by Mr. Richard Owens, at the expense of the late Marquis of Donegal!.

Lisburn now returns one member to the Imperial Parliament since the Union. The officers of the Lisburn Cavalry are the Marquis of Hertford, William Smyth, S. Delacherois, James Fulton, and 64 men. The infantry officers are N. Delacherois, Wm. Coulson, and 150 men."

In the famine year of 1800, when the price of wheat in Mark Lane was 130s the quarter, and the retail price of oatmeal 10s the sieve of 20 lbs., John Handcock imported from Philadelphia 200 tons of Indian meal, the first sample of that article ever seen in Ulster. He also brought over 500 barrels of American flour, and both were sold at cost price to the more distressed families in Lisburn. Penal laws were then savage and merciless. The theft of goods to the value of 5s from any dwelling-house was punished with death. In 1811 Mr. Handcock's bleach greens in Lambeg had been broken into and three webs stolen. Knowing the penalty, he refused to prosecute the accused, and, with the aid of Mr. John M'Cance, of Suffolk, and other linen merchants, Sir Samuel Romilly, M.P., was induced to bring a Bill to the House of Commons for the milder punishment of bleach-green robbers. The measure passed, and from that time the crime gradually lessened in Ulster and is now unknown.

Mr. H. Betty, of Chapel Hill, Lisburn, was a linen merchant and bleacher. He was the father of W. Henry West Betty, born in 1791, and known in theatrical circles.

"The Young Roscius."

He became an adept in reciting Shakespeare in his ninth year, and in 1804 created the greatest sensation ever known in the theatrical world in London. Not far from Chapel Hill, in a small house in Bow Street, dwelt another celebrity, Sydney Owenson, who became Lady Morgan, the authoress of "The Novice of St. Dominick," "The Wild Irish Girl," and "St. Clair." Lisburn from time to time has been fortunate in having for its inhabitants men who, having ao abundance of this world's goods, were not forgetful of their poorer brethren, among whom were the Rev. Mr. Carleton, the interest of whose bequest is divided annually among poor householders of the town. An almshouse for eight poor widows was founded by the will of Mr. Williams in 1826, and six almshouses for as many poor widows were also founded by a member of the Traill family. In 1828 the town first elected Commissioners to look after the watching, lighting, and cleansing of the town, and four night watchmen were also appointed.

In 1845 an indignation meeting was held, the Marquis of Downshire in the chair; on one of the hills that rise above the station of the Great Northern Railway. Mr. James Watson, of Brookhill, had been deprived of the Commission of the Peace, as well as the Deputy-Lieutenancy of the County, on account of having attended a meeting of the Orange leaders early in July.

"The Old Commodore,"

as Mr. Watson was called, had been a steady friend of law and order for half a century. As a captain of a local corps of yeomanry he had led one section of the loyal troops at the battle of Antrim, in June, 1798, where his horse was shot under him, and he himself narrowly escaped death. Residing as he did at Brookhill and heaping up the fame of a country gentleman, a worthy magistrate, and an enthusiastic lover of turf and field sports, he enjoyed universal popularity with peer and peasant, and the action of the Irish Government in depriving him of his magisterial honours caused widespread indignation. In that feeling the Conservative was heartily joined by many Liberals, all of whom held the Chief of Brookhill in the highest respect. When arrangements had been made by Mr. Watson's friends for the purpose of getting up a meeting of sympathisers in Lisburn, great difficulty was experienced in obtaining a field to hold it in. At last Mr. David Beatty was applied to, and at once gave the committee leave to hold the meeting in his field, a spot since famed as "Watson's Hill." The meeting was one of the most enthusiastic ever seen in the North of Ireland. It was estimated that fifty thousand, including all creeds and classes, attended the great convention. In the years 1847-48, through the failure of the potato crop, the famine was sore in the land, and a committee was formed to look after and help the starving poor of the town, when the manufacturers and others subscribed liberally towards that deserving object.

