The Witness - Friday, 5 October 1917


KEATING -- September 19, at 137, Rosebery Road, Belfast, to Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Keating -- a daughter.


BLAIR--MACARTNEY -- September 26, 1917, at Warrenpoint Presbyterian Church, by Rev. David Dowling, M.A., minister of Armagh Presbyterian Church, Frederick Charles, son of William Blair, to Frances, only daughter of William Macartney, Killuney House, Armagh.

BULLER--HOUSTON -- September 25, 1917, at Chancellor Memorial Church, by Rev. Professor Kennedy, assisted by Rev. John Pollock, Alexander M'Lean Buller, third son of the late John Buller and Mrs. Buller, Loughbrickland, Banbridge, to Anna Roberta (Bertha), eldest daughter of John and Mrs. Houston, 10, Eia Street, Belfast.


COOPER -- September 27, at 2, Kimberley Villas, Whitehead, William Cooper. Interred in Antrim Churchyard.

GRAY -- October 3, at his residence, 3, Brookhill Avenue, Robert Gray. Funeral strictly private. No flowers, by request.

IRVIN -- October 3, 1917, at the residence of A. M. Brown, Tullyhenan House, Banbridge, Anna, widow of the late John Irvin. Funeral to Ballydown to-day (Friday), 5th October, at two p.m.

ARTHURS -- September 29, at her residence, 2, Bonavista Terrace, Larne, Ellen, the dearly-beloved wife of William Arthurs.

BLACK -- September 27, at his residence, 3, Edward Street, Portadown, Harold, the dearly-beloved son of John and Emma Black, aged 13 months.

BOYD -- September 28, at his mother's residence, Sheriffsland, Kilwaughter, Robert John, second son of the late Joseph Boyd.

BROWN -- September 28, at her residence, Glenbrook, Cargycreevy, Lisburn, Mary Carrothers, relict of the late Samuel Brown.

CHRISTIE -- October 1, at Thornfield, Ballymena, Annie, widow of the late Robert Christie, in her 93rd year.

CORBITT -- September 28, at his residence, Lisnacreevy House, Rathfriland, Robert Swan Corbitt, J.P.

DOUGLAS -- October 2, at her residence, Lady Bridge, Moira, Mary Elizabeth Douglas.

EMERSON -- October 1, at his father's residence, Market Street, Tandragee, Bertie, eldest and dearly-beloved son of R. Graham and Florrie Emerson.

FERRIS -- September 30, at his mother's residence, Garvagh, James, youngest and last surviving son of the, late John Ferris, Killyvalley, aged 21 years.

FORSYTHE -- September 29, at her residence, Tullybane, Elizabeth Forsythe, widow of the late Thomas Forsythe, Tullybane, Cloughmills.

HARPER -- September 30, at his residence, High Street, Ballynahinch, Robert, beloved husband of Agnes Ann Harper.

IRWIN -- September 29, at Mount Earl, Ballyclare, Emma Louisa (Louie), beloved daughter of J. T. Irwin, aged 22 years.

KNOX -- September 27, at the Infirmary, Paisley, Glasgow (the result of an accident), James, second and dearly-beloved son of Mary Jane and the late John Hamilton Knox, Lambeg.

MARTIN -- October 3, at Ballymena Cottage Hospital, Ann, relict of the late John Martin, Roughan, Broughshane.

M'ALPINE -- October 1, at 14, High Street, Newtownards, Tom (Sonny), dearly-loved son of Sarah and the late Thomas M'A;pine, boat merchant, aged 20 years.

M'MURTRY -- September 29, at her residence, Hallsville, Magheragall, Lisburn, Rose, relict of the late Captain James M'Murtry.

OWENS -- September 28, at Erganagh, Castlederg, Jane, wife of William Owens.

PATTERSON -- September 29, at his residence, Bailie's Mills, Lisburn, Alexander Patterson, P.G.L.

POUNDEN -- September 28, at The Rectory, Lisburn, Rev. Canon William Dawson Pounden, Rector of Lisburn, aged 87 years.

ROSS -- September 30, at Cultra, George Harrison Ross, in his 73rd year.

STEVENSON -- September 29, at her brother's residence, Fair View, Derryadd, Lurgan, Sarah Stevenson.

SUFFERN -- September 28, at Evervale, Killead, William John Suffern, in his 90th year.

WISEMAN -- September 28, at her residence, 19, Oldpark Road, Sarah (Sadie), dearly-beloved wife of William H. Wiseman, and daughter of the late Thos. Walsh, Drumantine, Newry.



The Earl of Arran has been appointed H.M.L. for Donegal.

The University of Rochester has conferred on Lord Northcliffe the degree of Doctor of Laws.

John M'Brearty, Porthall, Strabane, was killed on Sabbath morning by the mail train at a point near his home.

A visit of the King to Ireland to inspect munition factories is foreshadowed by an Irish correspondent of the "Sunday Pictorial."

It is foreshadowed that Sir Edward Carson intends to appoint Mr. Ronald. M'Neill, M.P., to an important post in connection with the propaganda work of the War Aims Committee.

The writ for Dublin University to fill the vacancy caused by the appointment of Mr. W. A. Samuels at Solicitor-General has been issued, and the nominations will take place to-day.

The flag and flower sale organised on Friday, and known as "Chrysanthemum Day," has realised over 1,700 for the funds of the Wounded Soldiers' and Sailors' Rest House in Belfast.

A soldier while on a visit at Winkfield, Berks, in May, 1913, sent a post-card to his mother at Reading. It reached her on August 9, 1917, and has thus taken over four years to accomplish a journey of about sixteen miles.

Charles Alexander Harris, C.B., C.M.G., C.V.O., of the Colonial Office, has been appointed Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Newfoundland, in succession to Sir W. E. Davidson, appointed Governor of New South Wales.

Since May 1 the vessels of the Isle of Man Steampacket Company made 581 trips, covering 40,586 miles, a decrease of twenty trips and 2,692 miles as compared with last season. It is half a century since so few trips were made.

Major Lord Farnham, North Irish Horse, has assumed temporary command of a battalion of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. On the outbreak of the war Lord Farnham was appointed officer commanding the North Irish Horse.

Canon Slevin, P.P., St. Johnston, one of the senior priests of Raphoe Diocese, died on Sabbath, at an advanced age. He had been ailing for about six months. A generation ago he took a prominent part in the struggle for popular rights.

Record prices were made at the sale of the Duchess of Hamilton's herd of Holstein-Frisian cattle at Easton Park, Suffolk, 1,650 guineas being paid for a four year old cow, and 1,050 guineas for her calf. Bulls averaged 266 and seventy-four cows averaged 195.

General Sir William Robertson, Chief of Staff, speaking at the opening of a hospital at Hampstead, expressed satisfaction at the progress of the war and confidence in final victory if the people at home continued to do their full share of the work in supplying the army.

Discouraging reports have been received by the Food Production Department regarding harvesting conditions in England during the past week owing to the inclement weather. There is still a large amount of corn in the fields, and in many districts the hay supply is reduced.

The second report of the War Losses Commission states that the Commissioners had up to the end of August last awarded lump sum payments amounting to 716,142 against claims for 1,664,275, and periodical payments at the rate of 346,487 a year against claims for 629,201.

Mr. W. S. Mills, M.A., D.Sc., B.E., son of the late Dr. S. Mills, Donaghmore, Newry, who has been on the research staff of Messrs. Levenstein, Ltd., dye manufacturers, Manchester, for about two years, has been appointed chemist at their new works at Ellesmere Port, Cheshire.

Most Rev. Dr. Crozier has dedicated in Cavan Church a carved oak holy table and panelling to the memory of the late Mr. R. Allen, Clerk of the Crown and Peace, Co. Leitrim, and that of his only son, the late Second-Lieutenant R. G. R. Allen, West Yorks (attached to R.F.C.), killed in action.

Mr. Louis Werner, who has been for forty-one years organist at Holy Cross Church, Ardoyne, Belfast, has received from the Pope the Croce Pro Ecclesia at Pontifice of Leo XIII. The gold cross and ribbon are accompanied by a handsome diploma in Italian authorising Mr. Werner to wear it on his breast.

A Convention of the National Volunteers was held in the Mansion House, Dublin, when a resolution was adopted expressing regret at the resignation of Mr. Redmond as president and thanking him for his services. Resolutions were also passed protesting against the seizure of the arms of the National Volunteers and the treatment of the Irish prisoners.

The death has taken place after a long illness of the Rev. J. B. Duncan, minister of the United Free Church, Lynkirk, Aberdeenshire. Mr. Duncan was a distinguished graduate of Aberdeen University, and was for some time assistant to the late Professor Bain. He was an authority on the folklore and ballad literature of the North-East of Scotland.

