Lisburn Standard - Friday, 1 August, 1919


WILSON -- Died, at Lewisham, London, on the 29th inst., Ella Wilson, daughter of Wm. Wilson, formerly resident in Lisburn, aged 27 years.





-- -- --


-- -- --


-- -- --




On January 16, 1899, under the County Councils Act, a new election of Commissioners took place, under the name of Urban Councillors. The gentlemen elected were:-- George H. Clarke. J.P.; John Ritchie, James E. Pelan, G. B. Wilkins, George Wilson, William Davis, Dr. St. George, John Morgan, James E. Sloan, Robert Rice, Robert Garrett, William Todd, Joseph M'Connell, James M'Keown and William Savage, J.P.

Urban Councillors in 1906:-- Alex. Patterson, Dr. St.George, James E. Sloan, Wm. Davis, Robert Pedlow, G. B. Wilkins, H. A. M. Barbour, James E. Pelan, G. H. Clarke, J.P.; Robert Griffith, W. J. M'Murray, Thomas Oliver, George Wilson, John G. Ferguson, James A. Hanna chairman.

Mr. G. B. Wilkins; Solicitor to the Board, Mr. Wellington Young; Town Clerk, Mr. Thomas M. Wilson, son of the late Mr. James Wilson, who held this position for some years prior to Mr. T. M. Wilson.

The sanitary officer in 1906, Dr. James G. Jefferson, and town surveyor. Mr. James Johnston. All the markets are most commodious, well-kept and well managed by the markets superintendent, Mr. Robert M'Creight, who is also school attendance inspector for the schools in the urban district, as well as being rate collector for the town.

The Handsome Courthouse

built by the generosity of Sir Richard Wallace, Bart, in the year 1883, at a cost of about £4,000, forms a most attractive sight on arrival in the town, and is the first object which meets the eye of visitors coming from the railway station. The facade has beautiful Corinthian pillars, and bears the Royal Arms on the pediment, while the Wallace Arms decorate the eastern end. About 1903 this, along with other buildings, was acquired by the Urban District Council from Sir John Murray Scott, Bart, the successor in title, and is now carefully attended to by the present owners.

Courts of quarter sessions and petty sessions are regularly held, also courts for the disposal of offenders against the towns improvement act.

The Magistrates for the district, some of whom usually preside at the petty sessions court and town court in 1906 were Thomas R. Stannus, Magheraleave; Thos. Dunlop Gibson, R.M., Portadown; J. Theodore Richardson, Lissue; James Crossin, Wellington Villas; George H. Clarke, Roseville; John Rogers, Eden-a-Grena, Belfast; E. J. Charley, Seymour Hill; Felix O'Hagan, Belfast; Hugh Mack, Dalboyne; William Savage, Maryville; M. B. Mackenzie, M.D., Seymour Street; W. R. M'Call, Whiteabbey; F. W. Capron, London; John Laird, Gobrana, Glenavy; Sir J. Murray Scott, Bart., London; W. H. H. Lyons, Sydenham; Charles Richardson, Newtownbreda; James M'Connell, Stranmillis, Belfast; John Dornan, Belfast.

Prior to the building of the present Courthouse the Petty Sessions for the district were held for a number of years in the Assembly Rooms after the old Courthouse in Castle Street had been pulled down, to make room for the Estate Office, now used as Urban District Council Offices. The clerk of Petty Sessions is Thomas J. English, who has held the position since April, 1882. The first Petty Sessions Court was held in the new Courthouse in April, 1884.

The present commodious and substantial Post Office in Railway Street was erected by the Government in 1896. In 1796 the postage from Dublin to Lisburn or Belfast was 5d., and in 1834 it appears to have risen to 9d.

The first mail coach commenced to ran from Dublin to Belfast and Cork in 1790. The introduction of mail coaches at that time not only greatly improved the system of the post office, but was attended with the greatest advantages to the general interests of Ireland. Previous to their introduction the state of the roads was such that it commonly took five to six days to perform the journey from Dublin to Lisburn, when the fare was 36s 3d inside, and half that sum outside.

