Northern Whig - Thursday, 1 January 1885


Announcements under this heading are charged for as follows:-- Birth, 2s 6d; Marriage, 2s 6d; Notice of Death, 1s 6d; Interment 2s 6d. These announcement must be Prepaid and duly Authenticated.


BYRON -- December 28, at No. 7, Pump Street, Londonderry, the wife of Henry A. Byron, of a son.

CONWAY -- December 30, at 28, Fenilworth Road, Rathgar, the wife of M. B. Conway, of a daughter.

FITZGERALD -- December 29, at The Priory, Monkstown, Dublin, the wife of Edward Fitzgerald, of a daughter.

GOODWIN -- December 24, at Kerr's Bay Lodge, Rathmullan, the wife of Samuel Goodwin, of a daughter.


CHAPMAN--STOKES -- December 30, in Clontarf Church, by the Rev. Professor Stokes, B.D., Vicar of All Saints', Blackrock, Dublin, brother of the bride, assisted by the Rev. MacNevin Bradshaw, M.A., Incumbent, Wellesley Poole Chapman, to Eleanor Susan, fifth daughter of John Stokes.

JAMIESON--HANNAH -- December 30, in York Street Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. Thomas Hamilton, M.A., John Lowry Jamieson, Dublin, to Carrie, youngest daughter of James Hannah, Cherrymount, Belfast.

SCOTT--CAMPBELL -- December 31, in St. James's Church, Belfast, by the Rev. John Spence, M.A., John Gordon Scott, to Alice, youngest daughter of the late Mr. Samuel Campbell, both of Belfast.


LITTLE -- December 31, as her father's residence, Finvoy, Cookstown, Nannie, beloved and only daughter of David Little. Her remains will be removed for interment in Sandholes Burying-ground, on to-morrow (Friday), 2nd. inst., at eleven o'clock a.m. Friends will please accept this (the only) intimation.

TAYLOR -- December 30, at 44, Relf Road, Peckham, London, James Taylor, H.M. Customs, late of Belfast. His remains will be removed from the Fleetwood steamer, on Saturday morning, at nine o'clock, for interment ia Newtownbreda burying-ground.

-- -- -- --

DONNELLY -- December 29, at St. Vincent's Hospital, Dublin, Joseph J. N. Donnelly, of 52 Harold's Cross, Dublin, aged twenty-six years.

GRADY -- December 29, at his residence, 19, Elm Grove, Cullenswood, Valentine Grady, aged fifty-two years.

M'GOWAN -- December 28, at Ballykeel, Moneyrea, James Orr M'Gowan, aged seventy-four years.



MAJOR and Brevet Colonel F. Chapman, of the Royal Artillery, has been removed from the seconded list to the effective establishment as a Regimental Major.

Major C. H. S. Butler, Adjutant of the 2nd Glamorganshire Rifle Volunteers, is about to vacate that appointment, which he has held since the 27th of July, 1882.

Captain F. W. S. Grant, of the 1st Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, has been promoted Major on the half-pay list.

Captain T. C. Jameson, of the Scottish Rifles, becomes Regimental Major by the promotion of Major Hamilton, and will remain for duty with the 2nd Battalion, serving at Cawnpore.

Captain J. A. Hay, 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry, succeeds to a regimental majority by the promotion of Major Harvey.

Captain and Honorary Major B. E. Sheehy, of the 5th Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers, has been promoted Substantive Major.

Captain and Adjutant G. Rowan Hamilton, of the 3rd Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, has been granted the honorary rank of Major, in accordance with the Militia Regulations of 1883.

Captain B. T. B. Flood, of the South Lancashire Regiment, has retired, receiving a gratuity.

Captain C. M. Barlow, of the Royal Artillery, who has just been promoted to that rank, has been transferred from the K Battery A Brigade to the H Battery 4th Brigade, and ordered to hold himself in readiness to embark to join his new battery in South Africa.

Deputy Surgeon General H. B. Hassard, the Principal Medical Officer in Ireland, has been promoted Surgeon-General, in succession to Surgeon General Gilborne, retired.


^ top of page

Northern Whig - Friday, 2 January 1885


LENNON -- December 29, at Prospect Hill, Galway, the wife of W. Lennon, D.I. R.I. Constabulary, of a daughter.

MIEISSNER -- December 31, at 7, Hampden Terrace, Belfast, the wife of A. L. Meissner, of a son.