In 1863

the disastrous civil war in America, by destroying the cotton crop, produced widespread misery in the North of Ireland, and particularly in those districts where the cotton trade was the staple manufacture. A committee of gentlemen resident in Lisburn was formed to supply the waste of those who were suffering, and that committee appealed, and appealed successfully, to wealthy men in Ireland, England, and Scotland, and received large contributions from the charitable in all districts, and particularly from many successful men in our colonies -- Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. One of the most generous was Mr. A. T. Stewart, of New York, who chartered a ship at his own expense, filled her with provisions to the value of £6,000, and despatched her across the Atlantic to relieve the starving poor of his native town of Lisburn. On her return she took out about 120 emigrants, whom he provided for until they found employment in their adopted land. Full particulars of these time's and of Mr. A. T. Stewart will be found in Mr. Hugh M'Call's book, "The Cotton Famine."

In 1878, Sir Richard Wallace

succeeded to the estate, after a long and costly litigation with Sir Hamilton Seymour, and his coming marked a new era in the history of Lisburn. The early lords of the soil from Sir Fulke Conway to Francis second Marquis of Hertford paid annual visits to the estate, but the third and fourth holders of the title and property were absentees. With the exception of a three weeks' visit by Richard fourth Marquis, paid in October, 1845, neither father nor son set foot on the estate from 1822 till 1870; nor did either of these landlords grant a building lease in fee simple. Very little increase was made in the population during the interval, but owing to the munificent and gentlemanly treatment by Sir Richard of the rural tenantry, and the granting of building sites on leases in fee simple, together with the promptitude and business-like arrangements of his estate agent, F. L. Capron, Esq., in having these leases perfected, a new era dawned on Lisburn, and its progress during the following years has been almost phenomenal. The gross valuation of the town in 1874 was £15,339; 1884, £19,392; 1894, £25,459; 1905, £30,753 -- double the amount in 30 years. During Sir Richard's ownership many new buildings were erected at his expense, one of which is the splendid residence opposite the Castle Gardens, of which all the work in connection with it was done by residents of the County Antrim. The old Market House was renovated, the dome re-coppered and adorned by a handsome illuminated clock. In 1874 the Towns' Improvement Act, 1854-55 was adopted, and on the 9th July the election of Town Commissioners took place, when out of thirty candidates the following fifteen were elected -- viz., William Graham, David Beatty, William Savage, Robert Alister, Redmond Jefferson, Samuel A. Johnson, James A. Mack, Samuel Musgrave, John Ruddy, John D. Barbour, George Bell, John Ritchie, George StGeorge, James S. Dawson, Lucas Waring. In 1893, Bills were promoted in Parliament for the purchase of water and market rights from Lady Wallace, which passed, and since they became the property of the town have bean improved and enlarged. Since then the Courthouse, Assembly Rooms, and Estate Office (the latter now used as the Town Hall) have been purchased from Sir John Murray Scott.

In 1884, Sir Richard Wallace, Bart., presented to the town the handsome public park called by his name. It contains 25 acres, in which are some fine oaks, elms, and limes; there is a beautiful lime-tree walk along the side of the railway, which is familiarly known as the "Dean's Walk" from having been planted by Dean Stannus, who was for many years rector of the Cathedral, and at same time acted as agent for the Marquis of Hertford.

Some years after,

Sir John Murray Scott

presented the Castle Gardens to the town this is one of the most interesting places in it owing to its historical associations. It has an entrance from Castle Street, and a beautiful lime-tree walk leading almost through the centre, at the end of which there is a monument to Sir Richard Wallace, erected by public subscription, and beyond this is placed one of the guns captured at Sebastopol, and presented by Admiral Meynell, R.N., in 1858. From the bowling green there is a charming view of the County Down, a portion of which is known as Largymore forms part of the town of Lisburn. There is also a beautiful fountain situated in the centre of the gardens. Thus very few towns Of the same size of Lisburn are so well provided with public parks.

(To be continued.)




District-Inspector Will Not Allow Victimisation.

