The Witness - Friday, 3 April, 1914


PYPER -- April 1, at Duncairn Manse, to Rev. James and Mrs. Pyper -- a daughter.

WILKIN -- March 29, 1914, at Marine View, Newcastle, Co. Down, to Mr. and Mrs. James Wilkin -- a son.


ATKINSON -- April 1, at 2, Clonlee, Larne, Margaret, youngest daughter of the late Miles Atkinson.

BELL -- March 27, at Carnaughliss, Alexander Bell.

BRAITHWAITE -- March 26, at Tullynacross, Lambeg, Maria, widow of the late William J. Braithwaite.

BURNSIDE -- March 20, at "Richmond," Holywood, Margaret Frances Finlay, beloved wife of John A. Burnside.

COWAN -- April 1, at Clady Cottage, Dunadry, near Belfast, Elizabeth Thomson, widow of the late John Cowan.

CRAWFORD -- March 28, at Cliftonville Road, Belfast, William Crawford, formerly of Gortnagallon, Crumlin.

DIAMOND -- March 28, at Milford, Co. Donegal, James Arbuckle Diamond, J.P.

DICKSON -- March 26, at 44, Bridge End, Robert, husband of Eliza Jane Dickson (20 years Principal teacher of Ballystockart N. School).

DUNLOP -- March 31, at Purdysburn Hospital Robert Alexander (Bertie), eldest son of Robert Dunlop, 117, The Mount, Belfast.

FERGUSON -- March 28, at Private Nursing Home, James Ferguson, late of 16, Fitzroy Avenue, Belfast, second son of the William John Ferguson, Belfast.

GILOMRE -- March 24, at Drumnacalvey, Portadown, John Gilmore, in his 76th year.

GREER -- March 26, at Ballinahinch House, Richhill, Elizabeth, youngest daughter of the late Nathaniel Greer, in her 79th year.

HERON -- March 27, at Bridge Street, Portadown, (?)essie, wife of Dr. Heron.

JAFFE -- Martin, of 138, Sutherland Avenue, Lon(?)on, eldest son of the late Daniel Joseph Jaffe, aged 74 years.

LAVENDER -- March 31, at 4, Ballymoney Road, Ballymena, W. J. Lavender, husband of Margaret M. Lavender.

LYTLE -- March 24, at 18, Ardenvohr Street, Elizabeth Grace, wife of William Lytle.

MARTIN -- March 29, at her residence, Aughlargue, Stewartstown, Eliza, widow of the late James Martin, aged 76 years.

MEGAW -- March 29, at 59, Donegall Street, Annie Elizabeth, wife of John Megaw.

MORRISON -- April 1, at 3, Earlmount, Portrush, Sarah, wife of Robert Morrison.

MOSS -- March 27, at 10, Park Avenue, Bangor, John Moss.

M'BRATNEY -- March 26, at 55, Cliftonpark Avenue, Samuel M'Bratney, aged 73.

M'CULLOUGH -- March 28, at Ballyboley, Greyabbey, Elizabeth, wife of Alexander M'Cullough.

M'MILLAN -- April 1, at Island Hill, Comber, Hugh M'Millan.

M'MORDIE -- March 25, at his residence, Cabin Hill, Knock, Robert James M'Mordie, M.A., M.P., in his 66th year.

NELSON -- March 28 at Annadorn, John Nelson.

NEVILLE -- March 26, at (7), Derg Street, Belfast, (Ro)bert, husband of [--?--] J. Neville.

NEWELL -- March 28, at 140, Wilton Street, Margaret Newell.

PARKINSON -- March 27, at Ard-na-geeha, Downpatrick, Edward Parkinson, Solicitor.

PHILIPS -- March 25, at 85, University Street, (?)y J. Philips, eldest daughter of the late J. Philips.

ROBINSON -- April 1, at Royal Victoria Hospital, (Ja)mes Jones, aged 20 years, third son of James Robinson.

SAVAGE -- March 30, at 3, Maryville Terrace, Dunmurry, Gordon, husband of Grace Savage.

SHARPE -- April 1, at 124 and 126, Castlereagh Road, Elizabeth (Lizzie), wife of John Sharpe.

SHEALS -- March 30, 1914, at her residence, Duncairn Terrace, Belfast, Margaret, widow of late Patrick Sheals, Esq., Solicitor.

SMYLY -- March 20, at 5, Newsham Terrace, (D)ouglas, Annie Calvert Smyly, in her 69th year.

SWANN -- March 27, at 2, Ulsterville Gardens, (Isa)bella Swann.

TODD -- March 29, at Benmore, Waverley Drive, Bangor, Captain David Q. Todd.

WATSON -- March 27, at his residence, Bridge Street, Dromore, Arthur Watson, in his 72nd year.




In the House of Commons on Friday Mr. Jowett moved the second reading of the Education (Administrative Provisions) Bill.

Mr. Jowett explained the object of his Bill was to transfer the final responsibility for deciding whether a child was underfed from the educational authorities to medical officers. The measure legalised the feeding of children during vacation, and gave power to the Board of Education to take measures for forcing compliance with the Act.

Sir F. Banbury moved the rejection of the Bill, believing it was based on the dangerous doctrines that it would sap the responsibility of parents and encourage young people to marry when they were not in a position to do so.

Mr. J. A. Pease expressed strong sympathy with the object of the Bill, and hoped the House would give it a second reading. If the Bill passed with amendments it could not fail to diminish the amount of suffering dud to malnutrition. He could not, however, accept the compulsory provisions of the Bill.

The motion for the rejection was negatived without a division, and the Bill was read a second time amid cheers.





Early on Friday morning Abbeylands, Whiteabbey, the residence of Sir Hugh M'Calmont, was completely destroyed by fire, the origin of which is up to the present wrapped in mystery. The outbreak was discovered by a night watchman employed in a mill near by, who immediately gave the alarm, and the caretaker of Dr. Reid's house at Whiteabbey telephoned for the Belfast Fire Brigade. The call was received at headquarters at about 3-53, and a motor pump machine in charge [--?--] [--?--] Stafford was soon on its way to the [--?--] [--?--] brigade neared the scene it was a beautiful -- yet terrible -- spectacle that met their eyes. The flames were bursting from the roof and almost every window, and were lighting up the whole neighbourhood.

The men immediately got to work, but from the first their task was hopeless, for the flames had secured a firm hold on all parts of the building, and, added to this, was a rather restricted water supply -- they had only the assistance of one jet from the main and one first aid jet from the motor -- and inside three hours the place was completely burned to the ground.

The house, which was a two-storey building standing in its own grounds, has not been in occupation for some years, and contained no furniture. It was completely new, however, and it is expected that the damage will run into several thousand pounds.

To the origin of the outbreak there is at present no clue, but the local belief is that it was caused by the Suffragettes. The Belfast detective staff have the matter in hands.

Forty or fifty yards from the house were found a current issue of "The Suffragette" and three postcards pinned on to it bearing the words -- "To betray women is to court disaster," and "The women's blaze will illuminate the world. We need to be driven."

By the owner's permission the grounds surrounding the house had been used recently for drill in the day time by the local battalion of the Ulster Volunteer Force.



The death of the above-named gentleman at his residence, Bridge Street, Dromore, on Friday evening, was the cause of much regret. The late Mr. Watson took an active part in the affairs of his native town, and from 1878 until the Local Government Act of 1898 served the ratepayers on the Town Council. Under the present system he was elected as a member of the Urban' Council, and acted as chairman of that body on several occasions with distinction and ability. Mr. Watson was a Presbyterian of the old school, and never failed in his attendance at public worship in the First Dromore Church, of which he was a member of committee for almost half a century. He also acted for a lengthened period as treasurer of the church. His eldest son, Rev. John Watson, is at present pastor of the congregation at Carlingford. He took a keen but not a very active interest in politics, and naturally held strong Protestant and Unionist views. His wife predeceased him some years ago, and, in addition to Rev. John Watson, he is survived by three other sons and two daughters, with whom there is widespread sympathy.



Local and Provincial.

The Portadown Orange Hall has been let to eh Woman's Unionist Association, to be used as an hospital in the event of an outbreak of civil war, and is at present being done up and furnished.

On Saturday afternoon the new Orange [--?--] at Marlecoo, recently erected by the members of L.O.L. No 306 (Tandragee district), was formally opened by Mr. Maynard [--?--], J.P., Ballyards House, Armagh.

At Crumlin on Monday Alexander Swain, [-?-yford], who pleaded guilty to stealing a [-?-er] of taps and dies from the blacksmith's shop of Thomas Steele, Glenavy, on [-?-] inst., value 3, was sentenced to two months' imprisonment, with hard labour.

[-?-en] M'Shane, a returned Australian, [-?-] alone at Keggal, near Camlough, has [-?-] missing from the district since Friday, [-?-] which date he left, presumably to go to [-?-npoint] Fair. Since then all trace of [-?-] has been lost, despite the most searching inquiries.

On the evening of the 25th ult. the body [-?-] little boy, Joseph Henry Nixon, of [-?-sie] Avenue, Omagh, who fell into the [-?-] Strule, convenient to his home, on 23rd [-?=] was recovered from the river by his [-?-] Harry Nixon, and a man named Robert [-?-]. The body was entirely unrecognisable, [-?-] easily identified by the clothing.