Lisburn being situated on the direct route between the two principal cities of Ireland, the mail coach passed through Lisburn daily, stopping to change horses at the Hertford Arms, now the site occupied by the Northern Bank.

The Armagh coach stopped at the King's Arms, also in Market Square, owned then by Mr. George Moore.

In 1905 the new drainage works were inaugurated.

The town is also the possessor of two weekly newspapers -- the "Lisburn Standard," which was first initiated in 1876 by W. Johnston succeeded by Mr. J. E. Reilly, and is now owned by Victor M'Murray. The "Lisburn Herald " was started some years later by the present proprietor, Robert M'Mullan.

Lisburn returned a member to the Imperial Parliament up to the time of the Redistribution Act; after this it became merged in the South Antrim Division. William Ellison Macartney, Esq., represented this division for many years, but on being appointed Deputy-Master of the Mint, at the end of 1902, he was obliged to resign his seat. He was succeeded by Charles Curtis Craig Esq., the present member.

Among the families who have contributed and are contributing still to the commercial prosperity of Lisburn are the Barbours, Richardsons, Stewarts, Coulsons, and their representatives. Amongst those intimately connected with Lisburn the names of Nicholson, Stewart, Hart, Taylor, Betty, Monro, Crommelin, Wallace, Thompson, Higginson, and many others stand out prominently, and to none more than those, and the men who pioneered and developed the industries of "Ye Towne of Lisnagarvey," do the well-known words of the poet more aptly apply --

     Lives of great men all remind us
          We can make our lives sublime,
     And departing leave behind us
          Footprints on the sands of time.

In 1914 the Urban Council purchased the Castle, built by Sir Richard Wallace in Castle Street in 1880, at a cost of £2,000, and established therein a Technical School. This understating has proved an unqualified success. First committee -- Thomas Sinclair, chairman; James Carson, vice-chairman; Harold Barbour, J. B. Campbell, Edward Donaghy, Fredk. Duncan, Robert Griffith, James A. Hanna, Wm. M'Ilroy, W. J. M'Murray, James M'Nally.


Magistrates -- Alan Bell, R.M.; G. H. Clarke, Roseville; J. Crossin, Lisburn; E. J. Charley, Seymour Hill, J. Doran, Dunmurry; Wm. M. Whitaker, K.C., Dublin; F. W. Capron, London; W. R. M'Call, Belfast; W. H. H. Lyons, Belfast; Felix O'Hagan, Belfast; Jas. M'Connell, Belfast; Robt. Griffith, Hugh G. Larmor, Belsize Road; J. Milne Barbour, D.L., Conway, Dunmurry; J. L. Rentoul, M.D.; William Ritchie, W. J. Frazer, Lisburn; Wm. M'Ilroy, Hilden Cottage; Edward Donaghy, jun.; W. J. M'Murray, E. V. Taylor, Thomas Sinclair, J. M'Gonnell.

Clerk of Petty Sessions -- T. J. English.

Urban District Council -- Messrs. Robt. Griffith, J.P.; Geo. H. Clarke, J.P.; W. J. M'Murray, J.P.; H. M. Barbour, James M'Nally, Alexander Patterson, Thomas Sinclair J.P.; George StGeorge, C. V. Bolton, Wm. Davis, J.P. (chairman); Jas. A. Hanna, James E. Pelan, Charles Scott, and John G. Ferguson.

Town Solicitor -- Wellington Young.
Town Surveyor -- James Shortt.
Town Clerk -- Thomas M. Wilson.
Medical Officer -- D. C. Campbell, M.D.
Manager, Gas Works -- A. S. Brook.
War Pensions Committee -- Jas. Carson, chairman.
Stationmaster -- John Allister.
Postmaster -- J. Shanks.
Technical School -- Cecil Webb, Principal.
Rate Collector -- R. M'Creight.