Ulster Day and the signing of the Covenant was commemorated throughout the province by special services and collections on Sabbath for the support of the Ulster Volunteer Force hospitals. These hospitals, which have been built, equipped, and largely maintained by Ulster funds, are open to all wounded men of his Majesty's Forces, regardless of creed or class.

The Northern representatives of the Irish Convention were conveyed from Cork to Belfast, 278 miles, in six hours. Deducting a ten-minutes' stop at Thurles and half an hour in Dublin, the average speed was fifty-three miles an hour. The 170 miles from Cork to Amiens Street were covered in 174 minutes, the fastest run ever accomplished on an Irish railway.

Richard Francis, aged three, has died at Scarborough from septic pneumonia, which supervened as a result of having swallowed a halfpenny on September 16. The coin lodged in the child's throat, and after it had been removed pneumonia supervened, and the child died. He had put the halfpenny in his mouth in order to have his hands free to wheel a little carriage.

At Wisbech, George Tansley, a large potato grower, was fined 300 on twelve counts of having sold potatoes at prices above the schedule. The excess profit obtained was 211. He pleaded that the Government had commandeered 167 tons of his potatoes at 8 per ton, while his neighbours made 11 per ton on the market. Yet they prosecuted him for these transactions.

For the past eight days the Germans, according to the estimate of French correspondents, said "Lloyd's News" on Sabbath, have lost on an average 6,000 men a day, and the special correspondent of the British headquarters says that the Germans consider it augurs ill for their success that they have been rushed from the Russian to the Western front when there is much talk of a great Russian offensive.

The new Roman Catholic Church of Saints Patrick and Brigid, Glenariff, built to replace the old edifice destroyed by fire two years ago, was on Sabbath dedicated by the Most Rev. Dr. MacRory in presence of a congregation from all parts of the Glens of Antrim and many visitors from other parts of Ireland, including Mr. J. Devlin, M.P. The sermon was preached by Very Rev. M. O'Kane, O.P., Dublin. 900 was collected.

Lord Milner, speaking at a luncheon in London given by the American Luncheon Club, said the great overshadowing fact, greater even than the Russian Revolution, was the entry of America into the war. The United States and Great Britain were both out to do what they could to make the world a better place to live in -- a place that would be safer for the weak against the inordinate ambition of a great Power -- and domination by some other law than the law of the jungle.

On Sabbath evening, under the auspices of Ballyboley R.B.P. No. 334, a special service was held in Second Ballyeaston Presbyterian Church, conducted by Br. the Rev. Alexander Gallagher, B.A., Belfast, who delivered an eloquent and impressive sermon. At the close the preacher expressed his pleasure at being there to assist in their noble effort to provide comforts for the brave men who were enduring so much for those at home. The collection in aid of the Comfort Fund for the Royal Irish Rifles was liberally responded to.

On Sabbath Mr. George H. Ross, chairman of the well-known firm of Messrs. W. A. Ross & Co., Ltd., mineral water manufacturers, Belfast, passed away suddenly at his residence, Cultra. His death will be universally mourned in business circles, for Mr. Ross was prominently identified with the world ramifications of the famous Belfast firm. A man of most sterling character and great kindliness of heart, he was endeared to all who knew him. Mr. Ross was in his seventy-third year. He was a devoted member of the Episcopal Church, and a constant attendant at Glencraig Church. img 1 col 2

Mr. V. Brew-Mulhallen has grown a potato weighing, 41b. 3oz. in one of the golf course fields in Bray.

Sir Wilfrid Laurier has announced his intention of relinquishing the leadership of the Canadian Liberal party.

The Swedish Cabinet has resigned, but the King has requested the Ministers to remain in office for the moment.

Typhoid fever has been overcome on the French front, Dr. Vincent, the well-known physician, says, owing to vaccination.

The Prince of Wales has been appointed G.M.M.G., and the Marquis of Lansdowne Chancellor of the Order, in succession to Earl Grey.

A superior amber-coloured diamond, 442¼ carats, found in the Du Toits Pan Mine, South Africa, ranks with the half a dozen of the world's most famous diamonds.

A serious fire and explosion occurred in a North of England munition factory, much damage being caused, but no deaths, although a number of workers were injured.

The "Kerry Evening Post" (Conservative) has ceased publication, after being controlled for 143 years by the Raymund family, and the office, machinery, and plant are for sale.

The V.C. has been awarded posthumously to Second-Lieutenant D. G. W. Hewatt, Hampshires, a grandson of the fourth Viscount Lifford, who was a representative peer of Ireland.

Lieutenant Voss, the famous German airmail, says the special correspondent of the British Headquarters, was found dead behind our lines after a running fight with an English airman.

Over 73,000 Salonika people, out of a population of 285,000, are homeless as a result of the recent great fire. About 7,000 are under canvas, the rest being quartered in private and public buildings.

A violent typhoon swept over Tokio on Monday. The casualties are 138 dead, 217 missing, and 168 injured, while 1,346 houses have been demolished and 100,000 rendered homeless. The damage in the country is reported to be worse than in the capital.

Experiments, so far successful, are being made by the Midland Railway (N.C.C.) with ferro-concrete sleepers as substitutes for the usual creosoted wood sleepers. The experiments are taking place in the goods yard sidings in Belfast, and on a thirty yards' length of permanent way near Whitehouse.

A destructive fire occurred in the east yard of Messrs. Harland & Wolff's shipyard, Belfast. The work's brigade was supplemented by a general turnout of the City Brigade, and they succeeded in confining the outbreak to two isolated sheds, each of which measured 40ft. by 80ft. These sheds were entirely gutted.

Belfast Guardians rejected an application for outdoor relief by an interned German's wife, who was living with her mother, Mr. Gibb declaring that, like Esau, she had sold her birthright for a mess of pottage. Mr. Savage pointed out that she was willing to work, and wanted to go to London, but the authorities would not let her.

Rev. William Maguire was elected chairman, Rev. J. W. R. Campbell, V.P., and Rev. A. Knowles secretary and treasurer, of the Belfast Methodist Ministers' Union, which sympathised with Rev. E. B. Cullen on his son's death in action; with Mrs. Wedgwood on her husband's (Rev. G. R. Wedgwood's) death; and with Miss Pounden on that of her uncle.

The death has taken place at Dar-es-Salaam of the Ven. Walter Chadwick, Archdeacon of Kairombo, and Acting-Chaplain to the Forces in East Africa. He was a son of the Right Rev. Dr. Chadwick, St. Mary's road, Dublin, formerly Protestant Bishop of Derry and Raphoe. He succumbed to an attack of black-water fever, contracted while on duty.

The late Major R. A. Smyth, Ardmore House, Derry, was interred at Glendermott Churchyard, three volleys of a firing party of Inniskillings being discharged over the grave. Judge Cooke and Mr. H. T. Barrie, M.P.; Mayor and Corporation of Derry, and the High Sheriff of the County attended the funeral. The Derry Guardians passed a resolution of sympathy.

The marriage took place in St. James's Church, Belfast, of Miss Violet C. T. Rea, daughter of Mr. H. T. and Mrs. Rea, Glandore Park, and Captain A. F. Lowry Stevenson, 4th R.I.R. The bridesmaids were the Misses W. C. Rea (sister of the bride) and M. Lawson, Stranorlar, and Mr. G. Lawlor, 4th R.I.R., was best man. Right Rev. Dr. Peacocke performed the ceremony.

At a meeting of the Board of Management of the Royal Victoria Hospital, Mr. Tate, hon. treasurer, reported the receipt of 550 from Mrs. E. M. Sinclair, "Inglewood," Adelaide Park, 500 being, to name a bed in memory of her son, George Stanley Sinclair, who was killed at the front in May last, and the remainder to nominate her son, Thomas Alan Sinclair, a life governor of the hospital.

A resolution of condolence was passed by Bangor Urban District Council to Mr. J. H. Barrett, C.P.S., on the death of his son, Lieutenant F. Barrett, in action, this being his third son lost in the war. The Chairman (Mr. J. M'Meekan, J.P.) said it was a perfect scandal that while such a family gave four sons to the world war other families had other sons who ought to be, but were not, fighting.

The marriage was solemnised in Belmont Presbyterian Church on Wednesday of Lieutenant R. Stanley Drean, M.C., Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, youngest son of Mr. Richard A. Drean and Mrs. Drean, Rosetta Avenue, Belfast, and Miss May E. Ramsay, second daughter of Mr. R. H. C. Ramsay, and Mrs. Ramsay, Ramsdene, Bloomfield. Miss Florence Ramsay acted as bridesmaid, and Lieutenant Drean was accompanied by his brother, Mr. Wm. Drean, as best man. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. MacDermott, assisted by Rev. J. S. Rutherford, Ballynafeigh. The honeymoon is being spent in the South of Ireland.



