The Witness - Friday, 7 August, 1914


M'CANDLESS -- Aug 1, 1914, to the wife of the Rev. Thomas M'Candless, B.A., Saltersland Manse, Moneymore -- a daughter.

M'KEE -- July 31, at Fern Royd, Ashley Gardens, Belfast, the wife of Rev. Dr. M'Kee, Manorcunningham -- a son.


COULTER--GIBBON -- August 5, at St. Columba's Church, Elgin, by the Rev. J. R. Duncan, B.D., minister of St. Andrew's, Lhanbryde, assisted by the Rev. John H. Coulter, B.A. (brother of the bridegroom), the Rev. Henry Coulter, B.A., B.D., minister of Newport, Fifeshire, fifth son of the late John Coulter, Donaghagny, Warrenpoint, to Dorothy Isabel M'Kay, daughter of John Gibbon, Elgin.

CRYMBLE--IRELAND -- July 28 (by special licence), at Tilecote, Malone Park, Belfast, by Rev. David Purves, D.D., Elmwood Church, Percival Templeton Crymble, M.B., F.R C.S. (Eng.), 7, Upper Crescent, Belfast son of the late G. G. Crymble, Gordon House, Annadale, to Norah Isabel, only daughter of A. L. Ireland, Tilecote, Malone Park.

SHANKLIN--JEFFREY -- July 30, 1914, at Fitzroy Avenue Presbyterian Church, Belfast, by the Rev. Wm. Colquhoun, B.A., and the Rev. Dr. Todd Martin, John Gilbert Shanklin, M.B., B.Ch., Manchester, eldest son of James Shanklin, Convoy, Co. Donegal, to Margaret Eleanor, elder daughter of the late Rev. Robert Jeffrey, M.A., Portadown, and Mrs. Jeffrey, 5, Wolseley Street, Belfast.


ADAIR -- Aug. 4, at Ballykeigle, Comber, Isabella, relict of the late James Adair, Lisbane.

ALLEN -- August 1, at 24, York Road, John, husband of Annie Allen, aged 72 years.

ATKINSON -- Aug. 4, at 26, Newport Street, Charles Atkinson.

BELL -- July 30, at 5, Beechside Terrace, Lisburn, Thomas Bell, late of Divis Street, Belfast.

BROWN -- July 29, at Ballymurphy, Springfield Road, Mary, relict of the late George S, Brown.

BURNS -- Aug. 6, at Church Street, Ballymena, Isabella, wife of Thomas Burns, J.P.

CURRAGH -- July 31, at the Post Office, Groomsport, Mary Anne, relict of the late James Curragh.

DAWSON -- Aug. 3, at 3, Rushfield Avenue, Wm. Dawson.

DEMPSEY -- July 39, John Dempsey, late of Newtownards.

DUNSCOMBE -- July 30, at 27, Rossmore Avenue, Belfast, Nicholas Robert, only son of the late Nicholas Dunscombe, M.I.C.E., and nephew of the late Robert Ruddock, of Waringstown.

FERGUSON -- July 30, at Ballyregan, Dundonald, Thompson Ferguson, Senior.

FINLAY -- July 31, at 15, Inver Avenue, Belfast, Elizabeth, widow of the late Francis Finlay, Corville House, County Cavan.

FITZPATRICK -- July 22, at Brook Farm, Little Marcle, Herefordshire, Lucy, widow of William Fitzpatrick, late of Locust Lodge, Ballynafeigh.

GAMBLE -- Aug. 1, at The Cottage, Carnew, Mary, widow of the late Robert Gamble.

GARDNER -- August 1, at 1, Shiels Square, Margaret, widow of late Thomas Gardner, of Armagh.

GOURLEY -- July 29, at Ballymacreely, Sarah Morrow Gourley, aged 82 years.

GILL -- July 30, at tho residence of her daughter, Mrs. Bell, Chislehurst, Ranfurly Avenue, Bangor, Margaret, beloved wife of Henry J. Hill, Hillhall, Bloomfield, Belfast.

HOGG -- Aug. 3, 1914, at Donaghadee, Samuel Hogg, of 19, Wellington Park, Belfast, aged 68 years.

HOLT -- July 31, at 4, Woodland Avenue, Belfast, wife of J. Wilman Holt.

HUMPHRIES -- Aug. 4, Sarah, wife of the late James Humphries, 51, North Boundary Street.

IRELAND -- Aug. 5, at The Farm, Belvoir Park, Newtownbreda, Mary Jane (May), fourth daughter of David Ireland.

KENNEDY -- July 31, at 26, Lawnview Street, Colin Kennedy (late Foreman Clockmaker R. M'Dowell & Co.).

KING -- August 2, at High Street, Antrim, Mathew King.

LOUCH -- Aug. 3, at Donaghadee, Charlotte Louch.

MANN -- July 29, at Corner House, Islandmagee, Captain David Mann, aged 72 years.

MERCER -- August 2, at Rathmore, Lurgan, Emma, youngest daughter of the late Henry Mercer, Farm Lodge.

MILLER -- July 31, at King's Road, Knock, Agnes, wife of James Miller, aged 67 years.

MINFORD -- July 30, at Ballyarnott, Robert Minford.

MONTGOMERY -- August 1, 1914, at his residence, 70, Eglantine Avenue, Belfast, William Montgomery, in his 90th year.

M'CAW -- July 30, 1914, at Glenside, Holywood, William John M'Caw (formerly of Newry).

M'KEOWN -- August 2, at Sheridan Villas, Ballyholme, Mary, relict of the late John M'Keown, Grosvenor Street, Belfast.

PATTERSON -- Aug. 3, at the Masonic Hall, Bailiesmills, Lisburn, Mary, daughter of Andrew Patterson.

SIMMMS -- Aug. 5, at Ashley Gardens, Ballyclare, Martha Simms.

WALLACE -- Aug. 2, at the Deer Park, Antrim, Robert, son of William Wallace.




Shortly after two o'clock on Saturday morning am explosion occurred in Lisburn, wrecking a large stained glass window in the Cathedral.

The police, attracted by the noise, discovered a quantity of Suffragette literature.

The explosion was caused by a bomb of amateur construction.

A later message states that directly underneath the large stained-glass window of the church a fairly large hole was discovered, while on the ground were fragments of masonry and broken glass scattered about. Each section of the window, from the sill to the top, bore evidence of the shock, between fifteen and sixteen of the small panes being shattered. Beyond this comparatively little damage was done to the fabric, though it was apparent it had a narrow escape, which was positively due to the fact that the explosives -- believed to be a bomb or charge of dynamite -- was placed on the top of the ground and not buried.

Canon Pounden, the rector, who, it may truly be said, loves every stone in the ancient pile, is greatly distressed over the shocking business, and has received the sympathy of numerous callers.

The damage to the window is much deplored, especially as the broken parts cannot be matched, some of the colours being of such a hue that the art of reproducing them is, it is said, now unknown. The window is believed to be at least 300 years old.



Lively Street Scenes.


Exciting scenes were witnessed in the afternoon in connection with the arrest of four Suffragettes. Throughout the forenoon a crowd remained collected opposite the residence of Mrs. Metge in Seymour Street, and gave vent to their feelings in no unmistakable manner. So threatening was their attitude that the police, following the raid, had decided on arresting four women found in the house, and deemed it advisable to remove them in cabs to the courthouse. On making their appearance the excitement rose to the highest pitch, mud, stones, and a bottle being shied at the women, whose protection by the police was rendered most difficult and dangerous. A howling crowd followed the conveyances to the Railway Street Barrack, where another hostile demonstration was witnessed. Meanwhile those who remained behind made an attack on Mrs. Metge's residence, riddling the windows and bespattering the walls with dirt.

A special Court was subsequently held before Mr. John Gray, R.M.

Mr. J. R. Moorhead, Crown Solicitor, said he proposed proceeding under Section 3 of the Explosives Act, 1883, and the charge he would make was that the persons before the Court unlawfully and maliciously did an act to cause by an explosive substance an explosion in the grounds of the Cathedral Church of Lisburn on the morning of the 1st August; also that they conspired together to cause by an explosive substance an explosion on the said premises. The names of the defendants were -- Mrs. Lillian Metge, Miss Dorothy Elvans, Miss Maud Wickham, and Miss Carson.

Head-Constable Doyle, replying to the Crown Solicitor, said it had come within his knowledge that an explosion had occurred at 2-30 this morning on the grounds of the Cathedral Church; and as a result of information he received, and matter that came under his notice, he arrested the defendants, none of whom made any statement after being charged and cautioned.

Mrs. Metge asked was she the only Suffragette in Lisburn, and why was her house burst open. She had never seen such a farce in her life.

Head-Constable Doyle having applied for a remand,

Defendants protested, contending there was no evidence against them, and alleging that Lisburn was full of explosives.

Mr. Geo. M'Cracken asked that the defendants be allowed out on their own recognisances.

Mr. Moorhead pointed out that the charge was one of felony. He would raise no objection if substantial bail were offered.

Miss Evans (to the chairman) -- Are you going to sit there and be dictated to by that man Moorhead?

His Worship fixed the bail at two sureties in 100 for each defendant.



We regret to announce the death of Mr. Wm. Montgomery, the founder and senior partner of the firm of Wm. Montgomery & Son, estate agents, auctioneers, valuers, and fire loss assessors -- whose premises are situate at 2, Wellington Place, Belfast, and Foster Place, Dublin -- which occurred on Saturday. The late Mr. Montgomery was born in Portadown in 1825, and was the second son of Mr. Harford Montgomery. He was educated at Phillips' Academy, Bristol, and intended to enter a university, but eventually chose a business career. For some years in the early part of his life he was engaged in the preliminary survey and valuation of land required for the promotion of railways in Ulster, and later travelled to Boston, New York, and New Orleans. In the later place he held a responsible position in the firm, of Mr. Archibald Montgomery, another North of Ireland man, but was obliged to relinquish this on account of bad health. Mr. Montgomery returned to England in 1850, and entered the linen and yarn business. On his father's death in 1861 he returned to Portadown, and two years later established the business with which he has since been connected. Under his guiding care the operations of the firm extended quickly, and he removed to Belfast, and later opened offices in Dublin. He was bereft of his wife in 1895, and from that time ceased to take an active part in public life or politics, in which he had hitherto maintained a keen interest, although he never entered any of the public Boards of the city. The deceased gentleman was a devoted member of the Methodist Church, and latterly was connected with the University Road Congregation. He was well-known throughout the Methodist body, and his death will be greatly regretted.

There was a large and representative body of the public at the funeral on Tuesday. The chief mourners were -- Mr. Harford Hugh Montgomery and Mr. Wm. Montgomery (sons), Mr. John Bodel (son-in-law), Mr. Wm. Alexander Montgomery and Mr. Harford Trevor Montgomery (grandsons), Mr. Harford Montgomery Robb, Mr. Hamilton Robb, Mr. Harford Montgomery Atkinson, and Mr. Gerald Montgomery Atkinson (nephews). At the house before the departure of the funeral there was a brief service, and at University Road Methodist Church there was a public service, the officiating clergymen being Rev. George R. Wedgwood, Rev. Pierce Martin, and Rev. James Alley, and Mr. Robert Griffith, J.P., president of the Local Preachers' Association.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Messrs. Robert Johnson & Sons, Dublin Road.