Wireless on Merchant Ships.

Amendments to the Merchant Shipping Wireless Telegraphy Bill, that every British ship, coasting vessels included, should be fitted with an installation, and that all ships with a gross tonnage of over 1,000 tons should be so provided, were rejected on the grounds of expense and being unnecessary.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Hostility to Irish Harvesters.

Numbers of labourers from Mayo who went to England some weeks ago have returned owing to the hostility shown them by discharged soldiers. No Irishmen, except those wearing discharged badges, could find work. Many harvesters are, however, going to Scotland via the North Wall.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Dog Tax Threatened Again.

In the House of Commons on Wednesday the Dogs Regulation (Ireland) Bill was reintroduced, and read a first time. The Speaker, on looking into the matter, found that his refusal to allow the second reading some days ago was against the precedent of a similar Bill which had not originated in a Committee of the Whole House.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


Sir D. Beatty, receiving the freedom of Hastings, said British sea power was never abused. It meant not merely preponderating naval strength but intense development of every maritime enterprise. The British merchant flag should be shown in every corner of the globe.


Tuberculosis in Belfast.

The death rate from tuberculosis in Belfast was much higher among females than males, said Dr. Trimble, Belfast, in the course of a paper read at the Congress of the Sanitary Institute at Newcastle. This, he found was not the case in Manchester, and he also believed tuberculosis was most rife in the poorest paid occupation.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Lord Londonderry and the Widows.

Lord Londonderry has intimated to widows of soldiers and sailors who were employed at his collieries that he will continue to them the use of their houses during their widowhood, free of rent, rates, and taxes. Widows not living in his houses will continue to receive the usual rent allowance, and in both cases there will be a free allowance of coal.



Lord Pirrie, Controller-General of Merchant Shipbuilding, is to demobilise his staff and vacate his offices at the Ministry of Shipping. Outstanding questions relating to shipbuilding will be dealt with at Lord Pirrie's London office.



Any person may now sell jam or syrup by retail without obtaining a certificate of registration, the Registration Order of 1918 having been revoked. The orders relating to maximum retail prices for jam or syrup must be observed.



"I do not wish any woman to be present at my funeral -- and no flowers" was the endorsement on the will of the late Countess of Harrington, Elvaston Castle, Derby, who died leaving estate valued at £36,869.



Miss Molly Dawson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. Dawson, Harcourt Terrace, Dublin, swam from The Skerries to the Blue Pool, Portrush, in 49 minutes.



The following paragraph appears under the heading "Local News" in the "Warwickshire Advertiser":--

"Brev. Lieut.-Col. B. Airth Richardson, Warwickshire Yeomanry, has been granted a Territorial decoration."



Mr. W. Long informed Viscount Carson that one battleship, three light cruisers, and 15 destroyers of the scuttled German Fleet at Scapa Flow had been salved, and that operations on three more destroyers were proceeding. It was not proposed to hold a Court of Inquiry.


^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 8 August, 1919



Master Dermot Maginess, youngest son of Mr. W. G. Maginess, solicitor, Avonmore, Lisburn, was accidentally drowned on Tuesday at Loughguile, North Antrim, while on holiday there.

About a fortnight ago the boy went to Loughguile to spend a short vacation with his school chum, Master Bobbie Bell, at the Rectory. The Boys went in together on Tuesday to bathe in the "Sawmill Lake," and young Master Maginess, who could swim, but was not a strong swimmer, got into difficulties. His chum, who had gone to the boat, which was drifting, returned and managed to swim with him about twenty yards, but could not make the shore owing to exhaustion. Master Bell raised the alarm, but by the time the body was recovered life was extinct, and artificial respiration by Dr. Wallace and Mr. Kelly, a local gamekeeper, proved unavailing.