At Lisburn Petty Sessions yesterday -- before Messrs. Robert Griffith, J.P.; (presiding); W. J. M'Murray, J.P.; and Augustus Turtle, J.P. -- it was mentioned that seventeen local milk vendors, were summoned for --

Selling new milk by retail at a price in excess of the maximum prescribed in pursuance of the Milk (Ireland) Act, 1913, and contrary to Regulations made under the Defence of the Realm Act.

Mr. H. A. Maginess, solicitor, said that his father, Mr. W. G. Maginess, was engaged to defend all those cases, and he could not possibly be present, as he was at County Antrim Assizes. In the circumstances, he asked for an adjournment until the next Court. He did not suppose Mr. Gregory, would raise any objection.

The Clerk (Mr. T. J. English) -- But will the milk vendors continue to charge 7d per quart in the meantime?

Mr. Maginess -- That will not alter the cases much. If their Worships convict they can impose a bigger fino.

District-Inspector Gregory said there were one or two things he would like to say. First of all, there was a case against Robert Smyth. That was a mistake, and might be struck out. With regard to the application for an adjournment that placed him in an awkward position. He did not like to refuse the request of a professional gentleman who was engaged in a higher Court, but that was a serious matter for the people of Lisburn.

The Chairman -- Has the Food Controller sanctioned these prosecutions?

District-Inspector Gregory -- The Food Controller has written down to me saying to go on, that he will not alter the Order made.

Mr. Maginess said that the Magistrates had a very big discretion in a matter of that sort. He would not ask for an adjournment if his father could possibly have attended.

District-Inspector Gregory said that their Worships would have to take into account that the vendors continued to charge 7d. If they did not he had his remedy -- the taking out of fresh summonses for every day for the next fortnight. There was another point -- since the summonses before the Court were issued milk vendors were sending round printed slips asking their customers to sign that they were willing to pay the same price for milk as charged in Belfast. Now, that was all right if it ended there; but he understood that in many cases that request was accompanied by threats. He was given to understand that large number of people had been refused milk because they would not sign. That was intimidation, and nothing else. If he could get a guarantee that there would be no more of that he would consent to an adjournment.

Mr. Maginess said he had not seen anything of the slips referred to. Of course Mr. Gregory had his remedy for that.

District-Inspector Gregory -- Yes; but I don't see why poor people in Longstone or anywhere else in the town should be intimidated. I am not going to ba a party to it.

Mr. Maginess -- Anything I can say or do with regard to letting them have milk certainly will do.

District-Inspector Gregory said he should like it to be made known that if any persons were refused milk, all they had to do was communicate with him, and he would get an order from the Food Controller directing that the milkmen must supply them first before anyone else in the town. The Food Controller had the right to do that, and he was prepared to do it. He (Mr. Gregory) would allow no victimisation.

Mr. Maginess -- That is quite enough.

District-Inspector Gregory -- The legal price of milk at the present time is 6d per quart, and no one has a right to charge any more. A milk vendor is liable to £100 fine for every day he overcharges.

Mr. Maginess admitted that the case was an important one; all the more reason for an adjournment.

District-Inspector Gregory added that he was quite sure all the milk vendors were not threatening their customers. There were men who would not lend themselves to that at all. "I will take stops to see who are refused milk," concluded the District-Inspector, "and I need not tell you I will bring it to Court next day. I have no objection to vendors charging 7d if that is the proper price, but there is a proper way to go about it, and not start intimidating people."

The Chairman -- Quite right.

All the cases were adjourned until the next Court, on Thursday week, 7th Aug.



This Court was held yesterday, before Messrs. Robert Griffith, J.P. (presiding); Augustus Turtle J.P.; and John M'Gonnell, J.P. District-Inspector Gregory, R.I.C., and Mr. T. J. English, C.P.S., were in attendance.

Late Head-Constable Doyle.