They are stepping off, the friends I knew, and one of my oldest and best friends has passed away. Mr. William Montgomery was one of the oldest and staunchest Liberals and tenant-righters in Ulster. He was one of those associated with me at the establishment of "The Ulster Echo." He was not only a friend, but a contributor. He wielded a facile pen, and he possessed great earnestness and enthusiasm. Many a column ha contributed to "The Ulster Echo" in its earliest years, and even when changes in political feeling separated more or less him and me he was the same kind and sympathetic friend as he had always been. He was one of the few friends of my earliest political associations whose respect for Mr. Gladstone carried him into the opposite camp. But he was never an extremist. He had too much head and brain for that. But still the new developments made a difference. But to the last Mr. Montgomery was the same kindly and courteous gentleman that he had been all his life. He was always enthusiastic, vigorous, and straightforward. He had his opinions, and he adhered to them. But he was too large-hearted and broadminded to make these factors in his social or personal relations. In early life he met with an accident that cost him an arm, but he never complained or grumbled. He was a philosopher as well as a politician, a gentleman as he was a Christian. He was an ardent member and a prominent representative of the Wesleyan body, and nothing in his life was unworthy of the position he occupied in that body. I should refer to the position he attained in the insurance world in connection with his son, Mr. Harford Montgomery. But somehow or other I cannot think of the late Mr. Montgomery as other than the personal and friendly, kindly, and courteous gentleman I had always found him. To me Mr. Montgomery was a magnificent representative of the sturdy Ulster Liberalism of the seventies and the eighties. But he was more. He was one of those men who never allowed political feeling to interfere with personal friendship. He was essentially a gentleman, and able at that. He had reached the ripe age of ninety when he died. But it seems to me only yesterday since I met him, and we discussed old days and revived old memories. But all the same, it is a good many months. Men verging on the nineties cannot have the activity of the youth of nineteen. But when I last saw and talked with Mr. Montgomery there was nothing in connection with his talk and demeanour that suggested such an age. We talked as contemporaries. He is now passed from among us, and the only thing that is left to me is to pay in this hurried and humble way a tribute to the friend I loved and respected, and to say that with him has passed away almost the last of those with whom I was personally associated in the establishment of "The Ulster Echo" in the early seventies. To the surviving members of his family -- his wife predeceased him -- I extend the most cordial expression of sympathy and respect on the death of one who was at once a credit to his family and the country.



Lady Scott's Statue of Captain Smith.

A statue of Commander Edward John Smith, captain of the Titanic, which has been erected in the museum grounds, Lichfield, has been unveiled by Miss Helen Melville Smith, the captain's daughter.

The statue, which is of bronze and stands on a pedestal of Cornish granite, has been made by Lady Scott. It was formally presented to the city on behalf of the committee by the Bishop of Willesden.

Queen Alexandra sent the following message -- "Her Majesty, as you are well aware, feels the most sincere and sympathetic interest in this movement, and thinks this tribute to the memory of a good and brave man who died in the performance of his duties a most appropriate one."

Lord Charles Beresford paid a tribute to Captain, Smith's memory.



Boy Falls Into Boiling Water

On Saturday a shocking accident occurred in Portaferry, causing the death of Wm. J. Byers, a fifteen year old boy, the son of Andrew Byers a labourer. It is customary during the fishing reason for some of the steam trawlers to put into Portaferry Quay for the week-end, and on Saturday the ss. Norland was visited by a number of boys from the town while the crew were preparing a tank, 5 feet by 2½ feet, for the purpose of "barking" their fishing nets. The tank is placed in the hold of the boat and filled with water, into which the barking is put, and a pipe is connected with the boiler of the engine, through which steam is injected into the tank to boil the barking before it is put in the nets. Young Byers was, with a number of other boys, watching the operation, when he put his foot on a wooden roller, and fell into the tank, the water in which was nearly boiling. He was rescued at once by one of the crew, but he was very badly scalded all the same. He was taken to the St. Patrick's Hall, where every thing possible was done to alleviate his sufferings, till he died at 9 p.m. Much sympathy was felt with the parents of the deceased in their bereavement.



Once there was a squirrel that did not like his home, and he used to scold and find fault with everything. His papa squirrel had long gray whiskers, and so was wise -- besides which he could shake his whiskers quickly.

"My dear, as you do not like your homes, there are three sensible things you could do --

"Leave it, or change it, or suit yourself to it. Any one of these would help you in your trouble."

But the squirrel said --

"Oh, I do not want to do any of those; I had rather sit on a branch of a tree and scold."

"Well," said the papa squirrel, "if you must do that, whenever you want to scold, just go out on a branch and scold away at someone you do not know."

The little squirrel blushed so much that he became a red squirrel, and you will notice to this day red squirrels do just that thing.



Blotting paper was discovered purely by accident. Some ordinary paper was being made one day at a mill in Berkshire, England, when a careless woman forgot to put in the sizing material. The whole of the paper made was regarded as useless. The proprietor of the mill desired to write a note shortly afterwards and he took a piece of this waste paper, thinking it was good enough for the purpose. To his intense annoyance the ink spread all over the paper. Suddenly there flashed over his mind the thought that this paper would do instead of sand for drying ink, and he at once advertised his waste paper as "blotting."

There was such a big demand that the mill ceased to make ordinary paper, and was occupied in making blotting paper only, the use of which soon spread to all countries." -- "Apples of Gold."




A farmer named Gerald Liddle, of Corard, near Maguiresbridge, fell dead in Lisnaskea [Street] on Saturday morning.

Major W. Bredin, R.M. for Monaghan County, has been transferred to King's County, to be stationed at Birr.

A Letterkenny telegram says 6,000 Mauser [rifles] and 3,000 rounds of ammunition have been landed from two tramp steamers on the [western] shore of Lough Swilly. The arms are evidently expected by National Volunteers.

A large open-air service, in which members of the U.V.F. and Orange and Black Institutions, in the Tempo, Clabby, and Fivemiletown districts participated, was held in a field at Clabby, near Fivemiletown, on [Sunday] afternoon.

Mr. Charles M'Devitt, of Glenties, County Donegal, who died on the 15th April last, left a personal estate in the United Kingdom valued at 115,374 16s 8d. The testator left [?,500) to provide a water supply from Lough Anna for Glenties.

On Friday evening a man named Thomas [-?-dy], employed in Messrs. M'Donagh & [-?-] furniture factory, Richhill, was engaged at a planing machine, when the guard failed to act properly, with the result that [-?-] fingers became caught in the cutter, and [-?-] [severed] two joints.

A report has reached Omagh that on the drill night of the U.V.F. at Fintona, as a dozen Ulster Volunteers were passing through that town on their way home, a revolver shot was fired at them. The U.V.F. passed then on, deciding not to retaliate unless further shots were fired. The [miscreant] did not discharge any further shots.

On the 30th ult. Mr. John Adrain, [Solicitor], Deputy-Coroner for Mid-Antrim, [-?-ded] in the Ballymena Town Hall [buildings] and held an inquiry touching the [death] of a labourer named Carter Savage, [who] had been found dead in bed in his residence, Clonavon, Ballymena, that morning. The jury found a verdict of death from heart disease.

The 3rd Battalion North Derry Regiment U.V.F. held a route march at Castlerock on [-?-day] evening, starting from the Diamond, Coleraine, shortly after eleven o'clock, and [arriving] at the popular seaside resort about [?] hours later. The officers in charge were Captain H. R. Bruce, battalion commander; [-?-] S. Willis, B.A , adjudant; and Mr. Andrew M'Feeter, J.P., wing commander.

A serious cycling accident occurred at Dungannon on the 30th ult. Hugh Fitzpatrick, son of Mr. H. Fitzpatrick, Ann Street, Dungannon, was cycling down the [steep] hill at the Courthouse, and when near the foot of the hill he lost control of the machine, with the result that bicycle and [-?-] dashed with great violence against the [-?-] railings. Fitzpatrick's head struck the [sharp] end of one of the railings, rendering him unconscious.

At Omagh Petty Sessions on Monday -- before Captain Gosselin, R.M. (presiding); the [-?-] of Belmore, Colonel Battersby, and six other magistrates -- ten Nationalists named [David] M'Sorley, Patrick Mellon, John [-?-erty], Thomas Doherty, John Quinn, [Bernard] Friel, Hugh Bradley, John Paul, [Thomas] Brogan, and Charles Teague were [-?-] charged with having been concerned in the riot which took place at Omagh on 29th [June?]. The cases were adjourned for eight weeks.

A Scotch visitor took lodgings in Post [Office] Street, Warrenpoint, on the 29th [-?-], and after partaking of supper retired [to] rest. As he did not appear for breakfast [on] Thursday morning the landlady knocked [on] his door, but getting no answer she entered [the] bedroom, and found the man had been [-?-] with paralysis, and was greatly [ex-?-ted]. Rev. Mr. Maginnis, who was called [-?-] was able to make out from him that his name was Donnelly, and that he was a native of Glasgow.

Amid much enthusiasm a handsome flag [-?-] the Mitchelbourne Club of Apprentice Boys was unfurled by Lady Bruce, Downhill [-?-le], in Articlave Orange Hall, Castlerock, on the 30th ult. Since the formation of the club ten months ago it has flourished in a way that has been most gratifying to [-?-] sympathisers with the cause for which it [-?-ds]. The club is very fortunate in its [-?-ers]. They are -- President, Br. John [-?-ard]; vice-president, Br. Robert Christie; Chaplain, Br. William Tanner; secretary, Br. John Campbell; and treasurer, Br. [-?-es] Hall.

On the 30th ult., a three-year-old boy [-?-ed] George, of Grange, near Armagh, was [-?-ing] his mother, and wandered into a [road] where there were some horses. One [of the] animals kicked out viciously and struck [the] boy on the forehead. Fortunately, Dr. [-?-ge] R. Lawless, resident medical Superintendent, district lunatic asylum, was [-?-g] at the time, and he conveyed the [-?-] child in his motor car to Armagh [-?-ty] Infirmary, where Surgeon J. M. [-?-y] attended to the injury. The boy is progressing favourably.

Apparently under the impression that the [houses] were used as a storehouse for the [-?-] of the local battalion of the Ulster Volunteer Force, a daring raid was made on the yard of Mr. David Pedlow, motor agent, [-?-], Lurgan, on the night of the [30th] or morning of the 31st ult., one of the [-?-] out buildings, in which numerous [-?-] packages enclosed in sacking were [-?-] being broken into. Several of the [packages] were ripped open, but, instead of [-?-] the contents were found to be metal [-?-].


By the bursting of a furnace containing molten metal at Palmer's Blast Furnaces, Jarrow on Friday, four men were roasted to death. Their remains were rendered unrecognisable.