The announcement of the death of Mr. Wm. Cooper, which took place at his residence, Kimberley, Cable Road, Whitehead, will occasion widespread regret. For almost fifty years the deceased carried on an extensive drapery business in Antrim, where he was well and popularly known, until five years ago, when he was compelled to retire through failing health. During his associations with that bright and progressive Northern town he manifested a deep interest in public affairs, discharging the duties of a member of the Poor-law Board and also of the Urban Council. In the former capacity he held the position of Vice-chairman. A Unionist in. politics, Mr. Cooper rendered excellent service during election times. Identified with the Ulster Volunteer movement he did much to further its objects. A member of the Methodist Church, the deceased helped all its great enterprises, and worked most assiduously on behalf of temperance. Of a generous disposition throughout life, he was always looked upon as the friend of the poor. He is survived by a widow, three sons, and two, daughters.

The funeral took place on Sabbath, the remains being interred in the family burying-ground at the Old Churchyard, Antrim. Both at Whitehead and at Antrim there was a large and representative attendance, which testified to the high esteem in which the deceased was held. The chief mourners were -- Messrs. W. T. Cooper, Chambers Cooper (Manchester), and Robert A. Cooper, sons; T. G. Pedlow, (Castleblayney), and R. Douglas, J.P. (chairman of Limavady Urban Council), sons-in-law; Marshall Cooper, Douglas Cooper, and Wesley Pedlow, grandsons; Robert Forsyth, F. A. C. Mills, and John F. Charlesson, cousins. The service at the house was conducted by the Revs. Richard Cole, Whitehead, and Henry M'Connell, Carrickfergus, and at the graveside Rev. Mr. Cole and Rev. Dr. West ex-Moderator of the General Assembly, officiated.



Memorial Colours Presented.

An interesting ceremony took place in the Y.M.C.A. Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon when colours were dedicated and presented to the 25th Belfast Troop of Boy Scouts in memory of the late Lieutenant W. K. M. Britton, R.F.C., brother of the Scoutmaster of the Troop. The colours, a handsome Scout flag and a beautiful silk Union Jack, were presented by Mrs. Hill, the mother of the deceased officer, and Mrs. J. O. M'Cleery, respectively. Mr. D. A. Black, J.P., presided, and there was a large attendance of friends and relatives of the members of the corps.

Rev. James Pyper, B.A., performed the dedication ceremony, and said be had been greatly interested in that troop, of which each member had been doing his duty, and doing it well. The troop had been the means of raising large sums of money in aid of war funds. Their record was one of continual success, and the boys had won over seventy badges, together with twelve war service badges. Their Scoutmaster had always manifested a deep interest in the Scout movement, as had also his brother, the late Lieutenant Britton, a noble and Christian lad who had done his duty to King and country, and had, he was sorry to say, been called upon to make the supreme sacrifice.

Rev. Dr. Magill, grandfather of Scoutmaster Britton and the deceased officer, also addressed the meeting, dealing with the advantages a boy had in being a member of the Boy Scout organisation.

Mrs. Hill and Mrs. M'Cleery then presented the colours to the colour party, and the general salute was sounded. The salute was taken by Captain A. S. Frazer, Scout Commissioner for Belfast.

Mrs. Magill distributed the prizes after which afternoon tea was served.



We regret to announce the death of Canon William Dawson Pounden, which occurred on Saturday at the Rectory, Castle Street, Lisburn, where he ministered devotedly for over half a century. Born in Ballinasloe in 1830, Canon Pounden graduated B.A. in Trinity College in 1854. In 1856 he was appointed to the curacy of Waringstown. He subsequently went to Bangor, and from there accepted the incumbency of Christ Church, Lisburn, in which he administered for twenty-one years. In May, 1884, he was promoted to the Cathedral of Lisburn and Canonry of Cairncastle, in succession to Canon Hodson. In 1905, when he completed his jubilee in the ministry, he was presented with substantial tokens of regard, in which both the congregations of the Cathedral and Christ Church heartily joined, as did also the inmates of the Thompson Memorial Home, the Girls' Bible-class, the Temperance Society, and his clerical brethren of the united diocese of Down, and Connor and Dromore. Canon Pounden acted for nearly forty years as secretary to the Belfast quarterly clerical meeting. He was the sole surviving clerical member of the Old Diocesan Council, which was formed immediately after the disestablishment, and of which the only original lay member still living is Mr. J. Blakiston Houston, D.L. An enthusiastic Orangeman, he was District Master of the Lisburn brethren, and on the formation of the Ulster Volunteer Force was appointed Grand Chaplain. Canon Pounden was unmarried.

Impressive scenes took place in Lisburn during the funeral of Canon Pounden, the cortege being one of the largest and most representative ever seen in the town. The service in the Cathedral was conducted by the Right Rev. Dr. Peacocke, the sermon being preached by the Right Rev. Dr. D'Arcy. Most Rev. Dr. Crozier telegraphed his regret at being unable to attend.



As an addition to a recent discussion on the largest number of wound stripes worn by a soldier, a correspondent of the London "Evening News" writes to say that Private J. Beattie, formerly of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, and now of the Royal Irish Rifles, has been wounded eight times. The correspondent suggests that this is probably the record.



Unveiling a roll of honour at Halifax Post Office, Mr. A. H. Illingworth, the Postmaster-General, gave particulars of the demands of war on the Post Office staff. In round figures he said, there were 100,000 men of military age, of whom 78,000 had enlisted. Ten thousand were medically unfit, or in a low category, and 6,500 were awaiting the call up or had been exempted. Five thousand had been killed in action, and three had won the Victoria Cross. Nearly 700 had received other decorations, and 350 had been mentioned in despatches.



Mr. H. M. Pim, Belfast, speaking at a Sinn Fein meeting at Newtownstewart on Sunday, under the chairmanship of Mr. G. Murnaghan, jun., Omagh, said a changed feeling was coming over the Orangemen, who now realised that the Sinn Fein movement was deserving of the support of all political creeds. During the week three prominent Orangemen had volunteered to accompany him on an organising tour in the South and West of Ireland. It had been alleged in Belfast that be (Mr. Pim) was a spy in the pay of the British Government, but he denied this, and declared that he was a spy in the interests of the Irish nation and was not ashamed to say so.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 12 October 1917

Roll of Honour

PAUL -- Killed in action, October 2, 1917, Second-Lieutenant C. A. Paul, aged 19 years and 11 months, second and only surviving son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles J. Paul, Glenvale, Howth Road, Dublin.


CHARLTON -- October 3, at 31, Eglinton Street, Portrush, to Mr. and Mrs. F. Charlton -- a daughter.


M'DOWELL -- October 3, 1917, at her residence, Grange Corner, Toomebridge, Sophia Jane, youngest daughter of the late Samuel M'Dowell. Interred in Grange Presbyterian Church Burying-ground on 5th October, 1917.

ROBINSON -- October 3, 1917, at his late residence, Alexander Terrace, Lurgan, Samuel C. Robinson. His remains were interred in J the family burying-ground, High Street, on Saturday, 6th inst.

ACHESON -- October 8, at Tullyhappy, fifth son of John Acheson, aged 21.

BELL -- October 8, at his residence, Coagh, Hugh H. Bell.

BOYD -- October 5, at Green Street, Carrickfergus, Jane Boyd.

BRERETON -- October 5, at her residence, Ivy Vale, Corcreevy, Hillsborough, Matilda Jane, daughter of the late Moses and Matilda Brereton.

COTTERELL -- October 8, at her residence, 106, High Street, Holywood, Margaret A., wife of John Cotterell.

DORMAN -- September 24, at 122, Simpson Avenue, Toronto, Elizabeth Robinson (Bessie), wife of William John Dorman, formerly of Belfast.

FERGUSON -- October 5, at his residence, Huntly, Queen Street, Ballymoney, John Ferguson, the beloved husband of Maggie Ferguson.

HACKNEY -- October 4, 1917, at her residence, Lansdowne Road, Margaret, dearly-loved wife of Alexander Hackney.

HOLMES -- October 5, at his son's residence, Carnheath, Carrickfergus, John Holmes, plumber, late of North Street, Carrickfergus.

IRWIN -- October 4, at his residence, Howard Terrace, Dungannon, Colonel John Staples Irwin, C.B.

MAWHINNEY -- October 9, at his residence, Tullynore, Hillsborough, James, dearly-beloved husband of Eliza A. Mawhinney.

MOORE -- October 5 (suddenly), at his residence, Springbank, Newtownards, James Moore (of Moore Brothers, High Street, Newtownards), the beloved husband of Margaret W. Moore.

TEGGART -- October 8, at her residence, Edenderry, Banbridge, Jane, dearly-beloved wife of John Teggart, D.C.