The tragedy is not only a bitter blow to the Maginess family but to the Rev. George Bell and Mrs. Bell, with whom the boy was spending a holiday he had looked forward to with high spirited, youthful enthusiasm.

The sad news was learned of in Lisburn with feelings of consternation, and profound sympathy goes out to both families in the terrible calamity that has befallen them.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --


The funeral took place at 12 o'clock to-day from, the residence of deceased's father, Avonmore, and is on its way to Hillsborough as we go to press. The cortege is a particularly large one, many clerical, legal, and other professional and business men travelling from Belfast and other towns as a mark of sympathy, while the local troop of Boy Scouts, of which deceased was a member, were given a prominent place in the mournful procession. The coffin was smothered in beautiful wreaths, and this was in itself a very touching sight.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. Wm. Jellie, under his own personal supervision.



The breach of promise action in which Elizabeth Ann Rollins was plaintiff, and Albert Beckett was defendant, was adjourned for trial at Dublin in October, on the application of Mr. R. Best, K.C., counsel for the defendant, at Belfast Assizes on Wednesday.


The Late Captain Jamas Bolton, R.M., of Lisburn.

The death of this highly-respected officer will he heard of with regret in all circles in which he was in the habit of mixing. The Captain was first cousin of Sir James W. Hogg, and also nearly connected with the gallant General Nicholson, whose name is so intimately woven with the history of the Sepoy insurrection in India. Upwards of sixty years ago, the deceased gentleman obtained a midshipmanship in the British Navy, and in that service he proved himself worthy the fame of a blue-jacket. At the battle of Algiers he displayed the utmost courage and intrepidity, so much so that he was honoured with the special notice of Lord Exmouth, the commander of the fleet. He retired on half pay in 1830, and some years afterwards settled in Lisburn, residing with his uncle, Mr. James Hogg, one of the oldest Linen Merchants of that town. At the death of that gentleman, Captain Bolton became heir to his property, and from that day to the time of his death he spent all his savings in various works of charity. Few men had stronger political opinions than he entertained, and yet while holding fast by the last strands of Tory traditions, he was very liberal in his general sentiments, and in the carrying out of his acts of philanthropy, he never permitted sect or party to influence him. As one of a race of old gentlemen now fast dying away, Captain Bolton possessed very sterling qualities: and, although his days of supremacy on the quarter-deck of a man-of-war gave him peculiar ideas of the right of command, his heart was in the right place, and, during a long life, he laboured to do good with a spirit of perseverance which the ingratitude he often met with did not cool, nor could disappointment set it aside. Never was a more genuine specimen of the British sailor than the good old man whose remains will soon be placed in the dust. Blunt in his disposition, and honest in the expressions of his opinions, he was just such, a character as Smollett would have sketched; but under that rough outline, there lived a world of kindly feeling which told that his profession of Christianity was more than a name. Throughout his life he was an enemy to religious cant, no matter in what form it appeared; he was a firm believer in the practice of good works, and some of the latest acts of his life were directed to the carrying out of that benevolence which formed the chief feature of his character. -- Daily "Northern Whig," of April 5, 1867.


Domestic Affairs of Former Lisburn Attorney.

To the Editor of the "Lisburn Standard,"

Dear Sir,

A gentleman of the name of Mr. Chas. Knowles Bolton, who holds the important position of Librarian to the Boston Athenaeum in Boston, U.S.A., and who is keenly interested as an historian in Ulster people and their affairs wrote me that he was recently looking over some manuscripts in the Archives Department of the State House in Boston, and that he came across a document dealing with the domestic affairs of a former Lisburn Attorney.