Before the commencement, Mr. Wellington Young, as senior solicitor, referred in feeling terms to the death of Head-Constable Doyle. He said that Head-Constable Doyle had been in Lisburn for a great number of years, and was very much respected. When leaving on promotion he was given a testimonial by the townspeople.

The Chairman said that they were all sorry to learn of the death of Head-Constable Doyle, who was highly respected in Lisburn, and they sympathised with his relatives in their bereavement.


Constable Henry summoned David Faloon for "simple drunkenness." A fine of 2s 6d and costs was imposed.

Constable Newman summoned James Dempsey, Belfast, for drunkenness at Lisburn on Saturday, 19th inst. The constable said that defendant was coming down Longstone Street on a bicycle, and he fell off. He wanted to get on the bicycle again. He would certainly have injured himself or someone else.

A fine of 10s and costs was imposed.

Constable Newman summoned Jane M'Allister for drunkenness on Saturday night. The constable said that he found defendant lying across the footpath on the Dublin Road. She was helplessly drunk. She was one of those women, who came to Lisburn on a Saturday night for the purpose of getting locked up. "We have to keep her over Sunday," added the constable, "and she knows that."

Defendant was fined 20s and costs, or, in default, fourteen days' imprisonment.

Constable Shields charged Thomas M'Roberts with drunkenness at Lisburn on the 14th inst. First offence. Fined 5s and costs.

Carowner Fined.

James Thompson, carowner, was prosecuted by the Urban Council for that he, being a licensed car-driver, did stand for hire at a place not fixed by the Council, contrary to the bye-laws.

Mr. Wellington Young, solicitor, who appeared for the prosecution, having quoted the bye-law, said that opposite the entrance to the railway station there was place for one car only, and adjoining this were stands in Bachelors' Walk and Railway Street. The defendant's car was standing at a place not fixed by the Council. The case was an important one, and, if proved, he would ask their Worships to impose a substantial penalty.

Inspector M'Bride deposed that he had received instructions about the defendant, and complaints were made that people were not able to get into the station without unnecessary trouble. He observed the defendant at the place, and, on speaking to him, defendant said that the horse had moved forward. He (witness) had previously cautioned the defendant.

Defendant said that another horse was feeding, and his horse moved forward, as any other horse would do. He was sorry, and assured their Worships that it would not occur again.

A fine of 5s and costs was imposed.

Mr. Young applied for costs, but the Magistrates declined to accede.

Mr. Young -- Well, you can't say I did not ask for them. ( Laughter.)

Indecent Behaviour.

Margaret Dickson and Wm. Orr, Bullick's Court, summoned Mary M'Ilwrath for indecent behaviour towards them on 12th inst.

Defendant was fined 5s in each case, and bound to the peace for twelve months in her personal security of £5.

A charge of assault was brought by Wm. Orr against the defendant's husband and was adjourned for a fortnight.



Frederick Collins, alias Burrows, a middle-aged man of no fixed residence, was brought before Mr. Augustus Turtle, J.P., on Monday, on a charge of stealing a shirt and a pair of boots on the 19th inst. from Mrs. Mary Sharkey's lodging-house, Market Lane, Lisburn, the property of John Shevlin, Obin Street, Portadown.

Constable Patrick Kearney, Belfast, deposed that from information received from the Lisburn police he arrested the prisoner on the Lisburn Road, near Belfast, at 2-30 on Sunday morning. Prisoner was wearing the shirt and boots produced. He made no statement.

John Shevlin deposed that he was a horse-dealer, and came to Lisburn to attend the fair. He got lodgings at Mrs. Sharkey's. He went to bed about 11 o'c. and soon fell asleep. About 12 o'clock Mrs. Sharkey woke him and told him that the other man had gone, and asked him did he miss anything. He could not find his shirt or boots; and he went out and reported the fact to the police. He gave £1 8s for the boots, and 6s for the shirt. He did not want to prosecute "the fella"; all he wanted was his own.

On the application of Head-Constable Gould, prisoner was remanded till the Petty Sessions.

At the Petty Sessions yesterday, Collins pleaded guilty.