Mr. A. P. Noel, a well-known Cardiff coal exporter, and partner with Mr. D. A. Thomas, Cambrian colliery proprietor, died at Bridgend on Saturday from injuries received in a motoring accident earlier in the week. Deceased, who was 48, started life as an office boy with Mr. Thomas.

The sagacity of a dog saved the lives of Mr. E. Lee, a master at Eton College, and his family. They reside at Ye Olde Falge, Slough, and Mr. Lee was awakened in the middle of the night by his dog scratching and whining at the bedroom door. Mr. Lee found the kitchen and study ablaze, and this part of the house was gutted, valuable pictures and books being destroyed.

The Committee of the Captain Scott Memorial Fund have accepted an offer of the Admiralty of a site at Greenwich Hospital for the erection of the memorial to the brave explorer. It immediately faces the river, and is midway, between what are called King Charles's and Queen Anne's Buildings. The Admiralty stipulate that the memorial shall be in keeping with the character of the architectural surroundings, in the opinion of experts whom they will consult, and before the actual position is selected a light framework model will be made, so that its effect may be judged in situ.




The Volunteers of Lislane and Killybready, composing A Company of the Roe Valley Battalion, assembled on parade on Sabbath last at their respective drill halls, and marched thence to Balteagh Presbyterian Church, where a special service was held.

The men wore part equipment and were accommodated in reserved seats. Rev. Joseph M'Kee, B.A., one of the chaplains of the battalion, and Rev. Dr. Orr conducted the introductory service, the sermon being preached by Rev. T. E. Culbert, B.A., commander of G Company (Boveva), from the text 1 Peter ii. 15 -- "Sanctify the Lord in your hearts, and be ready always to give an answer to every man of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." The collection was on behalf of the equipment fund. The company was under the command of Commander S. D. H. Harrison, with Half-company Commanders Jas. Caskie and John Logan. There was a large congregation.


In connection with Magherafelt district section of the South Derry U.V.F. Regiment a parade took place on Sunday evening to Union Road Presbyterian Church. The companies taking part were -- Knockloughrim (Commander W. Groogan), Desertmartin (Commander W. Palmer), Megargy (Commander J. M'Geehan), Ballymoghan (Commander J. Hamer), and Magherafelt (Half-Company Commander J. Gamble). The Volunteers wore caps, belts, and side arms, and assembled at the Orange Hall, Magherafelt. Having formed into order they proceeded, via Market Street, Broad Street, and Union Road, to the church, the centre aisles of which had been specially reserved for them. In addition there was a large congregation, this sacred edifice being filled to overflowing. The preacher was the Rev. E. Ritchie, M.A., B.D., who gave an excellent discourse, based upon the 34th verse of the 11th chapter of Hebrews -- "Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens." The music was appropriate and nicely rendered, Miss Hunter presiding at the organ. The collection was on behalf of the Volunteer Fund, and was taken up by Lieutenant-Colonel Waters, C.B.; Messrs. John George, V.S.; James Brown, solicitor; John Walker, John Johnston, and W. Gamble. The service concluded with this singing of the National Anthem.



The Royal Commission.

The King has been pleased to approve that a Royal Commission be appointed, comprised of the following:-- The Right Hon. Lord Shaw of Dunfermline, the Right Hon. Mr. Justice Molony, one of the judges of the King's Bench Division, of the High Court of Justice in Ireland, and the Right Hon. William Drennan Andrews, retired judge of the same court. The terms of reference are as follows:-- To inquire into, and report upon, the events connected with the, and ensuing from, the recent landing of arms at Howth, including the circumstances in which the military were requisitioned to assist the civil power of the City of Dublin, and the origin and character of the disturbances which occurred.



Three Historic Pictures.

The Honourable William Warren-Vernon, of 105, Cadogan Gardens, London, has presented to the Council of the County Borough of Belfast three valuable pictures of considerable historical interest. They are now on view in the City Hall, and doubtless will be transferred to the keeping of the Library and Technical Instruction Committee as valuable additions to the Art Gallery. The pictures are --

(1) A very fine portrait of his great grandfather, Admiral Sir John Borlase-Warren (1753-1822), by Opie.

(2 and 3) Paintings by Pocock, representing the defeat of the French Fleet under Commodore Chef d'Escarde Bompart in Lough Swilly, 11th October 1798.

This fleet had for its object the invasion of Ulster by French troops (5,000). Sir John Warren destroyed this fleet, and for his action received the thanks of Parliament, as well as the Freedom of the City of London. He also received complimentary letters from Lord Nelson, William IV. (then Duke of Clarence), and Charles X. (then Comte d'Artois). The son of the donor, who was a midshipman on board H.M.S. Russell, and for whom the pictures were being kept, lost his life by a fall from above in 1906. In presenting the pictures to Belfast, the Honourable William Warren-Vernon has intimated that he can think of no better home for them than the Town Hall of the city of Belfast, where they would record the successful defence of Ulster from the attack of a daring foe.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 14 August, 1914


MACKENZIE -- Aug. 10, at Ingleside, Old Cavehill Road, Belfast, to Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Mackenzie -- a daughter.


BROWN -- At The Manse, Bandon, James Buchan Rentone Brown, aged 23, student for the Ministry, elder son of Rev. Thomas Brown, M.A. Funeral to-morrow (Saturday), at three o'clock.

LEGATE -- Aug. 12, at Spafield, Holywood, Theophilus Legate, late of Wm. Kirk & Partners, Ltd. Funeral private. No flowers, by request.

ADJEY -- Aug. 8, at 65, Carlisle Street, William John Adjey (late Car Inspector), husband of Isabella Adjey.

AULD -- Aug. 6, at Carragullin, Sarah, wife of John Auld.

BROWN -- Aug. 11, at Mageradartin, Hillsborough, Robert Brown.

CARLISLE -- Aug. 10, at Railway Tavern, Moira, John Carlisle, husband of Sarah Carlisle.

CARMICHAEL -- Aug. 7, at Glynn Village, Thomas Carmichael.

CUNNINHAM -- Aug. 5, at The Square, Ballyclare, Abraham Cunningham, aged 79 years.

CURRELL -- Aug. 6, at Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, Crawford Alexander, son of John Currell, aged 11 years.

DEANE -- August 7, at a Private Nursing Home, Belfast, Joseph Deane, J.P., of Londonderry.

DEMPSTER -- Aug. 10, at Finvoy, Bloomfield, Margaret Jane, wife of James Dempster.

DICKSON -- At Milecross, Newtownards, George Dickson, in his 83rd year.

DODDS -- Aug. 7, at her parents' residence, 13, Derlett Street, Agnes, the dearly-beloved daughter of William and Margaret Dodds.

DWYER -- Aug. 10, at Belvedere, Lisburn, Co. Antrim, Elisabeth, widow of the late Francis Dwyer, Esq., J.P.

HARPER -- Aug. 6, at 1, Glencar Villas, Henderson Avenue, Belfast, Elisabeth, wife of James Harper.

HARRISON -- August 11, at Magheradartin, Hillsborough, Margaret, widow of the late Joshua Harrison, senior.

HENDERSON -- Aug. 8, at Fernbank, Armagh, Joseph H. Henderson.

JOHNSTON -- Aug. 11, at Rosemount, Killeshil, Annie Jane, wife of James Johnston.

LAVERY -- Aug. 12, at Coleraine, Andrew Ross, son of William Lavery, Beechwood, Doagh.

MILLAR -- Aug. 8. at 5, Market Road, Ballymena, Katherine, wife of Samuel Millar.

MONTGOMERY -- Aug. 7, at 165, Albertbridge Road, Belfast, Grace Clifford, wife of J. J. Montgomery.

M'CLELLAND -- Aug. 8, at 50, Rutland Street, Belfast, Thomas N. M'Clelland, husband of Jennie M'Clelland.

M'CORMICK -- Aug. 8, at St. Fillan's, Perthshire, Hugh McNeile McCormick, in his 75th years.

M'DOWELL -- Aug. 10, at 11, Lomond Avenue, Agnes, widow of the late Samuel M'Dowell, Banbridge.

ROBINSON -- Aug. 8, at Aughaloughan, Robert Robinson.

SAUNDERSON -- Aug. 9, at Winterdene, Cavehill Road, Robert Howie Saunderson, aged 65.

STUART -- Aug. 6, at 121, Wellesley Avenue, Jane, wife of Thomas Stuart.

WILSON -- Aug. 12, at 5, Lincoln Avenue, Belfast, Sara Jane, widow of the late George Wilson, Blackskull, Dromore.



The death took place in London at midnight on Saturday of Mr. Alfred Chichele Plowden, until recently Metropolitan Police Magistrate.

Mr. Plowden, who was born in Meerut, India, in 1844, was the eldest son of the late Trevor J. Chichele Plowden, B.C.S. He was educated at Westminster and Oxford, and from 1866 to 1868 acted as private secretary to Sir J. P. Grant, K.C.B., Governor of Jamaica. He was called to the Bar in 1870, and after being Recorder of Wenlock for ten years was appointed in 1880 a Metropolitan Police Magistrate, a post which he held until his retirement last month. Mr. Plowden was very popular on the Bench, and often relieved the tedium of Court solemnity by witty sayings. He published in 1903 "Grain or Chaff," a humorous account of life experiences as a Metropolitan Magistrate.



Washington, Thursday. -- Mrs. Wilson, wife of the President, died this morning.

Washington, Friday. -- President Wilson has received hundreds of messages of condolence in regard to the death of Mrs. Wilson, and these include telegrams from King George and President Poincare. The funeral will take place at Rome, Georgia, on Wednesday.



South Derry Freemasonry has lost a valuable member by the death of Mr. James Rodgers, which occurred at his brother-in-law's residence at Dundoan, near Coleraine, on Wednesday last. The late Mr. Rodgers was a native of Castledawson and an extensive farmer. The funeral took place to Castledawson Presbyterian burying-ground on Friday afternoon. In addition to the general public there was a large representation of the brethren belonging to Curran Masonic Lodge and Magherafelt Royal Arch Chapter, both of which institutions sent beautiful wreaths. The chief mourners were Messrs. Thomas Shiels (uncle), W. G. Shiels and James Johnston (cousins), Daniel Rosborough and S. Peacock (brothers-in-law), and A. M'Ivor (relative). Rev. W. D. Rea, M.A., Coleraine, conducted the funeral service at the home.



Bequests to Presbyterian Churches.

Mr. John Reid Stirling, of Ballytober, Dunluce, County Antrim, farmer, who died on the 29th March last, left personal estate in the United Kingdom valued at 3,872, and by his will he left 50 for the benefit of Ballyclabber Presbyterian, Reformed Church, 50 for the benefit of Glanmanus Presbyterian Reformed Church, 100 to the Presbyterian Church for the Aged and Infirm Ministers' Fund of Ballyrashane, and 100 to the Presbyterian Church of Ireland for the Aged and Infirm Ministers' Fund of Dunluce.




Mr. Thomas Colquohoun, J.P., of Rockfast, [-?-ana], County Donegal, who died on the [-?-] March last, left personal estate in the United Kingdom valued at 23,055, of which [-?-] is in England.