THOMPSON -- October 7, at his residence, Church Place, Lurgan, Robert William Thompson, M.R.C.V.S.

WRIGHT -- September 4, at her residence, The Three Maples, South Aldergrove, B.C., Canada, Sophie, beloved wife of J. W. Wright, and eldest daughter of the late T. H. Bothwell, Magheraknock N.S., Ballynahinch, Co. Down.



The death of Mr. B. W. D. Montgomery took place on Friday at his residence, Mount Lyons, Antrim Road, Belfast. The deceased gentleman filled a large place in the commercial and political life of Belfast. He was born at Ballykeel House, Dromore, in 1853, and was the second son of the Rev. Thomas H. Montgomery, M.A., Ballykeel House. He relinquished a commission in the army to take up business, and for many years he was a heading figure in the linen industry in Ulster, being a partner in the firm of Messrs. John Preston & Co. of Callender Street, Belfast. He was closely identified with the Ulster Unionist Council, and rendered excellent service upon the Standing Committee. He was one of the secretaries of the North Belfast Unionist Association, was president of the North-East Unionist Club, and was interested in the formation of the Ulster Volunteer Force. He was a member of the Episcopal Church.



The Admiralty have taken over all rum in bond in the United Kingdom.

America has made additional loans of 8,000,000 each to England and France.

The Canadian Parliament has been dissolved and a General Election is expected in January.

Over 20,000 applications have been received by the Department for sugar for Irish domestic fruit-growers.

The "Agenzia Volta" says there is no truth in the rumour that the Pope has summoned the Irish bishops to Rome.

The French steamer Apache foundered during a gale. Four of the crew were saved. The remainder, fifteen in number, were drowned.

Consequent on the decreasing U-boat danger, the Norwegian war insurance for transport in the North Sea has been reduced from 8 to 7 per cent.

Admiral Sir Frederick Tower Hamilton, Commander-in-Chief at Rosyth since June, 1916, died suddenly at Rosyth. Sir Frederick was born in 1856.

District-Inspector John J. Heatley, Antrim, is retiring after forty years' R.I.C. service. He served in Counties Cork and Donegal, Belfast and Tubbercurry.

At a meeting of the Executive Committee of the County Antrim Agricultural Association at Ballymena it was decided to hold the animal show on 19th June next.

On closing the Workhouse, the Lisburn Guardians abolished the three chaplaincies, and accepted the resignation of Dr. Alexander, of Knocknadona dispensary.

In all probability, says the writer of Clubland Gossip in the "National News," Sir Francis Hopwood, the Secretary to the Irish Convention, will shortly be created a baron.

Lord Rhondda has released a large cargo of Australian butter to alleviate the shortage, and he has promised an amended Order dealing with Irish creamery butter supply to Manchester.

A Boston message says that the Food Administration of the New England States have asked the people to refrain from eating white bread on Wednesdays and Thursdays during the war period.

Mr. Hughes, the Australian Prime Minister, has announced that the purchase of butter by the Imperial Government involves a total weight of 30,000 tons, the value of which amounts to 4,500,000.

At a meeting of the Fermanagh Protestant Board of Education, Rev. E. Seale, headmaster of Kilkenny College, was appointed headmaster of Portora Royal School, in succession to the late Mr. R. G. Burges.

Professor D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson, C.B., Dundee University College, son of the late Professor Thompson, Queen's College, Galway, has been appointed Professor of Natural History in St. Andrews University.

A deputation from the Association of Secondary Teachers (Mr. W. J. Williams, Mr. G. A. Watson, Miss Scott, and Miss M'Hugh) waited on Mr. Duke, and put before him the association's views regarding the new Intermediate grant.

To secure predominant power in the House of Commons the British Labour party expects to have 300 candidates pledged to labour at the next General Election. Mr. A. Henderson proposes to devote himself to the advancement of the project.

Sir Auckland Geddos, National Service Minister, speaking at Nottingham on the intended bombing of German towns, said the Premier informed him that Great Britain had put her hand to the plough in this matter, and would see it through.

Jarrow Coroner's jury found that James Pyle Forsyth, aged forty-eight, clerk, died from anthrax after using a new sharing brush and cutting himself whilst shaving. The doctor associated the shaving-brush with the setting up of anthrax.

Mr. F. D. Finlay, Regent's Park, London, one of the founders of the "World," and formerly proprietor of the Belfast "Northern Whig," left 20,895. He left half his property for life to his wife, and subject to that the whole to his three children.

Mr. James Moore, of the firm of Messrs. Moore Bros., hardware, fancy goods, and seed merchants, died suddenly at his residence, Springbank Terrace, Newtownards. He was hon. treasurer of the Newtownards branch of the North Down Unionist Association.

As the floods in China, which cover an area of 20,000 square miles, have not subsided, it is feared that the Yellow River has changed its course. There is a prospect that, Tientsin will be ice-bound and that Pekin will be so isolated that the capital may have to be removed.

The number of animals shipped from the port of Belfast during the week ending the 6th October, 1917, was -- 6,400 cattle, 1,085 sheep, 2 goats, 18 horses; total animals, 7,505. For corresponding week last year -- 3,249 cattle, 578 sheep, 363 swine, 46 horses; total animals, 4,236.

Mr. William Harvey, of Roundhay, Leeds, father of Mr. T. Edmund Harvey, Liberal M.P. for West Leeds, has given to the nation his well-known collection of old Dutch and Flemish masters, including pictures by Rubens and Vandyke, valued at 70,000, at present in the Tate Gallery.

It was reported to County Armagh Asylum Committee that some of the patients had worked fifty-seven days with neighbouring farmers, the asylum benefiting to the extent of 270, and, as the patients received dinner and tea where they were employed, there was a further saving of 62.

The Right Rev. Dr. James Cooper, Professor of Church History in Glasgow University, a native of Elgin, has been presented with the freedom of the City and Royal Burgh in recognition of his position as Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland and his services to Church and State.

Patrick M'Laughlin, a Malin farmer, was discharged under the Probation of Offenders Act, for breaking his son's rifle and bayonet, when the latter was home on furlough. Both had had drink in Carndonagh. The Judge said it was an outbreak of temper, and not hostility to the son being in the Army.

A fire has completely destroyed the great theatre at Panayeff, which, since the beginning of the war, has been used as an army post office. Twenty-five soldiers who were sleeping in various parts of the huge building perished in the flames, and numerous others are missing. It is feared the death-roll exceeds 100.

The Sultan of Egypt, his Highness Hussein Kamel, has died, after a long and at times painful illness. He ascended the throne as first Sultan of Egypt on 19th December, 1914, following the deposition of the ex-Khedive. The Sultan Hussein, who was in his 64th year, is succeeded by his youngest brother, Prince Ahmed Fuad.

Statistics issued by the Department of Agriculture show a colossal decrease in the number of pigs in Ireland during the past two years. For the forty completed weeks of 1917 up to October 4, the total number of Irish pigs bought dead and of those exported was 1,030,218, a decrease of 55,541 on the corresponding period of 1916.

Lieutenant Charles Frederick Wormall, R.F.C., died at Stamford Infirmary from injuries received while flying from a southeastern county to the north. Deceased was the observer and was flying with Second-Lieutenant Cecil Beatty, who was the pilot. In landing the machine came to grief, and both officers sustained serious injuries.

A Tokio message regarding the typhoon reports over 500 deaths in the Tokio prefecture alone. Several villages in the neighbourhood of Tokio have been totally destroyed. In Sunamura alone 300 bodies have already been discovered. The small island of Uruyasu has completely disappeared. Here 300 inhabitants perished. The damage to property is estimated at over 100,000,000 yen.

During the week-end storm off the West coast of Scotland, the steam tug Flying Falcon, of the Clyde Shipping Company, was severely buffeted by the high seas, which got into the engine-room. Three of the crew attempted to row ashore, but were drowned. Life-saving apparatus was sent up, and the second shot sent the ropes over the tug, from which eleven men were rescued after narrow escapes.

At an International Conference at Berne of Trade Unions a letter was read from the English Federation announcing that it refused to confer with Germans while their armies occupied invaded territory. Herr Bauer said Germany was not making a war of conquest, but defending her own soil. The Conference declared itself incompetent to fix the responsibilities of peoples to their Governments for the war.

Dr. Sinclair has notified the Forfar County Council that the conditions under which Irish farm workers in Dundee district live are absolutely disgraceful. The Chairman added that the people slept in lofts or anywhere, and at one place the accommodation was deplorable, there being no sanitary facilities, and the workers lying on the floors on straw or sacks. The matter was referred to Dr. Sinclair and two committee men.

Rev. A. Spence, formerly curate, Christ Church, Derry, who has been a military chaplain for over a year, has received the Military Cross.