It agrees that in the year 1742 George Arthur who was an attorney married Agnes, a daughter of Thomas Gurnall of Lisburn, and that in the year 1745 he fled to Boston, leaving his wife behind him. There he married a Mary Hamilton with whom he lived till 1754 when he returned to his native town and settled about a mile from it. Mary petitioned the then Governor Phips for a divorce in 1756. John M'Clure of Lisburn sent to Parliament giving in full the career of George Arthur (whether in praise or blame my informant does not state), which was witnessed by some rather interesting former worthies of our town and some of whose names have appeared from time to time in the Records of Lisburn, so ably collated by Mr. James Carson.

The names subscribed to the petition are as follows:-- Richard Dobbs, Rector of Lisburn; Cornelius Carlton, James Wightman, church wardens; Edward Smyth, member of Parliament for said town of Lisburn; Francis Hutchinson, Archdeacon of Down and justice of the peace for the counties of Down and Antrim; Thomas Johnson, vicar of Maghregal [sic]; Jas. Kennedy, John Fletcher, James Crouch, Henry Bell, James Hulton, Joseph Watkins, John Warring Crouch.

Your faithfully


7th August, 1919.



This Court was held yesterday, before Messrs. Alan Bell, R.M. (presiding); Augustus Turtle, J.P.; W. J. M'Murray, J.P.; and John M'Gonnell, J.P.

Alleged Larceny.

A young man named Robert Lewis was brought up in custody of stealing a sum of money from the shop of Mrs. Catherine Dougan, Mill Street, Hilden.

Sergt. Johnston, who brought the charge, asked for a remend. He required time to procure further evidence, and believed he could connect Lewis with other larcenies.

Prisoner was remanded in custody.

Sanitary Prosecution.

William M. Carson, property agent, Belfast, was prosecuted by the Lisburn Rural District Council for failing to comply with a notice requiring the abatement of a nuisance at a dwelling-house situate in Poleglass, Dunmurry, occupied by a tenant named M'Hugh.

Mr. D. Barbour Simpson, solicitor, appeared for the prosecution, and there was no appearance on the part of the defendant.

Mr. English, C.P.S., said he night say that defendant informed the summons server that, after he received the notice, he had given up the agency.

Samuel Crail(?), assistant clerk of the union, produced the resolution authoring the legal proceedings.

John M'Kinstry, sanitary sub-officer, deposed that serving the notice on the 20th May, and that on examining the premises in June he found that nothing had been done in regard thereto.

Dr. Gausser, medical officer of health, Dunmurry, said he had inspected the premises. There was at he back of the house a deep drain, which contained a quantity of water, and the earthen floor of the kitchen was very damp. He recommended that the floor should be tiled. It was the only house in the row which was untiled. He did not consider earthen floors healthy.

Chairman -- Was there any sickness in this house?

Witness -- Yes, there was a case of influenza at the time it was prevalent.

Their Worships made an order that steps be taken within thirty days to prevent a recurrence of the water accumulating, and imposed a fine of 2s 6d costs. They also allowed one guinea each to the solicitor and medical officer, 10s to the sanitary sub-officer, and 6s costs of court.

Echo of Maze Races.

Sergeant Johnston summoned Robert Coulter, car-driver, Belfast, for, on 29th ult. -- one of the days of the Maze Races -- wilfully causing an obstruction in the lane heading to the railway station. Defendant did not appear.

The sergeant stated that there was great congestion at the place, and defendant, who was going to pick up passengers, refused to move, and when he (complainant) caught hold of the horse defendant threatened to strike him with his whip. The whole traffic was held up, and but for his (complainant's) interference there might have been a serious accident.

A fine of 10s, with 3s extra costs, was imposed.

Cases Adjourned.

A number of cases in which Mr. Maginess was engaged were adjourned owing to the latter's sad bereavement.



Non-Appearance of Plaintiff at Assizes.

The case of Christie v. Stannus was called at Belfast Assizes on Monday, before the Right Hon. Mr. Justice Pim; but plaintiff did not appear, and judgment was entered for the defendant, with costs, on the application of Mr. T. W. Brown, K.C., with whom was Mr. H. M. Thompson (instructed by Mr. George M'Cracken).