The funeral of the late Mr. Edward [Parkinson] solicitor, Downpatrick, whose death occurred on Friday, took place on Sunday afternoon to the Down Cathedral Cemetery. [-?-] and educated in the county town. Mr. [Parkinson] entered the employment of Messrs. [?] Wallace & Co., solicitors, and in due [-?-] qualified as a solicitor, remaining with [-?-] to the end.

At Newry Quarter Sessions on Friday, [-?-] Walmsley, Ballykeel, sought 2,500 compensation for the alleged malicious burning of two scutch mills, his property, on the [-?-] February last. The Judge gave a [de-?-] for 400, the amount to be levied off Administrative County of Down. He [-?-] allowed 10 10s costs and witnesses' [-?-es] -- costs to be taxed.

At an inquest on Saturday last into the death of James Jones, farmer, Annaghheiran, [-?-] on the previous day hanging from a [-?-] in a barn attached to his house, the [-?-] found that he met his death by hanging [-?-] while in a fit of temporary insanity. Another inquest on the same day at Muff [-?-] the death of Thomas Dyas Dr. Dempsey [-?-] evidence of deceased suffering from a [-?-] heart, and a verdict was returned of [-?-] from syncope.

[-?-ill] was shocked on Friday when it [-?-] known that Miss Greer, of Ballina(?) House, had died suddenly at her residence. The deceased lady had apparently [-?-] her usual good health in the morning, and [-?-] just got on her outdoor shoes, with the (intent)ion of taking a walk in the garden, [-?-] she leaned on the arm of a servant, and [-?-] immediately expired, Miss Greer, who [-?-] the last of the family at Ballinahinch [-?-] was almost eighty years of age.

The Commissioners of National Education have ordered that Mr. T. Macartney, B.A., principal teacher of Kilbride National School, be specially promoted to first grade from 1st April 1913. Mr. Macartney has been teaching for only thirteen years, so that his promotion has been exceptionally rapid.

In the Council Chamber of Lurgan Town Hall on Tuesday Mr. G. B. Deane, Board of Trade Inspector, opened an inquiry into an application made by the Lurgan Urban Council for a provisional order authorising the expenditure of 12,000 on the promotion of a municipal electric lighting scheme for the township.

Mr. Coroner Atkinson held an inquest on the body of Maggie Ethel Ritchie, the seven-year-old child of a labourer residing in Irwin Street, Portadown, who died from the effects of burns accidentally received while her parents were absent at work. The jury found that deceased died from shock, the result of extensive burns.

Mrs. Murray, of Iniskeen, Newcastle, widow of the well-known tobacco manufacturer in Belfast, has placed her commodious residence, which is within easy reach of Newcastle, at the service of the Ulster Volunteers. Structural and other alterations are being effected for the purpose of transforming the house into an hospital, and a great number of beds have already been installed.

On Tuesday at Strabane Board of Guardians' meeting Mr. Perry, a member of Strabane Urban Council and chairman Strabane Gas Committee, attended the meeting for the purpose of making arrangements regarding the installation of gaslight in the Workhouse by the Urban Council. It was decided that the Urban Council be asked to proceed with the contract without delay.

An old man named Graydon, who lives alone in Maguiresbridge, sustained severe burns to the legs and body, and had a narrow escape from being burned to death, on the night of the 26th inst., as the result of a heated brick, serving as a hot-water bottle, igniting the bedclothes around him. His cries for help attracted the attention of a man named Rainbird, who quickly extinguished the flames. Dr. Thompson was subsequently called in, and treated the patient's injuries.

On Saturday evening the Myroe companies of the U.V.F. to the number of 100 men paraded at the Orange Hall, Myroe, under the command of Messrs. James Mark and Wm. Neely, company commanders, and the various section commanders, and were inspected by Dr. J. C. B. Proctor, M.A., B.L. The men were fully equipped with rifles, bandoliers, haversacks, and belts. After inspection the companies marched to

After inspection the companies marched to Wheatfield, where Dr. Proctor exercised the men for three and a half hours.

On Thursday evening General Sir William Adair, K.C.B., accompanied by Colonel H. Lyle, D.S.O., inspected No. 1 half-company of Ballycastle Company, Ulster Volunteer Force, which parade sixty-five strong. The Volunteers paraded at the Drill Hall and marched to Carnsampson, where night operations were carried out under the various officers. General Sir William Adair complimented the men on their smart soldierly appearance and on the efficient manner in which they carried out the various movements.


An unknown man on Saturday evening fell over the cliffs at Beachy Head and was instantly killed.

The death occurred on Friday, in his 90th year, of Mr. W. H. Duigman, Clerk of the Peace for Walsall.

Mr. Harry Obell, the well-known Labour leader and general organiser of the Dockers' Union died at Bournemouth on Friday.

News has been received at Leeds of the death at Bristol on Monday of Rev. Wm. Redfern, President of the United Methodist Conference, aged sixty-two.

The death is announced of Major-General Frederick Horace Arthur Seymour, at San Remo, aged 78. His mother was the eldest daughter of the Marquis of Bristol.

Lieutenant-General Sir W. Freeman Kelly, colonel of the Royal Sussex Regiment, who saw service in Egypt and South Africa, died at the British Hospital at Algiers on Friday.

The dispute in the boot and shoe trade at Wollaston and Bozeat, Northamptonshire, has been amicably settled, the demand of the operators for a minimum wage having been granted.

Dr. Robert Fraser, Roman Catholic Bishop of Dunkeld, died at Dundee on Saturday night at the age of fifty-five. His death will come as a great shock to the Roman Catholic community, as comparatively few knew that he was not in the best of health. The late clergyman underwent an operation on Saturday and died some time later.

Information has been received at Southport that the wife of James Rimmer, attendant at the Carnegie Library, and keeper of the Town Hall at Birkdale, Southport, has inherited a large fortune from her uncle in Switzerland. It is understood that the estate, including vineyards, has been left entirely to her and her brother. Mrs. Rimmer is a confirmed invalid. Her share is stated to be 30,000.

The death occurred at Exmouth on Monday of Major Henry Montgomery Campbell, late of the Royal Artillery, from injuries sustained last night in a revolver accident. He was cleaning a five-chambered revolver he had purchased a fortnight ago when the weapon went off. The bullet entered his groin, and travelling up through the body lodged in the shoulder. Major Campbell was unaware that one chamber of the revolver was loaded. An operation was performed, and the bullet extracted, but Major Campbell died as stated this morning.

Thirty-two men belonging to the French fishing schooner Jeanne d'Arc were landed at Falmouth on Sunday. During Saturday night the schooner, which was bound from Fecamp for Newfoundland, was in collision about forty miles south of Longships with the Glasgow steamer Victoria, which was on a voyage from the Clyde to Bordeaux with a cargo of coal. In endeavouring to launch a boat to rescue the Frenchmen two of the Victoria's crew were drowned, and Mr. Graham M'Lean, chief officer, of Glasgow, was badly injured, several of his ribs being crushed or broken. The Frenchmen saved themselves in their own boat, and the schooner was afterwards set on fire in order that she should not become a danger to navigation. The Victoria was also badly damaged.


Winnipeg, Saturday. -- The liberal party of Manitoba has pledged itself to grant the vote to women.

After ascending near St. Petersburg in an aeroplane to a height of nearly 10,000ft, in thirty-five minutes M. Gaber-Vlinsky was forced to descend owing to the extreme cold, and reached the ground covered with snow.




At Wednesday's meeting of the Belfast Corporation, the newly-elected Lord Mayor (Councillor Crawford M'Cullagh, J.P.) proposed the following resolution:-- "That it be recorded in the minutes of this Council that the late Lord Mayor, Councillor R. J. M'Mordie, M.A., M.P., of Cabin Hill, Knock, Belfast, was elected a Councillor for the Ward of Victoria on the 16th January, 1907. He served with ability, and to the great advantage of the city, on important committees of the Corporation, and took an active part in the general administration of the affairs of the municipality. On the 23rd January, 1910, he was unanimously chosen for the office of Lord Mayor at the city, a position which he filled with such marked acceptance and success that he was four times re-elected to the Lord Mayoralty, for which, by natural ability, literary attainments, legal experience, and social position, he was pre-eminently qualified. In addition to his onerous duties as Lord Mayor, Councillor M'Mordie accepted, in 1910, the representation in the Imperial parliament of the large and important constituency of the East Belfast Division. He discharged, his Parliamentary responsibilities with conscientious ability. Councillor M'Mordie loved the city, and he devoted himself to the promotion and safeguarding of the interests of her citizens. He never spared himself, but always responded to the call of duty, no matter what strain his doing so imposed upon him. As a genial host Councillor M'Mordie excelled, and his hospitalities during his extended term of office were unrivalled. As a mark of the esteem in which he and his beloved partner were held by the citizens, both were elected honorary Burgesses of the city on the 23rd January, 1914, and the presentation of the certificates of their election was made the occasion of a popular demonstration in the shape of a citizens' banquet on the 5th February of this year, when Councillor and Mrs. M'Mordie were the guests of the citizens. By his unexpected death, after a very brief illness, the Corporation have lost a beloved and honoured colleague, and the citizens a tried and trusted friend."

Alderman Sir James Henderson, D.L., in sympathetic terms seconded the resolution, which was passed in silence.