MURPHY -- December 28, at Wood Park, Kingstown, Dublin, the wife of Richard James Murphy, of a daughter.


SINCLAIR--MARTIN -- December 29, at the Presbyterian Church, Sligo, by the Rev. Moffat Jackson, M.A., John, third son of James Sinclair, Sligo, to Sara, third daughter of Thomas Martin, Bellevue, Sligo.

STOKES--READ -- December 26, at St. Mary's Church, Painstown, County Meath, by the Rev. P. LaTouche, William, third son of Enoch Stokes, of Whitechurch, New Ross, to Suzette, third daughter of the late John Read, Grand Canal Harbour, Dublin.

WEBB--DAVIS -- December 27, at Friends' Meeting-house, Dublin, William W., son of the late Thomas W. Webb, of Griesemount, Ballytore, to Alice, only daughter of the late Robert Davis, of Clonmel.


FRAME -- January 1, at Anthony Hill, Montaugh, Charlotte Frame. Her remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Moneyrea, on to-morrow (Saturday) morning, 3rd inst., at eleven o'clock. -- Friends will please accept this (the only) intimation.

SMYTH -- January 1, at 31, Castle Street, Eliza Smyth. Funeral to-morrow (Saturday), at half-past two o'clock.

TAYLOR -- December 30, at 44, Relf Road, Peckham, London, James Taylor, H. M. Customs, late of Belfast. His remains will be removed from the Fleetwood steamer, on to-morrow (Saturday) morning, at nine o'clock, for interment in Newtownbreda burying-ground.

YOUNG -- December 31, at the Royal Hospital, Belfast, William Young, R.N., late Chief Officer of Coastguards, Bangor, aged forty-two years. Funeral will leave the Hospital at eleven o'clock a.m,, to-morrow (Saturday), for Carrickfergus New Cemetery.

-- -- -- -- --

CRANFIELD -- December 30, at 63, FitzJohn Avenue, London, Helena, third daughter of Thomas Cranfield, Esq., late of Airfield House, Dundrum.

FAULKNER -- December 30, at the residence of his son-in-law, Robert M'Intire, Melmount, Strabane, William Faulkner, aged seventy-eight years.

M'CORKELL -- December 30, at her residence, Glengallaugh, Mary, relict of the late Archibald M'Corkell.


BELFAST POLICE COURTS. -- Yesterday the presiding magistrate in the Custody Court was the Hon. Colonel Forbes, R.M. The majority of the prisoners in custody were charged with drunkenness and disorderly conduct. A lad named John Donnegan was charged by Detective-Constable M'Keown with having absconded from the Malone Protestant Reformatory upon the 30th ult. Mr. Coulter prosecuted. The detective having deposed to the arrest of Donnegan, Mr. Barclay, superintendent of the institution, deposed that the lad had been for some time prior to the 30th December an inmate thereof, and requested the Court to send him back to complete his term. His Worship, in acceding to the application, cautioned the prisoner that if he ever absconded again he would be sent to gaol for six months. -- Patrick Kerr, the stepfather of the last prisoner, was charged with having detained some clothing which had been worn by the prisoner, and which belonged to the Reformatory. The offence having been proved, the prisoner was sent to gaol for a month. -- John Boal was charged with having illegally pawned two pictures, and was fined 1 Irish. -- George Robinson, charged with the larceny of a turkey, was remanded in custody for a week. The presiding magistrates in the Summons Court were -- Messrs. MacCarthy, R.M.; R. L. Hamilton, John Browne, and William Bell. -- David Patterson was summoned at the instance of Constable John R. Doyle for having, on the 26th ult., driven a horse and vehicle on the wrong side of the road at Ballynafeigh, Mr. M'Lean prosecuted, and Mr. M'Erlean defended. It appeared from the evidence that the defendant had been driving along the centre of the road when he was observed by the constable. In reply to the Bench, Constable Doyle stated that the defendant did not cause any obstruction. Mr. Hamilton remarked that he failed to see the necessity for summoning the driver of a vehicle occupying the centre of the road when no obstruction was being caused. The constable stated that he had very strict orders regarding vehicular traffic. Their Worships dismissed the case.




At the Police Court here to day William Rauscher, second mate, and Ferdinand Kollpein, boatswain, of the American ship J. F. Chapman, were again charged on remand with the murder of a seaman named Jansen, off Cape Horn, on October 9. Captain Thompson and his chief mate were now examined. Both denied having ill used the deceased, and stated that Jansen never made any complaint of ill-treatment to them. The prisoners then made statements. Rauscher admitted having ordered Jansen to be lashed up for sleeping on his watch, and Kollpein said he once kicked the deceased for shirking work. The magistrate reserved his decision until Monday next.