In this matter James Christie, Glen Road, Hillhall, Lisburn, brought an action for trial by common jury against Miss Louisa Fitzgerald Stannus, of Manor Farm, Glen Road, Hillhall, to recover £1,000 for having enticed and induced Margaret Christie, the plaintiff's wife, to remain absent from the plaintiff without his consent.


^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 15 August, 1919


IRVINE -- August 10, at Hospital, Dublin Road, Lisburn, Phyllis Doreen (wee Phyllis, youngest and dearly-loved daughter of William and Margaret Irvine. Interred in New Cemetery, August 11. Deeply regretted.
     O, 'tis sweet to breathe her name,
          The one we loved so well,
     Our darling Phyllis went to rest.
          And could not say farewell.
2, Laganside Terrace, Old Hillsborough Road, Lisburn.

In Memoriam

CHERRY -- In loving memory of Sergeant James A. Cherry, R. Inniskilling Fus., killed in action August 16, 1917, only son of Mrs. Cherry and the late Mr. James Cherry, Bow St., Lisburn.

TOPPING -- In loving memory of our dear son, Corporal Henry Topping, 11th Battalion R.I. Rifles, killed in action (France) on 16th August, 1917; also his Uncle Sam, on same date.
He gave his life for us.
Still sadly missed by his loving Father and Mother, Sisters and Brothers. HENRY and MARY TOPPING. 6 Walton Place, Longstone St., Lisburn.

TOPPING -- In loving memory of my dear brother, Corporal Henry Topping, 11th Battalion R.I. Rifles, killed in action (France) on 16th of August, 1917.
     We mourn for you, dear brother,
          But not with outward show,
     For the hearts that mourn sincerely
          Mourn silently and low.
Ever remembered by his loving Brother and Sister-in-law, THOMAS TOPPING (ex-2nd Lt. R.I.R.). and LENA TOPPING. 60 Penrith Street, Belfast.

TOPPING -- In loving memory of our dear brother, Corporal Henry Topping, 11th Battalion R.I. Rifles, killed in action (France) on 16th August, 1917. Sadly missed.
Ever remembered by his loving Sister and Brother-in-law, SARAH and WALTER JEFFERSON. 20 Benson Street, Lisburn.

TOPPING -- In loving memory of our dear brother, Corporal Henry Topping, 11th R.I. Rifles, killed in action on 16th Aug., 1917.
     Now the great Peace Day is here,
     But his great Peace Day is won.
Deeply regretted by his loving Sister and Brother-in-law, LENA and CHAS. MONTGOMERY. Church St., Lisburn.




Brother Returned for Trial on Capital Charge.

The tragic circumstances of the occurrence in Dunmurry on Wednesday night, which resulted in the death of William Lunn, an ex-soldier, were investigated yesterday. Subsequently a special Court of Petty Sessions was held before Mr. E. J. Charley, J.P., when, on the application of District-Inspector Gregory, George Lunn, who was arrested and charged with the murder of the deceased, who is his brother, was returned for trial to the Ulster Winter Assizes on the capital charge.

At the opening of the inquest, which was held by Dr. Mussen, J.P., coroner for the district,

Mrs. Catherine Finnegan, Mill Row, Dunmurry, gave evidence of identification. She saw deceased last the previous night at her house about a quarter to six o'clock. He had some drink taken. The next she heard of him was about ten minutes past six, when she heard he was hurt. There was little, if any, ill-feeling between deceased and his brother George.

The Foreman -- Was your brother very quarrelsome when be got drink? -- Well, he was, but was not too bad.

The Coroner -- He was excitable? -- Yes, but I never knew him to do much harm.

A Juror -- Were the two brothers on friendly terms when they were sober? -- No. They had some sort of words. I am not sure what it was about. It was not worth talking about.