On Monday the four Suffragettes -- Mrs. [-?-], Miss Evans, Miss Wickham, and Miss [-?-] -- charged in connection with the explosion at the Cathedral in Lisburn, were committed for trial at the assizes.

The effect of the war from an industrial point of view is already making itself felt in Londonderry. Notices have been posted on the walls of several factories intimating that the business establishments are immediately [-?-] short time.

A sensational shooting case was reported to police at Kingscourt, County Cavan. on the 5th inst., as a result of which a [-?-] man of the labouring class has been [put] under arrest, charged with having fired [-?-] at Patrick M'Kenna, a native of the [-?-] who now lies in the Bailieborough Hospital.

A serious cycling accident took place at [Mullaghatague], near Dungannon, on the afternoon of the 9th inst., when a young man named William Chambers, of The Ross, near [-?-stown], who was cycling with his [-?-] to Moy, dashed against the buttress of the railway bridge at Mullaghatague. He was promptly attended to by Dr. J. W. J. [-?-]

The death took place on Friday morning in [-?-], where he underwent an operation, Joseph Deane, J.P., managing director of the firm of Deane & Co., jewellers and goldsmiths, Londonderry. The deceased was a native of Dungiven, County Derry, and all his business life was spent in the Maiden city. In early years he was a prominent [-?-]

[-?-] of great enthusiasm marked the departure from Portadown on Monday evening of Major Blacker, J.P., Royal Field [Artillery], who has been called up for service at the front. The local battalion of the [-?-] Regiment of the Ulster Volunteer Force of which Major Blacker is the commander turned out in full force and escorted him to the railway station, and hundreds of [-?-] ceased work in the factories and [accompanied] the Volunteers on their march [-?-] the streets.

Mr. J. M'Gonigal, K.C., will open the revision of the lists of voters for North Tyrone at Drumquin on Tuesday, 8th September. He will continue the revision at Castlederg for the polling districts of Castlederg and Killeter on 10th September, and at Strabane on Friday, 18th September.

Ballymoney Urban Council on Monday considered a memorial from a large number of shopkeepers in the town asking an order under the Shop Hours Act fixing the hour of closing business houses at seven o'clock p.m. on four days and ten p.m. on Saturday throughout the year. It was decided not to take any action.

On Sunday afternoon an anniversary service in connection with the celebration of the Relief of Derry was held in the open air at Derrycorry Orange Hall, Moy. The service was under the auspices of Summer Island Royal Black District Chapter. The lessons were read by Rev. Percy Marks, B.D., rector of Annaghmore, and an impressive address was given by Mr. Thomas Murray, a Dublin member of the order. The offertory at the close was in aid of the Lord Enniskillen Memorial Orphan Fund.

At a meeting of the Newcastle Branch of the National Lifeboat Institution yesterday, the Chief Inspector of the Institution intimated that they had put on order a lifeboat of the Ruby pattern for Dundrum Bay so as to comply with the stipulations contained in the will of the late Mr. Cleland, Downpatrick, who bequeathed 2,000 for the purpose. It was decided to hold a launch and parade on Saturday, 22nd inst., and arrangements were made for the sale of cornflowers and the making of a collection.


A small boat containing seven men, which went out at Barry Port, Carmarthenshire, capsized apparently while crossing the bar. One of the men was picked up early next morning in an exhausted condition at Penclawdd, but the other six are missing.

News reached Newport, Mon., on Saturday of the sudden death at Pontypridd of Sir Edward Anwyl, the Welsh scholar. Deceased, who was forty-eight years of age, was the newly-appointed principal of Monmouthshire Training College for Men. He was formerly professor at Aberystwyth University College.

It is understood that the resignation of Sir John Ross of Bladensburg, Chief Commissioner of Dublin Metropolitan Police, has been accepted by the Lord Lieutenant. Sir John Ross tendered his resignation when Mr. Harrell, the Assistant Commissioner, was suspended from duty, following the attempt on the 26th July to disarm National Volunteers.

Considerable damage was caused by fire to the mail boat Connaught, lying at her berth at Kingstown. The outbreak, which was noticed at about 1-30 in the morning, was caused by the explosion of two over-heated oil tanks in the engine-room. The Kingstown Fire Brigade, under the charge of Capt. O'Carroll, were immediately on the scene. Five lines of hose were laid on, and, with the aid of the donkey engines, the fire was extinguished, but not before considerable damage had been caused.

The Mersey Dock strike was settled on Friday, following upon a protracted conference between representatives of Labour and the Dock Board, in view of the war and with a desire that the operations of the Government in the port of Liverpool shall be accelerated. It is agreed when the war is concluded that certain questions shall be discussed. The Board agree to receive a delegate of any particular union, but not from any federations of unions. The strikers will be reinstated as required. The present rates of pay will continue.

On Friday a shocking fatal accident occurred at Salthill, Galway, when Thomas Mulvay, the driver of a tramcar, was killed. The car was proceeding up King's Hill, close to Lower Salthill, when the horses became frightened and ran away at full speed. Mulvay noticed that one of the connection bolts was loose, stooped down to put it in its place, and was thrown in front of the tramcar, which went over his body, inflicting shocking injuries, from which he died ten minutes later. A clergyman who was passing on a motor car had a very narrow escape.


Shanghai, Saturday. -- News has reached here of the killing of the famous Chinese brigand, White Wolf.

Mexico. City, August 6. -- The Council of War has decided unconditionally to surrender the city to the Rebels.



Closed Off at Night.

On Monday, owing to the scarcity of water in the reservoirs, the Belfast Water Commissioners cut off the city supply from seven o'clock, and did not turn it on until eight o'clock next morning, and this state of affairs will be continued until further notice. It is thought that by husbanding the resources at the present time any further restriction will be rendered unnecessary, but consumers ought to make it their business to co-operate with the Commissioners, in order that every contingency may be provided for. If care and caution are exercised by consumers, the supply will be adequate, but if the water be wilfully wasted and the rainfall during the next two or three weeks should not come up to expectations, the Commissioners might eventually have to resort to a more serious curtailment. Through the courtesy of Mr. Richard Hamilton, the esteemed and capable secretary to the Water Commissioners, we are able to state that the water in store yesterday was l,283,000,000 gallons, compared with 1,987,000,000 gallons on the corresponding day of last year. On the 10th August, 1911, the quantity was 1,030,000,000 gallons.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 21 August, 1914


ARCHIBALD -- Aug. 17, at Greystones, Cyprus Avenue, Bloomfield, Belfast, to James B. and Agnes Archibald -- a son.


HADOW--DAVIDSON -- Aug. 15 (by special licence), at the residence of the bride's father, by the Rev. B. MacDonald, Douglas Scott Hadow, Indian Police, youngest son of Major-General F. E. Hadow, (late) R.A., to Kathleen, younger daughter of S. C. Davidson, Seacourt, Bangor, County Down.

PATTON--M'KINNEY -- Aug. 18, at Molesworth Street Presbyterian Church, Cookstown, by the Rev. John Entrican, B.A., Alexander Patton, M.B., Pomeroy, only son of Joseph A. Patton, J.P., Castlecaulfield, to Ethel S., eldest daughter of Samuel M'Kinney, Oldtown, Cookstown.


KILPATRICK -- July 31, 1914, at Mattapan Hospital, Boston, Robert John, second son of Arthur John Kilpatrick, Ballylane, Glenanne, County Armagh, aged 20 years. Interred in Cedar Groove Cemetery.

ARNOLD -- Aug. 15, at 4, Pacific Avenue, Antrim Road, Margaret, widow of James Arnold, and daughter of the late John Moreland.

BINGHAM -- Aug. 14, at Corporation, Killyleigh, John Bingham.

BLAIR -- Aug. 15, at 53, Moyola Street, Robert Blair, late of Fernagh, Whiteabbey, aged 82 years.

BLEALKEY -- -Aug. 13, at Bosallagh, County Fermanagh, John Bleakley, aged 90 years.

CHARTERS -- Aug. 19, at the Sanatorium, Whiteabbey, David, only son of the late David Charters.

COATES -- Aug. 16, at Huntly, Derryvolgie Avenue, Belfast, Charlotte, widow of the late Foster Coates.

COOPER -- Aug. 18, at 20, Glenallen Street, William, second son of the late Sampson M. Cooper, C.E.

DONALDSON -- Aug. 16, at Solheim, Dundalk, J. Randal Donaldson, Solicitor.

DUTHIE -- Aug. 17, at Winnipeg (the result of an accident), David, second son of David Duthie, 33, Oakland Avenue, Belfast.

EWART -- Aug. 18, at Newcastle, William, husband of Margaret Ewart.

FRAZER -- Aug. 15, at Ballymoney, Craigavad, Elizabeth Frazer, aged 68 years.

GREY -- Aug. l3, at 385, Newtownards Road, Frederick Gray, Dentist.

GREEN -- Aug. 18, at Bank House, Markethill, William John Green.

HARPER -- Aug. 13, at 95, Rugby Avenue, Mary, wife of James Harper.

HILL -- Aug. 13, at 148, Ravenhill Road, Alexander (Sandy), second son of the late John Hill, Belfast.

HOGG -- Aug. 18, at Fernlea, Cyprus Avenue, Belfast, William Hogg (formerly Managing Director Jennymount Mills).

KERR -- Aug. 15, at his residence, Palentine Water, Sam Kerr, beloved brother of Sara Kerr, son of the late Sam Kerr, Ballypalady, and grandson of the late Mr. Samuel Kerr, Ballyhatfield, Doagh.

MAGEE -- Aug. 15, at Main Street, Ballyclare, Nellie, wife of Francis Magee.

MAXWELL -- Aug. 16, 1914, at his residence, 21, Willowbank Street, Antrim Road, Belfast, William Maxwell, formerly Secretary of Belfast City Mission. W. C. MAXWELL.

MILLIKEN -- Aug. 17, at Royal Victoria Hospital, Victor Thomas Alexander, husband of Fanny M. Milliken, 27, St. Ives Gardens.

M'BRIDE -- Aug. 13, at Kilbride, Robert M'Bride, aged 91 years.

M'CARTAN -- Aug. 12, at Castlewellan, Patrick Francis M'Cartan.

M'GRUTHER -- Aug. 13, at 12, Sunbury Avenue, Bloomfield, Janet, wife of Alex. M'Gruther.

M'MECHAN -- Aug. 18, at Ballybranagh, Downpatrick, James, youngest son of the late James M'Mechan, aged 38 years.

M'MILLAN -- Aug. 17, at Orlock, Old Cavehill Road, Agnes Giffin, widow of the late William M'Millan.

M'VICKER -- Aug. 13, at Craignamaddy, William James M'Vicker, aged 68 years.

SHAW -- Aug. 17, at Ballywooley, Samuel, husband of Annie Shaw.

STEVENSON -- Aug. 16, at Kilmacrenan, County Donegal, Frances A., widow of the late Samuel Stevenson, Merchant, Londonderry.

STOCKMAN -- Aug. 14, at 93, Howard Street South, Anne Jane, wife of Samuel Stockman.

THOMPSON -- Aug. 13, at Ardmore, Galwally, Susanna, wife of Robert R. Thompson.