District-Inspector Gregory said prisoner was convicted 21 times for larceny, 2 for assault, and 31 for minor offences -- 54 altogether from the year 1904.

Chairman (to defendant) -- You have been convicted a long time, and it doesn't seem to have cured you. You are to go to jail for six months, and I hope you'll improve your ways."



Heard at County Antrim Assizes.

At County Antrim Assizes on Wednesday -- before the Right Hon. Mr. Justice Gordon -- Clara Molloy and Robert Cairns of no fixed abode were put forward on an indictment charging them with the larceny of a cheese cover, delph mugs, knives and spoons, and a pair of spectacles, the property of Elizabeth Dougan, Bridge Street, Lisburn.

Mr. Geo. Hill Smith, K.C. and Mr. Brett (instructed by Mr. J. R. Moorhead, Crown Solicitor) prosecuted in this and other Crown cases. The accused were undefended.

Evidence was called for the prosecution to show that the two accused were lodgers in the house of the complainant, and on 8th July had received notice to leave. On the following day Mrs. Dougan was absent at her work, and when she returned the accused had gone, and the articles in question were missing. The accused were arrested in Belfast.

The prisoners submitted statements to the jury, in which they claimed that certain of the articles belonged to them, while the male prisoner admitted having taken the spectacles, but said he mistook them for his own.

The accused were found guilty, and were each ordered two months' imprisonment.



Old Soldier Leniently Dealt With at Assizes.

At County Antrim Assizes, on Wednesday -- before the Right Hon. Mr. Justice Gordon -- an old soldier named Mark Heasley pleaded guilty to maliciously breaking a window over £5 in value in the establishment of Messrs. Menary Brothers, Market Square, Lisburn.

Mr. William Beattie (instructed by Mr. W. G. Maginess), who appeared for the accused, said he had served through the Boer war, and he also served in the late war. He had been discharged in consequence of being no longer physically fit for military service. On the evening when the window was broken he had a fit of illness. After the affair took place he told the police sergeant. Besides the illness the accused had probably had a little drink.

His Lordship said it was no use telling him that some form of gastritis made a man break windows. (Laughter.)

Prisoner was allowed out on his own recognisances of £20. A sentence of three months' imprisonment was recorded, and the accused was informed that if within the period of the ensuing two years he broke the peace he would be liable to be sent to goal for that period.



"This in the first opportunity of dealing with people for this class of offence at this court, though I have heard of it at other courts. It would be cheaper in the long run for you to pay for your beer, and you must now each pay £5," said Mr. Wilberforce at Old Street, London, addressing Walter Brown and George Northfield, employees of the Great Eastern Railway Company. The men were employed at Bishopsgate Goods Station, and were charged with stealing beer to the value of 1s, the property of the company.

Constable Vale, of the railway police, said he saw the prisoners loading barrels of beer into a truck on Thursday evening. Each one leaned over one barrel for some time and appeared to be drinking something. He went towards them, and Brown threw something away, while Northfield replaced a bung in the barrel.

In defence Brown said, "I never stole the beer; I only had a drink"; and Northfield replied, "I only tasted it."

Detective-sergeant Stevens said prisoner had been "sucking the monkey." It was a most unusual offence on the railway.



Sincere regret was occasioned throughout a wide circle by the death of Mr. John Nelson, which occurred on the 17th inst. at his residence, Fruitvale, Crumlin. Mr. Nelson was one of the most extensive and successful agriculturists in his native district, the results he achieved in every branch of farming always being marked by a uniformly high level of excellence. He succeeded his father, and worthily carried on the traditions of a family which has been known and respected in the neighbourhood for generations. He was for many years a member of the Antrim Rural Council. He was also a member of the Masonic Order, taking a keen interest in the affairs of the local Lodge, and was one of the original founders of the Masonic Hall in Crumlin. His sterling worth and kindly disposition, as well as his skill and industry, were recognised by all who knew him. He is survived by his wife and family of five sons and two daughters.


^ top of page