At a meeting of the Executive Committee of the North Belfast Unionist Association. held in the offices of the association yesterday -- Mr. B. W. D. Montgomery occupying the chair -- the following resolution was unanimously passed -- "The Executive Committee of North Belfast Parliamentary Division desire to place on record an expression of their deep sorrow on hearing of the death of Mr. R. J. M'Mordie, M.A., M.P., Lord Mayor of Belfast. All sections of the community mourn the loss of one who has for many years taken a deep and practical interest in everything connected with the life and welfare of the city. As Lord Mayor, Mr. M'Mordie, during the past five years, has never spared himself in anything that was for the public good, and he was regarded by the people with feelings of the deepest respect and affection. As representative in Parliament of the East Belfast Division he enjoyed the absolute confidence of his fellow-citizens, who always felt that their interests were safe in his hands. The Executive Committee on behalf of the members of the North Belfast Unionist Association beg to convey to Mrs. M'Mordie and the members of her family an assurance of their deep sympathy in the loss they have sustained."



Sir Hubert Herkomer died at Budleigh Salterton, Devon, at 6-15 on Tuesday evening.

Sir Hubert, who was born at Waal, Bavaria, was in his sixty-fifth year. He was elected A.R.A. in 1879, and a Royal Academician in 1890. He was a member of various foreign academies, and Slade Professor of Fine Arts at Oxford for nine years. Among many distinctions conferred upon him was the French Grand Medal of Honour, presented at Paris in 1878 for his famous picture, "The Last Muster." The distinguished artist, who resided at Bushey, Herts, where he founded the Herkcomer School of Art, had an affection for East Devon towns, and presented his picture, "The Tryst," to Exeter Art Gallery. He was knighted in 1907. Sir Hubert Herkomer was sent to Budleigh Salterton by his London, medical adviser last Monday, suffering from asthma and arteris sclerosis, which was followed by pneumonia. On Monday he became unconscious, and so remained until his death last evening.



It was recently declared by a scientist of Continental eminence that it would be quite easy to destroy a large railway station or any similar erection with four bombs of a modern type dropped from a height of 5,000 feet, and that bombs thrown from dirigible aircraft at an altitude of 350 feet could annihilate everybody upon an area of nine square feet. This is a mighty startling reflection, but it is more comforting, and certainly more conducive to material felicity, to dwell on what the earth produces rather than the remote possibility of death from the skies. One of the greatest products of mother Nature is the rice crop, which is extensively cultivated in warm climates, and which forms a large portion of the food of mankind. A good rice diet, such as we all can have by acquiring a packet of White's Pure Flaked Rice, is a veritable constitution-builder. We cannot all be wealthy, but we can all be opulent in riches more alluring than .s.d -- we can have health, happiness, and felicity. The delicious flaked rice furnishes all three, and it is stocked by all grocers. Ask for White's Pure Flaked Rice.



It is with feelings of deep regret that the neighbours and friends of Mr. V. J. Ellison heard on Wednesday morning of his death the previous evening. Although the sad event occurred somewhat suddenly, it was not unexpected by his family nor unanticipated by himself. By Mr. Ellison's death a worthy descendant of that excellent class -- the Puritan Yeoman of a former time -- has passed away amid the regret and respect of all creeds and classes in in the community, of which he was a notable member, and his neighbours of every degree manifestly felt it to be an honour to bear his remains to their resting-place in the sequestered churchyard of the village. The chief mourners were -- Edward Ellison, R.D.C. (brother); Thomas, Joseph, and Frederick Ellison (sons); Messrs. Wallace and Boyce and the Rv. A. Eadie, of Kilkeel (sons-in-law). The funeral service was conducted by the Rev. S. Matthews, of Wicklow, assisted by the Rev. A. Eadie, of Kilkeel, Co. Down.

The Rev. S. Matthews preached in the Town Hall, Shillelagh, at the Presbyterian monthly service on Tuesday evening. The late Mr. Ellison was rarely absent from any service, was treasurer to the congregation, and its most devoted and generous member. The text was -- "And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elijah, who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease, which he was about to accomplish at Jerusalem." Mr. Matthews, at the conclusion of his sermon, said -- It never occurred to me, when arranging to speak to you as I have done this evening, that my text would have a peculiar fitness to our condition this evening. We are all bereaved, some of us as deeply pierced by the pain of parting as human hearts can be. It surely is calming, joy-restoring, inspiring to remember Heaven is. The saints are there. They can come to us here. That our brother, being a believer !n and a servant of Jesus in deed and in truth, has been perfected in holiness, and has passed into glory. He has passed from his earthly tabernacle to his house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. He has accomplished all the incidents of his passing from here to there -- from the flying moments to the eternal now. An intense realist, believer, and worker, he strenuously sought, and with success, to discharge his duty in all the relations of life, and we may well recall his maxims and actions for guidance and imitation to accomplish our decease. Amen.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 10 April, 1914


O'NEILL -- March 15, at Fakumen, Manchuria, to Rev. F. W. S. and Mrs. O'Neill -- a son.


CARMAN--TAYLOR -- March 25, 1914, at the home of the bride's friends, Fonda, Iowa, by the Rev. J. H. Tice, Ulysses G. Carman, Fonda, to Maggie Taylor, elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Taylor, Enfield Cottages, Craigavad, County Down, Ireland.

CURRIE--HAMILTON -- April 2, at the Blantyre Church in the Church of Scotland Mission, Nyasaland, Africa, by the Rev. Alex. Hetherwick, D.D., Hamilton Currie, eldest son of William Currie, Glasgow, to Isabel, second daughter of James Hamilton, Dunbun(?)aver, Newtownstewart, Co. Tyrone.

PALEY--MOORE -- Feb. 9, 1914, at the English Church, Suva, Fiji, Dr. W. N. A. Paley, son of the late Dr. Paley, East London, South Africa, to Nora Anderson, youngest daughter of the late Thomas Moore, Esq., of Armagh, and Mrs. Moore, Tobernea Terrace, Monkstown, County Dublin.

RANKIN--HENDERSON -- April 6, at Fortwilliam Presbyterian Church, by Rev. W. A. Watson, M.A., assisted by Rev. James Pyper, B.A., William James Rankin, L.P.S.I., eldest son of W. J. Rankn, 82, Limestone Road, to Winifred Mabel (Freda), daughter of William Henderson, 81, Limestone Road, Belfast.


BROWN -- April 2, at his residence, New Road, Donaghadee, James A. Brown, of Newtownards. His remains were interred in the family burying-ground, Movilla, Newtownards on Saturday, 4th inst.

M'BRIDE -- At her residence, 2, Avoca Street, Rostrevor, Susan, widow of the late William M'Bride, of Moneyslane. Interred in Ballyroney Meeting-house Green, on Thursday, 9th April, 1914.

BAXTER -- April 2, at 17, Cliftonville Avenue, James Baxter, Audit Department, Midland Railway (N.C.C.).

BLAIR -- April 4, at a Private Hospital, Edward Sharman Blair, of Rusheen, Glenburn Park, Belfast.

BRIGGS -- April 6, at 66, Joy Street, William Briggs.

BURNS -- April 2, at Hillhead House, Dromore, County Down, James, Henry Burns.

CAMPBELL -- April 6, at Waringstown, Susana, wife of Samuel Campbell.

CHAMBERS -- April 6, at the Manse, Holywood, Samuel Chambers, formerly of Linen Hill, Gilford, in his 80th year.

DOGGART -- March 23, in Brooklyn, New York, George H. Doggart, son of the late Horatio J. Doggart, Court Street, Newtownards, aged 48 years.

DOWIE -- April 7, at 56, South Parade, William, husband of Jessie Dowie.

FINLAY -- April 5, at 1, Lower Windsor Avenue, Elizabeth, widow of the late James Finlay.

HARRISON -- April 1, at his residence, Churchill, Castleblayney, Hugh Harrison, in his 79th year.

JOHNSON -- April 5, at 130, Malone Avenue, Belfast, Robert Crawford Johnson, D.D., founder bf the Belfast Central Mission, Grosvenor Hall, in his 73rd year.

JOHNSTON -- April 7, at Rathcoole, Strandtown, Elizabeth, wife of John Johnston.

KENNEDY -- April 6, at 31, Kerrsland Crescent, Upper Newtownards Road, and late of Crofthead, Dervock, Margaret, relict of the late James Kennedy, Ballydivity.

KIDD -- April 5, at 27, Farnham Street, Lillie, wife of Henry Kidd.

MANNING -- April, at Carnew, Windsor Avenue, Bangor, Co. Down, Henry Richardson, eldest son of the late Edward Manning, Holywood.

MAYNE -- April 7, at Roselle, Whitehead, Elizabeth, relict of the late Matthew Mayne, Brookvale Avenue, Belfast.

MISKIMMIN -- April 2, at 42, Willowbank Street, Belfast, Mary J. Miskimmin, widow of Robert Miskimmin.

MURRAY -- April 5, at his residence, Berea, Larne, William Murray.

M'CHLEERY -- April 8, at Coleraine Street, Kilrea, William Henry Holmes M'Chleery.

M'ILROY -- April 6, at Bellvilla, Banbridge, Ellen, wife of James M'llroy, J.P.

M'KEAN -- April 7, at Rossville, Fortwilliam Park, Mary, wife of Edward M'Kean.