Belfast Corporation General Purposes Committee, in view of recent advances, declined the application of various sections of municipal employees for an increase of war wages.

Sir Edward Letchworth, who resigned his post as Grand Secretary of the English Freemasons last month on account of ill-health, after over twenty-five years' service, died on Monday.

The Executive of the National Union of Railwaymen has decided to establish an Irish Council to consider improvements in hours, wages and general conditions of service on Irish railways.

The Honourable Alexander Bruce, third son of the late Earl of Elgin, has been accidentally killed in East Africa, where he was an assistant district commissioner. He was thirty-three years of age.

Irish postal servants demand that the present war bonus be merged into wages and increased to 15s for full time officers, says "The Irish Postal and Telegraph Guardian," which considers the demand too modest.

It is announced from Washington that contracts will be put into immediate effect to the amount of $350,000,000 for building torpedo-boat destroyers. This large scheme has to be completed within eighteen months.

The flour mills of Messrs. John Gater & Co., of West End, near Southampton, have been completely gutted by fire. Four hundred sacks of flour and a quantity of maize and rice were destroyed, and the damage is estimated at 10,000.

A patrol boat rescued an exhausted party of ten men from a raft, on which they had been for five days, off the Irish coast. Twelve companions had been washed away or had succumbed. A few were Irish, and one has since died in hospital.

It is stated that the Irish Food Control Committee propose to put a scheme of sugar distribution by ticket into operation in Ireland within the next few months. With this in view some millions of tickets are being prepared at present.

The award of Mr. V. Knox, K.C., in the Belfast tenters' dispute concedes a war increase in wages of 9s a week dating from next pay day after October 4. The application of the men was for an advance of 1 a week consequent on a 100 per cent, increase in cost of living.

According to the latest returns there were in July 700,000 women employed in the manufacture of munitions in the United Kingdom, against 140,000 in July, 1916, an increase of 400 per cent. The number of men employed shows an increase during the same period of 66.6 per cent.

Colonel Sir Arthur Lee, K.C.B., M.P., has placed at the disposal of Prime Ministers or alternatively other leading statesmen of this country an official residence in the country for rest and recuperation. Known as the Chequers estate, it is situated in a sheltered hollow of the Chiltern Hills, Thirty-eight miles to the north-west of London.

Surgeon-Colonel David Edgar Flinn, inspector of reformatory and industrial school in Ireland and medical member of the Prisons Board, has retired, his extended period of office, sanctioned by the Treasury, having expired, and he has been succeeded in both offices by Dr. Charles Joseph MacCormack, a medical inspector under the Local Government Board.

Amid many manifestations of regret the remains of Mr. R. W. Thompson, M.R.C.V.S., Lurgan, whose death took place suddenly on Sabbath, were interred in the New Cemetery, Lurgan, on Wednesday. The chief mourner was the deceased's younger brother, Surgeon J. A. Thompson, R.N. The interment service was conducted by the Rev. W. B. Sproule, B.A., Lurgan.

The Shipping Controller announces that a national rate for mercantile marine sailors will be fixed within four weeks, and be retrospective to the signing of articles since the 6th inst. Foreign going seamen's wages are to be advanced to 11, and firemen's to 11 10s; other rates proportionately, and home-trading men to be also entitled to new rates, the arrangement creating uniform and standard rates.

The death has occurred in Chicago of Mr. William Charles Quinn, eldest son of Mr. W. I. Quinn, accountant to the Belfast City and District Water Commissioners. The deceased, who was only twenty-five years of age, was educated at the Belfast Royal Academical Institution. He was a young man of exceptional ability, was a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, and had been engaged in business in America for the past three years.

Sir Edward Carson, replying to a letter from Mr. Ben Tillett, who urged that the pay of sailors and soldiers should be increased 200 per cent., refers to the recent increase in soldiers' and sailors' pay, and points out that this recommendation alone will cost more than 50,000,000 in the first year, while the total amount spent on pay and allowances will be nearly 300,000,000 per year. "The brave fellows who are fighting have my deepest sympathy and admiration, and I wish the resources of the nation would allow of their being treated even more generously."



His Interest in Missions.

At a largely-attended committee meeting of the Jungle Tribes Mission, under the presidency of Mr. H. M'Cleery, J.P., Rev. Dr. Montgomery reported the death of Mr. Robert Gray, of Brookhill Avenue, who had been one of the original members of the committee. The late Mr. Gray had taken a deep interest in the work of the Jungle Tribes Mission, and had all along been a liberal supporter of its funds. He provided a well for the mission station at Rampur, and had also supported a native worker for many years. The secretaries were instructed to prepare a suitable minute with regard to the loss of their faithful colleague, and also to convey to the relatives of the deceased their very deep sympathy with them in their great loss. It may be added that Mr. Gray was ailing for a considerable period, but never lost his interest in the work of God both at home and abroad.

The Rev. Dr. Montgomery, speaking to a large congregation in the Albert Hall on Sabbath night, said that in the home call of Mr. Robert Gray, the Shankill Road Mission had lost one of its most generous supporters. Ever since the inception of the mission Mr. Gray, had taken a deep interest in the work, not only in regard to its social activities, but also in regard to the evangelistic branch of the work. Mr. Gray was well known in the community as a retiring but very devoted servant of his Lord and Master. His generosity was proverbial, and he gave with a very liberal hand to the good causes of the day. He was not only interested in the work of God at home, but also in spreading the knowledge of the Saviour in heathen lands. Leaders in connection with the various missionary organisations will, he felt sure, bear witness to the generous and ungrudging support which Mr. Gray gave to foreign mission enterprise. The poor will also miss him very much, for no case of real need ever came under his notice that he did not try to help it. They sympathised deeply with the large circle of relatives touched by his death.

The funeral of the deceased, who for many years carried on a lucrative business as a grocer and provision merchant at Millfield, took place on Friday last, and although of a private nature, was largely attended. The interment was at the City Cemetery, and both at the deceased's late residence, 3, Brookhill Avenue, and at the graveside the service was conducted by the Rev. Dr. Henry Montgomery. The funeral arrangements were satisfactorily carried out by Messrs. Melville & Co. Ltd., Townsend Street.



We regret to announce the death of Mr. Samuel Thompson, Edenderry House, Woodvale Road, Belfast. He was a well-known builder and contractor on the Shankill Road for a quarter of a century. Mr. Thompson, who was of a quiet and retiring disposition, was a member of St. Enoch's Presbyterian Church. One of his sons is the Rev. S. W. Thompson, B.A., of Dungannon Presbyterian Church, while another son, Mr. S. E. Thompson, is an estate agent and property broker, carrying on business at Donegall Street, Belfast.



A very interesting wedding ceremony took place yesterday afternoon in Newtonbreda Presbyterian Church, Ormeau Road, Belfast, when Miss Annie Turner, elder daughter of Councillor William George Turner and Mrs. Turner, Donnybrook House, Annadale, married the Rev. Archibald Duff, of Pettigo and Irvinestown, son of Mr. William Robert Duff, of Killymorgan, Ballygawley. The two attendant bridesmaids were Miss Ellie Turner (sister of the bride), and Miss Daisy Graham. Mr. R. A. Duff, Dublin (brother of the bridegroom), acted as best man. The officiating clergy were Rev. W. J. Baird, Agnes Street Presbyterian Church; Rev. Dr. Workman, Newtonbreda; and Rev. T. J. K. Rankin, Legacurry.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 19 October 1917


YOUNG -- October 14, 1917, at The Rock Manse, Loughbrickland, to Rev. W. P. and Mrs. Young -- a son.


DEANS--M'KEOWN -- October 10, 3517, at Railway Street Presbyterian Church, Lisburn, (by the Rev. R. W. Hamilton, M.A., assisted by the Rev. J. Cordner, B.D., and the Rev, J. Deans, B.A. (brother of the bridegroom), Samuel Deans, Lieutenant Royal Irish Rifles, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. James Deans, Ballymacbrennan, Lisburn, to Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James M'Keown, Graham's Place. Lisburn.

DUFF--TURNER -- October 11, 1917, at Newtonbreda Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. W. J. Baird, B.A., assisted by the Revs. Robert Workman, D.D., and T. J. K. Rankin, M.A., the Rev. Archibald Duff, of Pettigo and Irvinestown, son of William R. Duff, of Killymorgan, Ballygawley, to Annie E., elder daughter of Councillor W. G. and Mrs. Turner, of Donnybrook House, Annadale, Belfast.

NELSON--BELL -- October 17, 1917, at the First Presbyterian Church, Bangor, by the Rev. W. J. Currie, B.A., Samuel Nelson, Main Street, Bangor, to Annie, elder daughter of William Henry Bell, The Cottage, Moneyhaw, Moneymore, Co. Derry.