THOMPSON -- Aug. 14, at 53, Cedar Avenue, Belfast, Maggie, daughter of the late William Thompson.

WATSON -- Aug. 17, Samuel J. Watson (late of R.I.C., Henry Street).



Re-opening by Moderator.

The re-opening services in connection with Ballyreagh Presbyterian Church were held on Sunday, when the Rev. James Bingham, M.A., D.D., Moderator of the General Assembly, attended, and preached at both services. Large congregations were present. The church, of which Rev. Isaac Sloan, B.A., Clerk of Dungannon Presbytery, is pastor loci, has been completely renovated, a handsome pulpit placed in the building, and an up-to-date heating apparatus has been installed. These improvements necessitated a total outlay of 500, one-half of which was voluntarily subscribed by the congregation, while a further sum of 117 was collected in the district, and 30 was raised by means of social gatherings. There was still a deficit, caused by the installation of the heating apparatus. At the noon service special Psalms were rendered, and special prayers in connection with the present crisis were offered. The Moderator gave a very impressive address from Psalms cxliii. 8, "Cause me to hear Thy loving kindness early in the morning, for in Thee do I trust," in which he dealt with seeking God, finding God, and following Him. He made a strong appeal with regard to liquidating the debt on the church. The Moderator also preached at the evening service.



The "Dublin Gazette" announces:-- The Lord Lieutenant has been pleased by warrant under his hand bearing, date the 11th day of August, 1914, to appoint Mr. Robert M'Quitty, to act temporarily in the office of Clerk of the Crown and Peace for the County of Antrim and the County of the City of Belfast, in the room of Mr. H. M'Neile M'Cormick, deceased.

Mr. M'Quitty has been Deputy Clerk of the Crown and Peace for a considerable time, and on several occasions he fulfilled Mr. M'Cormick's duties at the Assizes.



Mrs. Lawson, Caulfield Terrace, Newry, who died in November last, has bequeathed 50 to the Newry Hospital; to the Presbyterian Orphan Society in Ireland, 50; to the widows' fund of the Reformed Presbyterian Church in Ireland, 50; and as to the residue of 500, she directed the same to be paid to the trustees for the time being of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Riverside, Newry.




The remains of this much-esteemed gentleman were laid to rest in the City Cemetery on Tuesday in the presence of a large company of friends and sympathisers. The congregation of Duncairn, of which, deceased was a member of session, was well represented, as well as the Central Presbyterian Association and the executive of the Belfast City Mission, and over twenty missionaries of which the deceased had control during his lifetime. The service in his late residence, Willowbank Street, was conducted by the chairman of the mission (Rev. Dr. Montgomery) and at the graveside the Rev. Dr. M'Kean read the Scripture lesson, and offered up prayer.

Rev. Dr. Montgomery, in his remarks, said -- We have met this morning to lay in their last resting place the remains of one of the worthiest citizens which Belfast has ever known. Mr. Wm. Maxwell was not only esteemed, but beloved by all who knew him. He was a National school teacher, and came under good and helpful influences daring the memorable year of grace, 1859, and from that time onward he took an earnest part in promoting the interests of the Saviour's kingdom. At that time he was engaged in business with the firm of Messrs. Workman, but he subsequently applied to be appointed a missionary in connection with what was then the Old Town Mission, afterwards the Belfast City Mission. Mr. Maxwell devoted himself to earnest work amongst the needy and outlying with unstinted devotion. He was engaged as missionary by the old Fisherwick Church, then located upon the site of this present Church House and Assembly Hall. This historic congregation, then as now, took the deepest interest in work amongst the humbler classes, and whilst Mr. Maxwell was the missionary and leader, an earnest band of workers from the congregation seconded his efforts, so that in the Fisherwick Place Mission district, with its centre in Hutchinson Street, a very successful and many-sided work was carried on. After fifteen years' successful service as a missionary Mr. Maxwell was called by the directors to take up the position of secretary and financial agent of the mission; it became then his duty to superintend the work of the other missionaries. He assisted them in every way in his power, and encouraged them in their arduous efforts; and he also cared for the finances of the enterprise. Into all these duties Mr. Maxwell entered with the greatest heartiness. His visits to the different mission stations were always welcome, and he often cheered them by wise and kindly words in the presence of the various difficulties which confront a city missionary. With the continued esteem and goodwill of the Mission Committee and superintendents, Mr. Maxwell continued his invaluable work, until failing health obliged him to send in his resignation something more than a year and a half ago. This resignation was accepted with the greatest regret, and the committee and the superintendents' Board passed resolutions expressing their warm appreciation of what Mr. Maxwell had done on behalf of the Belfast City Mission. Since that time the health of this devoted veteran in God's service gradually declined. His only son bestowed on him unremitting attention all through his illness, and with him, and with the other relatives, the deepest sympathy will be felt, in the great loss they have sustained. Mr. Maxwell was one of the few remaining worthies of the great 1859 awakening, and now he has gone to join the majority. He was a gifted speaker, and he gave to the religions world from time to time inspiring poems almost entirely upon religious themes. These have been published from time to time in the form of booklets, and whilst all of them are good, some are of exceptional merit: Mr. Maxwell was for many years a colleague of the late Messrs. Charles and William Finlay, and lived in the warm esteem of the late Dr. Williamson, and the noble band of elders associated with Fisherwick Place Church thirty or thirty-five years ago. We lay his dust down to sleep, feeling in our hearts that a devoted fellow-labourer has entered into the bliss of the saints' everlasting rest. His removal speaks to the entire mission staff and to all who were associated with Mr. Maxwell, saying, "Work while it is called day, for the night cometh when no man can work."



On Sabbath last a memorial memorial tablet to the memory of the Rev. Andrew Hamilton Beattie, for sixty-nine years minister of the Third Presbyterian Church, Portglenone, was dedicated by the Rev. W. J. Jamison, B.A., Rasharkin, assisted by the Rev. W. F. Shepherd, B.D., minister of the church. The tablet, which is placed in the vestibule of the church, records the dates of the birth, ordination, and death of the deceased minister, with appropriate texts of Scripture-



The "Dublin Gazette" announces that James Mercer, 96, High Street, Newry, jeweller and cycle dealer, has been adjudged bankrupt.

At Derry Petty Sessions on Friday Mr. Patrick Shields was sworn in as a Justice of the Peace for the city, before Colonel Johnstone, R.M.

In connection with the war a pastoral addressed by the Lord Bishop of Derry and Raphoe to the clergy and laity of the united Diocese was read in all the churches on Sunday.

A verdict of accidental drowning was returned at a Coroner's inquest held in Derry on Saturday on the body of Patrick O'Connor, aged thirty-six, a blind man, which was recovered from the Foyle on Friday.

Close on thirty foreigners have reported themselves to the Derry city police in pursuance of the terms of the Royal Proclamation. Most of them on complying with the usual conditions were allowed to leave.

On Saturday afternoon, a serious driving accident took place at Mr. Maguire's corner, Coalisland, whereby a little boy, aged about five years, son of Mr. J. J. O'Neill, a respectable merchant in the town, was injured.

On Friday a blind man named Patrick Connor was drowned in the Foyle, opposite Fish Lane, Derry. Dragging operations were commenced, and shortly after noon the body was recovered by Patrick Gallagher, a labourer.

As the result of a shooting affray near Carrickmacross, Patrick Murtagh, Annafarson, was on Saturday taken into custody on the charge wounding Thomas M'Geough, Corleygoram. M'Geough is also a farmer, and is aged over 70 years.

The members of the Templepatrick Working Men's Association have decided to devote the proceeds of their annual flower show and exhibition of home industries to the Lord Mayor's fund for the relief of families of reservists serving in the war.

Dr. M. O'Kane, J.P., Coroner for Derry, held an inquest on Friday into the circumstances attending the death of Samuel Thompson Campsie, Glasgow, whose body was found floating in the Foyle on Tuesday. The jury returned a verdict of "Found drowned."

Now that the North Sea fishing has been stopped, a large trade is being done in fishing at Ardglass. A very considerable quantity was shipped to London and Glasgow last week. This (says a correspondent) recalls the good old times when the bulk of the catch at Ardglass was shipped to London, Liverpool, Birmingham, and Glasgow.

At Omagh Petty Sessions on Monday District Inspector Conlin charged a boy named Noble Thompson, Omagh, with the larceny from the Y.M.C.A. of two letters, one of which contained a cheque for 104, the property of Mr. James Whaley, rate-collector, Shanreagh. The Chairman severely admonished the defendant for his conduct and dismisses the case.

At a meeting of Newry Urban Council on Monday a resolution recommending the conservation of food supplies and asking the Local Government Board to take action accordingly was received from the Limerick County Borough Council. The resolution was adopted, and a committee representative of the different public and philanthropic bodies was appointed for the alleviation of distress.

The prospects of a fairly abundant harvest are manifest throughout Downpatrick district notwithstanding the scarcity of rain. The upland hay was well saved, the yield being satisfactory, whilst meadow hay proved about an average crop. Potatoes are promising well, and the early diggings prove up to standard. The blight has not made its appearance to any appreciable extent. Turnips are looking well.

At Derry Petty Sessions on Monday a vellum certificate awarded by the Royal Humane Society to Harbour-Constable John T. M'Kinlay (who, as an army reservist, has been called, up for active service) for his gallant conduct in saving a child from drowning in the Foyle was presented by Mr. Wm. Austin, the presiding magistrate, to Harbour-Sargeant Porter to hand over to Mr. M'Kinlay.

A meeting of ladies of Maghera and district was held on Monday evening in the Assembly Hall, Maghera (on the invitation of Mrs. Clark, of Largantogher), to take steps to collect money and to work for the soldiers and sailors engaged in the war and for their dependents, and for any who might require aid on account of the war. Arrangements

The Newry police last week arrested three Germans named Adolphus Beck, C. Muller, and J. Hermann, hairdressers, for having failed to report themselves under the new Aliens Order. Later on the defendants were brought before a magistrate, and, having given the necessary bail, they were released.

On Monday Dungannon Grass-seed Market was held, but, as the usual channels for sale on the Continent are no longer available, only thirty-fire bags of perennial grass-seed were brought in. These were disposed of at 7s per cwt. On the previous day, which was the first market of the season, only a few bags were offered for sale.

At Donaghadee Urban Council meeting on Monday night a letter was read from Town Clerk of Belfast containing information as to the fire engines which the Belfast Corporation had for disposal, but it was decided to defer consideration of the matter. The report on the sanitary condition of the town showed a very satisfactory state of affairs.

A special service of intercession for the soldiers and sailors was held in Derryloran Parish Church on Sunday. A company of the Ulster Volunteer Force, under Mr. John Byers, commanding officer; Mr. Louis Adair, and Mr. W. J. Lavery. paraded to the number of 140, wearing side-arms only, but the company colours had a guard with fixed bayonets.

The Pomeroy police are investigating an outrage which took place in the townland of Munderadoe, about four miles from the town, on Friday night last. It appears that after ten o'clock a crowd of Nationalists assembled outside the residence of Mrs. Trimble a widow, and smashed in the parlour window with stones, one missile weighing 7lb. smashing the woodwork of the window. They also discharged a regular volley of revolver shots.