LISBURN -- PETTY SESSIONS. -- The usual fortnightly Petty Sessions were held yesterday in the Courthouse, Lisburn, before Mr. Walter T. Stannus, D.L., J.P, (chairman), and Mr. Theodore Richardson, J. P. William J. Moore summoned Sarah Wallace for the alleged larceny of a purse, containing 1 5s 31, from his pocket on the 9th December last. Mr. F. W. Charley prosecuted, and Mr. W. H. Hancock defended. The Court dismissed the case. Latia Farrel and William Murray were charged by Samuel Curry with stealing 32s from him on the 2nd December last. Mr. Hancock defended. Case dismissed,


^ top of page

Northern Whig - Saturday, 3 January 1885


NELIS -- January 1, at 2, Princes Street, Londonderry, the wife of Patrick Nelis, of a daughter.

PIRRIE -- January 2, at Finsbury Square, London, the wife of J. Sinclair Pirrie, of Bombay, of a son.

PUREFOY -- January 4, at Belton House, South Circular Road, Dublin, the wife of the Rev. A. D. Purefoy, A.M, of a daughter.

SHAW -- January 1, at 23, Upper Pembroke Street, Dublin, the wife of James J. Shaw, Barrister-at-Law, of a daughter.


JOHNSTON--CONROY -- December 31, at the Methodist Church, Enniskillen, by the Rev. J. W. Jones, assisted by the Rev. R. Steward, William Johnston, Newbliss, County Monaghan, to Sarah, second daughter of the late Gordon Conroy, formerly of Busherstown, Roscrea, County Tipperary.

MORICE--DAWSON -- December 30, at the Parish Church, Sixmilebridge, County Clare, by the Right Rev. the Bishop of Killaloe, assisted by the Very Rev. the Dean of Kilfenora and the Rev. J. G. Birch, Rector of the Parish, Francis Morice, Esq , of Springfield, to Annie, eldest daughter of Richard Dawson, J.P., of Bunratty.

MULLIGAN--SIMPSON -- January 1, by special licence, at the residence of the bride's father, by the Rev. Jackson Smyth, D D., Francis Mulligan, H.M. Inland Revenue, Newry, to Emma, second daughter of William Simpson, Esq., Killeen House, Armagh.


HODKINSON -- January 2, at the residence of his father, Irish Quarter South, Carrickfergus, John, eldest son of James Hodkinson. His remains will be removed for interment in the New Burying-ground, on to-morrow (Sunday) evening, 4th inst., at three o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation.

RUSSELL -- December 31, at Belvidere Place, Dublin, Mary, relict of the late Thomas Russell, Esq., J.P., Killough.

SHORT -- December 30, at Scotstown, County Monaghan, Sarah, relict of the late James Short, aged fifty-two years.

TRACY -- January 1, at his residence, 2, Dungiven Road, Waterside, Derry, William Tracy, aged eighty-six years.




[Before the Hon. Colonel Forbes, R.M., and Mr. Alexander MacLaine]

LARCENY. -- Jane M'Carthy was charged with the larceny of a coat, the property of James M'Loughlin. Mr. Coulter prosecuted. It appeared that the owner of the article went to the house in which the prisoner lodged, and next morning found the coat missing. In answer to Mr. Coulter, he said that the coat was worth about 16s. He gave no authority to the prisoner to take it. The prisoner said that M'Loughlin was a consenting party to the giving of the coat, and it had not been removed from the room in which it was found by the police. The constable who arrested the prisoner said the house was a lodging-house. The prisoner was discharged.

ASSAULT. -- John Ligget was charged by Constable Crozier with assaulting a woman named M'Aulay in M'Cracken's Court, Ballymacarrett, on Christmas morning. Mr. Coulter prosecuted, and Mr. M'Erlean appeared for the defence. It transpired that M'Aulay and her husband, who reside in Seaforde Street, were in prisoner's house on the day referred to, and partook of drink. The two men quarrelled, and Ligget lifted a mallet to attack Mr. M'Aulay. Mrs. M'Aulay interfered, and Ligget lifted a sweeping brush and beat her. The injuries were of such a nature that she was obliged to go to the Royal Hospital. A fine of 20s and costs was imposed.