WILSON--DAVISON -- October 10, 1917, by special licence, at Ballydonnelly House, the home of the bride, by Rev. Joseph M'Kinstry, Randalstown, the Rev. Hugh Charles Wilson, Kells, to Olive, daughter of the late Robert Davison, Ballydonnelly House, Randalstown.


NICHOLL -- October 13, 1917, at her residence, The Hill, Loughgilly, Annie E., widow of the late David Nicholl. Interred in family burying-ground, Tyrone's Ditches, on 16th inst.

ANDERSON -- October 13, at her father's residence, 6, Abbey Street, Armagh, Violet, youngest daughter of. Mr. and Mrs. H. Anderson.

APPERSON -- October 12 (suddenly), at his residence, Frances Street, Newtownards, John Apperson.

ARMSTRONG -- October 16, at her residence, Ballycarrickmaddy, Lisburn, Agnes Jane, beloved daughter of Thomas and Ruth Armstrong.

BOYD -- October 12, at her residence, 6, Upper Clonlee, Larne, Margaret, the beloved wife of John Boyd.

BOYD -- October 17, at her late residence, 52, Duncairn Gardens, Belfast, Mary, widow of the late Samuel Boyd, of Carrickfergus.

BROWNE -- October 14, Jane Eakin, wife of John Browne, Ballynenagh House, Moneymore.

CHARD -- October 11, at her daughter's residence, Mary, the widow of the late William Chard, Cushendall.

CRAIG -- October 12, at his residence, Ingledene, Kilrea, Co. Derry, William Craig, aged 74 years.

DEWART -- October 14, at her residence, Tully Herron, Waringstown, Ellen, dearly-beloved wife of Richard Dewart.

DONALDSON -- October 9, 1917, at her residence, Tullyvallen, Newtownhamilton, Co. Armagh, after a lingering illness, Margaret, the beloved wife of David Donaldson. "Asleep in Jesus." American papers please copy.

GRAY -- October 3, at his residence, 3, Brookhill Avenue, Robert Gray.

HOUSTON -- October 8, 1917, at her residence, Killybegs, Co. Donegal, Jane E. Houston, wife of the late Wm. Houston, J.P.

HOUSTON -- October 12, 1917, at Mountjoy House, Omagh, Mary Isabel, the dearly-beloved wife of Robert J. Houston, 66, Brookvale Street, Belfast, and younger daughter of the late John Wilson, M.D., Brookboro'.

HOY -- October 12, at his residence, Clanrole, Portadown, Thomas Hoy.

LONSDALE -- October 11, at his residence, Avenue Road, Lurgan, William Lonsdale.

MAGILL -- Mary, youngest daughter of the late James Magill, Lisboy, Downpatrick.

MAXWELL -- October 17, at his residence, 31, English Street, Armagh, James Maxwell, J.P., in his 81st year.

MORRISON -- October 12, at High Street, Carrickfergus, Mary Poag, wife of William J. Morrison.

M'CREARY -- Suddenly, at his residence, Upper Balloo, Bangor, William M'Creary.

M'GIBBEN -- October 12 (suddenly), Samuel, son of the late Francis M'Gibben, Killynure, Carryduff.

M'MORRAN -- October 11, at his residence, Killynether Cottage, James, third son of Hugh and Selina M'Morran.

NEILL -- October 14, at his residence, Armitage Place, Newcastle, Co. Down (after a lingering illness), Frederick Charles Neill, builder and contractor, aged 68 years.

RAINEY -- October 15, at her residence, Umery, Antrim, Jane, second daughter of the late James Rainey.

RINGLAND -- October 17, at her residence, Tullynacross, Lambeg, Mary, relict of the late Thomas Ringland.

ROBINSON -- October 14, at the residence of her brother, Aughnamillan House, Crumlin, Mary A. Robinson, late of New Street, Randalstown.

THOMPSON -- October 12 (suddenly), at his residence, Townparks, Magherafelt, Henry Thompson.

TOMLINSON -- October 11 (suddenly), at her son-in-law's residence, Vernersbridge, Mary, the beloved wife of Wm. Tomlinson.



The death took place on Sabbath of Mr. Nathaniel Hone, R.H.A., the eminent Irish landscape painter.

The "wired cages" through which visitors have had to see their friends who are Sinn Fein prisoners in Mountjoy Prison have been abandoned.

Belfast Gas Committee have decided to give gas to taxi proprietors at a cheap rate for motive power, garage owners are to erect compressing plant.

A Serbian official statement states that a reign of terror prevails in Bosnia. In one single day 100 persons were sentenced to death by the Austrians and summarily shot.

Police and people came into conflict after the races in Listowel. Disturbances followed the arrest of a deserter, and some persons were shot and police injured by stones.

The number of live stock shipped from Belfast port for the week ended 13th inst. was -- 2,368 cattle, 313 sheep, 10 horses; total, 2,591. For corresponding week last year -- 4,372 cattle, 514 sheep, 406 swine, 12 horses; total, 5,304.

Sir Robert Borden has succeeded in forming a Coalition Government in Canada. Following the British precedent it is proposed that there should be a small War Council of seven members -- four Conservatives and three Liberals.

Mr. John Hodge, Minister of Pensions, speaking, in Birmingham, said he hoped within a few weeks to announce a scheme to restart small traders who had had their businesses ruined as the result of their being called to the colours.

As the result of negotiations which have recently been taking place, Brownlow House Orange Hall, Lurgan, is about to be transformed into a U.V.F. Hospital for the accommodation of some sixty sick and wounded Ulster officers.

The Executive Council of the Amalgamated Society of Engineers have passed a resolution recommending that the society should secede from the Engineering and Shipbuilding Trades Federation. The opinion of members will be taken by ballot.

Mr. John M'Mullan, of Cloughey, County Down, farmer and merchant, who died on 14th June last, left personal estate in the United Kingdom valued at 10,456 15s 9d. The testator bequeathed 200 to the Treasurer of Cloughey Meeting-house.

The Board of Trade has increased the price of coal at the pit mouth by 2s 6d per ton to meet the cost of the increase in wages recently granted to the miners. For house coal the increase takes effect from October 15, and for other coal as from September 17.

The steam trawler King Harold, of Grimsby, foundered following an explosion, which resulted in four deaths and several men injured. A ton of carbide fell into, the bilges, and the water caused the generation of acetylene gas. This ignited, and blew up the vessel.

Lord Derby, speaking at Liverpool, dwelt on the magnificent spirit of our men and the absolute certainty of victory. He believed the English people were not to be rattled by air attacks, and they should, with confidence leave reprisals to the military authorities.

A Charlestown, South Carolina, message says three members of the crew of the German steamer Liebenfels, which was sunk at anchorage there in January, have been sentenced to two years' imprisonment and fined 1,000 dollars each for conspiracy to sink the vessel.

The Canadian Government has issued a proclamation calling up the unmarried men and childless widowers between the ages of twenty and thirty-four comprised in Class 1 of the Military Service Act. The exemption tribunals begin their sittings on November 8.

The weekly returns of pigs killed in Ireland, continue to show very large decreases as compared with this period last year. The number killed during the week-ended 11th inst. was 19,147, as against 31,177 in the corresponding week of 1916; exported, 3,353, against 7,072.

Sir. W. H. Veno, the chairman of the Column Club, Manchester, offers 1,000 to the British airman who drops the first bomb on Berlin. In a letter announcing this he says the bravery of our airmen needs no incentive, but the act deserves its practical reward.

One plant of up-to-date potatoes grown by Mr. James Mason, 39, Kyle Street, Strandtown, in the Sydenham allotments, produced eleven tubers weighing 8lbs. 2ozs. The largest potato weighed 1lb. 14ozs. and the three largest 3½lbs. The potatoes were grown from a split seed.

The dispute between the Belfast carters and the Master Carriers' Association, which has been proceeding for some weeks past, has been amicably settled. The men are to be paid a three shillings advance for last week, and are to receive four shillings a week extra thereafter.

It was suggested at a meeting of the Belfast National Teachers' Association that it should affiliate with the Trades Council. Mr. P. T. Daly, secretary Irish Trades Congress, said so long as the teachers are content with passing resolutions, so long would they remain insufficiently paid.

It is officially announced that the King has been pleased to confer the dignity of a peerage of the United Kingdom upon the Right Hon. Sir Francis Hopwood. The new peer, who is secretary of the Irish Convention, has been for more than thirty years a prominent member of the Civil Service.

In connection with "Our Day" in aid of the British Red Cross, the King sent a donation of 10,000; the Queen, 1,000; the Prince of Wales (telegraphing from the front), 3,000; the American Red Cross, 200,000 (with message signed by Major Murphy, Commissioner for Europe).