On Monday night Clones Urban Council met. Mr. H. Murphy, solicitor to the Council, wrote on the subject of the houses recently condemned by the Medical Officer of Health, as unfit for human habitation, suggesting that some of the worst cases should be selected and that the magistrates should be asked to make the usual order directing the houses to be closed until they are rendered fit for habitation. It was decided that a selection of the cases to be taken to court be made by a committee of the Council.

At a meeting of the Committee of Management of Derry County and County Borough Infirmary on Tuesday, Dr. Cooke, house surgeon, reported as to the arrangements entered into with the military authorities for dealing in cases of emergency with wounded soldiers. When mobilisation began the chairman and he offered the military authorities at Ebrington Barracks the use of thirty beds in the infirmary for cases where operations were required, should a large number of surgical cases be thrown on the Londonderry military base hospital. This offer had been accepted.



At a meeting on Monday of the General Purposes Committee of the City Corporation, a letter was read from Sir Edward Carson, thanking the committee and the Corporation for having conferred upon him the freedom of the city.

The date of the ceremony has not been arranged yet.



Much regret will be felt in the city and throughout Ulster at the death of Mr. Geo. Dickson, J.P., founder of the firm of Messrs. Dickson & Son, Ltd., Royal Nurseries, Newtownards, which occurred on the night of the 12th inst. at his residence, Milecross.

Mr. Dickson had been in his usual state of health during the day and made no complaint when he retired to rest shortly after nine o'clock. He had reached the age of eighty-three years, was a Newtownards man, and early developed his horticultural horticultural business by his practical knowledge, his keen foresight, and abundant energy. The fame and reputation of the firm's roses became such that it has been remarked if the average schoolboy were asked for what was Newtownards noted the reply would probably be, "Dickson's roses." The qualities and excellence of the roses raised in Newtownards soon brought the firm to the forefront among rosarians, and the main credit of this is due to the deceased. Full of energy, he found time also to devote some of his abilities to the benefit of the local community, and he was chairman of the Newtownards Board of Guardians from the passing of the Local Government Act until 1906. The services which he had given to the rosarian world were recognised by the Royal Horticultural Society, who paid him the highest honour in their power by conferring upon him the decoration of M.V.H. Genial and kindly in his disposition, the late Mr. Dickson made hosts of friends, who sincerely regret his demise and extend their heartfelt sympathy to his sorrowing family. The funeral will be strictly private.



The Press Bureau issued the following at 5-30 p.m. yesterday:--

The War Office issues the following:--


In addition to the death of Sir J. M. Grierson, already announced, the following deaths and accidents are reported from France:--


Major A. Hughes Onslow, late 10th Hussars, reserve officer -- Died 17th August.

The following were killed in an accident on 16th August:--

Second Lieutenant W. C. Perry, Royal Flying Corps, Special Reserve, and 725 Second Class Air Mechanic H. E. Parfitt, Royal Flying Corps.


Colonel M. W. J. Edye -- Seriously injured in motor accident 16th August; doing well.

Brigadier-General A. H. Short, R.A. -- Injured in motor accident, 16th August; doing well.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 28 August, 1914


FINLAY--SMYTHE -- Aug. 20 (by special licence), very quietly owing to the war, at the Cathedral, Belfast, by the Very Rev. the Dean, Arthur Reginald Gayer, only surviving son of the late Arthur Gayer Finlay and Mrs. Finlay, Ardmora, Myrtlefield Park, Belfast, to Phyllis Carney, second daughter of the late Fleming Herbert Smythe, Constantinople, and Mrs. T. D. C. Wallace, Kensington, London.

HENDERSON--FINLAY -- Aug. 19, 1914, at Ballygilbert Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. Wm. Dickson, B.A., of Galashiels, assisted by the Rev. John Waddell, B.A., of Bangor, William, second son of David Henderson, Forthill, Bangor, to Margaret (Maggie), youngest daughter of John Finlay, Fairview, Clandeboye.

REID--ANDERSON -- Aug. 12, 1914, at Dundonald Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. J. M'Adam, B.A., John Arnold Reid, son of the late Wm. Scott Reid, to Elizabeth Moore, daughter of the late Thomas Anderson, both of Spa, Ballynahinch.


CARLETON -- Aug. 22, at his parents' residence, 37, Portallo Street, Belfast, Thomas, the dearly-beloved son of Thomas and Sarah Carleton, aged 1 year and 9 months. Interred in Dundonald Cemetery on Monday, 24th, at two o'clock.

MAYBEN -- Aug. 25, 1914, at Bangor (suddenly), William Mayben, aged 84 years. The remains of our dearly-beloved father will be removed from his late residence, "Dalton," Connsbrook Avenue, Strandtown. Funeral private. Inserted by his Family.

RODGERS -- Aug. 26, at her residence, Brookland Villas, North Road, Carrickfergus, Agnes, relict of the late James Rodgers. Her remains will be removed for interment in Carnmoney Burying-ground this (Friday) afternoon, 28th inst., at three o'clock.

TAYLOR -- Aug. 27, 1914, at his residence, Creevy, Lisburn, William John Taylor. His remains will (D.V.) be removed for interment in the Boardmills Secession Graveyard on to-morrow (Saturday), 29th inst., at twelve o'clock noon. Friends will please accept this intimation. ROBERT TAYLOR.

ANDREWS -- Aug. 14, at Royat, France, Mary Katherine Andrews, of 12, College Gardens, youngest daughter of the late Thomas Andrews, F.R.S., Vice-President Queen's College, Belfast.

AULD -- Aug. 21, at Ballyhone, Monkstown, James Auld.

BRAITHWAITE -- Aug. 23, at Ruberslaw, Tunbridge Wells, Robert Tenison Braithwaite, late Secretary of the Ulster Bank, Belfast.

BRAMSTON -- Aug. 22, Georgie, youngest son of John Bramston, late of Bethel Cottage, Victoria Avenue, Sydenham, Belfast.

CHAMBRE -- Aug. 21, at Dungannon House, Hunt Walsh Chambre, in his 83rd year.

CHARLTON -- Aug. 19, at 4, Idrone Terrace, Blackrock, Maria, widow of the late Clement Charlton, J.P., of Newbliss.

COEY -- Aug. 22, at The Glen, Limestone Read, Belfast, James Coey in his 89th year.

COLVILLE -- Aug. 21, John Andrew Colville, son of the late James Colville, Roslyn, Victoria Avenue, Newtownards.

DEVENNEY -- Aug. 23, at Mossley, Mary Eliza, wife of Robert Devenney.

FRACKLETON -- Aug. 24, at Ardkeen, Tyanee, Portglenone, Elizabeth, relict of the late Rev. S. S. Frackelton, M.A., Portglenone.

GELSTON -- Aug. 24, at Ballyhanwood, Agnes, relict of the James Gelston (aged 90 years).

HAMILTON -- Aug. 24, at Scarva Street, Banbridge, Robert Hamilton.

KIRK -- Aug. 23, at the Infirmary, Lisburn Road, William John, youngest son of the late Thomas Kirk, Hydepark.

MACAFEE -- Aug. 23, Edna, wife of Rev. Thomas Macafee, of Ardglass.

MARTIN -- Aug. 2, at Vancouver, Robert Martin, formerly of Coleraine.

M'CULLAGH -- Aug. 25, at Lisburn, Mary Jane, widow of the late Robert M'Cullagh, Fortland, Aghalee.

M'KENNA -- Aug. 21, at Thomas Street, Armagh, Jane, wife of John M'Kenna, Seed Merchant.

M'MORRIS -- Aug. 22. at "Laragh," Ardsnlea Avenue, John M'Morris, ex-Sergeant R.I.C.

REID -- Aug. 23, at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, Thomas D. Reid, of Ballylurgan House, Randalstown.

ROGERS -- Aug. 22, at 22, Derryvolgie Avenue, John Rogers, aged 75 years.

STEELE -- Aug. 21, at Marino, Holywood, John Steele, formerly Clothier, Donegall Street, in his 89th year.

SYE -- Aug. 21, at 18, Brougham Street, Elizabeth (Lizzie), wife of Robert Sye.

UPTON -- Aug. 23, at his residence, The Manse, Waibi, N.Z., Rev. William White, M.A., eldest son of the late Ed. White, Ballycarry, County Antrim. (By cablegram.) Inserted by his Brother, ED. WHITE. Ballycarry.

WYLIE -- Aug. 23, at her residence, Montana, Whitehead, Susanna, widow of John Wylie.



Much regret is felt at the death of Mr. James Coey, The Glen, Antrim Road, who passed away on Saturday after a lengthened illness. Deceased, who was the father of Mr. James Cowie, manager of the Midland Railway Northern Counties Committee, and of Mr. Harry Cowie, of the same railway, had reached the advanced age of eighty-nine years, and was a devoted member of the Methodist Church and an earnest class leader, and Christian worker. For many years he had been connected with Carlisle Memorial congregation, and was greatly respected by all who knew him. He is survived by his wife and three sons and three daughters.



We regret to announce the death of Mr. Joseph H. Lytle, J.P., head of the firm of Messrs. John Lytle & Son, Victoria Street, which took place yesterday at his residence, Carlton House, Malone Road. Mr Lytle, who had reached the age of seventy-four, was the last surviving son of the late Mr. John Lytle, who was Mayor of Belfast in the early sixties, and for many years was a prominent personage in the commercial and civic life of the city. His firm had in these early days a prominent position in Belfast, and it has sustained it ever since. The deceased Mr. Lytle did not take the active part in municipal and public life that his father did, but he was held in the highest respect by all who knew him, and sustained the honourable and enterprising traditions of his honoured father. If the deceased devoted himself to the discharge of the responsible management of the important concern he controlled, he was not indifferent to the great municipal and political issues that were involved, and, in his own quiet and unostentatious way took an interest in all that made for the development of the municipality and far the great Unionist interests in which the interests of the city were inextricably involved. But Mr. Lytle was greatly interested in the commerce of the city and in everything that made for its development. In addition to the responsibilities of his large business he was a director of the Ulster Chemical Company, and also a director of the firm of Peter Lawson & Son, of Liverpool. He was a man of sterling character and honour as well as of great commercial ability. But he was eminently a modest and unpretentious man, who felt that it was his duty to do the thing that was nearest, and did it. He was a staunch Presbyterian, connected with Fisherwick Presbyterian Church, as his father was, and took the greatest and most sympathetic and liberal interest in all its affairs. He is survived by his widow, three sons, and one daughter, to whom we tender expressions of the most sincere sympathy and condolence on the death of one whose domestic and commercial life was characterised bv fidelity and honour.