Joseph M'Phillips, a labourer in Dunmurry Mill said he left work on Wednesday evening at six o'clock in company with George Lunn and Robert Davidson. On their way home, in the middle of the path going to the Mill Row, they met the deceased.

District-Inspector Gregory -- What happened then? -- He went and caught George Lunn by the shoulder and said, "Will you fight me now?"

Did he appear to have drink taken? -- Well, he was not quite sober.

What did George do when he was caught by the shoulder? -- He pulled away, and apparently did not want to fight him. He walked on towards his home, and William followed him.

What happened then? -- George turned round in a hurry, pulled something from under his coat, and struck William a deliberate blow on the head.

Witness further examined, said no further words took place than those he had mentioned. He could not say what it was deceased was struck on the head with, as it all happened so quickly. The police came on the scene, and the doctor was sent for.

The Foreman -- Was the deceased not helplessly drunk? -- He was not.

Well, he must have sobered up greatly from the afternoon. Was it not a fact that he was looking fight from everyone he met? -- I could not answer that. I was at my work.

The Foreman said unless the deceased was under the influence of drink he was very civil.

Robert Davidson, another mill labourer, gave evidence corroborative of the last witness's statements.

The Coroner -- With reference to the brothers there was no deadly feud between them? -- Not that I know of.

Constable Owen M'Ardle stated that about six o'clock the previous evening he was going to Dunmurry Railway Station and met a crowd of people coming from the mill. In consequence of what he heard he went to Mill Row, where he found the deceased lying on his back on the ground. Witness examined him, and found he was seriously injured, and that he showed no signs of life. He sent for a doctor, and while he was waiting he was told he was wanted at Lunn's. He went to the house where George Lunn lived and found him sitting in the kitchen crying. He said, "Isn't this terrible?? My poor brother. Take me to the barrack. This is what I done it with." Accused handed him the piece of wood produced. Constable Egan then arrived, and witness handed accused over to him.

To the Foreman -- There were no bloodstains on the piece of wood, which was part of a barrel stave.

Constable Cornelius Egan gave evidence similar to that of Constable M'Ardle. He cautioned George Lunn, arrested him, and charged him with the murder of his brother. He produced a piece of wood, the stave of a barrel, which he had in the house, and said, "I bring home one like that every evening to light the fire. William caught me by the collar, and I hit him with it on the head." The piece of wood was similar to that produced by Constable M'Ardle.

Dr. S. H. Hunter deposed to having been called to see the deceased the previous evening. On his arrival he found life extinct. He had a wound on the left side of his head. Witness that day had performed a post-mortem examination, and found the scalp wound did not penetrate to the bone. On removing the scalp he found no injuries to the brain. Deceased had a fatty heart and liver, and all the signs of chronic alcoholism. In his debilitated state the blow he received must have simply knocked him out. The piece of wood produced would have been sufficient to cause that wound on deceased's head. In witness's opinion death was caused by shock following the wound.

The jury found that death was due to shock consequent on a blow, upon the head inflicted by George Lunn, and acting upon a diseased and debilitated constitution.

Accused sent forward to Winter Assizes.

At a special Court held in the Courthouse, Dunmurry, accused was sent forward for trial to the Winter Assizes.


^ top of page

Lisburn Standard - Friday, 22 August, 1919



This Court was held yesterday, before Messrs. W. J. M'Murray, J.P. (presiding); Alan Bell, R.M.; Robert Griffith, J.P.; Augustus Turtle, J.P.; and J. Milne Barbour.

Alleged Child Desertion.

The Belfast Board of Guardians prosecuted Arthur Moore, Hilden, for, as alleged, having deserted and left his child chargeable on the rates of the union.

Mr. Harper, solicitor, appeared for the prosecution.

As defendant did not appear, on the application of Mr. Harper a warrant was issued for his apprehension.

Cruelty to a Donkey.

R. J. Allen and James Monaghan were prosecuted at the instance of the N.S.P.C.A. for cruelty to a donkey on 5th inst.

Mr. Joseph Lockhart, solicitor, appeared for the complainant society.