USE OF THE KNIFE. -- William Dunlop and Thomas Watt were charged by Head-Constable Reilly with stabbing two young men named Bowers and Vance in Bryson Street, Ballymacarrett, on Christmas night. According to the evidence for the prosecution, a young man named Robert Longridge was proceeding up Bryson Street on the night mentioned, when Watt, who was lying against the wall, struck him. Longridge returned the blow, and Dunlop came out of a house and struck him. Bowers and Vance then came up and interfered on behalf of Longridge, and in the scuffle which ensued Bowers was stabbed in the arm and Vance on the shoulder. No knife, however, was discovered on either prisoner. Mr. Samuel Charles and Mr. Todd having given prisoners a good character, Colonel Forbes said the affair appeared to be of the nature of a street row, and the prisoners would be discharged.

CHARGE OF SHOOTING. -- Two lads named Turney and Keenan were charged on remand by Constable M'Loone with injuring another lad named Edward Reilly, residing in Baker Street, by firing a pistol at him on Thursday week. As Reilly was still unable to attend, the BENCH decided to discharge Keenan and to remand Turney for another week -- bail, however, being taken for his appearance.

SERIOUS ASSAULT. -- Robert M'Bride and John M'Bride were charged by Constable Patrick Hynes with seriously assaulting Hugh Jordan on Christmas night in Howard Street South. After evidence had been given, a fine of 20s and costs was imposed.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


[Before Messrs. Thomas M'Clelland and F. J. MacCarthy, R.M.]

OBSTRUCTING THE THOROUGHFARE. -- John W. White was summoned for having obstructed the thoroughfare in North Street on the 19th December. Mr. James M'Lean, jun., prosecuted, and Mr. M'Erlean was for the defence. The case had already been twice before the Court. On each occasion there was a disagreement between the magistrates, and it was now brought forward a third time as a test. The evidence went to show that on the date in question the defendant called at a bootmaker's shop in North Street in order to get a pair of boots, and during the five minutes he was undergoing the operation of fitting Head-Constable Cosgrove ordered that the defendant's horse and cart should be moved on. Mr. Beverland, with whom the defendant was negotiating, refused to allow the vehicle to be moved, and consequently a summons was taken out. The defence was that there were upwards of fifty carts in North Street at the time, that the defendant was singled out as a victim of "police tyranny," that there was no obstruction whatever, and that the head-constable was not justified in taking the high-handed proceedings he did on the occasion. It was alleged that the defendant was not summoned for obstruction, but because he refused to comply with the orders of the head-constable. Mr. M'Clelland held that the cart should have been moved on when the policeman requested the man to do so. If the defendant wanted a pair of boots he should have left his cart some where else. A fine of 5s, with 12s 6d costs, was imposed. Subsequently the costs were mitigated to 3s.



MAJOR MALCOLM, of the 1st Battalion Border Regiment, has been ordered to hold himself in readiness to embark about the 20th of February, in the Serapis, for passage to Bombay, and will join head-quarters.

Lieutenant Oakes, of the 4th Battalion Middlesex Regiment, has joined the 1st Battalion of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, quartered at Richmond Barracks, as a temporary arrangement.

The non-commissioned officers of the Royal Artillery in Ireland, selected for the short course of instruction in gunnery, have been ordered to join the class at Shoeburynees to-day.

Orders have been issued from the Horse Guards to prepare a draft, to consist of a sergeant, two corporals, and 120 privates, for the 1st Battalion Leinster Regiment, to be held in readiness to embark about the 20th of February, for conveyance to Bombay.


Last year the total number of applications for letters patent was 17,110.

The Sultan's pleasure is awaited for the launching at Constantinople of the ironclad frigate which has been nearly seven years on the stocks.

In recognition of his services as an Irish historian, the Rev. C. P. Meehan, Roman Catholic priest, has been offered 150 out of the Royal Bounty Fund by Mr. Gladstone.