Intimation of the death of the Rev. John Munro Mackenzie, a native of Nigg, Rossshire, at Dolhain, Belgium, on 8th inst., has come through the Foreign Office. Mr. Mackenzie had been taking the waters at Bonn since the beginning of July, and was returning, with other refugees, to London after the outbreak of war, when unwittingly he crossed the fighting line over the Belgian border, where he was among the killed. Mr. Mackenzie studied in Glasgow University from 1868 to 1872, took licence in the United Presbyterian Church, and was ordained at Wick in 1876. In 1881 he was inducted minister of the Mount Pleasant English Presbyterian Church, Liverpool, as successor to Professor Graham. For several years he had been in impaired health, and was living in retirement in London.



The death occurred with great suddenness on Saturday night of Mr. David C. Hogg, M.P. for Londonderry. He was sitting in an armchair at his residence, Clooney, Londonderry, when he suddenly collapsed and expired. The end was not unexpected, for Mr. Hogg had been very seriously ill for months, but he was so well that last week he was out for several drives. He was not robust, but there was no reason to suspect that his heart was seriously affected as the result of the illness.

The late Mr. Hogg was born in February, 1840, in Midlothian, his father being a farmer. He began his business career in connection with the shirt industry in Glasgow, and while a young man joined the staff of Messrs. M'Intyre, Hogg, Marsh, & Co., in Londonderry, with one of the partners of which he was related. After middle life he started business on his own account, and subsequently took into partnership Mr. Mitchell, an English gentleman, the firm trading as Hogg & Mitchell. The concern had much prosperity, and ranks as one of the largest in Londonderry. Mr. Hogg was the last of the Old Gladstonian Liberals in the city. While all his former colleagues in the old struggles between Conservatives and Liberals became Conservatives on Mr. Gladstone entering the Home Rule camp, Mr. Hogg remained. Liberal, and when invited by the Nationalists in January last to contest the Derry City seat as a Radical he accepted the nomination. He was returned by a majority of fifty-seven. He attended Parliament during the closuring through of the Welsh Church Bill, and voted in a few divisions on the Home Rule Bill, but he was ill during the greater part of the time in which he sat as member for Derry. He was also president of the Chamber of Commerce. A Presbyterian in religion, Mr. Hogg was a ruling elder of the First Derry congregation.

The Press Association, stated -- The vacancy caused by Mr. Hogg's death finds substantial numbers of both Nationalists and Unionists on active service as a result of the calling out of the reservists, and this can hardly fail to have a bearing on the forthcoming election. In January, 1913, the figures were -- Mr. D. C. Hogg (R.), 2,699; Lieutenant-Colonel Pakenham (U), 2,642.


On Tuesday the remains of the late Mr. D. C. Hogg, M.P. for Londonderry, and his Majesty's Lieutenant for County Londonderry, were removed for interment in the City Cemetery, The Lord Lieutenant was represented by his hon. chaplain, the Rev. Dr. Hamilton, and sent a wreath bearing the following inscription -- "From Lord and Lady Aberdeen in deepest sympathy and with abiding valued memories." The Ulster Liberal Association was represented by Mr. Thomas M'Dowell organising secretary, Belfast, and Mr. Henry H. Graham, J.P., hon. secretary of the association, who represents the chief Liberal Whip. The Mayor of Londonderry and members of the Corporation attended almost in a body. The session and committee of First Derry Presbyterian Church, of which deceased was a life-long member, was represented by Professor MacMaster, Professor Paul, and others. The chief mourners were Mr. Robert Hogg, son; Mr. Alexander Cooke, brother-in-law; Rev. William M'Neill, Birkenhead, son-in-law; Master James M'Neill, grandson; Mr. R. Leo Hogg, J.P.; Mr. John Hogg, Mr. Wm. Hogg, Mr. Denham Corbett, Mr. H. Corbett, nephews; Mr. T. M. Ratchen, C.E.; Mr. John M'Neill, and Mr. Charles M'Neill. Before the removal of the remains a short service was conducted by the Rev. James M'Granahan, D.D., who also officiated at the graveside.



Service in the Y.M.C.A.

On Monday afternoon the weekly meeting for prayer connected with the above was held in the Minor Hall, Y.M.C.A. Sir Robert Anderson occupied the chair, and there was a large attendance.

The opening hymn, "I to the hills," having been sung, Rev. Edward Riddall led the assembly in prayer. Rev. W. Maguire read the Scripture lesson.

The speaker for the day was the Rev. A. S. Woodward, Ballysillan, who based his message upon the injunction "Pray without ceasing." He said they had met rather to pray than to hear an address. He wished to remind them, however, that they had assembled as those who believe in God, who is still the great I Am. They lived in testing times. There had been brooding over Ulster the dark cloud of an appalling disaster. Several times they feared it might break over their heads, but up till that time God had averted the danger, he believed, in answer to prayer. As they were assembled that day the future destiny of their province might be trembling in the balance, and was it not their duty to be importunate in supplication, to pray, according to Holy Scripture, without ceasing. In addition to that vital matter affecting Ulster, there was the larger question of the appalling war on the Continent. It was reported that the first great battle was being fought that day as they met there in quietness and peace. How many more were to follow no man could tell. When they read of the atrocities by the Germans -- alas! only too well authenticated -- they wondered whether they were living again in the ancient days of the Spanish wars. It was not a religious war, for associated with Protestant Germany was Roman Catholic Austria, and fighting alongside Roman Catholic France was Protestant England. Again, he said, let them pray without ceasing that this disastrous war might speedily end.

Mr. Bass, of the Society of Friends, and one or two others, led in prayer.

The Rev. Mr. Montgomery mentioned that at the suggestion of a number of those interested in the meetings the proceedings would in future conclude in from thirty-five to forty minutes.




It is with sincere regret, both from a public and a personal point, that I have to announce the death of Mr. John Rogers, who for over half a century was honourably connected with the staple trade of the city. He passed away on Saturday at his residence, Derryvolgie Avenue. Mr. Rogers was long a distinct personality in the commercial, public, and political life of the city. He was a gentle man of strong individuality, high charades and yet modest, kindly, and unpretentious in his bearing. He was a native of Newtownards, and was born in 1839. He was privately educated in Belfast, and in 1855 entered the service of Messrs A. & S. Henry, one of the few firms that has remained in its old name from that time to the present. After completing his apprenticeship and gaining experience and position in the trade he joined the firm of Messrs. Henry Matier & Co., with which he was associated for a large part of his life. He ultimately became a partner in the firm, but after Mr. Matier's death the partnership was dissolved, and owing to ill-health Mr. Rogers was for twelve months out of business. On his recovery he was appointed managing director of the Brookfield Spinning Company, a position which he held for four years, during which his business knowledge and foresight were prominently displayed. Ill-health compelled him to retire from that position many years ago -- in the year 1900 -- and since then he did not take an active part in business, but he was elected chairman of the directors of the company, and held that position till his death. In commercial circles, and especially in connection with the staple trade, Mr. Rogers was held in the greatest respect, the soundness of his judgment and clearness of his foresight and his great knowledge of men and affairs rendering him an invaluable counsellor and advisor, Mr. Rogers was for many years a member of the Harbour Board, where his many business qualities and his quickness of thought and practical sagacity were highly appreciated, and were all freely employed for the benefit of the Trust and the city. Mr. Rogers was a staunch and sterling Liberal of the old school, but, in common with countless companions, he left Mr. Gladstone when he deserted Unionist Liberalism, which was his old policy. He was a staunch and unbending Unionist to the last; and one of the last conversations I had with him was on leaving a meeting of the Ulster Unionist Council, in whose work he took a great interest, and with which he sincerely sympathised. He was a popular member both of the Ulster Reform Club and the Union Club, and among the members of both his death will be deeply and sincerely regretted. Mr. Rogers was a member of the First Presbyterian (Unitarian) Church, Rosemary Street, and held the position of treasurer and member of the committee for many years. He was married in 1866. His wife predeceased him some fifteen years. He leaves three sons and two daughters. His tall, erect figure, his manly independence, and his straightforwardness, his staunch support of all that he believed true and right; his interest in all that made for the welfare of the city, the country, and the Empire are familiar to all who knew him.

The funeral took place on Monday morning to the City Cemetery. Prior to the interment a short service was held, Rev. Professor Gordon, who was formerly connected with the city, being the officiating clergyman.

The arrangements were in the hands of Messrs. Melville & Co., Townsend Street, and were admirably carried out.




On Saturday 700 of the Waterside and East Ward Volunteers, armed with Mauser rifles and bayonets, marched to Caw, the grounds of Mr. T. F. Cooke, D.L., where drill was engaged in under the direction, of Major Morris.

The bazaar organised by the ladies of Portstewart and district for the purpose of liquidating a debt of some 500 incurred in renovating the Dr. Adam Clarke Memorial Church in Portstewart was successfully opened in the Cromie Institute on the 20th inst.

On the 20th inst. a German named [Ervin] Bernhart Shotz, who resided at [Drummiller], Dromore, with his wife, also a German, was arrested by the Dromore police and conveyed by the evening train to Belfast. Shotz was by occupation a photographer.

Mrs. Lucy Thompson, from Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. expired suddenly in Newtownards last week. She was home on a health holiday to her native place, and had been for some weeks residing with her father, Mr. David M'Master, of Blackstaff, between Kirkubbin and Ardkeen.

An unhappy accident happened last week off Bogey Rock, Bundoran, when John Leonard, despite the efforts of three persons to save him, was drowned. The body, however, was recovered. Mr. Leonard, who was aged about twenty-five, was a school teacher in the County Cavan.

At a special meeting of Armagh Urban Council Mr. J. C. Boyle, city surveyor, applied for leave of absence to enable him to take part in the war, he having volunteered for active service. He recommended that Mr. George H. Mills, C.E., bo appointed to act. The application was granted/

The constabulary at Loughgall and Richhill were informed on Friday evening that an audacious burglary had been committed at the house of a man named John O'Neill, residing at Kilmore. A sum of money, consisting of twenty sovereigns and some silver, together with a silver watch and chain, had been taken.

At Cookstown Board of Guardians on Saturday, Nurse Milligan, charge nurse in the infirmary, wrote that she had offered her services for nursing during the war, and she and she would be obliged if the Board would keep her place for her. It was decided to keep the place for the nurse in case she was [called] out.

At a special meeting of Magherafelt Rural Council last week, the committee appointed in connection with the Moneymore water supply recommended that the present well at Assembly Rooms be closed up and a new one sunk at a different place, and that [Law-?-ord] Street well be cleaned out. These recommendations were approved.

On Saturday morning the Austrian steamer, [Attila], which was released by the British Government after having been seized by a cruiser and brought into Lough Swilly, left [in] the enjoyment of a period of grace. An informality had taken place in connection with the seizure, the legal time not having expired after the declaration of war.

The steam drifter Mary Bowie, one of the fleet at Ardglass, had a 100-ton cran [?hot] on the 14th inst. Landed at Fleetwood, it realised 220. The North Sea being practically closed to them since war was declared, several drifters from the East of Scotland have returned to fish at Ardglass. The total catch is being freshed now, as [-?-ring] is at a standstill.

Claims for 48 for alleged malicious injuries to a lime kiln and store at [Carrick-?-hedoge], Carrickmacross, have been received by the Rural District Council of Carrickmacross, on behalf of General Vessy Brownlow, and Bernard Clarke. It is alleged that a large quantity of lime and culm was maliciously burned by the removal of a plug in the vent of the kiln.