Inspector M'Cann stated that on the date mentioned he observed the donkey drawing a cart. The animal, which was "galled" on both sides, was in a very bad condition.

Constable Healey corroborated the description given of the sores by the previous witness.

Their Worships fined Allen (owner) 10s and costs, and Monaghan (who had hired the donkey) 5s and costs.

Injury to a Fence.

Joseph Campbell, Legmore, summoned a boy named Robt. Erin for having on Sunday, 3rd inst., pulled the thorns out of a gap leading into a meadow, where his (Campbell's) cows were grazing. There was a cross-summons by Joseph Erin, sen., against Campbell for allowing his cattle to damage a garden.

Mr. W. G. Maginess. solicitor, appeared for Campbell.

Joseph Campbell deposed that he had purchased a little farm from Mr. Charley, at Derriaghy, and there was a good fence round it until the 3rd inst., when the fence at the gap was taken away. The cattle then got out of the field. It would cost about 10s to repair the damage.

In the cross-case, Robert Erin said that Campbell's cattle got into his garden and caused considerable damage to the potatoes and other vegetables. The fence, referred to was only a bush thrown against the gap. Witness and his son denied that any damage was done to the fence.

The magistrates fined Erin 5s, 10s 6d costs, and allowed 5s for damage. Campbell was muleted in 2s 6d for the trespass of the cattle in Erin's garden.

Motorist Fined.

On the testimony of Sergeant Young, Bernard Cregan, Newry, was fined 10s and extra costs for not having a rere light on his motor car at 12-45a.m. on 4th inst.

The Hilden Robbery.

Robert Lewis was charged on remand with, as alleged, entering the house of Catherine Dougan, Mill Street, Hilden, while she was at work on the 3rd inst., and stealing therefrom £8 in notes, three gold rings, and some loose silver.

Further depositions having been taken, defendant was returned for trial to Belfast Quarter Sessions. Bail was accepted.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

At the Town Court before the same magistrates.

Sergeant Duffy charged Joseph Donnelly with being drunk and disorderly on 4th inst.

The Sergeant stated that Donelly was cursing the Freemasons, and said that the same thing should be done on the police as in other parts of Ireland. He resisted arrest violently.

Defendant -- Did I speak until I was in the barrack and two of the policemen started to beat me?

Complainant denied that there was any assault in the barrack. Complaints had been received by the police regarding Donnelly.

Defendant was fined 40s and costs, or, in default, a month's imprisonment. He was given ten days in which to pay the penalty.

On the evidence of Constable Newman, Mary Erin was fined 5s and costs for disorderly behaviour on 9th inst.

Mr. Wellington Young, town solicitor, conducted the prosecutions.



Fierce was the tempest o'er the whole wide deep,
The earth was reeling with the cannon's roar;
But Thou didst come and, like a babe to sleep.
Hushed into calm and rest as when of yore.

And now the bells are ringing near and far,
The voice of praise and prayer ascends on high;
Oh, Lord of Hosts, before Thy feet we fall,
Whose Presence fills the whole earth, air, and sky.

Give us a lasting peace from shore to shore,
And speak to all in mercy, love, and grace;
Thine own right arm great victories hath won,
And in the tempest we beheld Thy face.

When earth and air were fraught with death and pain,
'Twas then we felt Thy Presence near by;
And arms and hearts were brave and strong again.
And Thou didst give our comrades grace to die.

While bells are ringing peace, sweet peace restored;
And while ten thousand voices loudly sing,
So he Thy Name in every heart adored,
Set up Thy kingdom, come and reign as King.

T.M. Home, Lisburn.



It is officially announced that the King has approved of the award of the Military Medal for bravery in the field to Squadron Sergt.-Major Frank R. Harding and Sergt. S. Rainey (North Irish Horse) Lisburn.


^ top of page