This afternoon, at two o'clock, an accident of a shocking character occurred at the new harbour. A young man named John Hodkinson, a clerk in the employment of Mr. T. D. Lewin, contractor for the harbour improvements, was at that time engaged in making preparations for blasting operations on large blocks at present lying inside the new works. At the hour mentioned he appears to have been the sole occupant of a small house, about 10 feet square, which is situate at the north end of the west pier. It is believed that he was in the act of heating some dynamite cartridges, a process which it seems is necessary to be gone through in order to prepare them for the fuse. He had been accustomed to do so for some time past. While so engaged it is presumed that the cartridges were heated to too great an extent, which caused them to explode with a terrific noise. The report was heard by the men working in a shed adjoining the house, who proceeded to ascertain the cause. On entering a frightful spectacle presented itself. Poor Hodkinson was found lying at the end of the house most remote from the fireplace, and near the door. He was terribly injured. Dr. Taggart was in immediate attendance, and had the injured man removed to his residence, which is close by. On examination it was found that the poor fellow had bean fatally injured, and that death must result in a very short space of time. His skull was severely fractured, and his face presented a sad appearance, his eyes having been blown out. The left jaw was broken, and the flesh torn away. The skin was partially off the right cheek. There was a deep indentation on the forehead above the left eye, and the entire face was charred and quite black. The left hand was blown off, and up to a late hour had not been found, and there was also a compound fracture of the legs. There were a great many lacerated wounds over the body. Dr. Taggart did everything possible to alleviate the sufferings of the unfortunate young man, and bandaged his wounds. He seemed unconscious of pain. Immediately before his death, which took place about four o'clock, the pain appeared to subside, and he passed quietly away. A visit to the house proved that the explosion must have been very severe. The slates are for the most part blown off the roof, and the ceiling inside is completely gone. The chimney has been blown away, and the fireplace thrown down. Portions of boxes in which dynamite cartridges had been placed were to be found lying about, as were also workmen's tools and broken barrels, &c. In fact the inside of the house was a scene of terrible confusion, and looked like a dilapidated lumber store. The men outside must have had a narrow escape, as they were working close to the place where deceased met his death. The noise of the explosion was heard throughout the town, and many of the inhabitants made their way to the scene of the accident. The deceased was a steady and industrious young man, and was highly respected in this town, where his parents reside. Very much sympathy is felt for his family and friends. An inquest on the body will be held.


^ top of page

Northern Whig - Monday, 5 January 1885


COPLAND -- January 2, at Orchardstown House, Rathfarnham, the wife of Thomas C. Copland, of a son.

DENHAM -- December 31, at 25, Northumberland Road, Dublin, the wife of J. Knox Denham, of a son.

GAFFIKIN -- December 27, at No 2, Wilmont Place, the wife of William Gaffikin, of a daughter -- prematurely.


JOHNSTON--HARMON -- December 30, at Monkstown Church, County Dublin, by the Rev. Mr. Mahaffy, William Frederick Johnston, eldest son of Williain Johnston, Dundalk, to Sarah Harmon, widow of the late Thomas Harmon, Torboy, County Longford.

RYAN--MAUL -- January 1, at the Catholic Church, Weston Underwood, by the Rev. Arthur Ryan, assisted by the Rev. George P. Stokes, Walter, youngest son of the late John Ryan, Esq., Scarteen, County Limerick, to Alice, youngest daughter of the late J. C. Maul, Esq, The Lodge, Newport Pagnell, Bucks.

TENISON--POWER -- January 1, at Holy Trinity Church, Rathmines, Dublin, by the Rev. S. M. Harris, incumbent, Arthur Herron Ryan, son of Edward Ryan Tenison, Esq, M.D., London, to Lucy Susan, second daughter of the late Samuel Hall Power, Esq., Dublin.


CHAMBERS -- January 2, at the residence of her son-in-law, William Arnold, Bell Field, Spa, Ballynahinch, Jane, relict of James Chambers, Drumgavlin, Magherahamlet, aged eighty-seven years. Funeral this day (Monday), at twelve o'clock.

FORSYTH -- January 4, at 56, Duncairn Street, Antrim Road, Hannah, fifth daughter of the late John Forsyth, formerly of Limavady, and late of Pittsburg, U.S. Her remains will be removed for interment in Limavady Church Burying-ground, on to-morrow (Tuesday) morning, 6th inst., train arriving at 9.20 a.m. Friends will please accept this (the only) intimation.

M'CAUGHY -- Suddenly, at his residence, Mountview, Dromore, County Down, David M'Caughy. Funeral on to-morrow (Tuesday), 6th inst, at one o'clock precisely, to Dromore Burying-ground. Friends will please accept this intimation.

WEIR -- January 3, at her residence, High Street, Lurgan, after a very brief illness, Eliza Ann Weir. Her remains will be removed for interment in the New Cemetery, Lurgan, on to-morrow (Tuesday) morning, 6th inst, at ten o'clock.