M'KINNEY -- April 2, at 12, Atlantic Avenue, Mary K. M'Kinney.

M'KITTRICK -- April 2, at Ballynaris, Dromore, Co. Down, Archibald M'Kittrick.

NEILL -- April 8, at 7, Lawrence Street, James Neill, husband of Margaret Neill.

O'NEILL -- April 5, at Glenview, Newcastle, Harriet, youngest daughter of the late James O'Neill. Castlewellan.

REILLY -- April 6, John E. Reilly, late of "Lisburn Standard."

TATE -- April 3, at 251, Springfield Road, Agnes, widow of the late John Tate.

WALKER -- April 2, at 22, Wolseley Street, Botanic Avenue, Charlotte, the wife of the late Samuel Walker, of Portadown.

In Memoriam

JOHNSTON -- In fond memory of a loving hushand and father, John King Johnston, Correnchigo Cottage, Smithboro', who departed this life on Easter Monday, the 8th of April, 1912.



The question of home-study, where small children are concerned, is one which, is not only being discussed in England at the present moment. In America educational and medical authorities are giving the problem much consideration, and in Chicago reforms have recently been brought about by one of the high education officials, Mrs. E. T. Young. Her theory is that a pupil on leaving school at the end of the day should feel that his work is just as finished as that of his father when he quit his office. "No more study after school hours is the news from Chicago, and it is a happy beginning of a happy Now Year," says "American Medicare." "If this is to be the result of placing a woman in charge of that city's education, why do we not have women as superintendents everywhere? At the same time, we must confess that the worst offenders in overtaxing little tots with 'home work' are the women teachers in the lower grades. We have been calling attention so often and so long to the harm done by home work that we were beginning to despair at reforming the pedagogues. Toward the end of a day the normal child is in a condition of physiological exhaustion. If we could examine the brain cells microscopically, we would find them so changed as to be unable to take up the strain."



By the death on the 2nd inst. of the abovenamed gentleman a distinct loss has been created amongst his large circle of friends and acquaintances. Mr. Breakey never fully recovered from a severe attack of influenza, contracted about a year ago, and this, together with the shock caused at that time by the sudden and lamented death of his youngest son, left him greatly weakened in health. About the beginning of this year he was again protracted by illness, and since then, notwithstanding all that medical skill could do -- he gradually sank, heart failure being the immediate cause of his death, at the ripe age of eighty years. Like his brothers, who attained great eminence in the clerical and medical professions, he was gifted with wonderful and varied talents. He was a great antiquarian, and had a valuable collection of curiosities. He had a powerful memory, and could relate incidents of his boyhood's days as if they had occurred yesterday. He was very fond of history, and has preserved in manuscript a most interesting account of the Ballybay district, which it is hoped may yet be issued for publication. He was an excellent farmer, having been trained in the Model Farm, Saintfield, County Down. All his lifetime he resided in the home which had been owned by his ancestros, who were of Huguenot extraction, and had come to this country in the time of King William III. He was very popular among all classes, as was evidenced by the large funeral cortege, representative of all denominations, which accompanied his remains to their last resting place at First Ballybay Presbyterian Church. Mr. Breakey was a valued member of First Ballybay, and had served with much ability on the committee for many years. He was a most regular attendant at public worship and was never absent unless sickness prevented, and he will be greatly missed from the house of God, which he loved so well. He leaves a wife, two sons, and four daughters to mourn his loss, and the heartfelt sympathy of all is with them in their time of sadness and grief.

The funeral took place on Saturday, and was one of the largest seen in the district for many years. Before leaving the house of the deceased the Rev. H. A. MacKenzie, B.A., conducted a short service, referring to the deceased's many excellent qualities as a husband, father, church member, and member of the community. On reaching the graveyard the coffin was borne by the members of the committee into the church, when Mr. MacKenzie again officiated, and also at the graveside, committing all that was mortal of one who was greatly beloved to its kindred dust. Many beautiful wreaths were given by members of the family and other friends. Messrs. Carson & Sons had charge of the funeral arrangements, which were carried out most efficiently.



In connection with the death of Mr. Chas Hamilton a memorial service was held in Whitehouse Presbyterian Church on Sabbath last, when there was a crowded congregation, which included a large number of the Whitehouse company of the Ulster Volunteer Force, of which the deceased had been a prominent member since its formation, and at the time of his death he was a half-company officer. A portion of the building was reserved for their accommodation. The service was held under the auspices of the Sabbath schools, of which the deceased had been one of the secretaries for a long time, and in which he took a very deep interest, and was conducted by the Rev. Robert Barron, who took his text from Genesis xlii. 13, "One is not," and Genesis v. 24 "And He was not; for God took him." In the course of his address, the speaker said-- "We are met to-day in grief over the great loss we have sustained over the early removal of our dear friend and comrade, Charles Hamilton. We miss him from the home, where he was such a dutiful son and loving brother; from the place of business, where his clear head and sound judgment and trained powers of mind and steady application made him an ever-increasing power and influence; from these well-known roads, which he walked so often; from the straight intercourse with friends in the games and out-of-door recreations; from the ranks of the Volunteers, of which he was a prominent and faithful member; from the Sabbath-school, of which he was the valued and efficient secretary; also from the church, of which he was an attached and helpful member. He has left a large vacancy which it will be hard to fill. His spiritual life was most marked; he early took an interest in spiritual works, became a communicant, was a member of the Church Committee, and managed the Old-Age Fund with great success. But it was in the Sabbath-schools that he did his great work. For many years he attended the morning and afternoon schools, and kept the rolls and managed the classes; and indeed, he managed the schools, and his judgment was so good that he (the speaker) always acted on the advice he gave. he was a great favourite with all the children." The speaker concluded his discourse by urging upon all to emulate the beautiful character and life of the deceased. The musical portion of the service, under the leadership of Mr. J. J. Elliott, was appropriate for the occasion.



General regret will be felt at the announcement of the death, which occurred on Sunday at his residence, 130, Malone Avenue, of Rev. R. Crawford Johnson, D.D. After his retirement from the position of superintendent of the Belfast Central Mission, in 1905, Dr. Johnston enjoyed comparatively good health, and continued to preach until the death of his wife two and a half years ago. The passing of his life's partner was a great blow from which he never fully recovered, the effect culminating in a severe heart attack about twelve months ago. Notwithstanding the utmost care on the part of his family and the unremitting attention of his medical adviser, Dr. William Monypeny, he had several recurrences of the same trouble, and last week it was seen that the strong constitution was giving way, the end coming peacefully, as stated, early on Sunday morning. Born in 1841 at Antrim, the Rev. Crawford Johnson was in his seventy-third year. He was educated in Wesley College, Dublin, then known as the Connexional School, and at Didsbury College, and entered the Methodist ministry in 1865. He served on many circuits throughout Ireland. In 1888 he was appointed to the General Mission in Belfast, and from that period devoted himself chiefly to this branch of his work. As the result of his efforts in this direction the great Central Mission in Belfast was formed. He continued his superintendence of that mission until he retired at the Conference of 1908. He devoted himself with untiring energy to his work in the mission, and under his skilful guidance it grew and developed into one of the largest institutions of its kind in this country. The Rev. Crawford Johnson was frequently chosen by the Conference to represent the Irish Methodist Connexion at congresses in America. Twice he was sent to the Ecumenical Conference, and once as Irish delegate to the General Conference of the Methodist Church of the United States in 1896. The Victoria University of Canada conferred on him the degree of Doctor of Divinity. In 1898 he was appointed Vice President of the Irish Conference, and was Secretary of the Conference from 1893 to 1897. A powerful preacher and an accomplished scholar, he had a real genius for organisation, and in this respect, in the Central Mission of Belfast, he leaves a lasting memorial. The deceased was a Liberal Unionist in politics. He is survived by four sons, to whom deep sympathy will be extended in their bereavement.

On Tuesday forenoon the funeral took place to the City Cemetery. There was a large and representative attendance of the clergymen of various denominations and also of the general public, which spoke volumes for the high esteem and respect in which the deceased gentleman was held by all classes all over the city. The coffin, which was of oak, was almost covered with a number of beautiful floral tributes. At the house a short service was conducted, Revs. F. E. Harte, Dr. Carrathers, and R. S. Lee being the officiating clergymen. The sorrowful cortege set out from deceased's late residence shortly after nine o'clock, and proceeded to the Grosvenor Hall, where a most impressive service was conducted. The chief mourners were-- Messrs H. M. Crawford, A. W. and J. S. St. Clair Johnson (sons), Jas. M. Johnson (brother), John Watson (brother-in-law), E. J. Johnston (Crumlin), J. B. Thompson, Henry Thompson, and W. S. Thompson (cousins), T. P. M'Dowell, Henry M'Dowell, W. H. N. Downer. J. Hope Johnstone, Fred Johnston, Philip Johnston, Stanley Cather, and H. R. Scott (nephews).

The following took part in the service in the Grosvenor Hall -- Revs. Robert M.. Ker, J. N. Spence, Edward B. Cullen, J. M. Alley, G. W. Thompson, Joseph. W. R. Campbell, Henry Montgomery, D.D.; and Mr. James Dixon.

At the graveside in the Cemetery Rev. Jas Grubb, Lisburn, was the officiating clergyman.