Thirty-seven men of a party of 200, who were reported to be engaged in military evolutions in a field in Co. Dublin, were detained by the police for a time, being afterwards liberated. Five Boy Scouts were also detained, and their names and addresses having been taken, they were discharged.

The inadequacy of the stipends paid to certain ministers of the United Free Church was commented on at an "at home" given by Sir William and Lady Bilsland in Glasgow, and appeals were made on behalf of the Central Fund for the purpose of raising the minimum stipend in the Church.

At a meeting of the North Bristol Liberal Association, a letter was read from Mr. Birrell announcing with regret his retirement at the next election. He added that, he no longer possessed those reserves of strength which the experience of nine contested elections had taught him were necessary for those exhilarating occasions.

Speaking at Loughborough, Mr. Ramsay MacDonald emphasised the need for keeping the higher rate of wages, and said cheeseparing and keeping on starvation wages were false economies from the national point of view. They wanted no patched-up peace or peace at any price, which would bring war in ten years' time. They wanted to remove the causes of war.

In the Presbyterian Churches of Scotland Sabbath was observed as Children's Day. Special services were held, and at these the officiating ministers selected subjects of discourse suitable to the occasion, such as the place of children in the Church, and also made appeal for workers among the young. In some cases Children's Day was associated with harvest thanksgiving services.

Mr. John M. MacLeod, M.P., speaking at a social meeting in Glasgow, in connection with the induction of the Rev. J. Mitchell Kerr as minister of Woodside Church, said that if the fruits of what the men at the front were fighting for were to be secured to the country and to the world the actions of the different communities must rest on religion. Religion must be the sum and substance of the life of the nations.



Mr. James Maxwell, J.P., passed away on Wednesday at his residence, Armagh. Mr. Maxwell for many years occupied a prominent position in the public life of the city and district. He was for the last ten years chairman of the Armagh Board of Guardians, and occupied a seat on most of the public Boards of the city. He was a staunch Unionist, and for many years he acted as secretary of the Mid-Armagh Constitutional Association. Mr. Maxwell, who was in his eightieth year, was a member of First Armagh Presbyterian Church.



There passed away, at an advanced age, on Friday morning, at his residence, "Huntly," Queen Street, a well-known personality in the commercial and social life of Ballymoney, Mr. John Ferguson, who for over forty years carried on with much success the business at a printer. A Scotsman by birth, belonging to Aberdeen, his commercial ability soon gained him a high reputation and extensive patronage; and having gained a competence he retired from business a few years ago. He was the first to introduce music printing in Ballymoney; and collecting a large amount of stereos of sacred music, he was enabled to cater for choir festivals in many parts of Ireland and elsewhere. As a precentor, the late Mr. Ferguson led the praise in every Presbyterian Church in Ballymoney, and in this connection his services were rendered with a grace that was highly appreciated by all who took part. Mr. Ferguson married, firstly, Miss Irwin, of Church Street, Ballymena, who predeceased him; and secondly, the present Mrs. Ferguson, who is a Cavan lady, and by whom in his recent illness he was devotedly and tenderly nursed. The funeral to the New Cemetery on Monday last was largely attended by the business people in town, the general public, and representatives of the various public Boards. Rev. A. H. Dill officiated. There were a large number of floral tributes.



A gentleman who was well-known in connection with the milling industry in the North of Ireland passed away on the 12th inst. in the person of Mr. William Craig, of Ingledene, Kilrea. He was a member of an old milling family, being the youngest son of the late Mr, Alexander Craig. Born in the year 1843, he grew up with the business which he did so much to develop. His wide experience and sound judgment were always at the command of the public. When the Mercer's Company sold their estate they invited him to become a member of the Market and School Trusts. He also acted on the Bog Trust and in other spheres of general usefulness. In Church matters he took a lively interest, having been teacher and superintendent in the Sabbath-school for a long, term of years, and up to the time of his death was senior elder of First Kilrea Presbyterian Church. In connection with his church activities he acted as precentor at Finvoy and at Second Kilrea, where he was the recipient of many tangible expressions of the high appreciation and esteem of the congregations. Music, especially church and choral music, was the late Mr. Craig's passionate devotion in his leisure hours. He was a man of the most kindly and affectionate nature, and his genial and cheerful disposition made him a great favourite. A widow, six sons, and two daughters mourn his loss, and in their sad bereavement they will have the heartfelt sympathy of a wide circle of friends.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 26 October 1917

Roll of Honour

MacFARLAND -- October 17, in hospital, London, from septic pneumonia, following wounds received in Flanders on August 20th, George Adams MacFarland, Capt. R.A.M.C., only son of the late Rev. George MacFarland, Belfast.


DICKEY -- October 22, 1917, at the Ashley Nursing Home, Belfast, to Rev. and Mrs. J. Knox Dickey, of The Manse, Bready, Strabane, -- a son.

M'KEE -- October 17, at Beaumont Manse, Mindrum, Northumberland, to Rev. John and Mrs. M'Kee -- a son.


PATTON--HEWITT -- October 9, 1917, at Castlereagh Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. Dr. Little, Hugh M'Culley, second son of John Patton, Ballymaleddy, Comber, to Jeanie Evangeline, youngest daughter of David Hewitt, Ards-Vue, Crossnacreevy, Castlereagh.

WARNOCK--M'NIECE -- October 23, 1917, at M'Kelvey's Grove Presbyterian Church, by Rev. S. Gault, LL.D., James, son of Wm. Warnock, Corclea Mills, Newtownhamilton, to Margaret, eldest daughter of John M'Niece, Knocknanin, Castleblayney.


ATKINSON -- October 8, at Boksburg, South Africa, Edith Geraldine, dearly-loved wife of C. W. F. Atkinson, Resident Magistrate, and daughter-in-law of Frank Atkinson, 3, Carisbrooke Terrace, Bangor, Co. Down.

BARRON -- October 23, at her residence, Roughfort, Mallusk, Martha Algie, relict of the late Robert Barron.

BAXTER -- October 19, at his residence, 79, Battenberg Street, Belfast, James, the beloved husband of Annie Baxter.

BRYSON -- October 22, at his residence, Fourtowns, Robert Bryson.

CLARKE -- October 17, at his residence, Ballywalter, Samuel Clarke.

CLARKE -- October 22, 1917, at Spires House, Galway, the Rev. John Courtenay Clarke, D.D., aged 68.

CRAWFORD -- October 21, at the residence of her brother, Samuel Orr, Farranshane, Martha Isabella, the wife of William Crawford.

KELLY -- October 10, at Cliff Cottage, Tromode, Douglas, Isle of Man, William Kelly, aged 76, formerly of Monkstown Mills.

KERR -- October 22, at Lennoxville, Suffolk Street, Ballymena, Matilda Kerr, wife of Thomas Hugh Kerr.

MILLAR -- October 19, at her residence, Carntall, Margaret, dearly-beloved wife of Wm. James Millar.

MILLAR -- October 23, at his residence, Carntall, William James Millar.

MILLIKEN -- October 22, at her residence, Tullynagardy, Grace Auld Colville, relict of the late James Milliken.

MOORE -- October 22, W. H. D. Moore, of Westfield, Lurgan.

M'CABE -- October 18, at his father's residence, 3, Greenhill, Lambeg, Robert Daniel, seventh son of Henry and Jane M'Cabe.

M'CLEERY -- October 22, at his residence, Post Office, Dromore, Co. Down, Hugh M'Cleery.

M'NEILLY -- October 23, at 27, Frances Street, Newtownards, Elizabeth M'Neilly.

ORR -- October 23, at her residence, 217, Mountpottinger Road, Mary J. C. Orr (late Eia Street, Newtownards).

PATCHELL -- October 20, at 4, Lorelei, Bangor, Co. Down, Alice Louisa, wife of W. A. Patchell, and daughter of the late Robert Neville, Johnstown, Co. Kilkenny.

PAUL -- October 18 (suddenly), Robert L. Paul, 31, Sandhurst Drive, late of 1, Wolseley Street, Belfast, and formerly of Killycowan, Glarryford.

REILLY -- October 19, at 66, Cromwell Road, Belfast, Katherine (Cassie), dearly-beloved sister of E. Reilly and Mrs. James M'Cullough, Bangor.

SANG -- October 21, at the residence of his son, 22, Stranmillis Gardens, William Drysdale Sang, retired civil engineer, late of Kirkcaldy.

TAYLOR -- October 21, at his residence, 14, Camberwell Terrace, Belfast, Charles Hall Taylor, son of the late James Taylor, Harryville, Ballymena.

WALLACE -- October 21, at his residence, Ballyrobin, Robert Wallace.

WILSON -- October 24, at his residence, Lisniskey, Portadown, James Wilson, in his 83rd year.



It is stated by the Cologne correspondent of the Amsterdam "Tyd" that up to September German casualties amounted to 8,250,000 killed, wounded, missing, or prisoners.