-- -- -- -- -- --

BLAIN -- January 2, at her late residence, Killybegs, Prudence Blain, eldest daughter of the late William Blain.

BOLAND -- January 1, at his residence, The Square, Gort, County Galway, John Boland, aged seventy-seven years.

GAFFIKIN -- January 4, at No. 2, Wilmont Place, Kate, infant daughter of William Gaffikin.


BELFAST POLICE COURTS. -- On Saturday, to the Custody Court, the Hon. Colonel Forbes, R.M.; Mr. R. L. Hamilton, J.P.; and Mr. Robert MacGeagh, J.P., presided. There were only a few cases on the books. Isabella Bogan was charged with having been drunk and disorderly on the previous night, and with having assaulted the police after her arrest. It appeared that after being taken into custody the prisoner assaulted the constable several times, and tore his tunic. She had been sixty-six times convicted previously. Their Worship's ordered her to be imprisoned for nine months. George Wilson, a young man, was charged, at the suit of Detective-Constable Nesbitt, with having obtained goods by means of false pretences from Joseph Thompson, Whitla Street. Mr. Harper defended. The evidence showed that Thompson kept a lodging-house in Whitla Street. On the 6th ult. the prisoner went to the house, and represented that he was an officer stationed in Strabane, and that he was doing duty as a policeman in Belfast. He was supplied with food and lodging from the 7th until the 29th ult. on the strength of the statement he had made, Thompson believing that he was a member of the constabulary force. It subsequently came to the knowledge of the lodging-house keeper that the prisoner had been discharged from the force before the date of the present transaction. The Bench returned the prisoner for trial to the Quarter Sessions, John M'Knight was charged with drunkenness and disorderly conduct, and with having assaulted Constable Screenan after his arrest. Evidence having been given, the prisoner was sent to gaol for two months. The Summons Court did not sit.



MAJOR GENERAL W. H. SEYMOUR, C.B., Colonel of the 3rd Dragoon Guards, has been placed on retired pay under the provisions of the Royal Warrant of the 10th of last June.

Lieutenant-Colonel E. Williams, of the 1st Battalion Liverpool Regiment, has been granted permission to travel in France, Switzerland, and Italy during the period of his leave of absence.

Lieutenant Colonel Allen, Captain Schank, and Lieutenants Gardiner, Goff, and Richardson, of the 1st Battalion Highland Light Infantry, have been granted permission to travel on the Continent during the period of their leave of absence.

Major J. M. Benthall, for some time on half-pay, has retired from the service by the surrender of his half pay, and been granted the honorary rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.

The Queen has been graciously pleased to approve of the 10th (Prince of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars being permitted to bear the words "Egypt, 1884," on its appointments; and of the undermentioned regiments, which already bear on their appointments or colours the words "Egypt, 1882." being permitted to add thereto the date "1884," in commemoration of their distinguished and gallant behaviour during the campaign in the Eastern Soudan:-- 19th Hussars, the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), the King's Royal Rifle Corps, the York and Lancaster Regiment, the Gordon Highlanders, and the Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish) Fusiliers.

Though not officially announced, it is generally understood that the Volunteers will have two field days at Easter -- one at Dover and the other at Aldershot; so that if, as anticipated, there is a ready adherence to the proposal that the Volunteers should work with regular troops at Aldershot and Dover, there is promise of two large displays. The claims of Brighton and Portsmouth are postponed for consideration till 1886.



Dublin, Sunday.

The reported murder near Athlone, County Roscommon, turns out to have been merely death from exposure, but under very peculiar circumstances. It appears that on New Year's Night between thirty and forty people, men and woman, assembled at the house of John Murray, of Craigaun, to spend the evening. A half barrel of porter had been provided by subscription, and those present drank freely of it. There was some dispute about half-past ten at night about the right to the accommodation for dancing, the dancing being performed on a door laid on the earthen floor. A tussle followed, and some blows were struck, but it does not appear that the deceased, a young man of seventeen, suffered any violence. He was found shortly after midnight lying on his face across a low wall, quite dead, and with nothing on him but his trousers and boots. The medical evidence was to the effect that the deceased died from congestion of the lungs, which, it was believed, had been caused by exposure. There were a few scratches on the arms, but nothing that would be at all sufficient to cause death. The jury returned a verdict accordingly.



^ top of page