On the suggestion of the Moderator (Rev. Dr. Megaw), a resolution of condolence with Mrs. M'Mordie on the death of her husband was adopted by a standing vote at the meeting of the Belfast Presbytery on Tuesday.


The death occurred on Monday afternoon at the County Antrim Infirmary of Mr. John E. Reilly, a well-known Ulster printer and publisher, and late proprietor of the "Lisburn Standard."



The announcement of the death of Mr. Edward S. Blair, of Rusheen, Glenburn Park, which took plan on Saturday evening in a private nursing home, will be received with sincere regret by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. Deceased, who was a son of the late Rev. Edward Blair, a Presbyterian minister formerly stationed at Wycliffe, Australia, had for the past quarter of a century occupied a responsible position in the service of the well-known firm of Messrs. Gibson & Co., Ltd., Donegall Place. A staunch Unionist in politics, he had taken a very active part locally in the campaign against Home Rule, and was indefatigable in his exertions on behalf of the different organisations with which he was identified. He rendered valuable service as honorary treasurer of the Cliftonville Unionist Club, and he was a member of the 14th Battalion of the North Belfast Regiment, Ulster Volunteer Force. He was also captain of the Cliftonville Rifle Club, and one of the founders and trustees of the Cliftonville Golf Club. In addition he was an original member of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club, a vice president of the North of Ireland Bands' Association, and a member of the Masonic Order, being connected with Royal Down Lodge No. 207. Formerly he was an active worker in connection with the Donegall Street Congregational Church but in recent years had been associated with Fortwilliam Park Presbyterian Church. He had long been a member of the City Y.M.C.A., and at one time took a part in the work of the Camera Club. Mr. Blair leaves a widow and two children, with whom much sympathy will be felt in their bereavement.

The funeral of the deceased took place on Tuesday amid many manifestations of sorrow, the remains being interred at the City Cemetery. The chief mourners were Mr. Oswald M. Robson, and Mr. Sydney J. Robson, of Sheffield, brothers-in-law of the deceased, and the cortege, which was very large, included representatives of the various organisations with which Mr. Blair had been so prominently identified, amongst these being the Cliftonville Unionist Club, the North Belfast Battalion of the Ulster Volunteer Force, and the Belfast Citizens' Association. A brief service was conducted in the house by Rev. J, Maconaghie, of Fortwilliam Park Presbyterian Church, and Rev. A. L. Harrison, the recently-installed assistant in that church, while at the graveside the officiating minister was Rev. H. M'Master. The array of beautiful wreaths and other floral tributes bore eloquent testimony to the esteem in which Mr. Blair was held, and the regret occasioned by the premature closing of a [--?--] such usefulness.



The news of the death of Mr. Hugh Harrison, Churchill, Castleblayney, which took place on the 1st April, will be received with deep regret by a very large circle of friends and acquaintances, for he was widely known and highly respected throughout the whole district where his life was spent. Besides being an extensive and successful farmer, Mr. Harrison took a prominent part in the public life of the Southern part of County Monaghan. For the greater part of half a century he was a member of the committee of First Castleblayney Presbyterian Church; towards its funds, missions, and other charitable objects he was a generous contributor, and gave one of his sons to the service of the Church, the Rev. T. J. Harrison, B.A., minister of Second Rathfriland Presbyterian Church. He is survived by a widow and five children. The funeral was a very large one, and thoroughly representative of the entire district.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 17 April, 1914


HENDERSON -- April 12, at Wayburn, Sask., Canada, to Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Henderson, Assiniboia, Sask., and Lisbellaw, County Fermanagh -- a son.

M'KAY -- April 10, at Drumgooland Manse, to Rev. S. J. and; Mrs. M'Kay -- a daughter.


SINCLAIR--CLARK -- April 15, at Maghera Parish Church, Co. Derry, by Rev. F. H. H. Clark, brother of the bride, assisted by the Rev. George Lenox Conyngham, uncle of the bride, and Rev. A. H. Maturin, Kenneth Duncan Lecky, third son of the late Rt. Hon. Thos. Sinclair, of Hopefield, Belfast, to Eleanor Laura, daughter of Lt.-Col. J. Jackson Clark, Lurgantogher, Co. Derry.


REA -- April 16, at her residence, 18, Westmoreland Street, Mary J. widow of the late John Rea, and only daughter of the late James Lemon. The remains of my beloved mother will be removed from above address for interment in City Cemetery on Saturday afternoon, at three o'clock. JAMES REA.

STRAHAN -- April 15, at The Manse, Downshire Place, Newry, William Gordon (Will), third son of the Rev. W. G. Strahan, aged 9 years and 9 months. Funeral, by motor, to Kirkinriola, 10 o'clock to-day (Friday).

ACHESON -- April 13 (pneumonia), at his residence, Dunavon, Portadown, John Acheson, J.P., in his 69th year.

ALEXANDER -- April 10, at 52, Woodvale Street, Matilda, wife of A. S. M. Alexander (formerly of Ballymather House).

ALEXANDER -- April 14, at 2, Northland Place, Dungannon, James Browne Alexander, J.P., aged 78.

ALLEN -- April 8, in London, Emily, daughter of the late Samuel Allen, Connor, Co. Antrim.

BELL -- April 10, at Ardlussa, Princetown Road, Bangor, Elizabeth Bell, widow of the late William Bell.

BROWNLEE -- April 12, at Clonrea Cottage, Dublin Road, Lisburn, William, husband of Rachel Brownlee.

CAMPBELL -- At Ballyrussel, Comber, Sarah, relict of the late Hugh Campbell.

CANNAVAN -- April 12, at Millview, Comber, Mary Cannavan.

CARSON -- At Coolsythe, Randalstown, Frances Mary (Fanny), third daughter of Thomas Carson.

CLARKE -- April 12, at 31, Mountview Street, Philip, husband of Martha Clarke.

DENNISON -- April 12, at Quay Street, Sligo, William Dennison.

DICKSON -- April 15, at Bellamount House, Whitehead, Thomas H. Dickson, late Superintendent of Public Parks, Belfast.

DICKSON -- April 10, at 2, Vulcan Terrace, Upper Newtownards Road, William Dickson.

FORDE -- April 12, at Walford, Ballysillan Road, Wee Eileen, daughter of Thomas Forde.

GIBSON -- April 15, at Carragullen, Killinchy, Isabella Gibson.

HAIRE -- April 13, at 71, Bridge Street, Lisburn, Isabella, aged 85 years, widow of the late Thompson Haire.

HILL -- April 10, at Donaghadee, William, youngest son of the late William Hill, 5, St. Ives Gardens, Belfast.

JOHNSTON -- April 9, at Ballyarnott, Antrim, Daniel Johnston.

LYNESS -- April 15, at Carlton House, Ormeau Road, Joseph Lyness, Solicitor.

MAHOOD -- April 12, at Granshaw, Kirkcubbin, Captain William Mahood, Portaferry.

M'FADDEN -- At his residence, Killavaghan, Cootehill, Henry M'Fadden, aged 76 years. Deeply regretted.

NICHOLL -- April 9, at Roughfort, Maggie, wife of James Nicholl.

ROUNTREE -- April 14, at High Street, Portadown, John Rountree, aged 8S years.

RUSSELL -- April 9, at 202, Upper Meadow Street, Belfast, Elizabeth, wife of William Russell, (Me)gaberry Hill, Moira.

SHANKS -- April 14, at Cairnview, Ballymoney, Newtownards, James Shanks.

SMITH -- April 11, at 45, Dunluce Avenue, Belfast, Robert, husband of Annie Smith.

SMYTH -- April 13, at Joymount, Carrickfergus, Elizabeth Smyth, in her 64th year.

WRIGHT -- April 15, at 11, Mandeville Street, Portadown, Martha Jane, wife of William John Wright.

In Memoriam

WARWICK -- In fond and loving memory of our dear mother, Hessie Warwick, who fell asleep in Jesus on the 15th April, 1908, and was interred in Kilbride Burying-ground.
     We miss your kind and loving voice,
     We miss your loving face;
     But, most of all, we miss yourself,
     From your accustomed place.
Inserted by her Husband and Family.




The salving of the sailing vessel Command, which foundered some time ago in Strangford Lough, about a mile off Killyleagh, has been successfully carried out by Mr. M'Causland, salvage contractor, Portadown.

On Friday at Derry Police Court James [-?-ch], of no fixed abode, charged with larceny at the quay, said he missed his boat to Glenarm a few days ago, and walked to Derry a long list of convictions against the prisoner was read, and sentence of three months imprisonment was passed.

[-?-s] John Mullin, 31, Baker Street, Belfast, a labourer, who was employed at Magheramore, was walking along the Coast Road at Magheramore on Saturday night he was struck from behind by a motor car and instantly killed. At the subsequent inquest a verdict of accidental death was returned.

The decapitated body of a man was found on the Midland Railway line on Tuesday [-?-] the driver of the 5-10 a.m. train from Carrickfergus to Belfast. It was that of John T. Leslie, a sailor, and son of Mr. Jas. Leslie, of Glynn. An inquest was held in the afternoon, when a verdict of accidental death was returned.

On Friday Dr. M. O'Kane, J.P., and a [-?-] concluded in Derry an inquest touching (the) death of Charles Doherty, aged 37, a [-?-] labourer who resided at 142, Fahan Street, and who was found dead in his bed on the 9th inst. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony [-?-] death was due to heart disease.