Sir E. Carson, writing the Duke of Buccleuch, at a Trafalgar dinner on Saturday, said that under God's guidance the British Navy would triumph under the cunning of the foe, and liberty would be assured.

His Eminence Cardinal Logue, replying to an inquiry by Mr. Austin Harrison on the subject of the International Magna Charta, says he has no control over the Sinn Feiners; that the success of the Convention is the only remedy, and that if it fails chaos will follow.

A fierce and destructive fire occurred at the flour milling works of W. Vernon & Sons, on the Wallasey portion of the Mersey Dock estate, resulting in the total loss of one of their big establishments, known as the Old Mill. The damage runs into tens of thousands of pounds.

Lord Beresford, speaking in East Islington, attributed the loss of the convoyed ships to spying, said the Navy could be trusted to do its duty. He would bomb four German towns for every English town attacked, and the Government must supply the necessary aircraft.

Rev. John Melbourne Perry, M.A., who was inducted vicar of Gorleston on Friday by the Bishop of Norwich, and was to have commenced his duties by conducting Sabbath's services, was taken suddenly ill on Saturday afternoon and died. Mr. Perry was thirty-five years of age.

The death has taken place at his residence, 14, Stanley Gardens, London, W., of Professor Edward Hull, late Director of the Geological Survey of Ireland, and Professor of Geology in the Royal College of Science, Dublin. He was a native of Antrim, and was in his eighty-ninth year.

Most Rev. Dr. Morrisroe, Bishop of Achonry, speaking at the close of a mission at Gurteen, Co. Sligo, said if people would engage in public controversies he hoped they would do so with moderation, as it was unpatriotic and unjust to hurl foul epithets and abominable accusations at fellow-countrymen and honourable men.

Two escaped German prisoners of war, one of whom had been in captivity nearly three years and the other about six months, have been recaptured on board ship at Plymouth. They had escaped from France in a neutral vessel bound for New York. They were discovered hiding in the coal bunkers, and are now in military custody.

In Parliament Sir John Spear asked the Secretary to the Ministry of Food if he would state the number of cattle taken for the army in England and Wales and Scotland and Ireland respectively during the month of September. Mr. Prothero said the figures were -- England and Wales, 13,091; Scotland, 1,205; and Ireland, 4,222.

The Ministry of Food has issued a statement pointing out that retail prices of meat have not in many cases been reduced on a scale corresponding to the decrease in wholesale prices since the Order came into force. Butchers are warned that the authorities will make full use of their powers to keep charges within the prescribed limits.

The Food Controller has made an order requiring all persons carrying on business in Great Britain as wholesale dealers in sugar to make a return specifying any customers in Ireland to whom they supply sugar, together with particulars of the amounts of sugar so supplied. This return must be made not later than October 31, upon a form which can be obtained upon application to the Ministry of Food.



An Ex-Moderator of the General Assembly.

It is with feelings of sincere regret that we announce the death of the Rev. John Courtenay Clarke, D.D., senior minister of Galway Presbyterian Church, and an ex-Moderator of the General Assembly, which took place on Monday at his residence, Spires House, Galway, in the 69th year of his age and the 42nd year of his ministry. For the past year or more the deceased had been in very poor health, though it was only three weeks ago that the Rev. W. P. Young was installed as his assistant and successor. Deceased was a son of the late Mr. David Clarke, Poplar Vale, Gracehill, Ballymena. His early education was received in the local school, then later in Ballymena, and subsequently at Gracehill Academy. With a view to the ministry he entered the Royal Belfast Academical Institution, and was there prepared for matriculation in the Queen's College, where he graduated in 1873. His theological classes were taken in the Assembly's College, and while studying there he acted as secretary of the Students' Missionary Association. During his under-graduate career he was under the care of the Ballymena Presbytery, and was licensed in 1874 as a probationer for the ministry. Shortly afterwards he received a call from the congregation of Magherally, County Down, to be assistant and successor to the Rev. James Thompson. After seven years of faithful service in Magherally, he accepted a call to Galway, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Rev. Dr. Robb. The Galway congregation, like many others in Ireland outside Ulster, had then suffered much through emigration, and yet at the time of Dr. Clarke's retirement it was in as healthy and vigorous a condition as at any period of its history. In addition to his more direct ministerial work, the deceased was instrumental in having erected a commodious manse, whilst the church was entirely renovated, so that the entire property is now in a perfect state of repair. In 1888 he was appointed convener of the Church Extension Scheme, now known as the Home Mission. Those who labour in the outposts of Irish Presbyterianism know how sympathetic he always was towards them, and how their hearts were cheered and their burdens lightened by the liberal grants made to them out of his exchequer. This convenership he held till about three years ago, when facing health compelled him to resign. All through his ministry Dr. Clarke took a deep interest in education. At one time no fewer than seventeen young men belonging to his congregation were studying in Galway and elsewhere. He was the Presbyterian Dean of Residence on Galway College, and under the new University regulations he was appointed a member of the governing body of University College in 1907, on the death of the Rev. H. B. Wilson, D.D., Cookstown, a member of the Board of National Education, he was appointed a Commissioner, and in him the teachers found one ever ready to further their interests. When Lord Aberdeen came to Ireland as the representative of his Majesty Dr. Clarke was nominated as one of his honorary chaplains, and on different occasions he conducted Divine worship at the Castle. In 1900, in recognition of the services be had rendered the Church, he received the degree of Doctor of Divinity from the Faculties of the two theological colleges. In 1890 he was Moderator of the Dublin Synod, and in 1909 he was unanimously called to the Moderatorship of the General Assembly in succession to Rev. Dr. M'Ilveen. He devoted himself unsparingly to the discharge of the duties of his high office, and by his official visits to different centres he gave a marked impetus to the work which the ministers are doing. Dr. Clarke was on all the leading committees of the Church, and in the work of the Assembly generally he took more than an academic interest. His death removes one of the most distinguished sons of the Presbyterian Church, and with his family and congregation there will be genuine sympathy in the great loss they have sustained.

The funeral took place yesterday, and was largely attended.



Rev. Dinsdale Young, preaching at the Wesleyan Central Hall, Westminster, on Sabbath evening, announced that just prior to entering the hall he was informed that Rev. Thomas Spurgeon had passed away. Mr. Young paid a tribute to the memory of Mr. Spurgeon, whom he described as the son of the greatest preachers that England had ever produced.

Rev. Thomas Spurgeon, who was president of the Pastors' College and of Stockwell Orphanage, founded by hast illustrious father, had just celebrated his 61st birthday. He succeeded his father in the pastorate of the Metropolitan Tabernacle, and resigned through ill-health in 1908. Earlier in life he had been pastor of the Baptist Church at Auckland, New Zealand. He married the eldest daughter of Mr. Gideon Rutherford, of Dunedin, New Zealand, by whom he had one son and one daughter.



A Well Known Christian Worker

Many will regret to learn of the death of Mr. Robert L. Paul, which occurred with startling suddenness, at his residence, 31, Sandhurst Drive, Stranmillis, on the 18th inst. The late Mr. Paul, who came to reside in Belfast some sixteen years ago, was a native of Glarryford, County Antrim, where he farmed extensively and carried on a large grocery and general retail business. When resident in the country he was an active worker in Killymurris Presbyterian Church, of which he was congregational treasurer, and organised and superintended a large and successful Sabbath-school at Tullygrawley. He was much esteemed by his friends and neighbours for his good nature, kindly disposition, and high Christian character. With wonderful adaptability Mr. Paul entered into the spirit of city life, and in every enterprise for the progress and prosperity of Belfast he took a keen interest, and gave to every good cause all the help in his power. He was a member of the Fitzroy Avenue Church, and taught a large class of young women in M'Clure Street afternoon Sabbath school. He was a very devoted member of the Central Presbyterian Association, and served on its governing body and various committees. He acted as honorary secretary, of the Men's Conversational Bible-class on Sabbath mornings, and was hardly ever absent from the class meetings. No later than 11th inst. he took a prominent part in the annual meeting of the C.P.A. Mr. Paul leaves a widow, two sons, and a daughter to mourn his loss. One of his sons is the Rev. F. J. Paul, M.A., B.D., a distinguished professor in M'Crea Magee College, Londonderry. The other son, Mr. R. J. Paul, J.P., succeeded his father in the farm and business at Killycowan, Glarryford, and the daughter is married to Mr. Reid, a County Antrim farmer. The funeral which was private, took place on Saturday to the family burying-ground at Killymurris. An impressive service in house. of mourning was conducted by the Rev. William Colquhoun, B.A., who accompanied the mourners to the place of interment, where he was assisted in the commital service by the Rev. M. A. Thompson, B.A., Killymurris.


^ top of page