While sinking and exploring for water on the lands of Mr. M. J. Quinn, in the townland of Killycolpy, adjacent to the shores of Lough Neagh, about five miles from Stewartstown, during the past week, Mr. John Herron, of Coalisland, a veteran in mining operations, discovered a 2ft. 6in. seam of coal [-?-pping] north-east, also lignite about eight feet from the surface. The royalty belongs to Mr. J. B, Gunning-Moore, D.L., J.P., Cookstown.

An outbreak of fire occurred on Monday at the premises of Mr. A. D. Sutherland, painter and decorator, Abbey Street, Coleraine. A motor cycle was destroyed.

On Sunday evening a special parade of the Moy Company Dungannon Battalion Ulster Volunteer Force was held, when the men marched to the Parish Church under the charge of Mr. Alexander Robinson, J.P., officer commanding the company, and Mr. William Gilmore, half-company officer.

Cycling into Limavady on Sunday to conduct the service at the local workhouse, in the absence of Rev. Canon King, M.A., the Rev. R. S. Benson, B.A., of Garrick Rectory, Limavady, met with a serious accident. Mr. Benson fell with great force, sustaining extensive injuries to the right elbow joint, and also receiving serious injury to his left arm.

On Tuesday evening a special meeting of Lisburn Urban Council was held for the purpose of considering a circular letter from the Local Government Board relative to the formation of a representative committee for dealing with any distress which may arise in consequence of the war. It was decided that the Council should fall in with the County Council scheme.

Information was received in Warrenpoint on Tuesday that Captain E. E. Johnson, commander of the ss. Nicoya, one of the fleet of steamers of Elders & Fyffes, Limited, had been captured by the Germans, and is now a prisoner. Captain Johnson, who is the youngest son of Mr. William Johnson, Duke Street, Warrenpoint, arrived at Hamburg on the Saturday before the declaration of the war.

At a meeting of Ballymoney District Council Mr. David Hoey, medical officer, reported that at a meeting of the Water Committee on the 14th August it was resolved that the fountain at M'Neill's be made right, and that the Council's engineer be requested to examine the pipes at Bushmills, as they might be choked with sediment. The Hon. Sir Charles Macnaghten said there were two supplies of water to Bushmills. One of these was quite good, but it was not sufficient for the whole of the town, as the reservoir was too small. He suggested that an engineer be employed to make an examination and report to the Council. It was decided to refer the matter to the local committee, with power to consult an engineer.


A farmer named Clark (aged sixty) has been found with his throat cut near Lybster, Caithness-shire. Isaac Macphee (tinker) has been arrested and charged with the crime.

At Bedford Karl Kley, aged twenty-five, of London, was sentenced to three months' hard labour for travelling more than five miles from his registered address without a permit, contrary to the Aliens Restriction Order.

John M'Cloughlin, a private in the Highland Light Infantry, on duty at Porthcurno Cable Station, near Penzance, has been shot down. It is alleged he was in custody for insubordination, and attempted to escape with his rifle, being shot, it is stated, by the corporal in charge in self-defence.

Alderman Taylor, formerly Mayor of Hull, who is staying at Salibum with his family, telephones to Hull that his son Thomas (aged 23) has been shot dead by a sentry whilst motor cycling from Hull to Saltburn. Mr. Taylor left late on Friday afternoon with his eldest brother in the side car.

On Saturday two young miners named Morgan and Hayes, who had travelled by excursion from Durham, were bathing in the sea from South Shields beach, when they were carried out of their depth by the, current, and drowned. Two girls bathing near saw the men in difficulties, but could render no assistance.

A White Paper issued on Saturday shows that the total number of emigrants leaving the United Kingdom for places within the British Empire during July was 12,289 compared with 24,722 in July last year. For foreign countries 5,529 persons departed compared with 7,420. Immigrants during the month totalled 9,720.

Damage estimated at many thousands of pounds was done by a fire which occurred on Saturday at the mill of the Bury Felt Manufacturing Company, Bury. Two upper storeys and their contents were destroyed. A Government order had been received, and the stock of raw material was heavy The cause of the outbreak is unknown.

At Newark on Saturday Private Austen Noland, 4th Battalion Yorkshire Light Infantry, was killed while on guard at a tubular bridge over the Trent, on the Great Northern main line. Deceased was changing guard and walking on the line when, to avoid a train, he stopped aside, and was knocked down and killed by a light engine.

In connection with the fatal shooting of Private Coulter, of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, in a tent at Aghda Camp, near Midleton, through the accidental discharge of the rifle of Private Keane, of the same corps, the latter, who was detained in Cork Jail, was charged at Midleton with having caused the death of his comrade. After hearing the evidence of the military and the polices, the Bench discharged the accused, holding that the shooting was accidental.

On Friday six bathers lost their lives at Blythe. A group of seventeen local miners from, the new Delaval Colliery went to the beach at Blythe, and plunged into the sea for a bathe. Soon after seven of them were seen to be in difficulties, and their shouts for help attracted the attention of a company of Territorials near hand. Same of the latter swam to the colliers' assistance, and one man was recovered alive, but the remaining six, although brought ashore, did not recover consciousness.

The funeral of General Grierson took place in Glasgow on Saturday with full military honours. At the same time a memorial service was held at the Scottish Church, Pont Street, London. The King was represented, as were also Queen Alexander, Lord Kitchener, and many Royalties and military officers of high rank. The pipers of the Scots Guards played the famous lament, "Flowers of the Forest." Both the funeral service at Glasgow Cathedral and the memorial service in London, were attended by large crowds.

At Bow Street, London, Henry Claud Lyon, aged forty, of Kensington, was remanded charged with stealing postal orders for 1s and 6d, the property of the Hon. Arthur Stanley, M.P., of the Red Cross Society. It was stated that the accused was employed as a temporary clerk in the society's office. He was seen in a public-house to take postal orders and stamps from several envelopes and tear up the letters. Afterwards pieces of the letters were picked up and taken to the police. When arrested accused said he had been drinking. Mr. Stanley stated that the accused had been working under high pressure. He was recommended by a well-known society.



British Destroyer's Mishap.

The Press Bureau has issued the following:--

The Commander-in-Chief, China, reports (undated) that on Saturday afternoon the destroyer Kennet, whilst chasing the German destroyer S90, approached too close to the battery at Tsing-tau, and sustained the following casualties. The Kennet was not materially damaged:--

Armstrong, John, A.B., J 3,996.
James, David, P.O., 183,045.
Ryan, John James, A.B., SS 3,609.

Barton, Amos Arthur, A.B., J 5,016.
Lane, Albert Edward, A.B., 211,520.
Shute, Alfred, stoker, first class, K 8,282.

Alderman, Thos. John, A.B., J 5,475.
Bryant, Wm. Ambrose, stoker, first class, K 8,302.
East, Sidney George, stoker, first class, K 7,444.
Thurston, Allen Thos., chief stoker, 284,846.

The above petty officers and men belong to the Chatham division, with the exception of Petty-Officer James, who belongs to the Devonport division.

The Kennet is of 550 tons displacement and 7,500 horse power, and belongs to the River class of destroyer. She is armed with four 12-pounder guns and two 18in. torpedo tubes, and carries a complement of seventy.

Destroyed S90 is one of a batch of twelve built in 1900, of 400 tons displacement, and 26 knots speed.



Apple Orchard Competitions.

During the past week the judges appointed to adjudicate on the apple orchards of Ulster had a busy time inspecting the orchards entered for the various competitions. All parts of the province were represented from County Antrim to Enniskillen in the one direction and from Enniskillen to Ballycastle in the other direction. Twenty-eight orchards in all entered viz., eight for the Aberdeen Cup, eight for the Gibson Cup, and ten for the Young Orchards Competition. The judges selected were Messrs. James Lynas, Moyallan; John Harding, Caledon Castle; W. S. Irving, of Dublin. It took them four days' hard work for completing their task. They found most of the orchards visited in very good order and bearing surprisingly good crops, considering the havoc played in some quarters by Jack Frost in the month of June last. The judges' awards are as follow --

1st, Mr. Felix Coyne, Tullyrone, Moy.
2nd, Mr. James Donnelly, Kilmore, Moy.
3rd. Mr. Thompson M'Connell, Corbally, Crumlin.

1st, Mr. C. M. Graham, Cassan House, Innishmore, Lisbellaw.
2nd, Mr. John Moffatt, Lismamintry, Portadown.
3rd, Mr. Wm. Morrow, Drumcose, Enniskillen.

1st, Mr. J. H. Stevenson, Killycomain Road, Portadown.
2nd, Mr. Janes Crummie, Artabacka, Portadown.
3rd, Miss S. W. Wright, The Cottage, Desertlyn, Moneymore.



We regret to announce the death of Mr. Robert Denison Braithwaite, which has occurred at Tunbridge Wells, where he had been residing for the post three years. Deceased, who held the position of secretary to the Ulster Banking Company for a period of ten years, was born in 1844, and spent his early days in Comber, where his father was a supervisor of Excise. He entered the service of the Ulster Bank over half a century ago, and during his extended connection with it he occupied several important positions, being finally appointed secretary to the company. After ten years' service in that capacity he resigned on pension in accordance with the regulations of the bank. He was held in the highest esteem by his fellow-bank officials, who made him the recipient of a valuable presentation on his retirement three years ago. The deceased was twice married, his first wife, being a daughter of Dr. Martin, of Blackwatertown. His second wife, by whom he is survived, was the widow of the Rev. Thomas Rodgers, of Comber, a clergyman of the Established Church of Scotland, and a son of the late Professor Rodgers, of the Queen's College Mr. Braithwaite was an ardent admirer of sport. He was one of the original members of the Comber Cricket Club, and subsequently he manifested much interest in the welfare of the North of Ireland Club.



Sincere regret will be felt at the unexpected death of Dr. Samuel Killen, which took place on Wednesday evening at his residence. High, Street, Carrickfergus. He had been in failing health for some time, but up till a week ago was able to be about. There was no reason to expect that his end was so near. Born at Kells, County Antrim, some seventy years ago, the late Dr. Killen came to Carrickfergus, where for thirty years he carried on a lucrative practice. He succeeded the late Dr. Josias W. Patrick as dispensary doctor and medical officer of health for the County of the Town of Carrickfergus, which is now known as the Urban and Rural Districts. On the death of Dr. Wm. M'Allister he was appointed military and constabulary medical attendant, and about a year ago he relinquished the former position, and his eldest son, Dr. Samuel J. Killen, was appointed. The deceased gentleman also held positions under the Factory and Workshops Acts, and was medical adviser to the inmates of Shiels' and Gills' Institutions in the neighbourhood. He is survived by his widow, three sons, and two daughters, with whom deep sympathy is felt. Two of his sons follow the profession of their father, the eldest practising in Carrickfergus and the second in Larne. The late Dr. Killen was a devoted member of the Presbyterian Church, and although he did not take any active part in politics his principles were Unionist. The interment will take place on Saturday at Connor, near Ballymena.


^ top of page