Two accidents occurred on Monday during [-?-] progress of manoeuvres by the Cookstown Battalion of the Tyrone Regiment. In one [-?-] a lad was shot in the right breast by a [-?-] from a blank cartridge; the wound was (not) serious, and received instant attention. (One) of the combatants received an injury to [-?-] wrist, but was able to go to the doctor.

The death occurred on the night of the 9th inst. of Mr. Jon M'Connell, Clerk of Petty Sessions and estates' agent, Brookborough, a gentleman well-known and universally respected in the public life of Fermanagh and Tyrone, as well as over a much wider area. A native o County Donegal, deceased had been resident at Brookeborough for over thirty-five years.

Mr. John Rowntree, one of the oldest and best known merchants in Portadown, died at his residence in High Street on Tuesday morning. Deceased, who had attained the advanced age of eighty-six years, was for some [-?-] member of the old Town Commissioners [-?-] and was held in the highest esteem [-?-] fellow-citizens and everyone who was [-?-] into contact with him in commercial [-?-] life.

[-?-] O'Kane, J.P., Coroner for London(derry) held an inquest on Friday into the circumstances attending the death of a man named John M'Conway, dock labourer, 130, [-?-], who died suddenly on coming out of [-?-] Roman Catholic Cathedral. Dr. J. N. [-?-aughlin] said the cause of death was a [-?-] of a blood-vessel, due to disease of the stomach. The jury returned a verdict accordingly.

The sudden death of an old-age pen(sioner) named William Robert M'Comb, w(hose) address was stated to be 1, Gardiner Street, Peter's Hill, Belfast, formed the subject of an inquest held at Ballintrain, County Tyrone, on the 9th inst. by Mr. Andrew C. Leitch, solicitor, Coroner for Mid-Tyrone. Evidence was given to the effect that the deceased had stopped in Sixmilecross the previous night, and was known by the name of Robert Hamilton. Dr. W. J. Leitch, Beragh, gave evidence that in his opinion death was due to heart failure. The jury returned a verdict accordingly.

On Tuesday James Porter, of Liskey, Fintona, aged fifty-two years, was accidentally killed, it is believed, by a belt coming off a pulley in Bell's Saw Mill, King Street, Fintona, and striking him on the head.

Mr. G. B. Deane, J.P., Board of Trade Inspector, resumed the inquiry into the Lurgan Town Council's application for a provisional order for a loan of 12,000 for providing a municipal electric lighting scheme in the Town Hall on Tuesday.

When Mr. and Mrs. James M'Kay arrived home from Antrim., where they had been spending Easter Monday evening, they discovered that their residence at Broughshane Road, Ballymena, had been entered, and that about 9 in money and valuable jewellery had been abstracted.


Lady Swan, wife of Charles Swan, Radical member for North Manchester, died in London on Monday.

Friday's "London Gazette" notifies the promotion of Chief Gunner Harry Lincoln Gardener to the rank of Lieutenant in his Majesty's Fleet as from Monday last.

While a number of lads were walking along the sea shore a few miles from Aberdeen on Friday, one of them was blown over the cliff by the strong wind. He fell 100 feet, and died a few hours later.

The French Government have awarded a gold medal to the coxswain of the Boulmer lifeboat, and money grants to the crew, in recognition of their bravery at the wreck of the French trawler Tadome, on the Northumberland coast.

Several Russians were performing feats of skill on board a vessel in the Tyne, and one of them placing his head in a noose endeavoured to raise himself above deck. The noose slipped, and deceased fell, breaking his spinal cord. Death was instantaneous.

H.M.S. Ardent, a 24,500 h.p. torpedo-boat destroyer, one of the eight special vessels for the design of which the builders were responsible to the Admiralty, has just been handed over after completing her trials by Messrs. Wm. Denny & Brothers, Dumbarton.

Lady Elizabeth Cust died with tragic suddenness in London on Friday, Lady Cust was on her way to church, when she fell on the street and expired. Lady Elizabeth Caroline Bligh was the eldest daughter of the fifth Earl of Darnley, and married Sir Reginald Cust in 1855.

Four platelayers were working on the Caledonian Railway near Sandilands viaduct on the Douglas and Lanark branch line on Friday when a train ran into them. Two jumped clear, but the other two, John Laidlaw (35) and Wm. Symington (28), were killed.

During a violent thunderstorm at Blackford, Perthshire, on the 5th inst., the steeple of the local United Free Church was struck by lightning, and some forty feet of it [--?--] [--?--] down. A retired contractor named Archibald Sinclair was passing in front of the church, and was buried in the debris. When the debris was moved it was found that he had been killed outright. Blocks of stone from the church tower were carried for a considerable distance, and much damage was done to property in the village. The damage is estimated at 2,000.

An extraordinary motor cycle accident was caused by a dog at Tunbridge Wells on Monday, and resulted in serious injuries to a husband and wife. A motor cycle with a sidecar was being driven along the road at the top of the common when a dog suddenly ran across the track of the machine and caused the driver to swerve. He was unable to steer clear of the edge of the common and the cycle and side-car, which contained his wife dashed down the steep rocky slope, a drop of about 20ft. The driver was taken to hospital, unconscious. His wife was also severely injured about the head.



Very sincere regret has been occasioned in Portadown and district by the announcement of the death of Mr. John Acheson, J.P. A few days ago the deceased got a chill which developed into pneumonia, and, notwithstanding the best medical skill, he passed away early on Tuesday morning at his residence, Dunavon. Mr. Acheson was the principal of the firm of Acheson was the principal of the firm of Acheson's Ltd., owners of the Bannview and Parkside Weaving Factories. A son of the Rev. Joseph Acheson, of Castlecaulfield, he came to Portadown in early life, and has for many years occupied a prominent place in the business and public life of that busy and prosperous town. He was a leading member of the First Presbyterian Church, and one of the most generous contributors to its funds. In the work of the District Nursing Society and other charitable institutions he took a keen practical interest, and no appeal ever was made to him in behalf of a deserving object to which he did not liberally respond. He was the father of a large family, many of whom are distinguished in the ecclesiastical world for their scholastic attainments. His sudden and unexpected death will be lamented by a wide circle of friends and acquaintances throughout Ulster, and their regret will be intensified by the fact that Mrs. Acheson has been lying seriously ill for some considerable time. One of his daughters is the wife of the Rev. Dr. J. Irwin, Belfast; whilst another id the wife of Rev. George Faris, Caledon.



On Wednesday afternoon, the marriage took place at Maghera Parish Church of Mr. Kenneth D. L. Sinclair, son of the late Right Hon. Thomas Sinclair, and Miss Eleanor Laura Clark, only daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel and Mrs. Clark, of Largantogher, County Derry. Owing to the recent death of the bridegroom's father, the marriage was very quiet. The ceremony was performed by the bride's brother, the Rev. H. H. Clark, and the bride's uncle, the Rev. G. H. Lenox-Conyngham, and the rector of the parish, the Rev. H. Marturin. The little church was prettily decorated with white lilies. The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a beautiful charmeuse gown, with lovely crystal trimming, and a long tulle veil, with a chaplet of orange blossoms. Her bridesmaids -- Miss May Duff and Miss Dibys Carbery -- wore pretty Romney picture dresses. Mr. Annesley Pollock was best man. After the ceremony a reception was held by the bride's parents at Largantogher. Mrs. Clark, who received the guests, wore a handsome brown broche velour gown, with hat to match. Amongst the immediate relatives and friends present were -- Colonel and Mrs. Lenox-Conyngham, Major and Mrs. Lenox-Conyngham, Captain Sinclair, Colonel and Mrs. Bruce. Colonel and Mrs. Chichester, the Rev. G. and Mrs. Lenox-Conyngham, Captain and Mrs. Hamilton, Captain and Mrs. Carbery, Mrs. George Clark and Miss Mary Clark; Mr. and Mrs. Naylor.




A fire, which resulted in the loss of two lives, occurred at Portadown on Tuesday, the victims being Mr. T. Dolan, merchant tailor, and Patrick O'Byrne, hairdresser. At the inquest on the following day the jury found in accordance with the medical evidence, that Mr. Dolan's death was caused by asphyxia, and that there was no evidence to show the cause of death in the case of Mr. O'Byrne. They expressed sympathy with the deceaseds' relatives.

Arthur Hendrick described how he broke the bedroom window and got out on the parapet and from that to the roof. He got Mrs. Dolan, who wanted to go back when she found her husband was not out, through a skylight. He did not know how the fire originated. Dr. M'Donald said that O'Byrne's death was probably due to suffocation.

W. J. Neice, cycle agent, whose premises were ruined, deposed that he raised the alarm. George Whitten said he entered the house by means of a ladder and saw Mr. Dolan lying on the front floor of the third storey fully dressed. Patrick O'Byrne was on the ground floor, burned to a cinder.



^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 24 April, 1914


BURTON -- April 19, at Endsleigh Gardens, Bloomfield, Belfast, to Mr. and Mrs. E. D. Burton -- a daughter.


GAMBLE--MUSGRAVE -- April 15, 1914, at First Dromara Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. Hugh Abraham Irvine, B.A., Minister of Drumlee Presbyterian Church, and Rev. William George Glasgow, B.A., Minister of First Dromara Presbyterian Church, George Gamble (N.S.T.), elder and only surviving son of the late George Gamble, Moybrick, Dromara, to Florence Millicent, only daughter at the late William Musgrave, Darrinasoo, Drumshambo, County Roscommon.

GILMER--NEILL -- April 22, 1914, at Ballygilbert Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. W. A. Hill, B.A., Alex., son of Robert Gilmer, "Glenside," Crawfordsburn, to Agnes Rose Ferguson, daughter of James Neill, Bangor, Co., Down.

MULLEN--WATTERS -- April 15, 1914, at Fisherwick Presbyterian Church, Belfast, by the Rev. Charles Davey, B.A., William Nassau, Second son of the late John Mullen, Strathmullen, Dungannon, to Elizabeth, second daughter of the late James Watters, Lower Back, Stewartstown.

M'CALL--WOODS -- April 15, 1914, at Stranorlar Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. James Curry, Robert, youngest son of the late Mr. Thomas M'Call, Mountnorris, County Armagh, Mary Ann, second daughter of Mr. Samuel Woods, J.P., Ballybofey, County Donegal.

STEWART--THORPE -- April 15, at St. Clement's Church, Urmston, Manchester, by the Rev. E. Harwood Cooke, M.A., Vicar of the Parish, assisted by the Rev. W. J. L. Sheppard, M.A., Birmingham, and the Rev. W. Driver, B.A., Curate, the Rev. David Stewart, B.A., Cregagh Presbyterian Church, Belfast, to Eva, second daughter of Henry Thorpe, Esq., Hollymount, Stretford, Manchester.


MOFFETT -- April 2, at Germantown Hospital, Philadelphia, U.S.A., Louise, beloved wife of William F. Moffett, aged 28 years. Interred in Ivy Hill Cemetery.
     No burdens "yonder,"
          All suffering past;
     No partings "yonder,"
          Home at last.

WALKER -- April 12, 1914, at his residence, Newry Street, Banbridge, William Andrew, dearly-loved husband of Anne Jane Walker. Interred in the Old Meeting-house Green, on Wednesday, 15th April.

ARD -- April 15, at 54, Earl Street, Annie, wife William Ard.

BENNETT -- April 21, at Drumalig, Flora, wife of R. M. Bennett.

CALLEN -- April 16, at 34, Woodvale Road (late of Shankill Road), Annie Craig Callen, daughter of the late Isaac Callen.

CARSON -- April 15 (suddenly), at her father's residence, Coolsythe, Randalstown, Frances Mary (Fanny), third and dearly-beloved daughter of Thomas and Jane Carson.

CUDDY -- March 30, at 643, Maryland Street, Winnipeg, Canada, Louie, third daughter of the late Wm. Cuddy, Ligoniel, Belfast.

DAVIS -- April 19, at St. Jude's Rectory, Belfast, Ellen C., sister of the Rev. Canon Davis.

FLEETON -- April 22, at Lake View, Upper Ballinderry, Esther, widow of the late Robert Fleeton.

FORSYTHE -- April 22, at 44, Rosapenna Street, Sarah, wife of William Andrew Forsythe.

GIBSON -- April 18, at Clonoriel, Myrtlefield Park, Malone, William Gibson, late of Spackman & Co.

GILLESPIE -- April 19, at 40, Posnett Street, Annie E., widow of the late David Gillespie, Brookeborough.

HAMILTON -- April 20, at Maryville Park, Belfast, James Hamilton, in his 94th year.

ROBINSON -- April 21, at Cornascribe House, Portadown, Annie, wife of T. K. Harbinson, J.P., in her 71st year.

INGRAM -- April 19, at 98, Agincourt Avenue, Samuel C., eldest son of the late Joseph Ingram.

JAMISON -- April 21, at Glengormley, Co. Antrim, William John Jamison, formerly of Ballymartin House, Templepatrick.

MEHARG -- April 16, at 25, Avenue Road, Lurgan, James, husband of Mary E. Meharg.

M'CLATCHEY -- April 21, at Huncote, Malone Park, Belfast, Annie, eldest daughter of the late George M'Clatchey, Belfast.

M'LEAN -- April 16, at Sunnyside Terrace, Downshire Road, Holywood, Robert M'Lean (late Water Inspector).

NOBLE -- April 20, at Oghill, Ederney, Co. Fermanagh, John Noble, J.P., aged 74 years.

PORTER -- April 8, 1914, at Holme Down, Monkokehampton, N. Devon, Aletta Harrison, wife of Sir Leslie Porter, K.C.S.I.

REID -- April 18, at Lowtown, Templepatrick, John, youngest son of the late Arthur Reid.

REID -- April 20, at Killycowan, Mary Reid.

REID -- April 21, at The Manse, Loughbrickland, Thomas Benjamin, infant son of Rev. T. S. and Mrs. Reid.

SCOTT -- April 17, at Bryansford Road, Newcastle, County Down, James M. Scott, formerly of Hillsborough.

STEVENSON -- April 19, at Bannview House, Derrytrasna, Lurgan, Richard John, second son of the late John Stevenson.

UPRICHARD -- April 17, at 240, Roden Street, Thomas Uprichard.

WHITTAKER -- April 21, at 100, Castlereagh Street, Robert Whittaker, late of Moneymore.

WILSON -- April 18, at Ballydougan, Portadown, George Wilson, in his 82nd year.

WOODS -- April 16, at 43, Abbott Street, Agnes, wife of George Woods.



The remains of the late Mr, John Acheson, J.P., was removed on 16th inst. from his residence, Dunavon, and interred in the family burying-ground, Seagoe, amidst many manifestations of regret. Amongst the large concourse of people who followed the remains to their last resting place were many friends from Belfast, Dungannon, Cookstown, Newry, and the surrounding towns. The session and committee of the First Presbyterian Church, wearing crepe armlets, walked on either side of the hearse. Many beautiful floral tributes were sent by the sorrowing relatives and friends, the workers employed in the Bannview and Parkside factories and at Dunavon, and the session and committee of the First Portadown Presbyterian Church. The chief mourners were -- Mr. Edgar Acheson (son), Mr. James Acheson (brother). Rev. Dr. Irwin and Rev. George Faris (sons-in-law), Messrs. Fred. Frank, and Vincent Acheson (nephews), Messrs. Robert, Charles J., and J. J. Brown (cousins). The service at the graveside was conducted by the Right Rev. Dr. Macaulay, Moderator of the General Assembly.




Through an explosion of a quantity of caustic potash which he had been mixing a [--?--] named Richard Bennett, [Aughna-?-] sustained terrible injuries to the face.

On Saturday the Anchor liner Colombia left Lough Foyle for the United States after taking on board over 300 emigrants from [-?-] The passengers came mainly from [-?-] and Monaghan and a few from Derry and Donegal.

William Stevenson, Meadow Street, Larne was cycling near Glenarm on Sunday evening his bicycle came in contact with a [-?-] stone, and the unfortunate man was thrown over the seawall amongst a lot of [-?-] sharp stones.

Mr. S. M'Callum, who for the past twenty-eight years has been engaged as an assistant [-?-] Hill Street National School, Lurgan, has been appointed principal of the Esky National School, near Lurgan, of which the Rev. R. D. Patterson, B.A., rector of [Ard-?-e], is manager.

An impressive and interesting ceremony took place in the ancient and historic parish church of St. Nicholas's, Carrickfergus, on Sunday, at the morning service, when a memorial window was unveiled and dedicated to the memory of the late Mr. George [-?-ondstone] Kirk, D.L.

At the meeting of Clones No. 1 Rural District Council on Thursday notice was received from John Bullock, Corkeeran, of his intention to claim 10 compensation for the alleged malicious burning of a stack of hay. The matter was referred to the Monaghan County Council to oppose the application.

A further outbreak of polioymelitis has occurred on the Tyrone shores of Lough Neagh. During the past week the family of a farmer named George. R. White, of Brookend, were stricken, the father, mother, and six children being seized with the disease. Two of the children -- a boy of nine and a girl of [-?-] have died.

A very interesting function took place at a meeting held in Ballintoy Parochial School on the evening of 13th inst., when Mr. John Carter, The Demesne, was presented with a bronze medal and certificate of the Royal Humane Society for his heroic courage in rescuing Mr. John Gault, Ballintoy, from drowning last December.

Henry John Wallace, of Bridge House, [-?-ea], County Londonderry, who died on (?)st February last, left personal estate in the United Kingdom valued at 6,404, of which 5,636 is in England. Probate has been granted to his sister, Mrs. Elizabeth [-?-eson], of Bridge House, to whom he left the whole of his estate absolutely.

A sad drowning accident occurred on Sunday evening at a reservoir known as "Watts' [-?-n]," Derry. Frank Kerlin, aged 14, was [-?-] a number of youths who were tempted by the warmth of the evening to go bathing in the reservoir. He was the only lad among them who could swim, but after entering the water he got into difficulties, and sank before assistance could reach him.

Mr. John Morrow, J.P. (chairman), presided at the Coleraine Rural Council on Saturday, [-?-] the intimation of the death of Mr. [?] H. H. M'Chieery, one of the representatives of the Kilrea division, expressed regret at the event, remarking that his genial presence would be missed at the meetings, at which he had always displayed good [-?-], and had looked after the interests of the division faithfully.

A ceremony in which a good deal of public interest was manifested took place in the Presbyterian Church, Carrickfergus, on [-?-] inst., when Miss Elizabeth Pennall Miscampbell, daughter of Mr. Alex. Miscampbell, J.P., a member of the Antrim County Council, was married to Mr. Stanley Edward Wilkins, solicitor, of Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, son of Mr. Edward Wilkins, County Coroner and Registrar of the Aylesbury County Court and Bankruptcy Court.

Shortly after noon on Friday Mr. M'Kee, a director of the firm of Messrs. J. B. Ferguson & Co., Ltd., picked up a man lying unconscious on the roadside near Whitehead. It appears that the man, whose name was [-?-] Allen, Cheston Street, Carrickfergus, had been riding a motor cycle, when the [-?-] tyre of his machine punctured and [-?-] him, causing injuries about the head. With all promptitude Mr. M'Kee, who was accompanied by Sergeant Lester, Whitehead, [-?-] the car and lifted the injured man [-?-] and hurried to the surgery of Dr. [-?-] Whitehead. After medical treatment the injured man was put in the motor car and conveyed home.


Pensions for doctors incapacitated by age, illness, or other causes are provided for by a bequest in the will, of Mrs. Bridget Sarah Grewcock, of Pershore, Worcestershire, whose estate has been valued at 30,000.

At a meeting of the Benchers of the King's Inns, Dublin, last week, it was decided to admit Indian students and to alter the rules for their admission so as to bring them into conformity with the rules in England.

Sir Charles Cameron has sent a circular to the managers of schools to the effect that every week the deaths from measles are increasing, and he suggests that it would be most desirable to keep the schools closed for some time longer.

News has reached Haverford West of the death at Denbigh of Lady Scourfield, wife of Sir Owen Henry Philipps Scourfield, of Williamston, Neyland, Pembrokeshire. The deceased lady caught a chill some days ago, which developed into congestion of the lungs.

The death occurred at Worthing on Monday of Mrs. Winchester, wife of a local Councillor there. It is a curious coincidence that deceased was born on a Monday, christened on a Monday, and married on a Monday, whilst before she was married her name was Munday.

Rev. Walter John Edmonds, Chancellor of Exeter Cathedral, died at Exeter on Saturday following a long period of feeble health. Deceased, who was eighty years of age, resigned the canonry of Exeter Cathedral twelve months ago, but was induced to retain the post of Chancellor.

A national memorial to Sydney Smith, the eminent wit and divine, has been decided upon in the form of a relief portrait in bronze, to be erected in the parish church of Foston-le Clay, near Malton, Yorkshire, where he spent many years of his life. Mr. David M'Gill, of Kensington, has been invited to carry out the work.

A distressing motoring accident occurred at Longton, near Preston, on Friday. Mr. William Kershaw was returning in his car to his residence at Woodlands, Longton, and on entering the grounds his wife, who had run out to meet him, was knocked down and pinned beneath the car. She was unconscious when released, and died before medical aid arrived.

Leaving estate of 347,222 gross value, of which the net personalty has been sworn at 346,916, Mr. Septimus Brocklehurst (74), of Olinda, Sefton Park, Liverpool, bequeathed over 30,000 for charities. The bequests include six of 2,000 each and sixteen of 1,000 each. Probate of his will has been granted to the Public Trustee. The duties on the property will amount to about 50,000.

The late Lord Wimborne left property provisional!y valued for probate at 250,000 so far as can be ascertained. In the course of his will the testator wrote -- "I give to my darling wife, Lady Cornelia Henrietta Maria Baroness Wimborne, everything which I die possessed of for her own use and benefit absolutely, and I appoint her sole executrix of this my will. I thank God that he has given me a wife so sweet, so loving, and so capable."

The death is announced of General Sir George Digby Barker, of Clare Priory, Suffolk, at the age of 80. Deceased was Acting Governor of Hong Kong in 1891, and from 1896 to 1902 was Governor of the Bermudas. He saw considerable military service, taking part in the Persian and Indian Mutiny campaigns, and being present at the battle of Cawnpore and the relief of Lucknow. He was Assistant Director of Military Education from 1877 to 1884.

Some weeks since a postman proceeding by road with mails and old-age pension money from Newcastle West, County Limerick to Tournafulta was waylaid on his journey, and the mail-bag and its contents carried off by his assailant. On Friday while a man named Murphy was looking after sheep at Barna, three miles from Newcastle West, he accidentally discovered the missing mail-bag hidden in a ditch. The postal authorities were communicated with, and the contents of the bag, letters and pension money, were found intact.

Charles Jessiman, a child three years of age, residing with his parents at 1, Gibson Terrace, Edinburgh, last week fell 50ft. and survived apparently uninjured. The boy left his mother in the kitchen, and going into a room climbed upon a box and raised the lower half of the window. Looking out he over-balanced and dropped to the pavement. Two women who witnessed the accident informed the child's mother, who took him to the Royal Infirmary, but the doctor could find no trace of external injury. The child was kept in the institution, however, in case internal trouble should manifest itself.

Leaving estate worth 55,280. Mr. Eli Josiah Brand (83), of Margate, bequeathed 2 2s for the preacher of an annual sermon in Margate against betting, gambling, intemperance, and the inordinate love of pleasure. He also left pensions of 3s 6d a week for necessitous persons in Margate leading moral 1 and respectable lives, and to each pensioner he desired that a copy should be given of his book "The Efficacy of Prayer in Daily Life." He left 10 a year for the distribution of 5s each at Christmas or New Year to forty poor men or women who are total abstainers and church-goers. To his nurse he left 52 a year.


Shanghai, Tuesday. -- The importation of opium into the province of Fenkien is prohibited after May 1st.

Pekin, Friday. -- On the 14th White Wolf bandits captured and looted Sanquanhsien, but next day sustained a severe defeat by troops, with 2,000 casualties,

The number of immigrants into Canada during the year ended March 31st was 384,487, made up of 142,622 from Great Britain, 107,530 from the United States, and 134,715 from other countries.



Wife and Two Children Killed.

A terrible story was related on Saturday evening at the inquest on Owen M'Aleer, his wife Annie M'Aleer, and their two children, Mary and Bernard, who were murdered by their father at Ballinamullin, near Omagh, the same day.

Witnesses stated that the man had been twice in a lunatic asylum and that lately he had shown signs of mental weakness, in consequence of which he was taken to his brother-in-law's house, where he was kept under supervision. Early on Saturday morning he effected his escape without notice, and arriving about dawn at his home, gained entrance by assuring his wife he would not touch her. Before being long in the place he commenced a savage attack upon his wife and servants, one of the latter being severely injured, and they fled for their lives with the man in pursuit. He afterwards returned to the house, where he murdered his two children.

Other evidence was given that it was believed the wife returned to save the children and was then caught by her husband, who attacked her with a heavy iron crook. Her dead body was found lying outside the house. The father afterwards drowned himself in a quarry.

The jury, found that the man's victim's were murdered whilst he was insane.




The Press Association's Edinburgh correspondent telegraphs -- The death has taken place suddenly at Avignon, in the South of France, of Mr. Samuel Rutherford Crockett, the well-known Scotch novelist. Mr. Crockett, who for some time had been residing at Peebles, went to the South of France to recuperate, but with no beneficial results. He was in his fifty-fifth year.

Mr. Crockett was a native or Duchrae, Galloway. He was educated at Edinburgh and Heidelberg. He entered the Free Church of Scotland in 1886, and was minister of Penicuik for some years, after which he became a writer and journalist. Among, his best known books are -- "The Stickit Minister," "The Raiders," "The Lilac Sunbonnet," "Mad Sir Uchtred," "The Playactress," "Bog Myrtle and Peat," "The Men of the Moss Hags," "Sweetheart Travellers," "Cleg Kelly," "The Grey Man," "Lad's Love," "Lochinvar," "Sir Toady Lion," "The Standard-Bearer," "The Red Axe," "The Black Douglas," "Ione March," "Kit Kennedy," "Joan of the Sword Hand," "Little Anna Mark," "The Stickit Minister's Wooing," "The Silver Skull," "Cinderella," "Love Idylls," "The Firebrand," "The Dark o' the Moon," "Flower o' the Corn," "An Adventurer in Spain," "Red Cap Tales," "Raiderland," "Strong Mac," "The Loves of Miss Anne," "Maid Margaret," "Sir Toady Crusoe," "The Cherry Ribbon (Peden the Prophet)," "Kid M'Ghie," "Little Eason," "Me and Myn," "Vida," "The Bloom of the Heather," "Rose of the Wilderness," "Princess Penniless," "Red Cap Adventurers," and "The Men of the Mountain."



At a special meeting of the Newcastle Urban Council, held on Monday, it was decided that a public meeting should be held in the Annesley Memorial Hall on Thursday, 23rd inst., at 3-30 p.m. On the motion of the Chairman (Mr. E. Beatty), a vote of sympathy was passed in referring to the sad event he said a disaster of this kind happening in their midst brought home to them the danger to which the fishermen were exposed in earning their livelihood. He had no doubt the public would show their sympathy in a practical manner by extending a measure of relief to the dependants of the unfortunate men.


An extensive fire occurred oh Monday near Dungiven in a large tract of rough grazing of upwards of forty acres, and spread rapidly until the public roadway stemmed its progress. Two farmsteads were imperilled for a time until the strenuous efforts of the neighbours averted the danger.


^ top of page